Profile for A reader > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A reader RSS Feed

Essence of the Upanishads: A Key to Indian Spirituality (Wisdom of India)
Essence of the Upanishads: A Key to Indian Spirituality (Wisdom of India)
by Eknath Easwaran
Price: $12.80
69 used & new from $6.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful interpretation, June 6, 2010
I can honestly that this book, under its earlier title _Dialogue with Death_, changed my life. I have reread it many times. Easwaran has a wonderful way of opening up texts that initially seem forbidding, and, through humor and deep wisdom, helping the reader connect with the timeless wisdom they contain. I have read all of Easwaran's books, but this is the one I find myself returning to most often. It really changed the way I look at myself and my place in the world, as well as the way I view others. Highly recommended!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2015 7:52 AM PDT

Life Left To Go
Life Left To Go
Price: $7.39
68 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars High energy music, ridiculous lyrics, February 6, 2010
This review is from: Life Left To Go (Audio CD)
I actually enjoy this band a fair bit. They have a lot of positive energy, and Doug Brown is very cute. But he really needs to work on his lyrics. A good song can be ruined by cliches or pointless lines ("I don't care what clothes you wear, it's time for love and I don't care"--not just a dumb line but repetitive). I suspect they are better live but this really isn't bad for a first effort.

The Uncrowned King of Swing: Fletcher Henderson and Big Band Jazz
The Uncrowned King of Swing: Fletcher Henderson and Big Band Jazz
by Jeffrey Magee
48 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars What a jazz book should be, June 28, 2007
In this world of mass-market trade publications on jazz, it is really refreshing to read such a musically literate book. This fascinating and engaging text is in no way beyond the general reader (i.e., one without an extensive musical background) but it is refreshing to actually see written music in a book on music, and an important jazz volume not written by a critic or journalist (not that there isn't room for the latter too, of course).