Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for Sheldon brown > Reviews

Browse

Sheldon brown's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sheldon brown RSS Feed

Hotels of North America
Hotels of North America
by Rick Moody
Price: $15.58
72 used & new from $9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a good book., February 6, 2016
yay. please write more. we need stephen king level prolificay.

O'Neill Wetsuits Women's Reactor 3/2mm Full Suit, Black Twilight, 8
O'Neill Wetsuits Women's Reactor 3/2mm Full Suit, Black Twilight, 8
Offered by Prime Scuba
Price: $99.95
2 used & new from $99.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Pepe Le Pew, January 22, 2016
If you enjoy the smell of skunk - on your body and throughout your house - this is the suit for you.
We thought a skunk had snuck into our house and died but realized it was this suit.
We have other wetsuits that have a typical neoprene aroma, which is very different from this.
Maybe there was a bad batch. I was swayed by the overall high scores, but now I see a few other complaints.

OxyLED® BTL-10 Rechargeable Bike Bicycle Cycling Safety Zone Tail Light, 8 Super Bright LED Taillights, 2 Red LaserWaterproof, 1000mAh Li-ion Battery,180°Adjustable Bracket, 220°Visibility
Offered by Hisgadget Inc
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars good customer service., December 8, 2015
I had an initial problem (bad charger). Customer service was really responsive. Sent a replacement right away. Other cyclists are impressed with the lasers. I don't know if they will vaporize the cars intruding on my lane... but it is a nice feature.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2015 11:32 PM PST

Avantree DG40S Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle Adapter for PC with Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and Vista system - Plug and Play on Win 7 and above - 2 Year Warranty
Offered by Avantree_Direct
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $9.00

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible software. It installs some odd software shell above ..., September 29, 2015
terrible software. It installs some odd software shell above the device driver that has a limit on the amount of data it will transmit before extorting more money from you.
I bought another adapter for about the same price of sending this back that works great.
At east it doesn't take up too much room in the trash.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2016 12:56 PM PST

Jabra Sport Plus Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones, Retail Packaging, Black/Yellow
Offered by 123CellDeals
Price: $49.99
18 used & new from $18.95

2.0 out of 5 stars These last about 7 months, January 20, 2014
Went through 2 pairs in just over a year. Never worn in the rain. Wore when biking or running.
Jabra replaced the first pair without any problems. The second pair started acting up after about 6 months.
In the midst of this, I also bought a pair of wired headphones from Jabra, and they also failed, and were replaced, and then the replacement also failed.
So four sets of expensive headphones in two years, which all stated were designed for the conditions I was using them in.
The reason I give them 2 stars instead of 1 is that when they worked, they were just what I was looking for. But for the price, they shouldn't be disposable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 2:59 PM PST

Gear Beast Premium Nylon/Neoprene Sports Armband for Samsung Galaxy S4 & LG Google Nexus 5 & Nexus 4 & HTC Windows 8x & Blackberry Z10 & More (Black)
Offered by Gear Beast
Price: $7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars worst possible outcome, September 15, 2013
If you sweat when you exercise, do not use this armband.
I went on a six mile run and the sweat soaked through the armband and ruined my phone.
I was shocked (and so was my phone) at how the armband did nothing to protect the phone. The rubber that sits on the skin was completely soaked through. It is more like a sponge then a protective sleeve.
Now I'm out a brand new phone. I would give this a negative 10 stars if possible.

Jabra SPORT - Corded - Sports Headset - Retail Packaging - Black/Yellow
Jabra SPORT - Corded - Sports Headset - Retail Packaging - Black/Yellow
Offered by WestGate
Price: $13.99
14 used & new from $9.79

2.0 out of 5 stars too bad.... with an update, October 20, 2012
Unfortunate that attention to design missed in a critical area. The volume slider is vulnerable to sweat getting in and ruining the contacts. I run my cord on the inside of my bike jersey - so this just gets soaked. But even if you had this outside, it is exposed to the elements and would probably get damaged. The rest of the headphone set up is pretty good - the ear piece backing could be thinner and the ear pieces themselves are a bit big (and I'm 6' 2"), but the headphones are now unusable after about 10 bike rides. You can buy $8 headphones that last this long - for ~$50 I expect much more than disposable.

Update - Jabra was very good about sending a replacement. So kudos on customer service - gets another star. I sealed up the whole volume slider with sealant tape - so I lose that capability, but hopefully they will last for awhile.

A Visit from the Goon Squad
A Visit from the Goon Squad
by Jennifer Egan
Price: $9.49
436 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It is worthy, December 5, 2011
Very good book. Deserves its accolades for its structure, style and characters.
It is rare that I go back and read a book twice within a year, but I did with this one.

Freedom
Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen
580 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars It isn't a waste of time., October 11, 2010
This review is from: Freedom (Hardcover)
Reading this book, I'm reminded not so much of the 19th century literature that others want it to strive to be, but more the adult relationship movie plots of our current time. The characters are just as pointless as "ordinary people", but maybe they would be pleasant enough to look at as they went through their self-important, exceptionalness, lives. Here, instead of the joy of actors buffed looks or a directors crafty framing, we have Franzen's literary gifts as entertainment. Reading this, I was conflicted between my distaste for the characters and the lack of scope of the novel, with my ongoing joy of reading great passages. In fact, I thought that I could enjoy reading Franzen write about most anything, and then I got to the part describing the operation of the Cerulean Trust. Beyond that, other mechanics of the book were hard to forgive. The worst being the Patty journal. If he didn't want to be more of a meta-fictionalist, why even bother with this plot device and why make it so extensive in the book? Is he making some allusion to this books own function in an autobiographical role? Or one level removed - how realist fiction is always approached with the question of the autobiographical? The little to nothing that I know of Franzen are: his friendship with David Foster Wallace and his ambivalence to Oprah's bookclub, have some resonance in the themes of the book: depression and the relationships between art and popular culture. If the voice of Patty is ultimately Franzen's, is Patty's story his as well? Then there is the pun of Richard Katz, and Walter becoming a cat-hating curmudgeon. Groaningly funny... The slight resolution at the end, where nothing is resolved except that Patty and Walter's parents have mostly died off and they can't fight their childhood battles anymore, is perhaps often accurate, but it does leave me to wonder what the purpose and goals of fiction can be these days? At times I think Franzen is taking this on, but in the end, retreats to his his craft and hopes its purpose will emerge from there (which isn't a bad tactic, as long as you are always looking at the multiple engagements of your craft). If he writes like this, then he probably should have written a book 3 or 4 times as long (look at how science fiction authors often work in trilogies), but to leave at the chicklet stage is ultimately not a complete meal. Is 4 stars too high with all of these gripes? If I had read better books published this year, it might go down a notch, but so far, it stands apart.