Profile for Lauren Kawaguchi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lauren Kawaguchi RSS Feed (Los Angeles)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
gDiapers Disposable Inserts, Newborn/Small (40 Count Bags, Pack of 4)
gDiapers Disposable Inserts, Newborn/Small (40 Count Bags, Pack of 4)
Price: $50.96
10 used & new from $41.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than disposables, December 23, 2009
Just to clarify, this is for the refills, not the entire gDiaper system, which I have tried and didn't work so well for my breast-fed baby. But we use the gDiaper refills as a doubler for overnight or instead of cloth when we're on the go (rather than disposable diapers) and they are pretty great! And now that my daughter is on solid food, the messes are much more manageable, so maybe the gDiaper system would work better now. These absorb pee well and don't give her a rash as opposed to disposables. They cost more but are better all around- flushable with or without poo, and if it's just pee, you can toss them without feeling bad (I do this often because our toilets clog at the drop of a hat). Because we don't use these exclusively, I don't notice the cost as much- if gDiapers wanted to advertise, these work great as doublers on the go for those using cloth diapers, or maybe even in disposables, for those who don't want to commit to the entire gDiaper world.

Waldorf Maple Teether Natural Teething Ring
Waldorf Maple Teether Natural Teething Ring
Offered by Palumba Toys, Music & Art
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wood is good, December 23, 2009
I bought this teether hoping to avoid the ubiquitous "made in China" plasticware that most teethers are... I think I had higher hopes for it. My daughter likes it ok, but it is definitely not her favorite chew toy- she likes her Sophie Giraffe much more. It is easy for her to grip and it's very smooth- no splinters, after 4 months- but maybe it's just not her thing. But it's well made and once in a while she will gnaw on it for a bit. Some babies will love it, but she tends to want something slightly softer- cold wash cloths do the trick often, as does the aforementioned rubber giraffe. It's hit or miss but I don't regret trying.

Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether
Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether
Price: $20.18
147 used & new from $15.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Every kid I saw had one..., December 22, 2009
I was on the fence about buying this toy due to its price, but one day I went shopping at the farmer's market and EVERY baby had one. So I thought, heck, all these kids like it, why not give it a shot? And you know what- my daughter does like it! It smells rubbery (not plasticky) but that doesn't seem to dissuade the little ones. It has many parts that are easy for little hands to grip (all the legs and the neck), and good places of harder rubber to chew (the ears and whatever those little vestigial horns are between the ears), and it even squeaks like old-school dog toys. What's not to love? Just the price!

Bambu 5-Inch Baby's Utensils, Set of 4, Natural
Bambu 5-Inch Baby's Utensils, Set of 4, Natural
Price: $16.98
13 used & new from $13.05

4.0 out of 5 stars No plasticware!, December 22, 2009
The spoon of this set is perfect for little ones- not too much volume in the payload area, and a good shape. I haven't tried the fork, but it seems like it would be able to spear or pierce soft foods (cooked veggies like potato, pumpkin, etc) but I don't know about harder foods like a veggie with a membrane or meat. The handles are curved and seem to be a good shape for little hands, and don't seem flimsy. They are meant to be handwashed, so those who say they splinter may be treating them roughly- mine are ok after months.

The Safe Sippy 2 2-in-1 Sippy to Straw Bottle, Pink
The Safe Sippy 2 2-in-1 Sippy to Straw Bottle, Pink
Price: $14.30
12 used & new from $14.07

4.0 out of 5 stars A safe sippy!, December 22, 2009
This is the newer generation of this Safe Sippy and it seems ok to me! A lot of reviews for the earlier version of this cup said they leaked, but I haven't had that issue (yet). That being said, I don't know how kid-friendly this cup is. My daughter is only 8 months and can understand the concept of a cup, but this one eludes her. I'm holding out hope that she will figure out the straw-like opening this sippy sports, which is supposed to be the best kind for developing jaws and such. The cup comes with three adapters- one for a straw for older kids, one for a regular valve for younger kids (leaks a bit, but just what is left in the straw portion of the mouthpiece- not a continuous stream of fluid), and a stopper for travel. Supposedly everything is BPA-free. There is also a removable cover and handles, and the silicone sleeve comes off if you want to wash either the bottle or cover. All in all, good quality, but maybe for slightly older kids who know what straws are about.

Sckoon Merino Wool Diaper Cover (Inside belt close)- New Born
Sckoon Merino Wool Diaper Cover (Inside belt close)- New Born
Offered by Sckoon Organics
Price: $22.90

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not the wool, it's the belt, December 13, 2009
To be clear, I don't own this specific cover, but I have quite a few of similar styles my mother in law sent me from Japan. The wool is fine and once lanolized, they are waterproof, but the problem for me lies in the belt closure. They are secure enough, but pee always manages to leak from the hip as opposed to not leaking with covers that offer more, well, coverage. I think these are probably ok for those using fitted diapers, but I use prefold/ flat diapers, and there is just no coverage at the hip. It's worst if your baby is sleeping on his or her side- it's like a guarantee that this will leak. I have only tried these at night, so maybe for a few hours between naps during the day is fine, but now that I see the flaw, I'm a little wary to try them again.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars You really can wash and reuse these!, December 13, 2009
If you use cloth diapers and are sick and tired of having to remove the poo before washing, these will be your best line of defense. I use flat diapers and fold the liner around the entire diaper to ensure that I won't get poo on the diaper at all. Because the flat diaper gets bunched, the liner will too, so I have to wash my cover sometimes, but before I was washing EVERYTHING, so I'm still ahead. These are basically like dryer sheets in feel and can be washed. If I have a pee-only diaper, I wash the liner with the load of diapers and hang dry. They are so thin that they dry in minutes. This way, the pack of 100 liners gets you a ton of uses. Because they wash so well, they aren't good for septic tanks and I have noticed that while we are on a sewer line, they don't flush super easily. Overall, though, and especially if you are cloth diapering on the go, these are great time savers and help you put the poo in the toilet where it belongs.

Thirsties Fab Fitted Cloth Diaper
Thirsties Fab Fitted Cloth Diaper

1.0 out of 5 stars Polyester!, November 29, 2009
I bought this diaper from Amazon on the recommendation of a friend and cloth-diapering guru- but I had no idea they were polyester! It says that nowhere on this Amazon page and I finally went to the Thirsties website. The entire lining and all the microfleece (the part that touches your baby's skin) is 100% polyester! If you are ok with that, then it's fine. However, I don't like the idea of synthetics to hold in all that moisture right next to my baby's skin. No thanks. I use cotton flat diapers normally with a wool or cloth cover and while they are messy, they don't normally leak. I was excited about trying this fitted diaper, but now that I know how they work, I will stick to REAL fabrics. I guess this diaper will make a nice gift for someone who doesn't mind polyester. They may work well in holding in liquid, but gee, that's what polyester DOES. I can't in good faith rate this well when it uses cotton only for the outside.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2010 9:19 AM PST

Earth Mama Angel Baby - Lotion Natural Vanilla Orange
Earth Mama Angel Baby - Lotion Natural Vanilla Orange
Price: $8.04 - $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent organic baby lotion!, November 28, 2009
I tried this lotion after reading numerous labels- this may just very well be the only baby lotion with no preservatives or artificial fragrances- even the Burt's Bees for sensitive skin has "fragrance" as an ingredient. This smells really nice and light, absorbs and moisturizes well, and isn't oily. It's dry out here in California and we do have to moisturize multiple times between bathing, but that's par for the course. We all use it and no one has any reactions. If they used glass or BPA-free containers and skipped the e-wax, I would have given them 5 stars.

Evenflo 3 Pack Classic Glass Bottle
Evenflo 3 Pack Classic Glass Bottle
Price: $6.89 - $17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars No plastics!!, November 24, 2009
I knew even before I was pregnant that I wanted to use glass bottles- I don't believe that BPA-free means "safe," so I wanted to use something I could trust. These bottles are great (they come in two sizes; this review is for the larger, 8oz size). I freeze milk in them and defrost them in warm water and we have never had a crack or break yet. They wash better than plastic bottles because you can see the fat from the milk left on them when they are still dirty- it's hard to see that in the plastic bottles. They are easy to clean and not too heavy, but still strong enough to freeze/thaw multiple times. My daughter was able to hold them herself (of course we hover while she does that) and drink a bit when she was just a few months old, so they are not these huge and bulky bottles. Good quality and better safety.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3