Profile for Tony L. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tony L. RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
USMLE Step 1 Secrets, 2nd Edition
USMLE Step 1 Secrets, 2nd Edition
by Thomas Brown
52 used & new from $3.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd buy this again just for renal!, January 11, 2011
Wonderful case by case teaching style to explain difficult concepts in renal physiology. This edition includes an acid-base chapter that is missing from the previous edition. I haven't had much time to look at other sections, but the acid-base chapter alone made it worth every penny.

HDE Mini-DVI to DVI-D Adapter Cable for Apple Mac
HDE Mini-DVI to DVI-D Adapter Cable for Apple Mac
Offered by Cmple
Price: $9.99
9 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works if you dont touch it, January 11, 2011
I connect my computer to an external monitor. It works great as long as you dont move the laptop. As soon as you touch it or move the computer more than a few inches, the screen flickers and connection is lost for a few seconds until you find the sweet spot for connectivity.

Functional, but the quality could be improved.

I Am Legend
I Am Legend
by Richard Matheson
85 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, January 11, 2011
This review is from: I Am Legend (Paperback)
Cheap book and a quick read. The story is quite different from the movie, and I think I like the book better. I'm a science nerd, and I love how they talk about a potential scientific mechanism for the transformation of the human race (trying hard not to give away any spoilers). There are some more short stories at the end I haven't checked out yet, but I"m sure they will be great.

Canon PIXMA MP495 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One (4499B026)
Canon PIXMA MP495 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One (4499B026)
Offered by Stone's Store
Price: $209.99
10 used & new from $54.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright of the price, but I'm gonna pay later, January 11, 2011
Pros
Setup was a breeze, and without an LCD you have to connect it physically with the included USB cord, but that wan't a big deal for me.

Photo quality is amazing, and the ink dries almost instantly on the included photo paper. I even tried the print from my phone feature and it printed a borderless photo like a charm.

Black and white documents seem crisper on this printer than my last, but I had an old printer and i was using off-brand ink, so not sure how useful that comparison is.

Wifi, which works great and has not had a problem staying connected to my network.

Cons
Sure this is a cheap printer, and cheapest on Amazon, but there are plenty of draw backs. First, the paper loads from the back and pops out the front. This is an old Canon design, i know, but it really messes with the aesthetics of the printer. I'd prefer that it load from the front.

Second, it takes an agonizing amount of time to start printing the first page, at least 20 sec. Each page prints in 10 sec or less once it starts, but it still takes a large pause between pages.

I have a mac, and it will NOT allow manual duplexing. Come on, Canon, is that feature REALLY that hard to add? Now I have to print one page at a time, or over over my printer to feed new sheets of paper as they come out to achieve the same effect.

The ink seems like it will go out quickly. My software tells me i'm already down to 3/4 on black, and I cant have printed more than 15-20 pages. The cartridge is 1/2 the size of a similarly priced Kodak cartridge for a similarly priced Wifi printer, the Kodak ESP 5250 All-in-One Printer which is cheaper at Walmart. My parents have it and it works great.

Summary
I don't print that much, and rarely print pictures. Hopefully the economics of this printer works out for me for at lest the next 2 years that i'm likely to have this printer. I'd go for the printer with cheaper ink, though.

Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder, Black
Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder, Black
Price: $80.99
20 used & new from $80.99

3.0 out of 5 stars French Press: static, dust, price, and confusing marketing, January 11, 2011
Let me start by saying I bought this to use with my french press and that this is my first burr grinder.

I was happy to see that I no longer have half or even whole coffee beans in my grind anymroe like i did with my Proctor Silex E160B Fresh Grind Coffee Grinder, White. I do think my coffee tastes better, but I am still unhappy with the amount of fine grinds this grinder will produce. Grinding at the store, i get much less sediment in my cup of coffee than when i grind on this, which I was hoping to avoid considering the slower speed of the grind and the commercial grade metal burrs.

When grinding on even course settings, dust seems to fly in the container. I am in chicago in the winter, so the low humidity may be contributing to this, but with similarly priced grinders offering silicate containers, like the Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black, Capresso needs to up their game!

Also, you should note that the stainless steel model shown on this page is apparently a different model, 565, that some are saying works better than this one.

Overall, sure this is a nice gaget, but I don't think it's worth $80, and I'm one who loves my coffee. If you coffee is tasting bitter, and you dont know what's wrong, try measuring the temperature of your water before you pour it into your coffee. That's what I have started doing AFTER buying this grinder and I wish I had discovered it sooner, because that small change made a world of difference in the taste of my coffee. I like my water at 195 F. Try that first, then if you are still unhappy with the taste, buy one of these to improve the flavor a little more.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2011 7:11 PM PST

Taylor 5989N Classic Instant Read Pocket Thermometer
Taylor 5989N Classic Instant Read Pocket Thermometer
Price: $6.62
34 used & new from $3.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not accurate from freezing to boiling water., January 11, 2011
Same problem as what another reviewer had seen. It reads 40 half-submerged in water and 200 in water at a roaring boil. I calibrated the thermometer to the ice water and, surprise, now it reads boiling water at 190. I wanted it to measure water temperature for french press, so i re-calibrated it for boiling water and it now reads ice water at 50.

I think it will be accurate enough for measuring my boiling water, but if a product shows a dial ranging from 0F to 220F, it should be accurate in that range, no excuses! Sure it is cheap, but truth in advertising is important, because I would have just passed up this item if I knew it would not be accurate.

You know, I could sell a wooden block with a dial painted on it pointed to 212F for $1 as a thermometer and say, "Hey! At least it accurately measures the temperature of boiling water, and look how cheap it is! Don't be so demanding of a cheap product." But it wouldn't be very useful and you'd be out that money. Sure it would be cheap, but if it doesn't do what should be expected of it, then it is still a waste of money.

Generic Compatible Ink Cartridge Replacement for Brother LC41 ( Black,Cyan,Magenta,Yellow , 12-Pack )
Offered by Office Valley
Price: $8.22
12 used & new from $6.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks, "Out of Ink", and Strange odor, December 15, 2010
When I first got them, there was some problems tripping the sensor that the ink was full. It resolved by itself, so I didnt worry about it. Then, I noticed that when printing with these cartridges, a funny odor would come from my printer and my paper would smell like what I can only compare to Windex. Today, when I cleaned the cartridges and printed a print quality check, the yellow looked black! I didnt know why, so I removed the yellow and ink came gushing out of the cartridge! A literal stream until I tilted the cartridges upside down. These have been in the printer for about 3 months, so the leaking problem didn't start right away.

I've purchases much better ink from Amazon for the Brother printer. Do yourself a favor and find one of them to avoid the strange smell, compatibility problems with the "out of ink" sensor, and leaking ink.

Korg CM-100L Clip On Contact Microphone For Tuners
Korg CM-100L Clip On Contact Microphone For Tuners
Offered by Direct-Supply
Price: $12.09
6 used & new from $12.09

4.0 out of 5 stars More accurate tuning, October 17, 2010
I find that I get a more consistant reading on my Korg tuner when I use this contact microphone. The pitch does not track up or down as many cycles as the note is sustained when I tune my guitar with this mic compared to without.

However, I don't think this is necessary for tuning unless you are in a very loud environment.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Work great, October 17, 2010
I am no professional classical guitarist, but these strings sound and fit great and the finish feels good. Didn't take too long to break them in, either.

Gear One GS-2 Metal Guitar Stand (Black)
Gear One GS-2 Metal Guitar Stand (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for my classical guitar, October 17, 2010
Great product at a great price. The base stand for the guitar is padded to protect the finish, and the neck is adjustable. There is no rubber wrap to secure the neck in place, but I don't have kids or pets running around to potentially knock my stand over.

Page: 1 | 2