Profile for A. Coleman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Coleman "Forever A Bibliophile" RSS Feed (Kentucky)

Acrylic Knit Thigh-High Leg Warmer, Black
Acrylic Knit Thigh-High Leg Warmer, Black
Offered by S A M F E
Price: $7.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, February 23, 2013
I can't stand to sleep in pajama pants because they twist around as I move. Drives me crazy! So I wear these with a nightgown to sleep. They keep me warm and they are in exactly the same place when I wake up as they were when I went to bed. I've washed them several times and laid them flat to dry; they still look great and stay in place perfectly. I'm back to buy another pair in a different color!

Treachery in Death
Treachery in Death
by J.D. Robb
437 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Getting Better, February 27, 2011
This review is from: Treachery in Death (Hardcover)
I've been reading the "In Death" series for years. I stumbled onto "Witness in Death" and read it before realizing it was part of a series. I loved Witness so much I read all the titles that had been released to that point in a matter of days. For a series of novels involving the same core of characters, Robb manages to keep every novel fresh. I admit, there was a lull for me in a couple of books, but I loved the characters and pace of writing so much I stayed loyal and kept reading. I'm so glad now that I did. Somehow this author has breathed all new life and excitement into a series that spans so many books it's almost inconceivable that it's still SO good.

As with all lengthy series, there are some books that hit me on deep levels and set themselves apart from the others. "Treachery in Death" is definitely one of those. Without giving away anything--while saying enough that those who have already read it will understand--the final scene in Oberman's bullpen actually brought tears to my eyes. I almost think this book would have lived up to the title of "Loyalty in Death" even more so than the novel actually by that name. I loved, loved, loved this book.

I laughed right out loud when the Candy Thief was brought back into play. I can't help but be curious about who the Thief is but I live in fear of the book that outs him/her. I feel like that will be a major clue the series is coming to its end. I am really not prepared to deal with that, not by a long shot.

Great book, great plot, typical pithy banter. All the ingredients that make this series so addictive.

Timeless
Timeless
by Samantha McHargue
Price: $16.95
21 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeles Story of Loss and Love, July 30, 2010
This review is from: Timeless (Paperback)
Timeless is a novel of familiar themes presented in a unique plot. Since others have hit the highlights of the story, I won't repeat it. I will say Ms. McHargue has a real flair for bringing readers into the world she's created. As someone who's never been to the setting of this novel, I nonetheless feel I would recognize each of the places the author mentioned. Truly, if you enjoy a good plot with a lot of excitement, this is a novel for you. The added beauty of her eloquent descriptions only add to the overall reading experience. Additionally, Timeless is filled with characters you can't forget even after you've finished the book. Lexi and Reed's interactions are always intense due to their attraction to one another, but often their conversations have the perfect blend of heat and humor. All-in-all, Timeless is a good mix of fantasy, romance, and thrills. Well worth the read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2013 5:35 PM PDT

One Silent Night (A Dark-Hunter Novel)
One Silent Night (A Dark-Hunter Novel)
by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.99
229 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's called character development, people..., December 23, 2008
I could write a very long review of this book, but the synopsis has been covered by many others. However, there does seem to be a bit of confusion about why Kenyon would write a story about a well-known villain, much less one that gives said bad guy a happy ending that has its warm and fuzzy moments.

As stated in the title, I'm pretty sure this new side of Stryker is character development in action. Granted, Stryker has been seen many times in the preceding novels, but he has always been a secondary character. We saw only the parts of him that played into the stories at hand. I've read several reviews that castigated Kenyon for "springing" this kinder side of Stryker on readers, but I don't understand what other option was available to the author. Stryker's character had never been utilized in a manner than would have required--or even supported--a deeper analysis of who he is. It would have been far more contrived to throw in personal details about him before this point. Why in the world would we have cared about Styker's personal demons in any previous story when all previous stories focused on SOMEONE ELSE? It wasn't as if there was NO clues about Stryker's capacity for love and kindness before "One Silent Night."

Finally, I am similarly confused by anyone's shock over the revelations about Nick. Seriously, while the clues might have been well-written and therefore subtle, I'm guessing most readers knew that Nick was something more than met the eye way before this novel. His reunion with Ash, while stilted and far from joyous, was one of the best parts of this book. I love that it gives us hope for the future of their friendship.

This was a really enjoyable book that showed the expanding world of the Dark Hunters. I can't wait to see how the new characters (especially Jared) will fit into the future of the series. I also can't wait to see if my guess as to which new character will be Simi's hero proves to be true. Well worth the time and money for any DH fan.

Acheron (Dark-Hunter, Book 12)
Acheron (Dark-Hunter, Book 12)
by Sherrilyn Kenyon
268 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read., December 23, 2008
I only recently stumbled across this series. I've read all of the novels and novellas in the last month, so I suppose one might assume that I didn't eagerly anticipate "Acheron." It was, after all, already out when I began reading "Fantasy Lover." However, from the first mention of Acheron, I had to force myself not to skip straight to the last book. I'm so glad I waited. While "Acheron" could be read as a stand-alone, the reader would miss out on so much, and the depth and richness of Ash's character would be lessened.

I read many of the less positive reviews of the book and can--to a small extent--see where those readers were coming from. Ash's story is very hard to read; the abuse and vile treatment he suffers is often enough to turn the reader's stomach. That said, I believe Kenyon did not belabor the harshness of Ash's early life. Rather, after more than 20 separate stories that hinted at the trauma of his human existence, it would have been ludicrous for anyone to expect an explanation of Ash's character to be crammed into a hundred pages. Further, the various passages of abuse were all related to the broader story and were not a sadistic tableau of beatings and violence. It was the abuse itself--those who dealt it to him and the reasons behind it--that truly gave us the early story of this dynamic character.

My only regret? I would love to have seen more of Tory and Ash's contemporary story. After learning so much about Ash, I would have expected a bit more of a struggle on his part to love and trust. Then again, the unexpected simplicity of their love story could well be an intentional decision on the author's part and a testament to the "rightness" of their bond.

All in all, a fantastic read that I could see myself reading over and over.