Profile for Bob > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob RSS Feed

Sony SEL1018 10-18mm Wide-Angle Zoom Lens
Sony SEL1018 10-18mm Wide-Angle Zoom Lens
Price: $848.00
3 used & new from $835.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lens for Indoor Use!, April 27, 2014
I've owned four of Sony's 'Nex' camera so far, the Nex-5n, the Nex-7, the Nex-6, and recently the ILCE-6000. I truly enjoy the smaller foot print, the live view on the LCD screen as well as the view finder, and the fact that I can nurture my toy addiction while working on my photography skills. I am not a professional photographer by any means, I started by taking pictures of my 4 kids and now I've continued to try and improve more by becoming more proficient and low-light photography indoors and outdoors.

I'm not a pixel-peeper, so my review is not a technical one. The other lenses I own are the original SEL18200 (truly love that lens, but you need light for it to shine, and I feel for the range and quality you get it is priced appropriately), the Zeiss SEL2418 (which is an amazing lens, but arguable expensive), and now this SEL1018.

What I have noticed is that the SEL1018 is the first lens that gives me the focal range I need for indoor shooting. For birthday parties, or when their are groups of people, I can get the whole group in the picture without having to push up against a wall. It is also very nice to have a range to zoom - it just makes framing things that much easier, especially when you are also interacting with people and don't want to take minutes to set up and compose a shot. The F4 aperture is not considered 'fast', but this lens has OSS and I find it fast enough for indoor shooting in moderate light. I waited a long time to buy this lens, primarily due to cost, but also because I had the SEL18200 which gave me the wide angle I thought was good enough and the 16mm Sony prime lens was out there and fairly inexpensive.

I'm getting a very high number of 'keepers' with this lens, the shots produced are really very nice, the focal range is great for indoors and allows me to zoom to compose quickly, and the F4 aperture is good enough especially considering OSS.

I should have bought this lens a long time ago.

Pointe (1-year auto-renewal)
Pointe (1-year auto-renewal)
Price: $16.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great magazine but much cheaper directly from their website, February 2, 2013
You can get a one year subscription directly from the Pointe magazine website for 25% less. Of course you get the exact same product, so this review is just about the pricing.

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Olympus OM Zuiko Lens to Sony Alpha NEX E-mount Camera,
Price: $24.05
6 used & new from $8.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens too hard to mount!!!, June 3, 2012
Well built, but design tolerances must not be well controlled as I have to REALLY tewist hard to get my 135mm f3.5 Zuiko lens to attach to this adapter. When I get it to mount, it becomes near impossible to remove. Something is wrong. Sending it back.

Lava Electronics  HD-468 Indoor HDTV Antenna
Lava Electronics HD-468 Indoor HDTV Antenna
Offered by Vaporizer Direct
Price: $21.19
27 used & new from $16.10

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but there are much better antenna, April 25, 2012
I hooked this up to my Tivo box to receive off the air TV, Hi-def included. I was able to get 16 stations, of which 9 were reliable. I bought an amplified Leaf antenna also. When I hooked that up in the same exact location, I got 40 channels, of which 26 were reliable. Needless to say, I am not using the Lava antenna at all and am using the Leaf instead. The Lava antenna was extremely light and made of plastic with marginally constructed metal parts for the antenna (ring and rabbit ears). I saw no reason that it would not last, but it was so light that with the rabbit ears extended it would tend to tip over. It did not do a good anough job for me, your mileage may vary.

Paradise GL23158SS4 Stainless Steel Solar Bollard Light with White LED, 4-Pack, Stainless Steel
Price: $25.71
14 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So far these are excellent, March 28, 2012
I spend every Spring replacing sets of solar path lights due to them breaking, most break off their thin plastic stakes when a ball or pet lightly bumps into them. I like these lights because instead of a thin 1/2" or 1" plastic stake, these are a good 2-3 inches wide and very sturdy. At least the ground stake system is much better than the others I have had. I just installed these today and have not yet seen the light output or whether they work or not. 5 stars for the build quality and asthetics. I'll update this review once I can see their quality for myself.
Also, mine did not have battery protective tabs as another reviewer indicated, mine have an off/auto switch under the top part that simply unscrews easily. These were very easy to install and the stake system seems more durable than any others I have tried so far. I have installed 16 so far (4 boxes). Hammer (lightly) the stakes into the ground, remove the top cover and switch the light from off to auto, push the light over the stake, and you are done. The hardest part is making sure the stake is hammered straight into the ground so when the light is attached it doesn't look like it is leaning.
Update: I have 16 (4 boxes) installed and being used for over a week now. I am very impressed. All 16 of these lights work perfectly, have the perfect amount of light output at night for me, seem to stay on most of the night (long enough for me), and I have had no issues whatsoever. I just ordered 3 more boxes of these. The are built well, easy to install, higher quality (especially the stakes) than other brands I have used, and suit our taste aethetically.

Foscam FI8919W Outdoor Wireless Pan/Tilt IP Camera with IR-Cut Off Filter for TRUE COLOR Images (Not Washed Out), Auto-Iris (Auto-Brightness Adjustment), IP66 Waterproof Enclosure, Synology & Blue Iris Compatible, Pan 355° Tilt 80°, White
Offered by Foscam Digital Technologies LLC
Price: $189.99
4 used & new from $139.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good ip camera, February 4, 2012
This is my third ip/wifi cam, the other two being an Astak Mole, and Sharx, and now this Agasio. It works well, no issues out of the box, setup was just like any other ip cam: get it set up on your network, access it's setup page via a browser on your local lan, and voila. Everything as expected, but the users manual is electronic on the CD provided in the box. I bought this as an outdoor, wifi, nightvision ip cam with pan and tilt. It is working great inside, I have not yet set it up outside to determine how reliable and waterproof it is. I use the Blue Iris software to monitor all my ip cams in one window, set up alerts, and provide web acess to all the feeds. Blue Iris did not have a setting for the A622W, but selecting the A601W worked, just FYI. It seems rugged and well built.
The only thing I do not like is the all in one cable that is hard wired to the camera. The reset button, power, and wired netwok all use a single cable that has 3 connectors on one end that is hard wired to the internals of the camera. I will use this over wifi, so I don't need the bulk of the thick cable and wired LAN connector, but it cannot be removed and makes mouting it to the wall difficult as the tangle of cable/connectors doesn't quite fit in the small recess on the mounting plate.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2013 7:19 AM PST

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers  (Graphite)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Graphite)
75 used & new from $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars My 2nd kindle that failed, October 29, 2011
I'm abandoning Kindle. My original Kindle display failed and Amazon wantes to charge 70 plus S&H to replace it. Now this one failed, under warranty this time, so back it goes. It is a single purpose device, so if it fails you bascially have no choice but to replace it under whatever terms Amazon dictates. I'm off to Nook-land to try that out.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2011 6:07 PM PST

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
69 used & new from $56.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Display failed, October 29, 2011
The dispplay on this Kindle just stopped working, incredibly immediately after the unit was out of warranty. Amazon customer service and their 'Kindle specialist' I spoke to twice was less than helpful both times and wanted to charge me 70.00 plus S&H. As a single purpose device and as a customer that has bought many Amazon kindle books, this seems unreasonable. So I returned the other Kindles I have bought before this happens again. I'll move over to the nook, at last I have options on non-Amazon eBooks.

Replacement Lamp 3000HRS 165W for PTAE1000U
Replacement Lamp 3000HRS 165W for PTAE1000U
Offered by ABC Electronic Shop
Price: $45.46
49 used & new from $42.31

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned - Not Authentic, August 9, 2011
I purchased this bulb based on the description that it is an original Panasonic bulb manufactured by Panasonic. When I received my item, it was broken, in an obviously opened box, and it was not an original Panasonic bulb. I returned it and Crawford was efficient about accepting the return and providing me with a refund (they also paid for the return shipping). The return experience was as easy as possible, but the bulb was not as advertised.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2011 10:32 AM PDT