Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Malfoyfan > Reviews

Browse

Malfoyfan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 379

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Malfoyfan "Cath" RSS Feed (Valley Village, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Granny Square Book: Timeless Techniques and Fresh Ideas for Crocheting Square by Square
by Margaret Hubert
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $17.05
85 used & new from $6.79

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it so far..., April 8, 2016
I recently got this book and have made three beginner squares from it. I'm an experienced knitter, but haven't done a lot of crocheting.

I like the photos and charts included for each pattern. I'm finding the charts are easier to read than the written-out directions, which do not always make sense to me. The photos are clear and between the two I've been able to figure out the squares.

The variety of patterns is nice and I look forward to moving up to the intermediate ones.

One problem I have is that I want to make the squares of equal size (planning to make a blanket) and the second two came out smaller than the first (so much smaller that blocking would not help), so I added a row of double crochet to each one to make the three squares the same size. It's hard to tell from the photos what size the square will be, although the cover photo makes it look like they'll all be the same size.

I will come back with an update to this review once I've completed more of the patterns. So far, I like the book, but having read some of the reviews mentioning errata, I'm going to be on the lookout for those.

The Man in the High Castle
The Man in the High Castle
Offered by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The production values and acting are good, especially that of Rufus Sewell, January 27, 2016
My husband and I thought this show was OK. The production values and acting are good, especially that of Rufus Sewell. I had some issues with the script, but that's common with me. I get annoyed with shows where the characters are behaving in a certain way, and then the story requires them to be stupid for a while in order to get them from point A to point B. That happened a few times. I have read the book and the show differs from it so significantly that almost the only thing they have in common is the title and characters' names. The TV show writers really had to cobble a story together, and to bring the characters together, in order for it to work as a series.

We felt that it would have been better as a stand-alone miniseries, rather than a long, multi-season series, because 10 episodes is a lot. It seemed in some episodes that there was a certain amount of filler.

I loved the opening title sequence and the use of the song "Edelweiss".

I would recommend this series with the caveat that it's pretty good, but doesn't rise to the level of "Breaking Bad" or "The Sopranos".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2016 4:00 PM PST

Thorlos  Womens Lite Hiking Thin Padded Ankle - Low Cut Socks | LTHMXW
Thorlos Womens Lite Hiking Thin Padded Ankle - Low Cut Socks | LTHMXW
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good socks, January 17, 2016
I love these socks for around-the-house wear. I am not a hiker. I have a cold house (old, bad insulation) and in the winter I wear these socks over a thinner pair of socks. Very soft, good fit. My only complaint is that they wear out faster than I think they should. But if I wore them inside shoes that probably wouldn't be an issue.

Bali Women's Stretch Brief Panty, White, 9
Bali Women's Stretch Brief Panty, White, 9
Price: $6.66
17 used & new from $4.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy so far, January 17, 2016
So far, I'm very happy with these briefs. A good fit, nice soft not-too-thin material. I will try to come back after a time and report how they fared after a number of washings. But after the difficulty I've had finding briefs from well-known manufacturers that fit well and are of good material, I'm quite happy to have tried these. Other brands seem to be changing their sizing and material, not for the better, so I needed to find a new brand I could count on to deliver what I'm looking for.

A Window Opens: A Novel
A Window Opens: A Novel
by Elisabeth Egan
Price: $20.43
162 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable debut, December 10, 2015
I just finished this book last night and really enjoyed it. It's a quick, light read. It has a nice mix of humor, satire and sadness and a story many of us in the "sandwich generation" can relate to - trying to raise a family, work and take care of aging/dying parents. I thought the depiction of Alice's nutty new-age workplace was hilarious and I also enjoyed her hectic family life. The situation with her father was full of honest emotion and I found it very moving. The plot's resolution was perfect - I only wondered why it took Alice so long to figure it out.

The reasons I'm giving it four stars are the constant, odd "product placement" throughout the novel, and Alice's husband's drinking problem, which I thought was overkill. We have enough product placement in TV shows and movies, I don't need it in a book. Just say "her purse" or whatever, I don't need to know the brand name. Overall, however, I thought it was a very good debut novel and I look forward to more from this author.

The Secret Rooms: A True Story of a Haunted Castle, a Plotting Duchess, and a Family Secret
by Catherine Bailey
Price: $12.14
207 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars That's IT?! Really?!, December 9, 2015
This book held my attention for about the first 100 pages. After that it dropped off sharply. The family secret at the heart of the story is not all that shocking, and unless you are interested in minute details about troop movements during WWI, I can't recommend reading this overly long book. While I think the author is a good writer, and did her research, the subject matter just isn't as interesting as the cover blurb would have one believe. It's really just a study of a very dysfunctional aristocratic family - complete with helicopter mom, emotionally distant dad, and a son who didn't have the spine to live his own life. I felt that since the author couldn't find answers to some of the questions about the family, she padded the narrative with a lot of extraneous details that were not very compelling to read (I skimmed a lot of the war stuff). It's kind of a shame, since the book started out quite well.

Hester Street
Hester Street
DVD ~ Carol Kane
Price: $17.99
23 used & new from $11.96

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure, December 3, 2015
This review is from: Hester Street (DVD)
One of my favorite movies. Sometimes the acting is a little broad or over-the-top, but it sort of fits the movie's story of immigrants learning the ways of a new country. Carol Kane is wonderful, but all the actors fit their roles quite well. The costumes and sets look authentic to the time and place. A real treasure of a small film.

Hammered Dulcimer Christmas
Hammered Dulcimer Christmas
Price: $16.26
7 used & new from $11.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for Christmas listening pleasure, December 3, 2015
Great holiday music selections, and I'd listen to this CD any time, not just at Christmas. It's very soothing. I would like to hear more from this artist.

Fruit of the Loom Women's 6 Pack Original Cotton Brief Panties, White, 10
Fruit of the Loom Women's 6 Pack Original Cotton Brief Panties, White, 10
Offered by NY Lingerie
Price: $17.00
2 used & new from $8.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Would not buy again, December 3, 2015
Fit is a little more snug than other brands of the same size and the fabric is thin. I'm not really happy with these and would not buy again. I usually like this brand so I'm wondering if they are having them made somewhere with no quality control and a cheaper fabric.

Candle Impressions Ombre Design Pillar Real Wax Flameless Candles w/Auto Timer Feature - Set of 5 - Buttercream
Offered by Genuine Essentials
Price: $59.95
7 used & new from $28.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, value, and appearance are excellent!, November 11, 2015
I needed some flameless candles and had not found the quality or size I was looking for at what I considered a fair price. )I'm not willing to pay $20 for one candle.) When I saw this candle set on Amazon, I was impressed with the many positive reviews and decided to order the set. I am very happy with the purchase. All the candles work - sounds weird, but a problem with previous sets I've purchased is that some of them do not work straight out of the box. When lit, the glow is a soft bright yellow and very pleasing to the eye. They take AA batteries, which are easy to put in. I like the pretend "wick" and also the fact that the tops are not "melted" looking, as many sets are done this way and I'm not fond of that look. Also, the sizes are perfect for my needs. I have several lanterns I bought at IKEA and the shorter candles fit inside them perfectly and look great, exactly what I wanted for my Christmas decor. The larger size candles will work well among some sparkly trees. I plan to buy another set down the road. Great purchase!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20