Profile for Evan Graham > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Evan Graham RSS Feed

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, October 21, 2014
Died in four weeks.

Acer Aspire NX.M89AA.003;V5-131-2887 11.6-Inch Laptop
Acer Aspire NX.M89AA.003;V5-131-2887 11.6-Inch Laptop

5.0 out of 5 stars Chromebook? Tablet? No way! Try this instead...IF you're familiar with Linux, November 29, 2013
For what it is, it's a 5 star product. Not sure what you can expect at this price point, but I've been pleasantly surprised by this machine. Here's a few notes about the product I received:

Pro's

- The unit comes with a 1.5 GHz dual-core Celeron - not a 1.1.
- This machine will technically run Windows 7 (had issues with 8) but it's incredibly slow doing so, not to mention you will need to fetch drivers off the Interwebs. Do a query for "Aspire V5-133" if you go to Acer's site.
- Linux runs great! Have tried Debian/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS/Linux Mint 15/LMDE and all install without a hitch.

Cons

- The mouse on this unit is next to terrible - get a USB mouse or face constant aggravation.
- The screen quality is sub-par but what do you want at this price.
- The machine is technically user serviceable but I didn't feel comfortable replacing the HD without potentially causing problems. Pretty sure YouTube can help though.

Summary

I'm pretty sure this is the cheapest laptop you can get to run full blown Linux rather than Chrome OS. This was the draw for me. If you don't run Linux, quite frankly, stay away from this laptop; it's just not equipped to handle mainstream applications and operating environments. That said, if you don't want a tablet and know a little bit about Linux, I'd deem this an excellent value in this price range and beyond.

Hope this helps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2014 12:10 PM PST

Patriot 32GB Supersonic Rage Series USB 3.0 Flash Drive With Up To 180MB/sec- PEF32GSRUSB
Price: Click here to see our price
64 used & new from $15.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Died after 1 year of light use, November 18, 2013
Transfer speeds are definitely better than USB2, but I don't know what to expect from USB3. Mine died after only a year of periodic usage. Your mileage may vary.

Welcome Ihome 84"height 5 Arm Arch Floor Lamp - Black with Dimmer Switch
Welcome Ihome 84"height 5 Arm Arch Floor Lamp - Black with Dimmer Switch
Offered by Four Bros
Price: $97.93
6 used & new from $76.92

5.0 out of 5 stars TALL but perfect, September 25, 2013
This is a very tall floor lamp - just a heads up. Wouldn't fit in most rooms without a high ceiling. Love the dimmer on this - didn't realize it came with it when I bought it. The lamp is solid black, but there's slits on each light which also projects light upwards. I think it adds a lot of character to a room, but be sure to measure the height in the target room prior to purchase. Sort of ticked to see the price come down so much in such a short period of time, but that's my loss and your gain.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than any other DVD-RW drive on the market, June 26, 2013
I'm delighted to report that the extra money a Plextor drive costs is well justified. It's exponentially faster than my old Lite-On iHAS drive and far more quiet to boot. I'm ripping disc's at a break-neck speed and having owned a Plextor in the past, I don't expect too many coasters over it's shelf life - and this is an understatement. Definitely satisfied.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2013 2:34 PM PDT

Monster MC800HD-2M Advanced High Speed HDTV HDMI Cable (2 meters)
Monster MC800HD-2M Advanced High Speed HDTV HDMI Cable (2 meters)
Offered by Novatronics
Price: Click here to see our price
26 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars First cable worked great, second - not so much, May 11, 2013
I've purchased two of these cables spaced out over about a year. I wouldn't look at third parties with Monster cables as they seem to get a lot of negative reviews for selling knock-offs or defective units. My most recent cable from Amazon direct didn't output any video, which is no good, but I'm still willing to give it a solid review based on my other purchase a ways back. I've since ordered a replacement from Amazon - will update this review if I receive another dud. Perceptually, the quality of the video output is either on par with my previous high-end cable from Monoprice, or better.

Rant: Ignore people's emotional reviews about this cable. I have no idea why, but companies like Monster and Bose seem to get more reviews about the companies themselves rather than their products. Also, I'm not certain why people say there's no quality difference with cables - tell that to my Apple TV that has decided just recently that Monoprice cables are a no-go having used them successfully for years.

Xbox 360 250GB Holiday Value Bundle
Xbox 360 250GB Holiday Value Bundle
Offered by QuantumBang (NO TAX)
Price: $319.99
29 used & new from $167.00

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not RROD, but it's also not working either., November 6, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Took delivery of unit and proceeded to fire it up. Immediately suspected issues during setup when my screen went black with "Unsupported signal. Please check the device output." I did. I swapped HDMI cables, their ports, and the problem, intermittent as it is, still persists. Additional issues include texture mapping problems where the skin on players in NBA2K12 are multicolored. My last Xbox 360 died in less than a year, but the new hardware (at least for me) is just as bad as the old hardware, only for different reasons.

Marpac DOHM-DS, Natural White Noise (actual fan inside) Sound Machine, Tan
Marpac DOHM-DS, Natural White Noise (actual fan inside) Sound Machine, Tan
Price: $47.95
26 used & new from $42.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you want it to do, June 1, 2012
Makes enough white noise to drown out all of my neighbors and let me get to sleep at night. Amazingly, that never stops me from hearing my alarm clock and the sleep I've gotten since I purchased the device has been very good. I'm not certain it's worth reading the 3 star reviews (I always start there) because this is really an go/no-go device that either works or doesn't it - it functions just as expected.

HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black
HP 2711x 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black
2 used & new from $662.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Not mind-blowing as others have implied, May 23, 2012
I've been cycling through monitors trying to find the perfect one for the past few months and have tried ASUS, HP and Apple Cinema Display's and I've got to say, this is just an average TN panel with a glossy finish. Viewing angles are meh and typical backlight bleed ensues - I've found this to be a problem with each of these monitors. I'm a big fan of 25"+ displays and I think ASUS does the better job with TN panels. For the price it's a great deal by comparison to other TN panels, but I'm just not sold that I'll be keeping this. If you have the money, get a higher resolution monitor if you're sold on the 27" form factor.

7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub
7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub
Offered by pcrush-outlet
Price: $29.97
21 used & new from $17.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Running smoothly since 2010, May 8, 2012
I bought this device to extend the amount of available USB ports on my MacBook Pro. I knew going into this that I wanted a powered USB hub because of the devices I'd be connecting and their power draw, and this one received the highest marks at the time. I'm pleased to say it's still running smoothly with one caveat - the power isn't sufficient to charge my tablet. This will be a problem for most USB hubs, powered or not, so I'm not going to dock more than one star. One other thing I thought they could have done better is with the aesthetics - it's classic D-Link which is classically bad.

Page: 1 | 2