Profile for AmazonCustomerSinceAmazonSoldOnlyBooks > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 163

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AmazonCustomerSinceAmazonSoldOnlyBooks RSS Feed (Southern CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance LIT Mini Jumpin' Stix Duck Formula with Glucosamine and Chondroitin Semi-Moist Dog Treat
Price: $11.70
7 used & new from $5.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Natural ingredients and good flavor (well, smell...I didn't taste them). Got the two paws up from my beagle and pit bull., September 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are a nice size to handle for a quick treat for your dog. Dogs of all sizes can appreciate them, and they are easy to chew (they're quite soft) so your bad-teeth older fella will be thrilled.

These are easy to handle and break apart into pieces. No crunch whatsoever. :) And they smell decent, too. Like a doggie treat is supposed to.

I love the ingredients--duck and potatoes are the top two major ones (water being the second most weighed ingredient). Then there are natural products for flavor and the glucosamine (also natural) and other flavors (also natural). No HFCS, no chemicals.

They also have no corn--a big plus--as dogs are naturally allergic to corn and it makes their hair fall out. I have been showing dogs for years, and it's common knowledge out there...but still dog food manufacturer's include it as it is a cheap filler. One day, I hope they stop. Poor dogs.

My pit bull and beagle both loved these :) The glucosamine and chondroitin are a perk and after time, will help aging joints (it takes some time before you'll see results with that. I'm not sure how much is in them, but even at liquid supplemental doses, it can take up to a month...in a treat, you might see some results, but it will take awhile.)

Amadeus (Director's Cut) [HD]
Amadeus (Director's Cut) [HD]
DVD
Price: $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Directors cut--wow! So many holes in the storyline were filled., September 18, 2014
My favorite movie of all time. The director's cut is even better! I wish they'd have released it in its entirety at the beginning.

A River Runs Through It and Other Stories, Twenty-fifth Anniversary Edition
A River Runs Through It and Other Stories, Twenty-fifth Anniversary Edition
Price: $7.86

4.0 out of 5 stars The conflict within us and among us, clearly illustrated in this novel that is full of life lessons for all., September 17, 2014
If you liked the movie, you'll love the book.
I hate to start a review this way, because I'd much rather people read books before going to see the movie, as so much is lost in the movie production.
Norman Maclean tells his own story of his family and the romance his family has with God and nature. Illustrating the conflict between transcendentalism and literary naturalism, and the conflict of spirit vs. common sense, this book has more lessons than I could list here--probably more than I could learn in two or three readings (which I have done). Each time I pick it up, there is a new lesson, a new spin, and a new thing of beauty to behold.
I'm not one to recommend books on a spiritual level, but this one is a big thumbs-up from me.

West Paw Design Guaranteed Tough Large Tux Dog Toy, Aqua Blue
West Paw Design Guaranteed Tough Large Tux Dog Toy, Aqua Blue
Price: $15.50
13 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds up to powerful pit bull jaws--just like all the other West Paw toys we have. Another win for Buster!, September 17, 2014
Buster's new favorite!
West Paw does it again with this ball. Buster, my 85# pit bull, is a heavy chewer and other brands can't hold up (even those that say that they are meant for heavy-chewers). We have a bunch of West Paw toys, and every single one has held up beautifully.
I wanted to get him some new toys, and bought this, some duplicates of other West Paw toys, and a couple by other brands (which lasted all of 10 minutes, tops). This one is his favorite--he carries it all over the house.
West Paw--thank you for making products that really do handle the powerful (and obsessive) jaws of our Buster :)

The New Western Garden Book: The Ultimate Gardening Guide (Sunset Western Garden Book)
by Editors of Sunset Magazine
Price: $24.93
61 used & new from $21.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for people with landscaping and who care for it themselves., September 17, 2014
The Go-To for me in landscaping research.

I just bought a house in a totally different zone than I'm accustomed to, so needed this book to find out how to care for my new landscaping. I have had different versions of this book over the past 20 years, and this is my favorite. The pictures are clear, the drawings are clear, and they have even more common sense tips for people like me, who struggle to care for plants properly.

I have crepe mertles in my yard, and this book explained exactly why we were seeing yellowing of the edges of leaves. This is SO helpful! I can now treat the plants accordingly (potassium deficiency) without worry. It told me how to prune them (different than most trees/shrubs) and gave common sense information about traditional pruning of our other new trees and plants.

I actually got better information from this book than I did the local nursery's specialists. That says a LOT.

ProDesign Silicone Spatula - #sexyspatula - 100% NON STICK - Heat Resistant 500°F - Dishwasher Safe - FDA Compliant Food Grade Silicone - Rubber Spatula - Silicone Spade - Kitchen Turner - MODERN DESIGN - Ergonomic Handle - Excellent Multi Purpose Kitchen Gadget - LIFETIME Money Back Guarantee (Chili Pepper Red)
Offered by Topaz Commerce
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy spatula? Let's get down to how it works., September 17, 2014
The marketing of this spatula is interesting--they are trying to make kitchen products fun and exciting (after all, what's exciting about a spatula?). That said, this is not a bad little tool.

This spatula is more flexible than others in my drawer. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on what you're using it for. If you're scraping softer material (like cake batter, for instance), this will get every last bit. If you're scraping a fry pan with crunchy bits that stick to the bottom of the hot pan, it will not be able to hold up to that pressure.

You are able to put this in the dishwasher. I have done so twice now and it hasn't shown any detrimental effects like loosening of the connections or hazing of the clear handle. Time will tell, and if it changes, I'll revisit this review and let you know.

I was sent this item for free from the manufacturer for review, and I really put it through its paces. It did well with soft batters, but with tougher substances (peanut butter, stir fry with garlic) it didn't do as well. The ability to wash in the dishwasher is a plus (I have a Thermador dishwasher, which does not use traditional heating elements in drying, so keep that in mind for this review).

The marketing is directed towards a younger set, and might be effective, but I'm 47 and don't care if my spatula makes me sexy or not. haha I suppose that would be a fun thing for a bridal shower gift basket, though.

Fine Gardening Beds & Borders: design ideas for gardens large and small
Fine Gardening Beds & Borders: design ideas for gardens large and small
by Editors & Contributors of Fine Gardening
Price: $18.55
67 used & new from $4.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Good addition, but not the only book you'll need., September 17, 2014
I like this book for ideas for our landscaping, but be aware, they use a totally different method of zoning than the "landscaper's bible", The Sunset Western Garden Book. When I first read through it, I thought that none of the plants applied to me.

It's pretty much an "idea book". Once you get the knack of their zoning system, it's a great tool to get started. I like the common-sense approach to design (the author tells you of his past mistakes so you don't repeat them; like creating beds with very curvy borders and the problems associated with the curves).

If you get this, you'll still need the Sunset Western Garden Book (or something like it) to teach you how to care for the plants you choose.

Shells 10 PCS 4 Inches Silver Color S Shaped Stainless Metal Hooks Hangers For Home, Kitchen and Garage
Offered by Shells Group
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, but so much cheaper than other options, they're perfect for me., September 17, 2014
They do the job for a great price. I have a pot rack and couldn't find "nice" hooks with the little balls on the ends for embellishment (to match the hooks on the side of the pot rack). Lowes and Home Depot were happy to special order them for me--for two to three times the price and a long wait.

I got these in two days, and they match perfectly. They are strong enough to hold my heaviest stainless pots, and the hooks are well-balanced.

My only complaint is that the chroming on all of them is browned/thinner on the larger side of the hook. (I ordered three bags of them, so out of 30 pieces, all 30 were like this.) If I were totally picky, I'd be unhappy with this, but my pot rack is really big and they aren't seen that closely, so I'm keeping them. I suppose this is part of "you get what you pay for". These are by far the cheapest I could find.

Nice hooks, nice detail, with the only problem being the slight browning on the larger side...

OXO 11108600 8-Cup Good Grips French Press Coffee Maker, Silver/Black
OXO 11108600 8-Cup Good Grips French Press Coffee Maker, Silver/Black
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than traditional brew, but prefer the Grosche Madrid, September 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually use the Brew Express BEC-110BS 10-Cup Countertop Coffee System, Stainless/Black to make my coffee each day, and it brews a helluva good cup.

On those rare occasions that I want something more delightful, a French Pressed cup is in order.

French Pressed coffee is more time-intensive, but for intimate settings or special occasions, it's worth the time if done right. (It's not expensive, or difficult, either.)

Because of the slower brewing process, the oils from the grounds end up more concentrated in your coffee than stuck to your filter in a traditional coffee maker. This results in a much better tasting cup of coffee.

The different styles of presses vary, but the process is the same. A few scoops of coffee into the press, add hot water (the temperature of this water can be of great debate, but I just boil it), wait 4 minutes (this is the standard), press the plunger, and have your cup of coffee.

Cleaning recommendations vary per manufacturer, too. This one recommends hand-washing. I usually do this anyway, so that's no big deal. It keeps the press looking nice. This OXO unit comes apart easily, and is easy to clean. The beaker is heavy enough so that you don't feel it's flimsy, and there are no crazy crevices to try to clean. If you get to it right away, you'll have no problems with cleaning.

Also note that this press (and others) can double as a tea press, using loose-leafed tea.

For extra amazing coffee, try using bottled water or RO water.

My traditional go-to for presses is the GROSCHE MADRID Premium french Press Coffee and Tea maker, 1 liter 34 fl. oz capacity, but it's simply because of style. This is a nice press, too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2014 8:08 PM PDT

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Mini-Rewards Lamb Formula Semi-Moist Dog Treat
Price: $10.32
8 used & new from $4.65

4.0 out of 5 stars MIni is right--which is a good thing., September 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These arrived today and immediately my pooches knew something was for them...the beagle has a nose for these things, and the pit bull just follows his lead.

These are a nice texture--soft, but firm. They smell good (not good enough for me to try them, but they don't smell chemically, as some other brands with this texture can.

I used to show my beagle (he's an AKC champion) and have tried so many different tiny treats, it's not funny. He loved these, and they would have been good in the ring.

They are great for rewards/treats in your overweight dogs, too...they are small enough that you're not loading them up with lots of extra calories. They can add up when a dog is in training.

The one drawback is that they are a little greasy, so keep that in mind if you're using them for the ring or in training--they will leave an oily residue on your hands after a few treats are handed out. Not the best for keeping in your pocket, either.

They are indeed tiny. My pit hardly noticed that he swallowed one, and kept looking around for it.

Great for training purposes, and for use in the show ring. :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20