ARRAY(0x9dd9360c)

Customer Reviews: 333

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michelle R RSS Feed (Minnesota)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Doctor Sleep: A Novel
Doctor Sleep: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked, but I doubt it will end up as a favorite., November 3, 2013
The Shining (the book) entered my life when I was too young to be reading books like The Shining. I went to the movie version with my mother and grandmother, and the one time they clapped hands over my eyes was when the naked woman came out of the tub.(I could tell stories about the discrepancy between their treatment of sex and violence.)

King said in an interview, at least I remember him as having done so, that Danny would grow up to be an abusive alcoholic, which I admired for the realism of that -- statistically, probably. It seems, though, that King came around to see something better for Danny, now Dan. Once that, psychic vampires aside, is also plausible.

I liked this version, where he finds sobriety and a calling. I'm not as sure that the huge coincidence in the book works, and the bad guys didn't feel scary, and they didn't make me worry for the good guys.

The scariest scene was at the beginning -- the return of the dead woman from the tub -- but that got an assist from my childhood fears.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wish that King didn't have to label this a horror novel, and could truly make it about Dan Torrance's work to guide people into death, to witness their lives and, oh, transitions. That feels like the book this was meant to be, perhaps the book the author wanted to write. Maybe that version could have been a story in his next anthology.

Like a whole lot of other people, I considered Stephen King a part of my life, his books there for every stage of my life, other than infancy and toddlerhood. I'm always glad to spend time with him, as well as the other find writers in his family. (Tabitha King, Joe Hill, Kelly Braffet, and Owen King.) But for me, the two best novels from this family this year would be NOS4A2 and Save Yourself: A Novel. However,last year I adored 11/22/63. This is a wordy way to say that I liked Doctor Sleep, but the end result was too far off the mark for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2014 3:47 PM PDT

The Cook's Illustrated Baking Book
The Cook's Illustrated Baking Book
by Editors of Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Price: $25.69
39 used & new from $16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An Ongoing Review, November 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So far, I'm loving on this book. There's a section that tells must-have kitchen essentials, and each recipe tells the principle behind the choices.

Today, I made banana bread, and it was a solid 4. Very moist, pretty simple and fun to make.(I'll add more impressions of recipes as I go, and when Thanksgiving on the horizon, I plan on making 2-3 more things, minimum, shortly!)

I know people who've bought these books before are complaining about repetition. This is important information, and valid from their perspective. But this whole book is new to me, and I'm amazed at the number of recipes and amount of information and education.

Bumble Bee Sensations Tomato Basil Tuna Kit,  3.6 Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Bumble Bee Sensations Tomato Basil Tuna Kit, 3.6 Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Price: $25.36
4 used & new from $25.36

4.0 out of 5 stars This was a little bit of alright., November 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like tuna, particularly when they're flavored -- like the Tuna Creations in a pouch by Starkist. (Starkist Tuna Creations, Hickory Smoked, Single Serve 2.6-Ounce Pouch (Pack of 6)is my favorite of those.) So, this hit the spot, the simplicity of pulling open the tab, and having some crackers right there. I like tomato basil, so that also tasted good. I could see this for when I'm too busy to break from work!

I'm buying these!

Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
by Rick Hanson
Price: $14.30
55 used & new from $12.91

4.0 out of 5 stars What I Needed...., November 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, I had preordered this book before being offered a review copy, forgetting I had pre-ordered. My brain was really determined to have this book.

I objectively know my life is amazing, and appreciate my blessings, but I have difficultly allowing this knowledge to affect my mood. I constantly expect the other shoe to drop, and some of this is for good reason, and based on past experience. I live my life under a constant cloud of stress, tension, and possibly low-level paranoia that the universe is out to get me. (I'm a delight at parties.)

This book explains to me why my brain is trying to keep me safe, and in doing so making me rather miserable. There's a mention in the book about dealing with our true needs -- preventing scurvy with vitamin c -- and how we tend to compensate in other ways for the things we really want. This made me ask myself what I really craved and sought, and that could well be a game changer for me.

Why 4 stars? Pure orneriness. I hate reading books like this and having a lot of page space devoted to the author trying to sell me on a book that's already mine. Give me the science and principles, sure, but then let's move on to the practical.

Grade My Teacher: A Short Story
Grade My Teacher: A Short Story
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars All The Lonely People, October 12, 2013
A teacher sees a review of her on a Grade-Your-Teacher website. It's not flattering. The student alleges an incident that is just close enough to what happened to allow the teacher to figure out the identity of the girl. (The girl reported the subtext of a conversation as, um, text.) They arrange to meet and discuss it.

The story is about loneliness, and the desire to be seen and appreciated. The desire to be perceived in the way that matches how we perceive ourselves.

I found the story interesting, and I like short stories, but for readers who are more ambivalent about the shorter form, it might not seem like there's enough there there. However, the story rewarded me by making me think about the things people do in order to be heard, and how the internet both allows opportunities to be seen, and opportunities to ignore the humanity of others. And why the temptation to lie or exaggerate on the internet might be too enticing by far.

Fangirl
Fangirl
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Suggest Reading Eleanor and Park Again, October 6, 2013
This review is from: Fangirl (Kindle Edition)
A previous book by Rainbow Rowell blew me away -- Eleanor & Park. E&P proved to be intelligent and funny, and the story felt fully fleshed out.

Fangirl? 2 out of 3 aint bad. Intelligent and funny are still on display, but the book seemed to be about a lot of things that almost happened, or were almost dramatic. Tons of promise of interesting events that never panned out. (Alienation from a twin, catastrophe due to father being bipolar, twin or self with mental illness, maternal abandonment, growing as a writer, accusations/repercussions from perceived plagiarism.)

But there's a lot of good here. Anyone who's enjoyed fanfic will relate to Cath as a dedicated writer of Slash/HoYay! One of the questions raised by the author concerned whether or not Cath might be shortchanging her skills by playing in another author's world. I'm not sure an answer was reached.

Cath's love interest, Levi, seemed to be a cool guy, appreciative of everything that made Cath unique.

I'd list Rainbow Rowell is one of the better YA/NA authors out there, but the prime example of this remains Eleanor and Park. Still, this book was worth my time, and very well might be worth yours!

Olay Pro-X Microdermabrasion Plus Advanced Cleansing System, 1-Kit
Olay Pro-X Microdermabrasion Plus Advanced Cleansing System, 1-Kit
Price: $30.67
23 used & new from $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, especially if you like to live a little dangerously., September 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Olay Pro-X definitely does a great job at cleansing, and microdermabrasion. My complexion is brighter, my skin is softer, a darker patch on one cheek is lighter. Yay!

There are two attachments -- one for cleansing, one for microdermabrasion. There is a blue bottle, and a red bottle. The red goes with the daily attachment, the blue with the micro attachment. It would have been cool to have some color coding on the attachment to make it easier to remember which tool matches which product.

My word of caution is to watch your hair, because the tool will catch it. Ouch. And if it doesn't yank the hair out, the attachment will spool it, and head for your scalp. Yeah. This happened even though I had my hair pulled back. I now keep my hand between the tool and my hair line as a protective measure.

Recommended, but be careful. :)

The Waking Dark
The Waking Dark
by Robin Wasserman
Price: $14.55
68 used & new from $0.24

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 and 1/4 starsfor The Waking Dark, September 7, 2013
This review is from: The Waking Dark (Hardcover)
Here is what I liked:

All the -- many -- POV (point of view) characters. This is quite a feat, to have be engaged -- about equally -- with all their plights.

The author's ability to throw in a line that is surprisingly blunt and unexpected.

What I was neutral about: All the details that reminded me of Stephen King. King has written so much stuff that touching on his stories is inevitable. But, still, at least 5 books. None of the similarities were too, um, similar.

What didn't work for me:

How often the POV shifted. As much as I liked all the characters, I would have liked to settle in with each one for longer passages at a time.

The explanation: Predictable, and filled with plot holes if you think about it for more than 10 seconds.

Too long. As much as I liked the story, and there was no doubt that I would read through to the end to find out the fate of the main characters, and the town, I was ready for it to be over. There was enough repetition throughout that the length felt excessive.

Conclusion: I like this author, and could see checking in with Robin Wasserman again, if the plot was intriguing enough.

Side Mates Ring Shaped Pasta and Cheese, 6 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Side Mates Ring Shaped Pasta and Cheese, 6 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Price: $24.48
2 used & new from $22.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay., September 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tried another product from this company -- Side Mates Pilaf with Rice, Pasta, Garlic, and Herbs, 6 Ounce (Pack of 8)-- that I liked a lot more. The pilaf was subtle, the rings were merely bland. Not the worst, not the best, not likely to be a regular part of the dinner rotation.

Side Mates Pilaf with Rice, Pasta, Garlic, and Herbs, 6 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Side Mates Pilaf with Rice, Pasta, Garlic, and Herbs, 6 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Price: $20.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, will buy., September 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really liked this, and thought the flavor was nice and subtle. My husband felt to to be a little bland, but we also enjoyed, and we agree that we'll use this again. Nice new side to add to the pantry!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20