Profile for jettrink > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

jettrink "dazed in Austin" RSS Feed (Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Brown Betty 4 Cup Teapot. Made in England
Brown Betty 4 Cup Teapot. Made in England
Offered by British Delights
Price: $30.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Same, September 1, 2014
I have used Brown Betty teapots for more than 40 years. In fact, I've used them until I managed to break them, then bought a new one. This latest, though, has been in use for less than a year and has developed crazing all over it --first on the lid, and now all over the body. I am highly disappointed, since I HAVE to have my big cup of tea in the morning and adamantly oppose using a teapot made in China. But maybe now I don't have any choice. Pity.

CoverMates Chaise Lounge Cover : 74L x 34W x 32H Select 3-ply
CoverMates Chaise Lounge Cover : 74L x 34W x 32H Select 3-ply
Offered by The-Cover-Store
Price: $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Like a Champ, August 16, 2014
This cover arrived the day before a rare and outrageous Austin downpour. Wind and water had no effect on the cover and the bamboo chaise underneath emerged dry and usable, after we had removed the detritus blown onto the cover during the storm.

New Balance Men's MW577 Walking Shoe,White,7.5 2E US
New Balance Men's MW577 Walking Shoe,White,7.5 2E US
Price: $62.54
3 used & new from $62.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Wider, Better, July 15, 2014
I've got a narrow heel and wide toe box, and I have to walk on a treadmill to keep a couple of medical conditions from getting any worse. This is the second paid of these shoes I've had. The first pair crimped my toes quite a bit, so I ordered these in a wide instead of medium. I was a little concerned as to whether the heel would then slip, but I needn't have worried. After just one or two sessions on the treadmill, these shoes have broken in just fine. There's no heel slippage and the wider toe box is just what I wanted. Now I just have to encourage myself to get on the treadmill, I don't have to worry about pinched toes.

See's Candies 8 oz. Sugar Free Peanut Brittle
See's Candies 8 oz. Sugar Free Peanut Brittle
Offered by Sunleaf
Price: $15.78
4 used & new from $14.28

5.0 out of 5 stars No Difference, June 8, 2014
Seems to me there's little if any difference between this peanut brittle and sugar-made peanut brittle. The only drawback is that it gets eaten so fast. Good tasting and crunchy, just wish it were a little cheaper.

See's Candies 4 - 1.5 oz. Sugar Free Milk Bars
See's Candies 4 - 1.5 oz. Sugar Free Milk Bars
Offered by Sunleaf
Price: $22.48
2 used & new from $18.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Beware, June 8, 2014
Pretty tasty candy bars, but to be blunt and all, they acted more like a purgative than candy. Likely wouldn't recommend this product except to strong stomached individuals.

The Harbor
The Harbor
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked for a Reason, May 13, 2014
This review is from: The Harbor (Kindle Edition)
An interesting artifact, The Harbor as a book is just a poorly developed metaphor/polemic, not an engrossing novel with clear, strong plotlines, compelling language and believable characters. I hoped to discover the kind of working class political novel written by Upton Sinclair or Zola, only to find an awkward attempt at telling a tale of radicalization and transformation. The language used was even clumsy and off-putting--for example, referring to mundane work as "hay". Really, "hay". This clumsiness shows up throughout the book and would slow down any immersion if the tepid plot and unformed characters already hadn't.

All in all, I hoped for a hidden diamond, and instead found this glass doorknob. I wasn't impressed.

The Lewis Trilogy: The Lewis Man / The Blackhouse / The Chessmen
The Lewis Trilogy: The Lewis Man / The Blackhouse / The Chessmen
by Peter May

4.0 out of 5 stars A Flinty Read, December 2, 2013
Pretty engrossing set of books. Of course, the milieu itself--the windswept, chilly, cloud-spangled, starkly beautiful Outer Hebrides off the coast of Scotland-- is clearly the main protagonist. The humans involved in the mysteries are clearly subordinated to the flinty, unforgiving and bewitching land in which the crimes are committed.

The Son (Pulitzer Prize in Letters: Fiction Finalists)
The Son (Pulitzer Prize in Letters: Fiction Finalists)
by Philipp Meyer
Price: $18.24
223 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Gad, July 2, 2013
This is a book I generally would buy from Amazon, but due to the gushing editorial reviews, I bought a signed copy from my local bookshop.

Now I wish I hadn't bought the thing at all.

This book is a construct. By that I mean a book that was cobbled together because the author needed a theme and because he was in a Texas writing program he decided Texas would do. So he wrote this phony claptrap.

Read Larry McMurtry. Every word he writes about the West and Texas comes out of what the man knows and believes. He respects his characters and the history and times they inhabit. His works pull you along with their engrossing honesty and imagination.

This author has a mocking, distant contempt for what he writes about. Consider his frequent and casual use of modern dirty words --words that jar against the 19th century sensibilities he is supposed to be portraying. Consider the 14 year old white boy seduced by the voluptuous Indian wife by the dark of a teepee where they apparently make love some dozen times before dawn, and try not to snigger. Consider the offhand modern day vernacular between 1840s Comanche boys.

The tone deaf examples go on and on. This is not a great book. It is not even a good book. It is lazy, phony and false and a waste of time and money. If readers do find this engrossing, then I truly do fear for the modern critical faculty. Have we really fallen so far from appreciation of true stories well told that we can't differentiate serious from condescension?
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2014 9:21 PM PDT

They Don't Dance Much: A Novel
They Don't Dance Much: A Novel
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pulp Noir, June 20, 2013
This is an engrossing book that contains elements of the pulp style of Jim Thompson with the noir approach of James M. Cain or Raymond Chandler.

The plotting isn't really crisp enough to call it an outright masterpiece, but it is earnest and surprising enough to make it a great read. The violence in this book is probably its most unusual feature for its time, because it is sudden, never foreshadowed and extremely brutal.

All in all, this is more a George Raft as hero novel rather than Humphrey Bogart, but it is fast and furious for all that, and well worth a read.

Right Ho, Jeeves
Right Ho, Jeeves
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, Mindless Drivel, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Right Ho, Jeeves (Kindle Edition)
Mindless drivel, but pitch perfect drivel.

It is one thing to read pleasant, very shallow prose, it is quite another to read prose that is so perfectly written and so sublimely ridiculous that you forget how much effort must have gone into making such a seemingly simple farce.

This is effortless effort that compels you along at a breakneck speed and when it is over, only makes you wish for more.

It is relaxing, hilarious and admirable. It is serious light-hearted reading, done by a master. The effect on me, in any case, is close to the way I feel after reading Mark Twain. It all looks so easy, but only a great talent could create that sense of ease.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4