Profile for random observer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

random observer "random observer" RSS Feed (Monroe County FL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
InvisibleShield Protective Film for HTC Google G2 - 1 Pack - Screen Protector - Retail Packaging - Screen Only
Offered by EZ Home Solututions, LLC
Price: $5.00
10 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Safe but not functional, April 28, 2011
I bought one of these notwithstanding the first review here, and I can say that Zagg now ships a skin that correctly fits the G2 screen. So far, so good. Also, the installation is not so bad provided you take your time. For me the most difficult part of the installation was peeling the paper from the shield.

So, how does it work? As a protector, it's fine. Dropped the phone the other day--no scratches at all. The skin is indeed impervious, and that's great. But it has two significant problems. First, the cured skin has a somewhat rubbery feel. This means that swiping the screen is going to be a bit more erratic. On an android phone, this means you may have to adjust the speed and effects. Not that big a deal, but still, since the screen is where the fingers are, it would be better if this was not introduced. Second, and more importantly, the skin has none--as in not any--anti-glare. In direct sunlight the only thing you can do with the phone is use it as a mirror or a reflector, as it is not possible to see the screen at all. So the upshot for me is that the Zagg fits, is not difficult to install and does protect the screen. On the other hand, it severely diminishes the phone's utility out of doors. I'm not going to remove the skin, but if you plan to use your phone outside, you should seriously consider looking elsewhere.

4 stars for protection, but no stars for lack of anti-glare, so 2 stars.

70082 Eureka Vacuum Cleaner Replacement Filter
70082 Eureka Vacuum Cleaner Replacement Filter
Offered by Vacuum Fix
Price: $5.08
4 used & new from $4.20

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive little sponge filter, April 1, 2011
This is the bit of coarse filter material that sits below the bag and above the motor in the Eureka Boss series. I'd suggest you shake it out when you change the filter bag, as this is a lot to charge for what appears to be a penny's worth of filtration material. Thus, the stars are a function of the price, not the product's utility; I would not run the vacuum without one.

MB Stone Care MB-1 Marble, Granite, and More Floor Cleaner - 1 Quart
MB Stone Care MB-1 Marble, Granite, and More Floor Cleaner - 1 Quart
Offered by MB Stonecare
Price: $14.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but pricey stone cleaner, April 1, 2011
Anyone who has a polished stone floor knows how difficult it can be to care for without leaving streaks or having to mop the floor all too frequently. After a number of uses, I can say that this product apparently does work as advertised--put the proper amount in a bucket of warm water, mop, and your floor is not only clean, but somewhat shiny as well. I can now see the reflection of the kitchen cabinets on the granite tile floor, for example. Just keep in mind that it is a floor cleaner, not a stain remover, so if you have stained marble, for example, you may need a different product. Recommended, but docked a star because the cost is a bit steep.

Update: after using the cleaner exclusively, I think the product deserves five stars. Even if the shipping is (was?) a bit steep, this product far outperforms anything else I've tried. It also makes post-cleaning cleanups a breeze--just a little water and a cloth, and presto, good as new.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 11:11 PM PDT

Premium Black Hard Rubberized Snap-on Case Cover for the HTC T-Mobile G2
Premium Black Hard Rubberized Snap-on Case Cover for the HTC T-Mobile G2
Offered by EPICDEALZ
Price: $4.95
3 used & new from $4.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a throwaway/single use case, April 1, 2011
As of this writing the case sells for 21 cents plus shipping. The case fits the US t-mobile G2 correctly and easily--snap it on and you're done. As others have noted, small plastic tabs secure the case to the phone. If you remove the case frequently, or as I did, drop the phone, it is likely that at least one of the tabs will break off and you'll need a new case. Still, the case did protect the phone, so I now think of these cases as disposable, and at this price it makes sense to buy several, if like me, you are not the world's most coordinated person.

Incidentally, the much more expensive Body Glove case is secured in the same fashion, so all you are paying for is the name, the better texture on the case and the little stand. I'd rather have the cash and buy a dozen of these.

HTC G2 Cell Phone T-Mobile
HTC G2 Cell Phone T-Mobile

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye, iPhone, January 28, 2011
I'm a former iPhone 3g user,* and a complete Android novice, so I thought I'd just give some of my impressions for the novices/newbies/potential switchers. Read the other reviews for more technical assessments. This phone is astoundingly fast and stable compared to my older iPhone. Apps are more stable, and phone calls are dropped less frequently with T-Mobile for some reason. The touch screen is a bit less sensitive than the iPhone, but once you are used to it, it's fine. One large difference for me is that when you move to Android, you see how tightly controlled the iPhone universe is. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you don't want to play around with the device, but compared to the openness of the Android platform it suddenly felt restrictive and confining. And as a user of many Google services, I like the tight integration.

Am I glad I switched? Absolutely. I had no particular quarrel with AT&T's signal and service, but the device itself was simply going kablooie too frequently (incidentally, my most recent iPhone was a swap for a refurb at the Apple store, as my first iPhone crashed and was unrepairable). For me, areas where the G2 soundly beats at least the older iPhones are: multiple keyboards, fewer app crashes, ability to modify your phone, speed and general array of useful features that you can customize. I can't see returning to an iPhone. As for the slider keyboard, maybe it's just me, but I don't see how the keyboard would slide out on its own as mine requires pushing through some stiffness.

And no I'm not an Android fanboi, at least not yet. The downsides of the phone include a lack of good accessories, fast battery drain (even after killing apps), and lousy speaker, and at least so far, the limited number of apps compared to the Apple closed universe.

*Yes, I know the 3gs and the 4 are faster, but that's not relevant here, as these are the phones that I am familiar with. Even accounting for the age of the 3g iPhone, the G2 is so much faster that the difference cannot be explained only by the age of my 3g. I'm talking here about processing speed, not network speed.

Craftsman Tool Bag
Craftsman Tool Bag
Offered by bookboy33
Price: $13.30
2 used & new from $8.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bag--when part of the set--too expensive here, January 25, 2011
This review is from: Craftsman Tool Bag (Misc.)
This is a great little widemouth bag from Craftsman (Sears). I'm not sure of country of manufacture, but more importantly, this bag is normally sold as one of a set of two. For this price you can get the set when it is on sale.

Quickie Twist Mop with Spot Scrubber
Quickie Twist Mop with Spot Scrubber
Price: $22.20
9 used & new from $12.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Intentions + Good Idea = Junk Product, January 1, 2011
This is an inconceivably lousy product. I, foolishly, bought one of these at a big box before reading these reviews, because it seemed such a sensible idea. It came apart the second time I wrung it out. Back to the box, I hand them the broken one, and get another new one. Opened it up today and it came apart before I even put it in the bucket. While trying to see if it was repairable, I discovered that the top end of the mop is attached to the mop handle by means of a cable tie looped around a piece of plastic. At that point I realized I'd been sold a product that was so shoddy that it couldn't work properly, or if it did, it was only by accident.

The shoddiness of this product has made me avoid all Quickie products. Any firm that would foist this garbage off on the consumer is not worth anyone's money.

Polder 6116 18/8 Stainless Steel Dish Rack
Polder 6116 18/8 Stainless Steel Dish Rack

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks great--so long as you don't use it, November 9, 2010
It is a nice looking dish rack, but the one here has rusted, not just at the joints but pretty much everywhere along the bottom third. The pan has not rusted, which is odd, since it is always full of water unless you empty it by hand after filling the rack with items to dry. Horrible design in that regard. Maybe it's a quality control issue, or this was just a badly-plated one. Either way, would never purchase another one.

Emerson Over The Head Bluetooth Headset (EM-237C)
Emerson Over The Head Bluetooth Headset (EM-237C)
Offered by Shukk@It
Price: $21.99
6 used & new from $15.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth for the Rest of Us, June 27, 2010
I will assume that if you are reading this you're here because like me you'v tried using other, fancier and better-looking bluetooth headsets. I've tried Motorola, Plantronics and the horrible Apple iPhone bluetooth, and those all had two things in common, in my experience: they cost at least twice as much and worked half as well, if that. This device is bulky and will make you look either like a miked singer or a customer service representative, but it works. The sound is significantly louder and with less static than any other model I've used. Perhaps most importantly, because the mic is in front of your mouth, most of the "noise cancellation" issues simply aren't present. This is the first bluetooth headset I've ever found where there is no noticeable difference between the sound in the phone and the sound in the headset.

The collection of the USB charging connections including the auto (lighter) one are a nice little bonus.

There are a few minor glitches but at this price point they are just quibbles: the headset can be difficult to adjust if you have big hair or a big head (I have both, so it's a bit of an issue); the over-the head arm doesn't really have much in the way of adjustment; the earphone can be a bit difficult to seat; the charge in mine runs out fairly quickly; sometimes I must reset (unplug) the cable and charger for the unit to begin charging. But as I said this are not major issues. Recommended if hearing your conversations is more important than looking fabulous.

Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant - Volume 1
Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant - Volume 1

5.0 out of 5 stars An American Classic, June 27, 2010
I concur with the first reviewer: this book made a civilian like myself understand a bit more of the complexity of any military campaign. In the subsequent sections (speaking of the free Kindle version) Grant also gives his opinion on a variety of subjects of national importance, though there is next to nothing of his time in the White House.

This transcription is quite good; here and there there are a few errors but they are not so frequent as to destroy the flow of the narrative.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5