Profile for MysteryBuff > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MysteryBuff RSS Feed

Game, Set, Murder: Kat Everitt Handwriting Analysis Mystery
Game, Set, Murder: Kat Everitt Handwriting Analysis Mystery
by Judith Mehl
Price: $7.19
6 used & new from $1.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, November 28, 2012
Kat Everitt, my favorite academic/shoe fetishist, returns in this triumphant second title in Mehl's handwriting analysis mysteries. When tournament manager Ed Ambrose turns up dead on the eve of a major tennis competition at Mountain View University, Kat can't help but become intrigued. Despite Detective Burrows' admonition to keep out of it, Kat and her colleague Maddy dive right into the investigation. They soon discover that Ambrose had "more enemies than a skunk in the parlor," and they set out to whittle down the leads. After suspects are persuaded to jot down their thoughts about Ambrose's death, Kat and Maddy work together to sort them out. While handwriting analysis is an inexact science, to be sure, their findings are enough to get Kat cornered by the killer in a climactic finish. A real page-turner!

Elsewhere: A memoir
Elsewhere: A memoir
by Richard Russo
Price: $18.99
187 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassing obsession with mom, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Elsewhere: A memoir (Hardcover)
I have enjoyed and admired Russo's work for so long that it's difficult for me to believe he is asking his fans to pay good money to slog through this self-involved wallow. His endless, rambling dissertation about his dysfunctional mother belongs in a therapist's office, not between the covers of a book for public consumption. Save yourself from this monumental disappointment and hope, as I do, that Russo returns to writing the wry, insightful fiction that made him one of the truly greats.

Goldberg Variations: A Novel
Goldberg Variations: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $10.38

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably tedious ..., October 21, 2012
I remember Isaacs classics such as Compromising Positions and After All These Years with such enormous pleasure, it's difficult for me to write a negative review of this title, but at this price, others must be spared! If you're into the endless poring over of negative feelings and motivations among family members, go for it. Otherwise, give it a pass. Nothing -- and I mean NOTHING -- happens here except conversations. Granny talks to three grown grandchildren about the possibility of inheriting her successful business. They talk among themselves about why they probably don't want it. Granny talks to one grandchild, who then talks to her cousin, who then talks to her brother. You get the picture. After suffering through 50% of this, I clicked to the end to see if anything there surprised me. It didn't. Who is this author, and what has she done with Susan Isaacs??

Maid of Murder (An India Hayes Mystery Book 1)
Maid of Murder (An India Hayes Mystery Book 1)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars This author deserves better editing and formatting, September 19, 2012
I enjoy discovering a talented new mystery author, and I believe Amanda shows a lot of promise ... but I returned this book to Amazon in frustration after wading through a dozen very badly edited and formatted chapters. The missing punctuation, typos, wildly inconsistent formatting and so on simply became too annoying. Also, I don't care for characters that live like slobs and are overbearing and intrusive. Couldn't somebody clean up his/her apartment just once in a while?? I applaud those who are caring in their treatment of animals, but a couple of judiciously applied sticky rollers would improve the overall ambience enormously. Please keep writing, Amanda, and get yourself a MUCH better editor.

After All These Years: Novel, A
After All These Years: Novel, A
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, bad editing, July 16, 2012
I first read this book in paperback many years ago and was delighted to find it available for the Kindle, now that I have one. What fun to revisit an old favorite, even for the rather pricey $9.99 the publisher asks for the e-book. I enjoyed protagonist Rosie and her pals enormously once again, but come on now: If you're asking that kind of money in today's market for an e-book, don't we deserve something better than incessant typos and other, more serious errors? Here's just one example: While on the lam, Rosie pays a call on an reclusive computer geek in his loft. One minute he's fidgeting from one bare foot to the other. Two pages later, not having changed position, he leans over to play with the aglet on the end of his shoelace. Hello?! If I'm going to be overcharged--and for an older title in today's glutted market, I think $9.99 for an e-book constitutes overcharging--then I don't expect to be continually annoyed by sloppiness and inconsistencies.

Christmas Eve Can Kill You
Christmas Eve Can Kill You
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Christmas Caper, March 13, 2011
What a disappointment! Looking for a tale that has drama, mystery, and humor, I took a chance on an author new to me. Drama? Not. Mystery? Well, if you can call an incredible number of incomprehensible twists and turns "mystery," I guess it qualifies. As for humor, the author needs a refresher course in witty (as opposed to precious and affected) dialogue. Then there are the interminable flashbacks, ho hum. My advice is, buy yourself a different Christmas present and take a pass on this one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2013 11:52 AM PDT