Profile for Master > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Master RSS Feed (Universe)

Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe
Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe
Offered by MR Online Store
Price: $69.99
17 used & new from $44.00

4.0 out of 5 stars TWO SOLUTIONS for the noticeable sound lag, July 8, 2011
Many here are right in stating that, after a while, in a long recording, the sound starts to lag the picture, to a degree that makes it impossible to disregard.

So, here are my two suggestions on how to correct that:

1 - Divide a long video in segments when recording it. For instance, set the timer in the software to record only 10-15 minutes. Then, after it automatically stops, save the resulting file as "episode 1" for instance, and proceed to record the second segment of same length. Name that episode 2, and repeat until the video ends. This procedure doesn't give the sound lag the chance to develop into a problem, as it worsens with time and we are keeping the video segments short.

Once all the segments are recorded, you can use the video editing software that comes with the product to join all segments back into a single video. A bit of work, to be sure, but it does resolve the video lag issue.

2 - If you don't like the solution above because it's too laborious, then I suggest you record your whole video in one pass as usual, and later correct the sound lag during playback. How? If using a media server PC, install the free (open source) VLC Media Player, an extremely capable universal video player, and use it to play your video. One of its many options is the Audio Track, which allows you to delay or advance the sound track and synchronize it back to the video. So by manually adjusting this parameter you can fix the sound lag. Finally, save the resulting video with your corrections.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2011 8:42 PM PDT

Acase 3500 mAh Extended Life Battery + Cover for HTC EVO 4G (Black)
Acase 3500 mAh Extended Life Battery + Cover for HTC EVO 4G (Black)
Offered by LiViTech
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars WHY should you BUY THIS instead of others?, January 19, 2011
Buy it because...
1-It lasts longer
2-Protects the camera lens
3-Feels right in your hand
4-Improves phone balance when supported by leg.
5-It's half the price of other batteries.

In summary, this battery is a great value.

IMPORTANT TIP ---> TO GET THE MOST LIFE between charges,

perform this sequence to "stretch" the battery capacity to its limit:

1-with phone turned on, charge it fully till green light comes up
---> note: you will be without phone service until next steps are finished, at most 1 hour
2-turn phone off while still plugged to charger (light will turn off briefly, then come back amber)
3-let it charge again till light turns green
4-unplug charger and wait for light to go off
5-then plug it again - light will be amber
6-let it charge again till light turns green
7-repeat 4-5-6 till green light comes up just a few seconds after plugging charger (time in 6 will be progressively shorter)
8-turn phone on
9-unplug charger
10-enjoy!

With this procedure my battery life went from a few hours on the original battery to SEVERAL DAYS on this new Acase (when also following next tips)

MORE TIPS to extend life:

turn off 4G - I live in a area with coverage and it still drains my battery.
use wifi wherever available
turn off GPS antenna if not in use.
be suspicious of badly design apps that can be battery hogs.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2011 6:40 PM PDT

GiSTEQ TripBook TB-100 GS Mileage Logger
GiSTEQ TripBook TB-100 GS Mileage Logger

1.0 out of 5 stars A great concept not fully implemented, November 29, 2009
I bought it with high hopes.

The concept is simplicity itself: plug it in your car, then plug it in your computer. Once the software shows you the trips and stops you've made in Google Maps, all you need to do is write down if there was a business purpose for the trip so you can later justify to the IRS your mileage deductions. Exactly what I needed.

However I could never make its software work properly with my Vista 64 laptop. When downloading data into computer, it frequently locked up, which resulted in lost information (trips = $). I contacted support twice, and was able to promptly talk to someone who then emailed me drivers and updates, to no avail. Still the same issues, and in fact worse after the last update.

So now I don't use it anymore, resorting instead to the old ways of data keeping: pen and paper. I wish it worked, or that I had a XP computer to try it on - I'll bet it would work.

In fact, if you are interested in this product and have a XP computer, I have an almost new unit here in the office looking for a new home (or car).

DEC-2010 UPDATE: About 6 months ago I bought a newly-released Android smartphone, that not only replaced my old Garmin GPS (now retired somewhere in the trunk) in giving me driving directions, but ALSO LOGS MY TRIPS! So no more pen and paper, only the cell phone that is always along anyway. In the Android marketplace I found software that helped me sort out and classify the datapoints, so I'm all set now for tax reporting. In fact, my CPA (also a tax attorney) was so impressed that he will suggest this idea for his other clients.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2011 10:39 PM PST