Profile for Jeremy R. Brandon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeremy R. Brandon "commando" RSS Feed (Ft. Bragg, North Carolina United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Camelbak Elixir Electrolyte Enhanced Hydration Supplement - Orange Alert - Single Tube

4.0 out of 5 stars An aquired taste, March 20, 2010
I became a fan of Camelbak elixer when it first came out and I was excited to get my hands on the "enhanced" version as well. I was disappointed with the taste though. The caffiene gives it a bitter taste that isn't quite covered by the orange flavoring. Overall, the effectiveness of this product is just as advertised. Electrolyte hydration and a caffiene boost give you what you need to keep going no matter what you are doing. If the taste of caffiene is off putting to you though, stick with the regular version (lemon-lime or berry).

Camelbak Elixir 12 Tablet Tube Pack, Lemon/Lime
Camelbak Elixir 12 Tablet Tube Pack, Lemon/Lime

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pick-me-up, March 20, 2010
Research proves that people drink more water when it's flavored. Use the power of science on yourself to get healthier and stay hydrated. I have used these for almost two years now and I take them everytime I go hiking. The electrolytes keep me charged up and keep away cramps and fatique. I highly recommend this product.

SE - Compass - Engineering Lensatic /Marching
SE - Compass - Engineering Lensatic /Marching
Offered by Lantomall
Price: $4.50
21 used & new from $2.07

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless Pretender, March 20, 2010
First let me say that I do not own this item. My experience with this piece of junk is extensive though, and I want to warn anyone who may be thinking of purchasing it to stay away. As a former instructor at the US Army Noncommissioned Officer Academy, I saw countless students arrive with these thinking that they were ready to tackle the land navigation course. This compass does not perform well under any conditions. They are not accurate. They do not seal out moisture well. They do not hold up to rough handling. They are not self luminous. Maybe you are thinking that you don't need a rugged military spec compass. Maybe you think I am being overly critical because I am a Soldier. Ask yourself what conditions you might be faced with when you need your compass in an emergency. Hot? Cold? Wet? Dark? Rough Terrain? Will you trust your life to a piece of equipment that costs little more than a drive-thru meal? Don't chance it. Buy this instead: Cammenga Official US Military Tritium Lensatic Compass - OD Green It is the real deal and won't let you down when you need it the most.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2014 8:41 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., February 18, 2010
The title says it all. When I took this bad boy out on the course, all I could say was wow every time I used it. One caveat here, I have never used a driver with a stiff shaft until now, so that could be a significant contributor to my improvement. Having said that, with this driver, I am driving the ball straighter, longer, and higher than ever before. This is not on the range, but on the course in actual play. Being a brand new driver, the ball impact is easy to see on the club face. On one drive, I hit the ball well onto the heel of the club (borderline shank) and the ball still went at least 250 yards and within the first cut of rough. This club saved me nearly 10 strokes over my typical round of golf the first time I used it. Buy this club!

Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS-Plus Bulldog Rotary Hammer
Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS-Plus Bulldog Rotary Hammer
Offered by Equipment2U
Price: $218.40
6 used & new from $108.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, December 12, 2009
My recent purchase of this drill for the workplace makes two of these that I have bought and I haven't been disappointed with either one. What I found interesting is that my recent work actually revealed one weakness in the tool's design that I would have to think hard about for any future purchase (more on this later). First, the good. This drill flat out works. Even the largest bits that I load into this drill get the job done as easily as the smallest ones. There is no lack of power for any job I have tackled with this drill, and it shows no signs of slowing down after years of use. The D handle design is a great benefit when drilling as it places your hand and arm in line with the drill bit for easy alignment and effortless work. Light pressure is all it takes to keep the bit in contact with the work and the drill does the rest, allowing me to focus on keeping my holes straight and true. The selector switch functions easily and I like the solid "click" for each position on the dial that lets me know the drill is fully engaged. Bosch upgraded the depth gauge somewhere along the line between my two purchases, and the newer version works with no fuss, making it much more functional, rather than an inconvenience. This is pretty much the smallest class of drill available with a dedicated hammer-only setting and if you need to do occasional chipping, this is a great tool to have. If you have to do a lot of chipping and hammering, I would reccommend a larger tool. Just keep in mind that stepping up also means giving up the dedicated drill-only setting.
I love the accessories available for this drill. I have the 1/2" keyed chuck and the right angle attachment and have found both to be indespensible. They allow me to use one tool rather than two or three in particular situations with very little compromise, making them well worth the investment. The attachments have a drawback however, and that leads me into the downsides of this too. Length can definitely be an issue at times. The attachments add to the already considerable length of this tool and place a great deal of extra weight out on the business end, making it unwieldy at times.
I recently had to do a lot of overhead work, and found myself doing a lot of juggling. This was where the length and D-handle design were both curse and blessing. The length was nice because I could reach the work and still keep my hands and arms close in and keep my balance easily (nice when you are working off a ladder). The big downside here is when you are working with one hand holding a piece of work in place, and trying to muscle the drill into place. There are drills out there with the motor at a 90 degree angle to the housing rather than in-line like the 11224. I found myself at times wishing that I had one of those, thinking that it would make life much easier (and my arms and shoulders more thankful) Having worked with these type drills before, I know they have this advantage, but they also can be bulkier in close spaces, so there is a definite trade-off. For most of the work I do though, I would stick with the 11224, no doubt. If you are like me and purchasing a second drill, having one of each style might be the way to go.
One final gripe, and that's the plastic case. Bosch definitely made a mistake switching from metal to plastic. The metal case holds bits and accessories much better and definitely holds up to rough use on a daily basis. The only plus with a plastic case is that it's a little less noisy moving it around, but I'll trade some noise for better functionality any day.

Bosch 36618-02 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Compact-Tough Litheon Drill/Driver with 2 Slim Batteries
6 used & new from $119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Drill, December 6, 2009
Recently I needed to purchase a new drill for work, and chose this one for several reasons. First and foremost, I own several Bosch tools and I already know that when I buy Bosch I won't be disappointed. The craftsmanship and functionality of their tools is top notch, and this one is no exception. The second reason I chose this drill was due to the Lithium Ion battery pack. If you can get the same juice out of a smaller and lighter package, why not? With this drill in my hand I felt like I was holding an older 12v model, but with the power of an 18v. I'll never use Ni-MH again. What surprised me more than anything else though, is the way the battery holds power. With older drills, as the battery loses power, so does the drill. This drill works at full power until the battery is drained, allowing you to work at full capacity until its time to change batteries. The final reason I chose this drill was for the torque rating. Simply put, I like power, and its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. At this price point and combination of features, this was the most powerful drill available when I made my purchase. I find myself actually using the different torque and speed settings based on the job I am doing instead of just putting it on the highest setting and hoping I've got enough power. I'm probably going to get one of these for the house really soon even though I've got a perfectly fine cordless drill already. I like it that much.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2009 11:16 AM PST

Cold Steel 97KMS Kukri Machete
Cold Steel 97KMS Kukri Machete
Offered by Supply The Outdoors
Price: $19.72
32 used & new from $18.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't go to the woods without it!, December 6, 2009
I was torn between purchasing this item (cheap price!) and the much more expensive Cold Steel Kukri Knife (amazing knife!) Ultimately I chose the machete because I intended to use this for some really abusive work in the woods. This is hands down the best machete I have ever used. I like the thickness of the blade a lot. This makes it very reliable and less prone to bending like some other machetes on mis-hits. The extra heft of the thicker blade also makes up for the shorter length of this machete and helps to deliver plenty of power for chopping chores. The handle design makes it easy to flip over and use the spine for breaking without ruining the blade edge. The size is perfect to put in my pack, but the size is also the only downside of this product. If you are chopping your way through thick brush for longer periods of time, you are going to want a longer machete, like the larger version of this machete: Cold Steel Magnum Kukri Machete or the Cold Steel Latin Machete: Cold Steel Latin Machete 24" Md: 97AM24 The short length of the Kukri Machete means that you will not generate as much force with each swing as you would with a longer machete. This translates in to more effort required for each swing to achieve the desired result. So if you need a machete for all day use, this is NOT what you are looking for. If you need an outstanding all-around tool for the woods that doesn't take up a lot of room, then buy this tool NOW.

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F01TN-CP Tactical Tomahawk with 2.75-Inch Steel Axe Blade and Black Ballistic Nylon Sheath, Black Finish
Price: $29.99
163 used & new from $26.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweat Equity, December 6, 2009
Like some people, I bought the wooden handled version and was extremely disappointed when it broke. I decided that rather than throw the whole thing away, I would make my own handle, since the head seemed to be well made and was worth keeping. The design of this hawk is rather non-traditional and crafting a new handle was challenging, but not impossible. The fact that I had to work hard to get what I wanted makes it even more enjoyable to own and use. It looks like the newer fiberglass handle solves the breaking issues and works just fine, and based on the reviews I have read, others enjoy their hawk as much as I do mine. The blade is impressively sharp and stays that way due to the hardness of the steel. That extreme hardness is also an issue though. Be careful of what your are using this on. Very hard woods and/or metal objects can cause chipping in the blade due to the brittleness of very hard metals. (Be sure to check your target for nails and barbed wire if your are throwing this out in the woods!) The hardness of the steel also means that sharpening is not an easy proposition. Fortunately it doesn't have do be done on a regular basis.

Leatherman 830850 Skeletool CX Multitool
Leatherman 830850 Skeletool CX Multitool
Price: $61.64
84 used & new from $59.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Just don't drop it., November 5, 2009
Based on sheer daily usefulness, this is by far the best multi-tool I have ever owned. That's saying a lot too, because I average a new one every year or so over the last 15 years. The difference in this tool is the radical departure from Leatherman's traditional form factor. The sleek minimalist design makes this tool a breeze to slip into your pocket and go. The size and bulk of most other multi-tools keep me from carrying them on an everyday basis, but the skeletool CX goes with me everywhere. This tool has the most useful blade of any other multi-tool I've used, and the easy one-hand operation makes it as quick and easy to access as most stand-alone pocket knives. My only gripe here (and the reason for only four stars) is the treatment of the second screwdriver bit. It isn't held in place very securely, and falls out easily if the tool is dropped or struck. How this got overlooked in product testing I don't know, but it can be aggravating. The bottle opener is functional, and the carabiner clip works well, rounding out a tool that packs plenty of useful features into a surprisingly slim and lightweight package. The lack of heft is achieved through a combination of materials and skeletonized construction (hence the name) and assists greatly in making the tool very unobtrusive when clipped into your pocket.

Leatherman 68010103H Crunch with Leather Sheath
Leatherman 68010103H Crunch with Leather Sheath
Offered by Quality Distributing LLC
Price: $91.48
2 used & new from $91.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Companion, October 24, 2004
When I bought my Crunch, I already owned a Leatherman SuperTool and Wave, so I was already familiar with Leatherman quality and versatility. My intention when I purchased the Crunch was to have a great companion tool for my others, and I haven't been dissappointed. Whenever I need an extra hand to hold down what I'm working on, or two screwdrivers, or a wriench and screwdriver at the same time, the Crunch comes through. 9 times out of 10, it's the vise-grip that I'm using, so this is the most important thing to me. Being in the Army, it's important that the equipment I work with works, because the alternative is unacceptable. Whether it's here in the states, or walking the streets of Baghdad, the Crunch works for me every time and I keep it with me everywhere I go.

Page: 1 | 2