Profile for Rebecca K. Irvine > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rebecca K. Irvine "RKIrvine" RSS Feed (Mesa, AZ USA)

Lord Haversham Takes Command (Miss Delacourt Book 4)
Lord Haversham Takes Command (Miss Delacourt Book 4)
Price: $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Lord Haversham: Amusing Regency Romance, June 26, 2013
Having read Heidi Ashworth's previous Delacourt books, I have to say this is some of her best writing yet. I loved "Lord Haversham Takes Command" and read it within two days.

The story is based on the romance of Harry ("Bertie") Haversham and Mira Crenshaw. (If you have read previous works by Ashworth, it is fun to see these characters are the children of the couples married in "Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind" and "Miss Delacourt Has Her Day.") Harry is working undercover for the Queen and has put on a fake persona of a fopp (now going by the name of Bertie), much to the surprise of Mira and her family who have known him since childhood. Mira has loved Harry since her youth, but is confused by this change. And her parents question whether or not to allow Mira and Harry to Court.

One of my favorite parts of the book include Harry's mother's antics--her "understated" soiree made me laugh out loud. Ashworth's creativity here shines.

This is a fun, clean (although there are a few good kissing scenes) regency romance. I look forward to more of Ashworth's books in the future. She is a reliable favorite author!

Where the River Once Flowed
Where the River Once Flowed
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Plot, Clean Read, April 10, 2013
I won a copy of "Where the River Once Flowed" on a blog and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed reading it once it came in the mail. I give it 4.5 stars. The plot author has developed a complicated, but exciting, plot about a young Hispanic woman (Iliana) whose grandfather arranges a marriage to a stranger to help ensure the family ranch/estate stays intact with his posterity. The book covers the next ten years or so of Iliana's life and the difficulties she faces with her husband, children, evil neighbors, and other common struggles of the day. The only reason this book does not get a full five stars is because I would have like to have seen the romance developed a little more fully. However, I read this book in less than a day and will be recommending it to friends and family.

Miss Delacourt Has Her Day (Avalon Romance)
Miss Delacourt Has Her Day (Avalon Romance)
by Heidi Ashworth
21 used & new from $0.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty Regency Romance, March 23, 2011
A few years ago I read Heidi Ashworth's regency romance 'Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind' and fell in love with the two main characters, Ginny Delacourt and Sir Anthony. I had honestly thought Ashworth had set the book up for a possible sequel, and made mention of this in a comment on her blog, only to learn that was not the case. But Heidi was intrigued by the idea and set to work on what is now affectionately known as MD2 (for Miss Delacout 2). Well, finally, that dream has come to fruition and 'Miss Delacourt Has Her Day' has arrived. I just had to order a copy to read right away and am now here to share.

So what did I think? Once again, I loved the main characters. What was impressive was that Ashworth gave greater depth to Ginny and Sir Anthony through the use of new situations and circumstances. I was clearly able to see growth and change in both of them. The continued use of foil characters Lucinda and Lord Avery were also an added bonus for the humorous themes of the book.

I also enjoyed the creative plot elements in 'Miss Delacourt Has Her Day.' Sir Anthony has some fun challenges to overcome in order to be able to wed his lovely Ginny--these led to plenty of laughs and even a bit of suspense. The slight plot twist involving one character with whom I share a name (Rebecca) was a nice curveball thrown in by Heidi.

All in all, I just love Heidi's style of writing. She has an intellectual quality in her use of words that I envy. And her ability to be witty and humorous (just check out the dialogue alone!) is on par with (if not better than) Sarah Eden's work.

Synopsis:
Ginny Delacourt felt the course of true love could not have run smoother. After all, it required only a fortnight, a pair of highwaymen, a pox quarantine, a sham betrothal, and a masquerade ball to bring Sir Anthony up to snuff. When her beloved suddenly becomes the heir to his uncle, the Duke of Marcross, protocol dictates that he drop the "Sir" from his name. It's his uncle who insists Ginny, daughter of a lowly vicar, is not the proper bride for a future duke.

Lucinda and Lord Avery arrive on the scene to stir up trouble, and Ginny's normally manipulative Grandaunt Regina seems helpless to arrange anything, least of all a frowned-upon wedding. It's up to Anthony, with help from his fussy valet, to see to it that Ginny has her day.

The road to true love just got a little bumpier.

A Very Merry Chase
A Very Merry Chase
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Regency Romance, February 9, 2011
Last month I won an e-version of A Very Merry Chase, a fun regency romance written by Teresa Thomas Bohannon. I have to admit I admire Ms. Bohannon--in the intro of the book she tells that this was 30+ years in the making. Personally, I am not sure I would ever have that much patience with the process; however, I think the end result was worth the effort because A Very Merry Chase has memorable characters and fast moving plot. I particularly liked Sabrina St. Clair, the lead character in the novel. She is a spunky woman who more than meets her match in Lord Branderly. If you like regency romance, this is worth the purchase!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2011 3:43 PM PDT

Innova  Stainless Steel 8-Quart Pressure Cooker with Steamer Insert and Bonus Lid
Innova Stainless Steel 8-Quart Pressure Cooker with Steamer Insert and Bonus Lid

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy at your own risk, January 3, 2007
I purchased this pressure cooker approximately 7 months ago. When I recently went to use it (after many successful and enjoyable occaisons) I found the pot had cracked about 8 times in a vertical fashion around the lip. I have since found out that the maker (Innova) is not longer in business and the company that has taken over their product line (Kinetic) will not honor the 3 year warranty--in fact, they have not responded to any commnications I have tried. It appears I will have to chalk this wasted $100+ to experience and try to buy another pressure cooker from a more reliable company.