Profile for Holy_Handgrenade > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Holy_Handgrenade RSS Feed (Phoenix, AZ USA)

Learn German: Rosetta Stone German - Level 1-5 Set
Learn German: Rosetta Stone German - Level 1-5 Set
Price: $199.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good beginning, but you will get lost if you rely on this., April 5, 2014
I've wanted to learn German for a very long time. When I was in my 20's I ended up by listening to a lot of german music and attempting to follow along by looking up lyrics. However, I quickly became lost - not knowing words even though I can sing along with popular music. So a few years ago I looked around and because of reviews, decided on purchasing Rosetta Stone German.

Immediately I was associating pictures to words and phrases. But as I progressed, I got sort of confused as to why words were changing (german has 3 "genders") While I saw the difference between formal and informal speaking, I still couldnt wrap my head around some of the words and why they changed from one phrase to another. I did press on but found other supplemental learning supplies, most of which included some lengthy grammar explainations. Which helped. However, I was going to germany and was quickly running out of time.

Having gone through 3 levels of Rosetta Stone German, I figured that I was far from fluent, but I should be able to at least get around. Wrong. I could introduce myself, explain I came from USA, and to a smaller extent point to an Item and ask how much it was, or say that I wanted it (even though I didnt know the german word for it). Beyond that, I had a very hard time with just what I learned in Rosetta Stone.

Dont get me wrong, I do like it, and it is a great beginning; however, It requires so much more supplemental instruction and self study that for the cost, it's actually cheaper to head over to your local Community College and get a more thorough explanation and intro to the language.

Lauren Ipsum
Lauren Ipsum

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible! Finally an accessible intro to comp sci for kids!, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Lauren Ipsum (Kindle Edition)
I was excited when I first learned about this project almost a month ago. Carlos decided to post the first chapter up on the projects main website which hooked me instantly. As soon as it was available I got it for the kindle and took the time to read it fully.

The exceptional part of this work is that it is an accessible introduction to computer science and how the various systems work. While this is not the first attempt I've seen at directing kids into the fascinating world of computer science, this is the first one that doesn't stumble on presenting complex topics such as math as a workbook or otherwise try to explain binary in a "textbook" sort of way.

Everything is presented in a very Alice in Wonderland style of story where every concept is explained from a character's point of view and uses characterizations to convey or represent specific concepts. In the case of binary, Carlos presents the ways that it is used first showing it in action, with our heroine, Laurie, asking the "how does it do that?" question which gets explained clearly by another character. Covering things like algorithms, encryption, security concepts, precision and heuristics, even presenting how to work on a timing attack. Userland is also described beautifully and makes some, not as obvious as other, attempts at explaining how computer systems are organized.

As an adult, I enjoyed the read. It was fun to go through and constantly going back through the chapters going "Ahh, I see what you did there!" All in all I highly recommend this book for anyone, not just kids.

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing
Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing
by Rytek Kutas
Price: $24.15
76 used & new from $18.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, jam packed with valuable information, April 15, 2011
I just got into sausage making and ordered this book based on the reviews and rating this book has.

Having only gotten this 3 days prior to writing this review, I can honestly say this was well worth the money. A good deal is spent on explaining the hows and whys as well as some incredibly detailed information about some of our most controversial of ingredients as well as some very good scientific explanations as to the nutritive properties and processes from curing and fermentation. This book is well worth the buy for this information alone and I strongly encourage anyone that is even remotely interested in food science and ingredients to get this book, even if your not going to make sausage.

That said, There are a few gripes but all of them I'm perfectly willing to put up with and didn't affect my rating of the book any. First, you can tell that the author is not a writer. While explaining things he does seem to ramble a bit and repeat himself throughout the book. There are a lot of citations and quotes throughout the book, especially in the beginning of the book. Theres no difference in formatting or font to tell what's being cited, or what's being written by the author. A perfect example of this was an FDA report about the use of nitrates/nitrites. This report is printed in full and takes up several pages. The only warning is the author says when it begins. Several pages into the report I couldn't tell if I was still reading the report or authors comments on the report.

With all the oddities of this book, it doesnt detract from the overall incredible amount of knowledge presented. With this, you are informed and ready to tackle making your own sausages at home. The author also spends quite a bit of time explaining how and why things are done the way they're done so you're not blindly following some recipe just because it says so. With this you can begin experimenting and making your own sausage recipes instead of following others.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers
KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers
Price: Click here to see our price
69 used & new from $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent home grinder, April 15, 2011
I just ordered this based on several suggestions from books and some friends. I was kind of skeptical about how good this could be but after having used it, it's a perfect little grinder.

I just got into sausage making and bought 5lbs of pork shoulder that needed grinding. So I washed this out and after drying thoroughly placed in the fridge for cooling and placed the cubed meat in the freezer. This ground 2 lbs of meat in about 10 minutes as a one man job. The hopper was a little small and could only hold about a half pound. So holding the tray to catch the meat as well as loading a hopper and pushing it down was a little bit of a pain to get the hang of, but once it was figured out, it was very smooth sailing. I followed one of the tips from another reviewer about throwing a piece of bread through the grinder for cleanup, and it worked beautifully. The meat ground out to a wonderful consistency and made a very tasty sausage. I would recommend this to a friend.

Maverick CT-03 Digital Oil & Candy Thermomter
Maverick CT-03 Digital Oil & Candy Thermomter
Price: $16.99
37 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much much better than the negative reviews suggest., December 29, 2010
Just got mine in today! I bought this because this is the ONLY digital candy thermometer that's rated higher than a 3. With that said, after I placed the order I saw the negatives and braced myself for disappointment. Many of the negatives are actually declared features (turns off after 3.5 minutes under 130 degrees) So monitoring cooling will need to be done manually and this is definitely out for chocolate tempering without manually checking and turning it back on every 3.5 minutes.

Beyond that, it appears the clip has been widened so even though this is very top-heavy it feels fairly stable on the pot I use for all my candy making. That being said, I would take some extra care while it's on the pot not to smack it around. The readout does tilt to make it easier to read. The presets are the only alarms you can get, and each temperature range is stamped on the back of the unit. Since I'm used to monitoring temperatures manually this will not be a big deal. Even though I do other prep-work while waiting for temps to hit a certain number. The alarms will come in handy but not for the majority of the work I do (chocolate, nougats, and giandujas)

I would most definately recommend this to anyone I know and it's so far definately worth the money.

Chocolates and Confections at Home with The Culinary Institute of America
Chocolates and Confections at Home with The Culinary Institute of America
by Peter Greweling
Price: $22.76
55 used & new from $17.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginners guide to home candy making, December 12, 2010
I just picked this book up a few days ago specifically for chocolates and truffles. I found the techniques and instructions very clear and easy to follow. This is not a normal cookbook in that the first part of the book covers the techniques and the overall "whys" of how to make candy. Just before you get into any recipes, the author goes over all the techniques that would be required and what to do when there are mistakes, as well as covering some of the pitfalls. Each recipe is very thorough and easy to follow. At the end of the recipe there are also some "troubleshooting" and tips. So if you find yourself in a situation like the single reviewer that rated this book poorly, the answers are in the book and clearly explained prior to the recipes. I have yet to move on to the nougats and other recipes in this book but after trying out 3 of the recipes for truffles, I can only imagine how awesome the other recipes will turn out.

$30 Film School
$30 Film School
by Michael W. Dean
Price: $18.99
70 used & new from $1.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and Great Value, May 28, 2007
This review is from: $30 Film School (Paperback)
Michael Dean takes you through the stages of writing filming and financing and ultimately completing and touring a film.

There is a lot of good information and fairly useful information when it comes to shooting, writing or producing your film. A lot of the information is biased towards non-profit funding and trying to establish your project as a non-profit which is difficult to do and wont fit most projects. Likewise a lot of advice is directed towards a documentary project. I can definately see where the information is useful on other styles of projects as well.

Aside from a few minor technical errors in reference to computer storage capacity vs. dvd capacity this book is very intuitive and gets right to the point. It's also written in such a way that you dont need to read the whole book cover to cover - you can read the chapters that you feel you need to learn about and skimming over some of the chapters that you are really confident about didn't make me feel like I was missing something. For example, I come from a video editing background and the video editing chapters didn't show me anything new so I skipped past them. I have since gone back and read them to make sure nothing was missed but nothing really was.

An excellent book and a definate must buy for anyone interested in learning to put movies together.

Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting
Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting
by Syd Field
Price: $9.04
154 used & new from $5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitious and Ramblings, May 28, 2007
I bought this book on a recomendation and appeared to be the best on the shelf. Syd Field has a very irritating writing style that is filled with convoluted ramblings and repeats himself quite often. There is a difference between driving a point home and repeating yourself and Syd appears to have used the copy/paste method as every page or so he states the same thing over and over and over again using the same wording. At first it seemed like he was just trying to drive a point home but after reading about 30 pages and having read the same sentance about 40 times it just got frustrating.

With that said, there is some great information in this book but you have to fight through it. The great information may be worth it in the end but really, he needs an editor/publisher that will stand up and tell him that it needs to be fixed.

This really can be a great book and is packed with useful info - but I have docked the rating because you have to force read and deal with near constant repetition.