Profile for Alijazz > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2044

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alijazz RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Master Evernote: The Unofficial Guide to Organizing Your Life with Evernote (Plus 75 Ideas for Getting Started)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide for Evernote beginners., July 20, 2014
Would be good for beginners. A little short of depth for other users. I bought it to learn more about Evernote's sharing, folder monitoring etc. it's not handled in any detail, and actually a bit confusing - lacking, as it has been said by others, examples or info graphics.

Adobe Dreamweaver CC [Digital Membership]
Adobe Dreamweaver CC [Digital Membership]
Price: $19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dislike this new model of "pricing" intensely, June 20, 2014
Until Adobe stop this, I won't return to their products. The upside is I find I like Xara Designer Pro a huge amount, and prefer it to Fireworks and Dreamweaver. Who knew!?

A Just Ask Book Set (JUST ASK)
A Just Ask Book Set (JUST ASK)
by Chris Arvetis
16 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, with exemplary customer service, May 20, 2013
Absolutely charming set of educational mini books about all the interesting questions a child may ask about science. Congratulations, my American cousins. The set arrived in record time, quicker than things I ordered in the uk at the same time. Wonderful service, and much appreciated.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
by William Davis
Price: $16.37
470 used & new from $0.73

1,850 of 1,991 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Read this and save your own life., September 30, 2011
I wasn't lucky enough to have a curious, clever, caring doctor like Dr Davis. My massive intolerance to wheat, you would think obvious from my extreme symptoms, went unrecognised and untreated for fifty years. By that time I had been following medically-prescribed, low-calorie, low- fat diets for most of my life. These were all based on wheat products - wholegrain bread and pasta - and completely and efficiently destroyed my health and my life. I became massively overweight, having been slender and attractive in my youth, and despite starving myself for protracted periods. I could not walk upright because of ataxia. I could barely breathe because of asthma. I could barely see. I couldn't focus my mind, despite previously having been a sharp-witted live broadcaster. I began to feel as if I were being possessed. I cried all day, for no reason. I suspected everyone of intending me harm, and wouldn't go out. I developed nerve damage, and often could not feel my legs or hands. My bloated stomach was so large that once, when I attended a POST-natal appointment, the nurses were asking me when my baby was due! I was so weak that I couldn't hold my newborn baby. In fact I couldn't hold my arms up long enough to wash my hair, and became dependent on carers. I developed tinnitus so loud that it could drown out the noise of overhead aircraft at an airport (and which, sadly, is still with me).

I underwent many painful and pointless investigations, to try to find out what was wrong with me. My surgeons were as ignorant as my GPs. One took my appendix out, because he couldn't think what else to do. During one particularly horrific hospital stay, I remember a young doctor's standing at the foot of my bed, begging me to think what could be wrong with me, because it looked as if I might die. I was suffering from a massive peritonitis-like infection, an infection so bad that they simply sewed me up and said there was nothing more they could do. They didn't dare operate for fear of spreading it about. Imagine how frightening that was, and how heartbroken it made my desperate husband. Nothing made any difference. I was sent home to my fate. I would like to add here that on each occasion I visited either a doctor or hospital, it was either subtly or overtly expressed that I was fat, so therefore had been the architect of my own misfortune. By this time my husband was having to make all my meals, so he knew exactly how little I had been eating, and how "healthy" was my food. It made no difference. The doctors took even less interest in me than before, because they assumed I spent all my days sitting on a sofa eating candy. Like I say - they were no Dr. Davis!

Because we had no other choice, we turned to the internet to try and save my life. We Googled all my symptoms, and quickly began to suspect that this was something to do with autoimmunity. Within about an hour we had found celiac disease, and knew this was it. We spent a week researching, before approaching a doctor. We knew we would need real proof in order to be taken seriously. I went armed with papers from The Lancet, and The New England Journal of Medicine, and research from John Hopkins University. I was determined not to insult their intelligence, even though doctors had done that to me for the whole of my life. At that point I had a blood test, which was positive, followed by a biopsy - again positive. I had found my own disease, and I had saved my own life. The results, from a leading specialist, were met with sarcasm and disbelief. Even in the face of expert medical proof, my doctors could not accept that mere bread had been killing me. That is the crux of the problem today. Doctors have gotten into the way of dispensing pointless drugs, rather than their time and powers of deduction. I commend Dr Davis for wanting to reverse this trend.

For the avoidance of all doubt, here it is. Eating wheat almost killed me. It cost me my appendix, an ovary and one kidney. It cost me my childhood to illness, and more than one lucrative job. I am, thankfully, and only just, living proof that wheat is a devastating poison. The food pyramid is on its head, and Dr Davis is being vilified for pointing this out. I love this book. I admire his courage in spreading the message. He is not alone. He finds himself facing up to the baying, illogical, unscientific wheat growers and food processing companies and wrong-headed doctors as did Robert Atkins in the past, and as does Gary Taubes now. There is a lot of money in wheat, so it's going to be quite a fight to be rid of it. These men come at the subject from slightly different angles, but agree about processed carbs, and the dangers of eating grains. The science backs them up. You have to ignore a great deal of science to conclude that wheat is safe to eat. Look how ill and fat people are becoming. How cynical for governments to be hounding the obese, whilst insisting they eat the cereal poisons which made them fat in the first place. To governments everywhere I ask why do you prefer to break your bank to meet the cost of drugs and healthcare for chronic illnesses, than to revise your outdated views on diet? If you aren't motivated by compassion, which I am sure you would wish to be, then be motivated by the prospect of financial savings, because I suspect, as do many people more knowledgable and well-informed than I, that your savings could be in their billions. Save money. Heed the low carb movement. Heed Dr Davis.

We were all warned about tobacco products when it was realised smoking was dangerous. The government didn't order us to smoke MORE, whilst it investigated. But that's what's happening with wheat. If you read this book, and take on board the message, you will improve your health more than you could ever imagine. I have been left disabled by my intolerance of wheat - my system broke under the stress of so much poison, but even so, the transformation in my health has been miraculous. My neighbour described my recovery, a week after ditching wheat, like my being given anti venom for a snake bite! Don't let yourself become permanently handicapped by your love of toast and sandwiches. They are not worth it - not worth developing paralysis for, as did I, or heart disease or cancer, as do other unfortunate people. I have lost fifty pounds this year, simply by eating gluten and wheat free FRESH food. Eat this way and, as Dr Davis counsels, you can be slender (and healthy) without ever going hungry. Say goodbye to your wheat belly. Forever.
Comment Comments (76) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2014 7:46 PM PDT

All About Steve
All About Steve
DVD ~ Sandra Bullock
Offered by Clyde Parks
Price: $12.87
199 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling comedy, February 5, 2011
This review is from: All About Steve (DVD)
Sandra Bullock is excellent as the beautiful, mystified crossword puzzle writer, who cannot puzzle out anything else about life, or love. Considering some of the other reviews, I was expecting to be disappointed, but my husband and I laughed out loud all the way through at the physical comedy and jokes. It's a very quirky film, in a very good way - satirising pretty much the whole modern world, from the sensation-seeking press to the New Age Movement. As someone with a child with learning disabilities I was very pleased to see Hollywood making such an elegant statement about equality and acceptance via this very original film. My family felt it to be definitely worth the money, and definitely worth our time.

Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...And How You Can Too
Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...And How You Can Too
by Shauna James Ahern
Price: $18.38
126 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A very funny memoir - with great recipes., April 26, 2008
If you like terrifying tomes about the sixty different gut and butt diseases celiac might give you, then this is not the book for you - although I stress that the science and nutritional information in here is well-researched and beautifully explained. In fact, this book isn't about death and disease at all. It's a wonderful book about success, health, love and life in the face of overwhelming illness. Importantly, it's also about the lack-lustre performance of doctors faced with a spirited patient who refuses to go away and die quietly. Someone needed to tackle this. In my own experience, it is this close-mindedness of doctors, this lack of curiosity, this wholly unscientific behavior that condemns millions of people today to remain undiagnosed with a common and serious autoimmune condition.

"Gluten-Free Girl" is an extremely funny and moving autobiography. The early chapters had me howling with laughter, and the later chapters moved me to tears. How many books nowadays are so well-written that they have you laughing and crying - about a disease?! She is hilarious on the subject of her childhood food and the relentless marketing that convinced a whole nation of loving parents to sustain their children - not from the earthy goodness of the soil, but from square, recloseable cardboard boxes.

I like my love stories with jokes. I like my autobiographies with recipes. I like that this book is a mix of everything - it's all good. By the way, if you enjoy the elegantly-written "Gluten-Free Girl", I think you'll also enjoy watching Babette's Feast and reading the splendid books of Betty McDonald, like Egg and I. They are all a feast for the eyes and heart.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2013 10:32 AM PDT

The Arts and Crafts Computer: Using Your Computer as an Artist's Tool
The Arts and Crafts Computer: Using Your Computer as an Artist's Tool
by Janet Ashford
75 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashford's very own Arts and Crafts Movement!, November 7, 2001
I teach and write about digital art and computing, and have to read a lot for my work. Janet Ashford's books always stand out because of the quality of the writing, the beauty of the illustrations, and the crispness of the editing. This author has a wonderful gift - that of making complex ideas simple, and reducing so-called expert tasks to the few steps guaranteed to yield great results for everyone, regardless of skill level.
If you are already using your computer to make art and craft items, you will find real inspiration on every page and soon come to rely on the technical aide memoires within, including the comprehensive lists of art materials and their stockists. If you have never used your computer in this way, or have only dabbled, you'll wonder what's been keeping you. Ashford's selection of crafts is broad, appropriate, and impressive. She'll show you how to make some exceptionally cool things - stationery, candle holders, boxes, gift bags, and enchanting games, among many others. You'll love making them, people will admire them, and others will love to receive them as gifts.
How ironic that the computer, that icon of mass-production, should present such an easy way to achieve individualism in all areas of learning and living. Janet Ashford is fascinating on this subject, too. Her blissful, intelligent chapter on using your computer as a kind of propaganda machine was my personal favourite!
If you buy this book you'll learn how to fill your house with beautiful, unusual objects and decorations. You'll be able to publish your own, uniquely designed, documents - from letters to leaflets. And if you want to, you'll never have to give another mass-produced card or gift ever again.
This is a masterclass in fun and creativity from someone well respected in various artistic fields. The professional tips and tricks alone are well worth the price of the book. Janet Ashford is sharing a lifetime's experience here. I so admire her commitment to empowering the amateur or enthusiast, as well as motivating the tired professional :)
Note: this is a superb companion to her previous, excellent book with John Odham, "Start with a Scan".

NetObjects Fusion MX
NetObjects Fusion MX
3 used & new from $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate web design tool, August 17, 2001
This review is from: NetObjects Fusion MX (CD-ROM)
This is the closest thing to magic that you'll find. Wave a mouse - there's a web site structure. Wave it again, there's a page. The manual says it will take 10 minutes to set up a site. I have managed it in three. The product is so good that I have been with it for three versions, and buy it for all my clients.
Fusion's great strength lies in two main areas - firstly the construction of the site is as simple as ABC. Pages can be copied or moved around at will, and structures altered, and the program recreates all the links and navigation bars on the fly. You don't ever have to worry that stuff will be out of date. Secondly, and very importantly for designers, you can make just a few simple buttons, and the program will *automatically* create unlimited rollover buttons for you. No fuss. No coding. Change your mind about the labels as many times as you want - it all updates instantly and without your having to worry. If all this wasn't enough, NetObjects Fusion supports database connectivity, all the latest e technologies, and writes some of the smallest, cleanest and most cross-browser compatible code in the business.
Don't be fooled by the price - this product gives Dreamweaver a run for its money. All included is a great set of support newsgroups, an online Knowledgebase, and the capability to extend the functionality in a kazillion ways, using third party components (yes! like Dreamweaver extensions do!) It's worth many times the price on the box. If you are a small or medium sized business, or a professional designer, you need this product. It makes web design totally pleasurable.

Quest for Fire [VHS]
Quest for Fire [VHS]
VHS
Offered by kerwins's-vtg-finds
Price: $11.67
19 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent on every level, June 28, 2001
This review is from: Quest for Fire [VHS] (VHS Tape)
A film with no words that's informative, thought-provoking, hilarious and completely original? This simple story of man's early attempts at living in societies, using language, and his yearnings for a few home comforts stays in your heart and mind forever. When you see the credits scroll by at the end, you'll see the film has an excellent pedigree. Wonderful entertainment.

Taking Your Talent to the Web: A Guide for the Transitioning Designer
Taking Your Talent to the Web: A Guide for the Transitioning Designer
by Jeffrey Zeldman
69 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Common sense, in an uncommonly good read, June 28, 2001
Jeffrey Zeldman fascinates me. Why should such a very individual individual drive so hard for global standards? Well, because he's smart, and he's experienced and he, like the rest of us, long since decided that the efforts involved in attainting "compatibility" are broadly incompatible with a happy life and rewarding career. Such an assault on productivity.
I loved this book because everything you need get started on the web STYLISHLY is in here - easy to find and all in one place. As well as being a vital resource for the new web designer, this book would be invaluable to anyone with an existing web site that is failing to perform to its best ability. And even if you think your site is the bee's knees, take a few tips from Zeldman anyway, and treat yourself to a few thousand extra customers.
This man is not afraid to think differently. If you read a lot of academic info on interface design and usability, you'll find Zeldman a refreshing change - a heavyweight thinker with a light touch.
Well worth the investment.

Page: 1 | 2