Profile for A. B. King > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 230

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. B. King RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tech Armor Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - 8" Anti-Glare/Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protectors [2-Pack] Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Tech Armor
Price: $7.95
2 used & new from $7.95

4.0 out of 5 stars what I wanted, September 26, 2013
This screen is still sensitive enough for doing art apps. I had Best Buy put it on because I have failed with previous screens. Best Buy ($15) put on the screen and still had a couple of tiny bubbles. They said that the bubbles would disappear after using the tablet a little bit. And it was so.
Antiglare and antifingerpring features work great.
Definitely like this one.

Revlon RVDR5111BLKD Ultimate Snub Nose 1875 Watt Pro Styler
Revlon RVDR5111BLKD Ultimate Snub Nose 1875 Watt Pro Styler
Offered by Dave Electronics
Price: $17.99
20 used & new from $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars solid product, September 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This hair dryer has two heat levels. The warm setting seems adequate for my shortish hair. Warm and high speed work quite well for my length. The low speed is quite gentle. The hot level is quite hot, akin to the old Conair that died. The warm setting on this one does not toast my scalp. Hooray!
The diffuser is quite big, 5.5" across. It was too awkward for me to use, but that may be my skill level.
The best safety feature is the removable end piece. As I have barely used it, I have not yet cleaned it. But I will. The debris in the end is what will catch on fire if you have any electrical faults.
I used to leave my hair dryer plugged in. One day I smelled burning hair. Even though the outlet plug theoretically was not on a live circuit (my bathroom switch works the lights and the plug), my hair dryer was hot and smoking.
Two lessons: leave it unplugged and clean out that back end of the dryer.

Dive Into Silence Lite
Dive Into Silence Lite
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I need, September 21, 2013
This review is from: Dive Into Silence Lite (App)
This is so easy. When the app opens you see the settings page. If you don't want to make any changes you click "Save" and go on to the session page.. The settings include length of sitting and what sound to end, If you want interval sounds, you select how long an interval and what sound. You can also set a delay of 30 seconds up to a few minutes before the start bell is sounded. That way you can press "Start" and have enough time to settle into your position. I have not used that feature as I keep the tablet in front of me.
In the settings you can elect to have notification sounds disabled. No beeping for a phone call, an email or a post on Facebook!
It also has a white noise option. I have not used that feature either.
You can have music playing on a separate app and use this app.
The bells are bell chime, Tibetan bell, Tibetan gong, and Tibetan bowl. The bowl sound lingers nicely.

Homedics BPW-360BT Premium Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor with Bluetooth Smart
Homedics BPW-360BT Premium Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor with Bluetooth Smart
Price: $60.12
8 used & new from $51.00

1.0 out of 5 stars don't bother with this style at all, September 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the third wrist BP monitor I have tried. Every one of them has been inaccurate. They require keeping your arm and the monitor at the same level, which is awkward and consequently makes for inaccurate results. Drug-store BP machines are just as accurate and free.

Sugru SMLT8 Hardware Sealer, Multi Color, 8-Pack
Sugru SMLT8 Hardware Sealer, Multi Color, 8-Pack
Price: $22.00
7 used & new from $17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to find uses, September 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used one of my five color packets. I wrapped a piece around the knob on my espresso machine to make it easier to turn. I used a fork to indent the outside surface. Because I need the machine every morning, it did not get quite 24 hours curing time before being put into use. No problem. I have been using the knob daily now for a few weeks. The rubber has stayed firmly attached to the original knob. And with a regular paring knife I have trimmed off excess from the knob. Wait a couple of days so that it is completely cured before trimming.

With the fresh scraps left over from that project, I made a piece of "jewelry" by pressing two types of washers together with the red in-between. Not glamorous, but the metals have stayed attached.

I was going to use some to plug holes in the cap of a water bottle, but nowhere in the instructions did it say that it was safe on food-related items.

They recommend that you store the unused portions in the refrigerator to keep it viable longer.

What you get is eight packets of five colors. That amount is okay for small one-off projects. For a large project or a series of projects, you should find out about larger amounts. Try this sample size to see if this product will work for you.

Windmill 3D Puzzle, 216-Piece
Windmill 3D Puzzle, 216-Piece
Price: $22.39
39 used & new from $20.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Ravensburger quality, August 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have assembled Ravensburger models, but this was my first 3D puzzle.
The individual parts are clean, no flashing, and easy to push into place.
When I opened the box the plastic smell was quite strong. I left the box open overnight. If you are giving this to a child, or anyone who will want to start immediately, consider letting the plastic off-gas before you present it.
One could keep the pattern side up and treat this as a jigsaw puzzle, but I took the sequential path and used the numbers on the back of the pieces. I used egg cartons to organize the pieces into groups of ten.
The design of the pieces make a sturdy structure. The interlocking pieces rather resemble the ancient stone walls that had keyed slots.
Once I finished the windmill, I tried different scale figures against the door. The HO figures came closest. As it happened the figures were working with the bank to turn the windmill into a B&B.

Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
by Ovidia Yu
Price: $11.97
86 used & new from $2.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Miss Marple joins the Tai Tai Club, August 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Aunty Lee, what a delight. Here is an insider's view of modern Singapore, with a wealthy widow whose curiosity leads to our story. This debut promises to fill our reading stomachs with fascinating dinners and curative teas for books to come.
Ovidia Yu is a well-loved Singapore writer who shows us a more tolerant population than the straight-laced public image.
If you are in the mood for a light read, PG, gay-tolerant, and lots of interesting food, this book will be a delicious treat.

A Cruise to Die For (An Alix London Mystery)
A Cruise to Die For (An Alix London Mystery)
by Charlotte Elkins
Price: $11.99
54 used & new from $6.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful second of series, July 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Don't worry if you have not read the first novel, because this is definitely a stand-alone story.
Alix London has a connoisseur's eye for looking at artwork and knowing if it is an original or not. It's a gift that developed during her childhood with her notorious father, Geoff London, one of the great art forgers of our times.
The cruise is on a luxury yacht of a Greek tycoon with a fondness for the Impressionists. One isn't enough so he also has a forger who can duplicate them seamlessly. And then sells the forgeries to "fractional investors." People buy shares of a painting and then wait for the value to go up. At that point Panos sells the painting and splits the profits with the investors. The FBI suspects that it is more of a Ponzi scheme than an investment. They ask Alix to go on the cruise as an art lecturer, with the idea that she can learn more about the operation. Of course, nothing is that simple. And so we get to cruise the Greek Isles and go as far as the Albania coast. The authors must have taken this cruise. Don't you wish you could take a cruise and write it off as a business expense?
It helps to be interested in art, but not necessary. There is only a hint of attraction between Alix and Ted, her FBI handler. She can't tell if he is attracted to her or if he is just doing his job with charm. There is no profanity. There is plenty of action and sympathetic characters. And two murders, almost three.
This is a thoroughly enjoyable book, well written and light on its feet.

Genghis Khan (Illustrated Biography)
Genghis Khan (Illustrated Biography)
by Demi
Price: $11.99
34 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrations, intense story, July 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am giving this book five stars as a person who collects beautifully illustrated children's books.
Stunning illustrations. The expanse of Central Asia is shown as a two-page spread of gold with tiny figures on horseback. Very effective. I hope to collect more books by Demi.
I am not a parent. And so I asked a grandmother friend to read it. She had the same problem I did, that is, for what age is this book appropriate.
Early in his life, Temujin (Genghis Khan's given name) has become head of his family. They have been banished by the other tribes. They are barely surviving, eating roots and mice. Temujin's brother manages to catch some fish. Instead of sharing them with the family, he takes them for himself. Temujin hunts him down and kills him. The writer's comment is that he was a stern and fierce leader.
Also there is the scene with the defeated enemy, who is very courageous, so he is executed with honor. They roll him up in blankets and beat him to death. Personally I would rather just be beheaded for a mercy killing.
Okay, so at what age is it appropriate to introduce somewhat-justified fratricide? Not my call. Your call.
The writing is simple enough for grade-school readers, I think. But the concepts are more for middle-school readers, who probably are not interested in a picture book.
If you are Mongolian, or of that culture, then this is an inspiring book about the greatest conqueror of all time. Probably your children already know something of the nature of Genghis Khan. But for children who have no concept of Genghis Khan, they can wait until they are old enough to understand the conditions from which he arose.
Note: There seem to be multiple spellings of Genghis, but since this is way the author spelled it, I followed suit.

Studio Saint-Ex
Studio Saint-Ex
by Ania Szado
Price: $19.80
52 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars soap opera, July 29, 2013
This review is from: Studio Saint-Ex (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book was a serious disappointment. I was hoping for a novel about Saint-Exupery. Instead this is a tale of two women wanting the same man, who incidentally is Saint-Ex. His wife is a conniving wretch. The mistress is young and struggling to establish herself as a fashion designer.
There is none, nada, zilch, nothing, zip of the charm of Saint-Ex writings. There is a lot of whining.
If you like romance novels involving love triangles, then perhaps you will like this book.
If you enjoy Saint-Ex books, I don't think this type of novel will appeal to you. It certainly did not appeal to me. In fact, it gave me indigestion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20