Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for Glenn > Reviews

Browse

Glenn's Profile

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Glenn RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Gute Classic WINNER Mechanical Watch white Dial Blue Hands PU Band Self-wind Men-standard
Offered by Gute Trade
Price: $20.19
5 used & new from $19.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent as a super-cheap automatic mechanical watch, but there are better options., May 31, 2015
For the price that I paid for this watch (<$20), I am fairly pleased with it. I love the look, the band is passable and comfortable (a note for people with thin wrists, you will definitely need to punch a hole in the band or replace it), the date function works, batteries are never an issue, and the see-through back of the watch is a nice touch. To keep it powered, I wear it daily and wind it a bit in the morning and night. It has only died on me once when I forgot to wind it, but otherwise has not stopped running.

That said, this watch has some serious flaws. First and foremost, my particular watch loses about a minute a day while other reviewers have reported greater losses of time. To offset this, I simply move the watch ahead a minute per day. If you are looking for a cheap and accurate watch in this price range, look for a quartz watch instead - even the worst quartz watches are far, far more accurate than this. The second issue I've had with this watch is the clear lack of quality control. My particular watch has had two tiny pieces of lint inside the face of the watch since it arrived and will presumably stay there until the watch stops functioning and is discarded/disassembled.

Still, for a dirt-cheap automatic mechanical watch, provided you keep your expectations low, one could do far worse.

HDE Men's Solar Power Water Resistant Digital Chronograph Stopwatch Sports Watch (Black)
Offered by HDE
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value., June 20, 2014
I was looking for a cheap digital watch. Not only was this watch affordable, it has a battery partially powered by solar energy to make it last longer (saving time, money, and frustration later by slowing the rate at which the battery dies and needs to be replaced). The watch itself is of very nice quality considering the price. The face of the watch is quite large and may look silly on a small wrist, so keep that in mind.

Seiki SE40FH03 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV
Seiki SE40FH03 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV
Offered by goHastings
Price: $298.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for its cost, but poor quality control. QAM Tuner disabled by default., December 3, 2013
I picked up the 40" Seiki SE40FH03 on sale for $170 during Amazon's black Friday week. For that price, it is worth it (provided you do not get dead pixels like I did), no questions asked. The picture and the sound are OK. The picture does needs adjusting out of the box, though. I have also already encountered a number of issues that make me question whether the set would be worth it at a higher price:

1. No backlight control. Or at least no backlight control without entering the service menu and going to others -> other setting -> backlight (see below), and the TV is very bright by default.
2. The QAM tuner (needed for cable without a cable box) is disabled by default! I thought the tuner was broken at first, as the TV can still be set to scan for cable, but it will find nothing by default. I own a Westinghouse set which pulled a similar stunt, but I just had to go to their website to enter the code to enable the tuner in a straightforward manner. I discovered later that the QAM tuner can be enabled in the service menu by going to "others -> other setting -> Cable QAM" (see below). It was downright stupid for Seiki to put the option in a dangerous section of the TV (you do not want to play around in the service menu unless you know what you are doing, as you could brick the TV by hitting a wrong option). Worse, there is NO mention of the disabled tuner in the manual or on the set itself, so I am guessing Amazon will see returns from people claiming the tuner is broken.
3. The set is very thick as far as LED sets go. If you want a nice-looking thin set, look elsewhere. It is as thick as my old LCD set. At least its design looks nice from the front.
4. The biggest issue: There are several clusters of dead pixels on my screen (at least 30(!) dead pixels altogether, in groups of 5+ pixels together). They are small enough to not be seen at a distance and almost unnoticable while gaming/watching television (except on static images), so I do not want to go through the hassle of returning the set and paying $80+ more for a different one. I am guessing that Seiki has poor quality control (as most lower-end brands do). I would definitely return this if I could get another set this cheap, and I know many that would return the set outright.
5. If your set breaks outside of the return period, Seiki's warranty service is terrible (YOU pay freight both ways, etc). I think extended warranties usually are not worth it, but if you pay a higher price for this set it may be worth looking into.
6. No smart features, 120hz/240hz, 3D, internet, or anything else. This is a bare-bones 1080p TV. If you want something else, look elsewhere. I did not deduct any stars for this.
7. Poor black levels and mediocre sound (but who buys a TV for its speakers?),

Service Menu: At your own risk, to enter the service menu, press menu on the included remote. Once it pops up, press 0 four times to enter the service menu; Do NOT adjust settings or enter menus within the service menu if you are unsure of what they do. Most stuff you want to adjust (backlight, tuner, etc) is in the "other" section.

One last tip: The TV's glass stand comes with an annoying sticker on it. It does not come off easily at all. I tried and it teared to shreds.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2013 12:22 PM PST

NETGEAR N150 Wi-Fi Range Extender for Mobile - Wall Plug Version (WN1000RP)
NETGEAR N150 Wi-Fi Range Extender for Mobile - Wall Plug Version (WN1000RP)
Price: $18.99
99 used & new from $10.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Setup was horrific, but the result was worth it., September 30, 2013
I bought Netgear's wifi booster (model WN1000RP) because my router's signal does not reach the entire house and moving my modem is an impossibility. Upon buying the booster, I tried to set it up through the secure connection button first. It connected to the router successfully, but it would not connect to the internet (it could not find my ip address). I had to resort to the manual setup (and getting to the page on my laptop to even do that was hard; only about after the 10th time trying the provided web address could I access the setup page). Much to my disappointment, I had the same problem: No ip address but a good connection to the router. Checking the reviews here, I found another reviewer with the same problem and found out the cause. Though this claims to support a mixed security mode, it doesn't. Switching to WPA2-PSK only solved the problem.

As for the WN1000RP's performance, it works completely as advertised. 5 stars for perfomance, 1 star for setup and the lie about or poorly implemented acceptance of mixed wifi security.

ANDROSET Mini 2.4GHz Wireless Air Keyboard and Air Mouse with 3D Gaming Support for PC and Android
Offered by SpeedLLC
Price: $22.99
2 used & new from $19.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Promising, but let down by horrible range., September 24, 2013
This remote for computers is great function-wise but suffers from horrible range. The remote basically needs to be pointed at the USB receiver to work, and even then the zone you must aim at to get any response is tiny. I would give this 4 stars if you are using it up close (within 1 or two feet). Few probably use remotes that close, though.

Also, side note, I got this to work with my MK808 Android stick, if anybody is interested in buying one for use with Android.

SANOXY® Mini Computer,1080P Dual-core Android 4.1 TV Box MK808 Mini PC RK3066 1GB DRR3+8GB Nand Flash Black
Offered by SpeedLLC
Price: $49.99
4 used & new from $40.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrible wifi, otherwise nice., September 24, 2013
The MK808 android stick I bought is a snappy little device and a steal for the money, with 1 drawback. The wifi is awful. It works fine if you use it in the same room as the router, but go 3 rooms away and good luck even getting two bars of signal strength. There MIGHT be ways to fix the wifi via soldering, but I am not comfortable doing that myself. If you are using it within a very short distance of a router, by all means buy it. Otherwise, I would wait until a cheap stick with good wifi comes along. It really is a deal-breaker (constant disconnects, inability to even browse the web, etc).

Westinghouse UW40TC1W 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV
Westinghouse UW40TC1W 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty firmware is common with this model, but it is otherwise a good set, June 9, 2013
At first, I thought the Westinghouse UW40TC1W was a great value. It is crazy slim and is more pleasing to look at (in terms of set aesthetics, with the picture off) than a few Sony/Samsung TVs I have seen. The picture itself is good with surprisingly not-terrible black levels (a very common issue with no-name sets). There are some questionable design choices (a backlight that is largely not controllable, settings that are hard to calibrate because numbers are not provided, etc) and the input selection is lacking, but I otherwise like the features. The sound is surprisingly adequate. Westinghouse's TV warranties and customer service are said to be atrocious, but I have not needed to rely on either. Unfortunately, everything is somewhat ruined by the TV's firmware issues (and reading through the some of the negative reviews for this set, it appears that I am not alone). When using a remote to control the set, either the included one or the one that controls the cable box I have hooked up to it, the set sometimes misreads commands as number presses and switches to the "TV" input (the built-in tuner which one would use if they received their signal through an antenna or coaxial cable; I should note now that if you want to use the tuner, you need to receive an activation code from Westinghouse's website). In effect, pressing any button is a game of Russian roulette: Will you be randomly taken to the TV input, disrupting your viewing, or will your command actually work? In fairness, this does not happen 99% of the time, but when it does it is incredibly frustrating. Another problem that appears more often is that the face buttons on the front of the TV tend to not work correctly. Pressing the "input" button on the front, for example, is likely to cause the set to flip out and reset to the default set-up menu. Given these issues, I CANNOT recommend this set to anybody (unless you will be setting up the set and seldom touching it), which is a shame given the good picture/sound and budget price.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 12:15 PM PST

Zeki 7" TB782B Capacitive Multi-touch Tablet
Zeki 7" TB782B Capacitive Multi-touch Tablet
Offered by goHastings
Price: $59.99
4 used & new from $59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Made well but is underpowered, January 15, 2013
This tablet is built very well and feels great while you are using it. The speaker is OK (but a tad quiet), the ports all work, and the touchscreen is great. The resolution is bad, but the display is still nice (my tablet shipped with a dead pixel, though). The problems are the tablet's power and app availability. It cannot even run Angry Birds smoothly, and performs similarly with many of the apps I have tried. This does NOT have Google Play, and I do not know (or care) to get it, but I know many will care. I used Amazon's app store for my needs, and other alternative app stores (1Mobile, etc) installed fine as well. For web browsing and E-Book reading at a low cost, this is a solid choice though.

KMD Xbox 360 Live Gaming Headset with Mic
KMD Xbox 360 Live Gaming Headset with Mic
Price: $6.99
14 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, can only be worn over left ear, September 30, 2012
This mic can only be worn on the left ear. If you're still interested, continue reading this review.

I accidentally broke my mic that was included with my Xbox 360, so I bought this to replace it. In terms of the sound it emits through the speaker and the sound the mic pics up, it works just as well as the original headset, in my opinion. The headset size can be adjusted like with the X360's included mic, which is a plus. The mic's position is adjustable, but only can be set to the left side of your head, which wasn't indicated in the description of the product (other reviewers mentioned this fact, so I wasn't taken by surprise). Finally, I didn't deduct a star for this, but the headset I received is completely black and was made by a company called Hydra Electronics (some generic Chinese-based company without a website), unlike the pictured one which is grey and white and is made by KMD. It otherwise is identical to the headset in the picture, which leads me to believe that there is one manufacturer of this product but it is sold under different labels.

Coby CX789 DDigital AM/FM/NOAA Radio with Dual Alarms (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Electronics Warehouse Outlet
Price: $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price, September 20, 2012
Short version of this review: Excellent FM and Weather Band Reception, generally good AM reception, tons of features which seem to work as intended (some I did not/could not test).

The reviews here on Amazon made me leery of trying out Coby's CX-789, but I bit the bullet anyway because no other radios in its price range (around $20) offer digital tuning, not to mention dual alarms, a weather band, and enough presets to make my head spin. I have so far been very impressed by the radio. The alarms are more than adequate to get me up. The built in earphone jack works pretty well and gives sound to both ears (unlike a number of similar radios I've tried that only have output to one ear). The lock switch seems like a silly addition, but it works fine. The built-in backlight cannot be permanently turned on and only stays on for about 8 seconds when activated. It cuts down on the viewing angle of the LCD screen, so you'll need to be looking at the screen at an even level to look at it. On the topic of the screen, it is kind of tough to read at a distance or at angles anyway (just less so with the light off, except in the dark, obviously). One annoying feature of the radio is that it displays the station instead of the time, even after a station has been tuned for a while. You can press the "TIME" button to look at the time (and press it more times to view the radios), but only for 5 seconds. The volume knob is pretty precise, but turning it all the way down doesn't mute the sound (the only way to completely turn off the sound is by powering off the radio). The built-in speaker sounds good for a portable radio, just don't expect wonders. There is a DX/Local switch for reception, but I really wouldn't know how to test it (and the manual doesn't explain it). There are sleep and snooze buttons, so this radio can be used as an alarm clock as well (though the display's viewing angles probably require you to get the time itself from a different clock). The radio can be powered either by 3 D batteries, by AC power, or by the DC 4.5v input. I only tested it on AC power, but it works fine. Finally, the radio can be set to scan for emergency NOAA signals. I have it set to scan for such signals, but I thankfully haven't seen that feature in action.

As for the digital radio, tuning it, and reception (the three main reasons I bought it), I am relieved to say that this is the best radio I've ever owned in those three areas. There are three ways to tune the radio. The first is the manual method, pressing the tuning up/down buttons to change frequency by 10 kHz or .1 mHz. The second method, the scanning method, works as you would expect. Hold down the tuning up/down button and the radio will try to find stations with strong signals. This method works OK, but I've found that it occasionally skips past some stations with strong signals. The last method is called the direct tuning method. After pressing the "ENTER" button, you can enter your station directly using the number/preset buttons, which is pretty cool. There are also 10 presets per band, minus the weather band which has 7 which cannot be changed. Reception, the single most important thing, is absolutely excellent on the FM band (with the antenna fully extended). I was able to pick up a distant station even my car's radio could only get intermittently with ease (after correctly positioning the antenna) I believe it is good on the weather band, but I'm not sure how to judge signal strength on that band. I do get an extra channel on that band I didn't get on another weather radio, and better reception on the channel the other radio got. Reception is generally good on the AM Band (excellent with strong stations), provided that the radio is in optimal position to receive desired stations (as the AM antenna is directional, not the same as the rod antenna for FM reception). It did struggle for some odd reason with a certain local channel (the volume fluctuates on it, but I don't have that problem on any other radios). I didn't get a chance to plug in an external antenna, but there appears to be a jack for that.

Still, despite how much I love this radio, I would exercise caution before buying it. Coby is notorious for quality control issues and terrible warranty policies. My radio arrived in perfect condition, minus a small (but noticeable) scratch on the display. Others have been less lucky than I am. The radio seems very fragile, and I'm not sure it would survive a drop. If you are interested in this radio, make sure that you buy it from a place with a good return policy (like Amazon) in the event you get a dud. One last other thing to note: In the battery compartment, there is a switch that can be set to 110v or 220v. You want it on 110v, or problems can occur when the unit is run on AC power. Numerous reviewers have gotten radios with the switch in the wrong position, so before you use this radio, make sure it is in the correct position (mine was).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3