Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for A. Donoho > Reviews

Browse

A. Donoho's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Donoho RSS Feed (Austin, TX USA)

PenPower WorldCard Pro Business Card Scanner (Win/Mac)
PenPower WorldCard Pro Business Card Scanner (Win/Mac)
Offered by Penpower Inc
Price: $134.95
50 used & new from $75.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but has Clunky Software, July 24, 2016
The hardware works as advertised. The software is clunky but mostly works. It met my expectations. I wish the software was better than it is.

Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Thunderbolt Adapter
Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Thunderbolt Adapter
Offered by Fat Owls
Price: $149.99
6 used & new from $88.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Unleashes the speed in your hard drive. Performs as advertised., January 5, 2014
I need to read and write large chunks of data. My mid-2011 iMac with its USB2 interfaces wasn't cutting it. Upgrading my external Seagate drive to Thunderbolt delivered the performance I need. For example, I am unzipping a file as I write to the external drive at 123 MB/s. This is about 6 times faster than I was able to achieve over USB2.

It was un-Mac-like that I needed to load a special driver, included on the thumb drive in the package, to use the Thunderbolt interface with my 4TB drive. But you do. Don't freak out.

At this price though, it should have included a Thunderbolt cable. Paying an extra $30 to Apple was annoying.

Anon,
Andrew

Core Data: Apple's API for Persisting Data on Mac OS X
Core Data: Apple's API for Persisting Data on Mac OS X
by Marcus Zarra
31 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge Oversight in this book., February 15, 2010
I wanted to learn how to use Apple's Core Data technology in my iPhone applications. I was deeply disappointed by this book.

"Core Data" leaves out a discussion of NSPredicate, the query language of Core Data. This is basically the same as leaving a discussion of the WHERE clause out of a SQL book. For the record, "Core Data" actually does cover NSPredicate -- for 3/4 of a page. And then it references Apple's documentation. Before I bought this book, I had already read Apple's docs and found them wanting. Apple's lame documentation was a motivating factor in my choice to purchase "Core Data".

If you need to make queries on the Core Data object graph, then do not buy this book. It doesn't help you learn Apple's different query language.

Logitech Comfort Lapdesk (white/grey)
Logitech Comfort Lapdesk (white/grey)
Offered by IsaacTronics

5.0 out of 5 stars comfy and convenient, June 8, 2009
Been using my Lapdesk for several weeks now. It's light, cool, comfortable. Since it's a little bigger than my MacBook, I tend to use one side of it as a perch for my shuffle charger. The base consists of nylon mesh over padding that shields me from the laptop's heat, while the air channel under the metal laptop platform opens forward and vents heat nicely. I'm happy.

Fang Gamepad by Ideazon
Fang Gamepad by Ideazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Fang and Mac, March 24, 2007
I am happy with the Fang and would buy it again. I gave the Fang (...) because it is an average product not an exceptional product. (The Wiimote, the Nintendo Wii controller, is an exceptional product.)

The Fang is a PC-only product out of the box. Mac people, without third party software, will find it mostly useless. I knew this when I purchased it to help me play the World of Warcraft (WoW). The Fang, when combined with ControllerMate by OrderedBytes (...), can be used quite well on a Mac.

The Fang hardware is about what you would expect from a game oriented keyboard - mushy keys and a sometimes intermittent contact when not pressed hard on some keys. I was motivated to buy it when my Apple Keyboard started to have keypress problems on the keys that have the most use when playing WoW. Since I was replacing the main keyboard with one that has a better "key-feel" and was more expensive, I wanted to move my WoW 'work' to something that was less expensive and better for gameplay. The Fang is both.

Weber 2820 Smokey Mountain Cooker/Smoker
Weber 2820 Smokey Mountain Cooker/Smoker
Offered by Acme Tools
Price: $299.00
12 used & new from $299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Star is Born - You!, November 4, 2006
After borrowing a friend's smoker and performing web research, I chose to buy the WSM cooker (Weber Smokey Mountain). The WSM has made me a neighborhood star. Folks like to show up for our Smokin' Sunday dinners. They know they're going to get really good smoked meats.

This is a customer created web site and forum where all things WSM are discussed. They have recipes, fire building methods, videos on "How to Butterfly a Chicken" and detailed, step by step illustrated methods to prepare many meats. They have forums where real live smoking afficianados answer your neophyte questions.

Other than the support group, why buy a WSM? There are both cheaper and more expensive smokers out there. The WSM is like Goldilocks - it's just right. Versus smaller smokers, the WSM gives you more control over the process. While smoking is a slow process, it still helps to keep a fire within a modest range of temperatures. The larger smokers can make a prodigous amount of food. Much more than any family gathering can consume. The WSM can hold 2 packer cut briskets (30 lbs.) or 4 pork shoulders (30 lbs.) or 6 baby back ribs or 4 4 lb. chickens or 2 12 lb. turkeys. Any one of those is enough to easily feed 15 or more people. (The brisket or shoulder can easily feed more.) Do you really need to serve more people?

Finally, the WSM is a water smoker. Unlike the larger, offset box smokers, a water smoker is more forgiving. It does this, as its name implies, by using a tray of water between your meat and the fire. This water help keep the temperature constant by boiling off (at 212 degrees F) and keeping meat moist. Both of these are key aids to a great smoked meat. You want your meat cooked "low and slow" for tenderness and you still want it moist when you're done. A good water smoker, such as the WSM, helps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2006 5:17 PM PST