Profile for Keith F. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Keith F. RSS Feed (Chambersburg, PA)

Hagen 70720 Le Salon Signature Dog Nail Clipper with Light
Hagen 70720 Le Salon Signature Dog Nail Clipper with Light

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating Junk, January 16, 2012
Immediately after opening the package we noticed the clippers made a loud clicking noise after depressing the handle. This did not seem normal. The blade would not extend the whole way past the opening, making nail cutting impossible. After some examination, determined that the blade was not attached to a small hook inside the mechanism presumably required for operation, and could be completely removed from the mechanism because of it (very sharp). The hook was at such an angle that I could not get it back onto the notch in the blade. This is after zero uses - it came out of the package like that. My wife had already put 2 AAA batteries in the handle for the light, but when I went to return it, removing the second battery buried way down into the handle was nearly impossible. We owned this clipper for about 20 minutes and I've never had such a frustrating experience with a consumer product in such a short period. Avoid.

GROSCHE Glassen hand made double walled glass insulated travel coffee mug, BLACK, 350 ml (12 fl oz)
Offered by Rizpresso
Price: $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a mug, it's glass - what else do you need?, November 8, 2011
I got this mug because I wanted something simple and easy to clean for use at work, typically while sitting at my desk. I do not use this as a travel mug. So far, it has been great. It really is easy to clean - I was a little concerned about the rubber top and keeping it free from dust and stains, but that has not been an issue. I can quickly and easily rinse and clean it in the sink and have it ready to go another day. The lid is soft and easier to sip than the hard plastic tops on most travel mugs.

The glass probably doesn't keep the coffee as hot as ceramic or stainless steel, but it only holds about a cup's worth of coffee and I drink it long before getting cold is an issue. I feel like it's a little too full when filled to capacity, but it's the perfect amount for a Keurig "regular" size coffee setting. The rubber grip around the outside is simple and easy to hold.

It's a huge improvement over the disposable cups I was using before.

Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer, Graphite color
Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer, Graphite color
Price: $24.99
21 used & new from $21.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Probe is Improved, October 17, 2009
A common problem with previous Polder thermometers I have owned is that if you get the bare, metal probe cord wet, water can get into the probe itself and ruin it by throwing off the temperature readings. I have thrown away several probes because of this, especially since I use these thermometers for beer making.

Some reviewers complained that the cord was rubber and not metal like in the picture, when in fact this is a HUGE improvement over the old probes and that it appears to still be the metal, braided cable only it's now covered in the watertight rubber seal. Us home brewers used to go to great lengths to try and waterproof these cables ourselves. Thankfully now Polder has done it for us.

I can assure you that the temperature reads accurately since I used it in conjunction with a candy thermometer the first couple times I used it. The alarm and timer functions are invaluable. The pan clip is what prompted me to get this in the first place; the watertight probe was just a pleasant surprise.

Although you cannot technically turn it off, the amount of power this thing uses from a single AAA battery (included) is negligible and single AAA batteries are not going to break the bank. Overall, this is the best Polder thermometer I have owned yet, mainly thanks to its new watertight probe cable. Thanks Polder.
Comment Comments (28) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 1:58 PM PDT

Stanley 33-716 16-Foot-by-1-1/4-Inch FatMax Tape Rule with Blade Armor
Stanley 33-716 16-Foot-by-1-1/4-Inch FatMax Tape Rule with Blade Armor
Price: Click here to see our price
45 used & new from $11.69

4.0 out of 5 stars "The Best" Tape Measure; but pretty big, June 5, 2009
This tape measure is great; it seems nice and durable, with a wide tape that lets you run it out much farther than inferior tape measures. The housing itself is a little clunky; it's not particularly convenient to carry around, but that should be obvious with a 1 1/4 inch tape.

If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gotten a cheaper tape measure at the 16 foot length, and invested in the FatMax for a 25 footer.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I replaced my alarm clock with this thing..., June 5, 2009
What's the deal, it's just a little plastic thing that holds your phone upright, right? Wrong! I have an alarm clock next to my bed, but lately I've been using my Blackberry Bold's alarm instead. It's way easier to set and I can have it play anything from an alarm, to ring tones to my favorite MP3's. But I kept the alarm clock so I could actually see what time it was in the morning.

Enter this stand; it holds the Bold upright and I have it set to enter "bedside mode" automatically. It charges, the light dims, and I can clearly see the time. When my alarm goes off, setting the snooze is a little bit harder and that helps me wake up.

My big, clunky alarm clock is now in the trash. Now I'm thinking of buying a second one for my desk at work...

simplehuman Step Trash Cans, Rectangular, Plastic, 10-1/2 Gallons
simplehuman Step Trash Cans, Rectangular, Plastic, 10-1/2 Gallons

5.0 out of 5 stars It Matters: The Perfect Trashcan (and game!), June 5, 2009
For years I used a plain, little, open top kitchen garbage can that was tucked behind a cupboard. Why was I doing that!? I decided to consider what I needed in a trash can... because it does matter. I wanted the kitchen garbage to be out in the open and easily accessible to everyone. Isn't it annoying when you're at someone's house, holding a handful of trash, and you have to go snooping all over for the trash receptacle? I wanted to be able to move it around for when I'm cooking or producing trash in the kitchen, I could easily discard it. And I had to have a lid because no one wants to be smelling what's in there.

I actually researched my trash can, and I got this one. Pricey, sure, but not so much as those "fancy-pants" all-stainless models that are clunky, heavy and have lids that slam against the wall when you open them and back down when you take your foot off the pedal. This trashcan is fantastic.

It's the perfect width to hold a standard kitchen trash bag completely open without it slinking back into the can when you start tossing a couple heavy items in. The lid opens effortlessly from the foot pedal and the mechanism seems simple enough that it will last. One of the best features is that the lid doesn't slam shut when you take your foot off the pedal; it is gently lowered back into place. I like to try to race the lid and get all the trash I have into the can before it closes. This trashcan doubles as a game!

Honestly, you can't go wrong. And even though it's pretty much the same price on Amazon as it is in your neighborhood Bed, Bath & Beyond, it's still worth it.

Targus AWE01US Notebook ChillHub
Targus AWE01US Notebook ChillHub
Offered by Galactics
Price: $13.99
15 used & new from $4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Works; but very LOUD and may not last..., December 11, 2008
This chill pad works as advertised. I used it for months on a laptop running Windows Vista when it had no business running Windows Vista. It would overheat and shutdown constantly. When I starting using this chill pad, my overheating issues ended. And as such, the product works as advertised.

I really like that this works as a USB hub, however it may not justify the increase in price. The PA248U model (without the hub capability) is powered by the laptop's USB connection and this model requires an AC adapter (the big, plug/brick kind that eats three spots on your power strip). It may be cheaper to buy that model and a separate USB hub.

This thing is LOUD. And I mean very, very loud. If you're in any way concerned about a noisy solution to your laptop's heating problems, this is the wrong place. The fans in this thing are like an F-16 taking off from an aircraft carrier. I lived with it for a while because I'd just throw on some headphones while I worked, but if you're concerned about noise, that should probably deter you from this.

I rarely turned mine off; I'd even just let it run even when my laptop wasn't on it even though there is an on/off switch. Perhaps because of this, after about 6 months of use the fans started to sound like they were hitting the top of the pad in their housing. This made an unbearable noise and I'd have to stick my fingers in there to make the fans stop and hope they'd line up so it wouldn't make that plastic-on-plastic whacking sound over and over.

If you're just looking for a quick and easy cooling solution, this product works although I would probably recommend the PA248U model for it's lower price and USB-powered capability at the expense of the USB hub. If you're concerned about noise, you might want to look into one of the aluminum fanless models.

Note: This pad will not work properly if used with a laptop this is connected to a conventional docking station that raises it off the desk.

Blackberry Swivel Holster for Blackberry 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330 (Pitch Black)
Blackberry Swivel Holster for Blackberry 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330 (Pitch Black)
Offered by CCMACCESSORIES
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Clip Broke Within Week, June 19, 2008
This is probably the cheapest option for storing your blackberry clipped to your belt; I would sooner keep it in my pocket but don't have the room since I carry a separate cell phone. The case itself is pretty nice, and the magnetic clip holds well enough, but the clip is very cheap.

Mine broke within a week just from carrying my laptop bag. If I walked briskly or went up/down stairs, the bag would swing into the holder. It wasn't even noticeable until the clip gave in and broke off, about five days after purchase.

I think that having a swivel-style clip was the trade off for a durable product. I would recommend a better solution if you're like me and need to keep your BB out of your pocket.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse feeder... awful trap, December 3, 2007
I have been using this product for about a week; have not caught a single mouse.

I have tried everything just to get this trap to work. I even got suckered into buying that mouse attractant gel this company sells. They eat it; but it doesn't set off the trap. I've tried peanut butter, cheese, bread, whatever; the mice eat it and the trap stays set. I've pushed this stuff as far back into this trap as possible and the mice still don't set it off.

Do yourself a favor; save some money and go with the classic Victor trap.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2014 6:43 PM PDT

Skagen Men's Titanium Mesh Band Watch #530LTMB
Skagen Men's Titanium Mesh Band Watch #530LTMB

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks cheap, August 15, 2005
I got this Skagen online thinking that it looked like a nice, expensive watch as a reasonable price (as the reviews also pointed out). I was disappointed after receiving the watch however, as the mesh band looks like a cheap nylon band, even relatively close up. Although I like the idea of a smaller watch, the face looked very small on my wrist especially with the wide mesh band. I returned this watch for a refund and learned that you have to try before you buy.