Profile for Susan K. Schoonover > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1546

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Susan K. Schoonover "Sue Yingling" RSS Feed (Boulder, CO)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
dr. brandt Cellusculpt, 6.3 oz.
dr. brandt Cellusculpt, 6.3 oz.
Price: $59.00

2.0 out of 5 stars I Did Not See Many If Any Results, March 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While this product goes on easily and has a reassuring medicinal smell that makes you believe this product might actually get rid of cellulite I at least have not seen that much in the way of results. Granted I am fifty something and have been overweight at times in my life so maybe I am just too tough of a customer for dr. brandt. But personally I would not spend almost $60 a tube to give this any more trials.

Miracle-Gro Liquafeed Universal Feeder Starter Kit
Miracle-Gro Liquafeed Universal Feeder Starter Kit
Price: $15.99
8 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great New Concept From Miracle-Gro, March 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love growing flowers and vegetables in the spring and summer and Miracle-Gro is my go to feeder to help them be at their best. This new product from Miracle-Gro is great as it attaches to your outdoor spigot which should make feeding flowers and veggies much much easier. I will try this first hand when the weather warms up here in Colorado hopefully later this month. I'll update when the weather permits but right now I say great concept from a great company that I can't wait to try.

All the Rage
All the Rage
by Courtney Summers
Price: $13.40

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Young Adult Novel With Very Familiar Themes, March 3, 2015
This review is from: All the Rage (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
ALL THE RAGE is a well written book but it doesn't have much new to say that other young adult novels have not covered on the topic of rape. Perhaps to make her novel stand out from the others author Courtney Summers have told her story in a non linear fashion and thankfully she is a strong enough writer to still tell her story in a coherent way. Still the themes of ALL THE RAGE have been covered so many times I can't give the book more than three stars.

The Poser: A Novel
The Poser: A Novel
by Jacob Rubin
Price: $19.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Puzzling, Pretentious, Poser, March 3, 2015
This review is from: The Poser: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
THE POSER is a short fable like book that to me seemed pretentious and not nearly as deep and meaningful as the author was hoping it would be. At times the book confused me and while some other reviewers find it funny I simply found it puzzling. I did not really enjoy the beginning, middle or end of the book and can not rate it more than two stars.

Moody Bitches: The Truth About the Drugs You're Taking, The Sleep You're Missing, The Sex You're Not Having, and What's Really Making You Crazy
by Julie Holland M.D.
Price: $20.93
44 used & new from $12.94

2.0 out of 5 stars From The Author of WEEKENDS AT BELLEVUE, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit I read, disliked (and reviewed) Julie Holland's memoir WEEKENDS AT BELLEVUE when it first appeared several years ago. WEEKENDS AT BELLEVUE is a book about her time "running" the psychiatric emergency room at Bellevue Hospital mostly on the overnight shift. In that book Dr. Holland revealed in what seemed to me to be an extremely unlikable tone and voice her disdain and lack of respect for her patients, the appearance of utter selfishness on her part in several situations, an overall sense of entitlement, as well as many actions on the job that would have gotten most people dismissed. It was my impression that after leaving Bellevue she became a peddler of prescription drugs to the wealthy as well as a media "expert" on a variety of psychiatric topics that allowed her to feed her rampant ego and appear on television. I will fully admit the impression Dr. Holland left in my mind from reading her memoir may have negatively influenced my review of her new book MOODY BITCHES.

MOODY BITCHES a sort of self help book for women tells us females it is all about "survival of the bitchiest". She tells us we should "let our true feelings show, and save your sanity and your health." Obviously Dr. Holland does practice what she preaches as she fully demonstrated in her memoir but I am not sure how well her approach will work for those less privileged and self-confident. And there is little else in the book that is not commonly known or even common sense. The book is easy to access and as another reviewer put it a lot like a very long Cosmo article. To add some authenticity and heft to her book she does include a lengthy appendix about drugs, a short glossary and some chapter by chapter impressive looking notes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2015 5:23 AM PST

T.S. Shure Map of the World Magnetic Playboard and Puzzle
T.S. Shure Map of the World Magnetic Playboard and Puzzle
Price: $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Thin Board And Small Puzzle Pieces, February 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This magnetic map was smaller than I expected both in sizes of the pieces and in the thickness of the board. While some continents (Africa and Europe) show the individual countries quite well, others like North American just show sections rather than provinces or states. Because of the smallness of the pieces even with the magnetic element I can see these pieces getting lost and I don't see this is a puzzle that will have a real long life. The images though small are colorful and appealing to children.

Tacwise 140 1/4 Inch to 9/16 Inch Staple Selection Pack for Hand/Hammer Tackers (compatible with Staples type G11 & T50), Box of 4400 (TAC0350)
Offered by Big Red Toolbox UK
Price: $18.70
3 used & new from $11.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Selection Of Staples, Great Price, February 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With this pack you get a collection of 4,400 staples of different sizes and strengths at a very reasonable price. Any one who uses a staple gun for home improvement or other projects will appreciate this set.

Gwendolen: A Novel
Gwendolen: A Novel
by Diana Souhami
Price: $12.00
21 used & new from $5.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Based On George Eliot's Daniel Deronda, February 20, 2015
This review is from: Gwendolen: A Novel (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I ordered this book I had no idea it was based on George Eliot's classic Daniel Deronda. I've never read the novel or seen the Masterpiece Theater production but I plan to at some point in the near future so I have to take a pass on this novel as I don't want the plot points from GWEDOLEN to spoil my enjoyment of the classic book.

The Whites: A Novel
The Whites: A Novel
by Harry Brandt
Price: $16.80
42 used & new from $16.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Much More Literary Than A Police Procedural, February 20, 2015
This review is from: The Whites: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The new novel THE WHITES is much more than the usual New York City based police procedural. It is a layered novel that requires the reader to invest some time, patience and thought in to it. There are a lot of characters with a lot of stories in the novel that take awhile to tease out and some of them are not all that compelling and personally I think the book would have been better with a bit of streamlining. Still with all the controversies around police currently it is a timely read.

Amherst: A Novel
Amherst: A Novel
by William Nicholson
Price: $19.71
67 used & new from $6.35

2.0 out of 5 stars Basically A Below Average Romance Novel With Two Skeins In Different Time Periods, February 16, 2015
This review is from: Amherst: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Author William Nicholson lost quite a bit of credibility in my eyes when on the first page of the second chapter of AMHERST a character without hyperbole refers to Emily Dickinson's relatives in late 19th century Massachusetts as Puritans. As I read on the two parallel "love stories" one fictional and set in modern times and the other about Emily's married fifty something brother's real life affair with a much younger professor's wife were too cliched and poorly written for me to take seriously. The two stories are linked because Alice the female lead in the contemporary tale is doing research for a screenplay about the 19th century pair and because her own love affair has some similarities to the one from the 1880's she is studying. Emily Dickinson is just a secondary character in the book though some of her poetry is used. This is way too much of a sub par romance novel for me to give more than two stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20