Profile for J. Brooks > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 512

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Brooks RSS Feed (Nampa, Idaho United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dickies Men's Long Sleeve Blended Basic Coverall, Dark Navy, X-Large/Tall
Dickies Men's Long Sleeve Blended Basic Coverall, Dark Navy, X-Large/Tall
Price: $31.06
19 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit tight in the crotch, but not bad!, July 31, 2015
I wear a 2XL to a XLT depending on the maker of the clothing due to my height. Often the 2XL is just to 'blousy' and doesn't quite fit right.
I opted for the XL tall version of these coveralls and they fit about right.

The arms are a bit short when I fully reach out, but that's fine.
The legs are the right length, however the crotch room is a bit tight. I think they still need to get a bit more length in the torso area to accommodate things a bit better.

Overall I'm pleased.

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools BLT21K-CP BladeLight Camp LED Fixed Knife with Straight Edge 4.5-Inch Steel Blade and Hard Nylon Sheath, Satin Finish
Price: Click here to see our price
58 used & new from $49.32

3.0 out of 5 stars I hate the handle!, July 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unfortunately this is one SOG knife that I am not a fan of.

The blade itself is good. The 8Cr13MoV is easy to sharpen and holds a edge well enough not to require constant resharpening. The recurve blade is nice for plunge cuts as well as slicing, glad to see them use this style instead of a clip or drop point.

The real issue for me is the handle. They say it's 'ergonomically contoured'... I find it just clumsily designed and too small to fit comfortably in my hands. The only saving grave is that it has a rubberized grip that makes it easier to hold onto.

As for the LED lights, they work great! Long running (I left them on and they ran for about 2 hours straight on the single AAA battery). I think they could have slightly increased the length of the handle to allow a second AAA battery for increased run time, but still 2 hours is plenty long. The battery cap also has a O ring to reduce the likelihood of any water get it's way to the battery... a small but important detail!

The GRN sheath works well. Easy to use and holds the blade securely. The built in sharpener works (not the best, but can't be too picky about a built it sharpener!). And the fact that it has cutouts for where the LEDs are located allows you to use the lights WITHOUT unsheathing it, making it a fairly safe and impromptu flashlight if need be.

Cellucor Nitric Oxide Pump Amplifier with Arginine Nitrate, 90 Count
Cellucor Nitric Oxide Pump Amplifier with Arginine Nitrate, 90 Count
Offered by US Nutrition
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $49.99

2.0 out of 5 stars No effect on me..., July 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Hate to say it, but Cellucor Nitric Oxide just isn't cutting it.
Maybe it's me or something but this has had zero effect on me. No additional pump or anything.

Plus side is that I had no side effects from taking it.

So it looks like I'll be sticking with the cheaper, EFFECTIVE, GAT Nitraflex tablets.

Sentinel FM120P 12-Sheet High Security Micro-Cut Paper/CD/Credit Card Shredder with Pullout Basket, Black
Price: $119.99
6 used & new from $107.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sinfully fun shredding with this machine!, July 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This machine is what I would consider overkill for the normal consumer/user. In an office setting or larger business, then I could see this being more at home. However you decide to use it, I think you'll enjoy it more than you should.

So far I have fed a few hundred sheets of material through it without error. Even some fairly thick cardboard material wasn't an issue for it. The end result is pure confetti.

Compared to the other shredders I have owned, this one is by far the quietest (beats out both Fellows as well as an Amazon Basics shredder).

The reason for the one star deduction is the basket. I'm not a fan of the pull out style basket as it tends to accumulate paper debris in a few areas and as you pull it out for emptying (or just to check the fullness of the basket) it dumps and spreads the paper bits all over the floor, leaving you a mess to pick up. I prefer just a standard basket that the shredder just sits on top.

One should not enjoy feeding material in a shredder as much as this, but its just too much fun!

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F041TN-CP Throwing Knives, Black, 3-Pack
SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F041TN-CP Throwing Knives, Black, 3-Pack
Offered by RPM Solutions
Price: $39.07
37 used & new from $33.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Throw two of them, use the third one for stabbing!, July 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are a great set of throwing knives.

Each knife is within a few grams of each other (150 - 154 grams) for very consistent and predictable throwing. With the paracord removed from the handles, they seem to be a bit more balanced and to my liking.

The description says they are 420 stainless with glass reinforced nylon handles, which is incorrect. They are solid pieces of 420 stainless with paracord wrapped handles, no glass reinforced nylon handles here.

The sheath is ok. Great for keeping them together, but once you remove one knife the other two still in the sheath become fairly loose and want to fall out.

They are holding up fairly well being tossed around with only minor dings here and there.
I'm not a huge fan of throwing knives, but hey you have three of them... so feel free to toss two. :)

V-LIGHT LED Energy-Efficient Desk Lamp with USB Charging Port and Smart-Device Holder (VSLC003USN)
Price: $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light, not too sure about the power supply..., July 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First impressions of this desk lamp, awesome! The look and design is great. The added slot to hold devices works great, almost like a little charging station.

The lamp comes with what I could consider warm LED lights (around 3000k). I'm not a fan as it gives everything a icky yellow hue. I will probably swap them out for bright white or coll white LEDs.

The included powered USB port is nice for charging literally anything.

Now the reason for me docking the lamp two stars is because of the power supply/connector. On my lamp the plug fits extremely loose, pulls out frequently, and the slightest bump of the table OR lamp makes the light flicker. So this is a quality control issue I believe.

Overall it's a well designed light, just kind of an iffy power supply/connector (or I was lucky enough to get the only one of the bunch that has this issue).

Marcy SB-10510 Flat Bench
Marcy SB-10510 Flat Bench
Price: $119.99
3 used & new from $101.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much wider than other benches and SUPER stable!, July 8, 2015
This review is from: Marcy SB-10510 Flat Bench (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Really can't say much about this flat bench other that it works great!

Assembly was straight forward, very few parts, zero complications.

The bench itself is nice and wide which is nice. When doing flys and presses on it, the bench is extremely stable and solid as a rock.
The bench is also very well cushioned and comfortable on the back and knees.

This flat bench is well worth the price tag over other similar benches due to it's stability and thick cushioning.

KitchenAid KKFTR7SKWM Professional Series 7" Santoku Knife, Ebony Black
KitchenAid KKFTR7SKWM Professional Series 7" Santoku Knife, Ebony Black
Price: $119.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A knife that can do almost every task adequately..., July 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not entirely sure what use this knife has in the kitchen as it just seems to do an adequate job on most things but not excel at any one task.

The full tang handle is nice and gives the knife a well balanced feel in the hand. However I have an issue with the bolster/finger guard is too short for me. Because of this, due to my fairly large hands/fingers, when I am chopping or rocking the blade back and forth, my knuckles smash into the countertop a lot. So if you have large hands and do quite a bit of chopping, you will have to pinch grip the knife more often than not.

I THOUGHT this knife would do well with onions, but it does just a fair job. The hollow edge doesn't work that well and the onion wanted to stay stuck on the knife. Firmer veggies, such as celery, carrots, etc. cut better but still not great.

The biggest issue I have with this knife is it's inability to maintain a sharp edge. The 1.4116 stainless is great for overall resistance to staining but it doesn't seem maintain any sort of quality edge. On top of that when sharpening the knife seems to have a lot of burring.

Again, this knife seems to do okay on most kitchen duties, but doesn't quite do any of them perfectly. A jack of all, master of none sort of knife...

Cuisinart SPB-650 1 HP Blender
Cuisinart SPB-650 1 HP Blender
Price: $96.31
13 used & new from $93.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Will it blend, of course it will!, July 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This 1HP Cuisinart blender is replacing our older and much loved Oster blender... should have done it sooner!

The power of this blender is far superior. Crushing ice and making my usual recipes take maybe half the time (if that). The blender jar and blades are positioned in a way that requires very little scraping of the jar to incorporate everything. So crushing our strawberry jam will be so much faster and easier.

Choosing low to high speed (as well as pulse) works flawlessly. Cleanup is also easier. The blades are positioned far enough away from the inside of the jar you can fit a spatula WITHOUT cutting it to shreds getting everything out.

The only reason I would dock it a star is the noise level, it is quite loud compared to our older blender. But since it only needs to be ran for half the time, it's well worth dealing with the noise.

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools SK1001-CP Survival Hawk, Tactical Tomahawk, Black
SOG Specialty Knives & Tools SK1001-CP Survival Hawk, Tactical Tomahawk, Black
Offered by RPM Solutions
Price: $45.07
48 used & new from $44.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A well designed tool meant to be used and abused!, June 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Another functional tool from SOG!

Whether you're camping, hiking, or just out and about playing survivalist, this is quite a handy hatchet/tomahawk to have!

The overall length of just about 12" is perfect for on the hip packing or fits nicely in most sacks.
The weight of the hawk is a bit light for my liking, I prefer the slightly heavier ones to provide a bit more of a 'blow' when chopping. But for extended use this being just a little over a pound in weight is fine.

The nail extractor is useful in the sense of you wont know you need it until you don't have it. Included firestarter in the handle is always a plus as you won't have to remember to haul one with you.
Paracord wrapped handle is nice and somewhat cushioning (as apposed to just the GRN handle) and you never know when you might need some cord.

The really spectacular bit about this hawk is the blade. Really sharp, stays sharp, easy to put an edge right back on it. LOVE IT.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20