Profile for J. Brooks > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 423

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Brooks RSS Feed (Nampa, Idaho United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rockwell RK7323 Blade Runner X2 Portable Tabletop Saw
Rockwell RK7323 Blade Runner X2 Portable Tabletop Saw
Price: $119.00
3 used & new from $119.00

4.0 out of 5 stars It slices, it dices, it makes saw dust!, October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Being a handyman who has made, built, and fixed hundreds of items around the house, the Rockwell Blade Runner X2 had me intrigued simply for the the number of tasks it says it can accomplish. I've had other similar multi task tools which tend to fall flat... so I'm giving the Blade Runner X2 a chance.

First impressions, a LOT of plastic. When it comes to tools I prefer not to see plastic as the bulk of the machine/tool. I understand why with the Blade Runner X2 they used plastic, to decrease the weight to make it more portable, but they could have used an aluminum top with a plastic base. The plus side is that the core area of the insert is made of metal. Since this area will be seeing the bulk of the work, I'm glad they made it metal.

The table, while plastic, is fairly straight and level. The large molded handle is nice and comfortable and easy to grab onto. The table has both a slot for the miter gauge and fence.

The fence is easy to use, take off, and store. The built in storage area on the back of the machine keeps the fence out of the way when not in use and right at your fingertips when you need it. Setting the fence up is straight forward with the built in ruler/guide molded into the table top. Just a few quick measurements with a tape measure or square helps you line the fence up with the blade.

The included miter gauge is cheap but functional. My complaint with it is the amount of slop there is. When inserted into the table slot, you can wiggle the gauge back and forth quite a bit which allows for inaccurate miter cuts as much as 1/8 of an inch. It's not a precision tool... that's for sure.

Installing a blade is simple and easy. The auto eject of the blade is nice, especially if the blade has been used and is still hot.

The large toggle on/off switch is nice, definitely not going to fumble around trying to switch it off if something goes wrong or if you need to kill it in a hurry.

Now for actually using it. First up was ripping some 12mm plywood. I put in a fine toothed blade, setup the fence to rip @ 2" wide, flipped it on and went at it! It did a pretty good job. The cut was straight with no bevel (meaning the relationship between the table and the blade were straight and not out of whack).

Cross cutting went smooth as well with minimal tearout. Again test was done with 12mm plywood with a fine tooth blade.

Using it as a scroll saw... not that great. I have a Delta scroll saw and by comparison, the Blade Runner X2 doesn't even come close. Since the Blade Runner X2 uses T shank jig saw blades, which have a much wider footprint and are stiffer than your typical scroll blade, making intricate cuts with it is a no go. Curved designs and cuts can still be made but are limited in comparison to an actual scroll saw.

Now for some nit-picky flaws I found with the Blade Runner X2. They obviously designed it for portability and forgot one HUGE thing... cord storage. There is no built in storage area to wrap the cord. The cord does not have a molded clip to hold the cord in place once wrapped. You are left with using a twist tie or other cord wrap/holder.

The Blade Runner X2 is also not the quietest tool in the shop either. The fairly powerful 5.5 amp saw measured 96 decibels running with no load and 100+ when cutting wood, hearing protection is a must.

For a weekend warrior/DIYer, this is a great cut all multi-tool and for the price, it packs a quality punch.

Lenovo Flex 2 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (59418262) Black
Lenovo Flex 2 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (59418262) Black
Price: $668.96
24 used & new from $499.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Functionality over anything else!, October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First impressions upon opening the box, substantial. Quality materials are used in the construction of the device and the finish seems to be fairly fingerprint resistant. Durability wont be known until later down the road, so I'll try to update this after a month or two. The glass on the display seems to be very prone visible fingerprints and smudges compared to other touch devices we have. So more frequent cleaning of the screen seems to be required.

The screen size is nice and large and the touch sensors seem to be a bit less sensitive than my VAIO ultrabook. This makes tapping and touching things a bit easier for me as I have large hands and tend to click on a ton of other things by accident. So using the Lenovo Flex 2 for me is easier and less frustrating. 4 out of 5.

The display itself seems to be a bit 'off' in terms of colors. I switch between several different PCs and Macs for work and personal use and the Lenovo Flex 2's colors aren't as rich, vibrant, or accurate. In addition, text and some graphics seems to be more pixelated and blurry. I'm not entirely sure if it's the display itself, bad drivers, or the graphics processor. In the end, I find it is not the best for doing anything that is heavy on graphics. 3 out of 5.

This brings be to the audio. I found the placement of the speakers quite perplexing. In laptop mode the speakers are located in the front UNDER the keyboard firing downward into your lap. This does a great job muffling the audio and drastically reducing the overall quality and clarity. However if you flip the Flex 2 around and have it in stand mode, the speakers are now towards the back end of the stand firing upward. While this increased the clarity of the audio it also highlights the fact that the speakers they put into the Flex 2 are NOT good at all. They are extremely tinny and hollow. Anything with bass or mids seem to get really muddy and just sound awful. Compared to my three year old Toshiba and newer VAIO, the Flex 2 might as well not have speakers. Use of headphones or an external audio device HIGHLY recommended. 1 out of 5.

Initial setup was easy and straight forward. Once I synced it up with my Win 8 account, I was up and running. The one thing I did not like was the bloatwear. Lenovo seems to have packed it with quite a bit and I have been slowly removing it.

Battery life seems to be fair to good. Upon first using it, I drained it to 50% in just two hours of extensive use. Once I began using it to surf the web, tinkering, and just messing around like a 'normal' person, the battery only drained an additional 10%-15% over the course of two more hours. So Lenovo's "up to 7 hours battery" is certainly obtainable with the correct power settings used.

Overall, the Flex 2 is a wonderful combination laptop/touchscreen. It's extremely functional and versatile no matter how you decide to use it.

Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Fortress Attack
Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Fortress Attack
Price: $24.99
7 used & new from $19.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks totally awesome, plays well with the gunboat!!, October 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Combined with the Mega Bloks AC Gunboat Takeover (HIGHLY recommended), this makes for an awesome set.

Build time, depending on the age(s) of your kid(s), ranges from between an hour to hour and a half. This allowed for quite a bit of messing around and playing with the mini action figures as the build took place. This felt about right for time spent putting it together, long enough to be challenging, but not too long that they didn't become board with putting it together.

The look and feel of the bricks, in my opinion, are better than Lego. They look better and the cobblestone bricks have both texture and color, not just a solid gray.

I've been a fan of Legos for nearly my entire life, but with these newer Mega Blok kits featuring AC, Halo, CoD, and others, Mega Bloks have definitely converted me. Legos have their place but I'm starting to prefer Mega Bloks.

Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Gunboat Takeover
Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Gunboat Takeover
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful piece of Bloky goodness!, October 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Love it love it love it!

We found this kit a bit on the easy side (have yet to find a Mega Bloks kit that was challenging).
The 600 or so pieces allowed for a fair amount of build time without frustration for the younger kids. Like others have said, 8-9 year olds may or may not have difficulty with it.

The detail is much better than expected and better than other kits (CoD and Halo to be exact).

The mini action figures are what makes the Mega Bloks kits worth every penny. The detail and customization with this AC kit is higher than the others and the fact that they come with more accessories and pieces you can add/swap out.

As a collector, a fan of AC, or just someone looking for something different, this is an enjoyable kit to build and look at. And if you have kids... yes they will want to take this boat to the pool, bathtub, and/or sink to play with it.

Mega Bloks Call of Duty Mob Of The Dead
Mega Bloks Call of Duty Mob Of The Dead
Price: $25.49
19 used & new from $25.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Need more zombies!!!!, October 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've always been a fan of Legos and really didn't get into Mega Bloks. However with this recent addition of COD, Halo, Assassins Creed, WoW, and even Hello Kitty sets, these intrigued me quite a bit more than before.

The mini action figures are extremely detailed which was impressive. What you see on the box is what you get! I only wish they sold packs of extra zombies so I we can have a nice sized horde... I guess I'll just have to expand with the other playsets. :)

Building the cell block was fun and fairly straight forward. No weird or odd fitting bloks. Not really challenging or anything like that. Younger kids may find it more difficult, but each kid is different.

Once built this offers a TON of replay value. It's nice to see kids sit down and use their imagination with this instead of playing a video game of the same subject matter.

Age wise, they say 12+, I'd say that's a bit high as it's not really gruesome or disturbing. 10+ makes more sense, but I think most 7-8 year olds would have fun with this... just use your best judgement as a parent or grandparent.

Hamilton Healthcare 80% HCA Garcinia Cambogia Weight Loss Supplement Capsule, 90 Count
Price: $21.64
2 used & new from $19.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money..., October 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Chalk another one up for the marketers of this and other Garcinia products.

This is the third Garcinia product that I have used and the third where I have experienced ZERO results (except for the weight I lost from the $$$ out of my wallet purchasing said products).

Following the directions, I consumed two capsules 30 minutes before each meal. I even bumped it up to three capsules before each meal due to my size, and still nothing. I felt the same. Ate the same. Didn't feel fuller longer, or anything like that.

The ONLY reason I gave it two stars instead of one is that I did not have any side effects, so no harm no foul.

If you want to lose weight, cut out some calories and do a bit more exercise. THAT works. :)

Benson Mills Victorian Round Placemats, Black, Set of 4
Benson Mills Victorian Round Placemats, Black, Set of 4
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Liquids seep right through... but I still like them!, October 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm actually quite pleased with these Benson Mills placemats.

For all my life I have owned and used an oval shaped mat, so it felt a bit out of place using these round ones..

The look of these is nice and gives our dinning room a bit more style without being over the top or off-putting. With them being black, they provide great contrast with our white tablecloth.

Because of how they are made and the material they are made from, they aren't absorbent and actually have quite a few pinholes in them. So if you spill or have someone who spills liquids frequently, these are definitely not for you as the liquids seep right though them.

For the price and quality, I'm pleased and would highly recommend them.

DeLonghi TRD40615E High Performance Radiant Heater
DeLonghi TRD40615E High Performance Radiant Heater
Offered by Blessed Living _ BRAND NEW - FAST SHIPPING _ This item cannot be shipped to Alaska - Hawaii - Puerto Rico - PO Box and OUTSIDE of USA
Price: $197.98
3 used & new from $142.66

5.0 out of 5 stars The KING of radiators!, September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This DeLonghi TRD40615E radiator is beyond amazing!

The easy to use and understand front panel is just perfect. The digital readout is easy to see and read at any angle. The display is even dim-able with three light levels. This is really nice if you sleep in the same room as the heater and don't want it to illuminate the entire room with it's display. The panel is also made so that it is nice and flush with no knobs or stupid protruding buttons to knock off or break. A very solid design and feel to it.

Setting the temperature is simple and straight forward. Set your desired temp, adjust your output level (low, medium, and high settings), and you're good to go. On top of all this, there is even an ECO setting which kinda cycles on and off to conserve energy all while maintaining a good temp. It seems to work quite well for us so we just leave it on ECO.

The new design is definitely better as it heats the room much more evenly. It seems to pull the cooler air from the bottom fins through convection and emits it from the top all while keeping the sides 'cooler to the touch' (even though it is still quite warm at times).

Zero complaints in terms of performance, style, design, or functionality. Truly a top performer and an amazing buy!

Fisher-Price Loving Family Dollhouse
Fisher-Price Loving Family Dollhouse
Price: $59.49
8 used & new from $59.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice updated version from the older version!, September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Fisher-Price loving family dollhouse is somewhat of a through-back for me as I remember it back in the 90s.

It's nice to see that it's been updated quite a lot since I last remember them. The figures are bit more realistic looking and WAY more articulated (the ones I remember looked super cartoony and didn't bend all that much).

Everything stores nicely in the house to keep the clutter of tiny Loving Family bits and pieces to a minimum, though the house does take up a bit of real estate.

Now you will end up having to spend a good $50+ for some accessories to furnish this desolate house with a bedroom, living room, and bathroom set. So think about that prior to purchasing.

It seems to hold the kid's attention well enough. And only time will tell how durable it is.

Overall, I and the kids like it. Plenty of replay.

Laura Ashley Flannel Sheet Set, Audrey Pink, Queen
Laura Ashley Flannel Sheet Set, Audrey Pink, Queen
Price: $64.70
4 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They fit our 16" thick mattress!, September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have a quite a thick pillowtop queen size mattress that measures a solid 15"-16" deep. Due to it's size it has been somewhat difficult to get sheets to fit. To my surprise these fit!

They look exactly as the pictures stated, not the least bit different.

They are amazingly soft and keep the lady of the house plenty warm.

Zero complaints and hope they hold up for a while so we can enjoy them!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20