Profile for Ravens Path > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ravens Path RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Creative 52: Weekly Projects to Invigorate Your Photography Portfolio
Creative 52: Weekly Projects to Invigorate Your Photography Portfolio
by Lindsay Adler
Price: $26.23
50 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Projects to develop your style and portfolio, November 11, 2013
Lindsay Adler's book "Creative 52: Weekly Projects to Invigorate Your Photography Portfolio" is an engaging and educational look at ways to expand your portfolio and skills. She shares her creative process and breaks down 52 projects into three different categories, Concepts, Techniques and Post-Production. Each section is designed to help you develop a certain set of photographic skills.

Each of the projects is also broken down into sections. Description-where the overall project is described. Inspiration-where the author shares the photographers that inspired her for this project are shared, and the reasons why. My Solution- where Lindsay talks about the image that is connected to the project and how she developed the idea behind it. Each picture also has the metadata included which is a plus.

I will be going back to this book over and over as I continue to develop my photographic style and skill.

Mohu Leaf Paper - Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA with Premium Cables, Premium Connectors and Premium Materials
Price: $39.95
38 used & new from $25.95

5.0 out of 5 stars All our local channels, October 14, 2013
We decided to get rid of our cable TV as we only watched one channel that was not available over the air. I did the research and went with the Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna. When we first got it I was a bit skeptical, but I hooked it up and let the TV scan for channels. Once it was complete I went online and verified through an FCC site what channels were available in our area. It had found them all. But a few of them barely came in so I was still worried and was thinking that I was going to have to get an amplifier as well. Doing some more research I learned that only a few inches can have a major difference in the signal. I also used the FCC mapping tool to show me where the signals were coming from. Where I had the antenna I was missing two channels 99% of the time and one more about 75% of the time. Moving the antenna up about 6 inches I now get all the local channels at about mid strength or higher. My suggestion is that if you aren't getting all the channels at a good strength move it to a new spot and wait a couple of minutes and then flip through the channels. I would not scan again if you know that at one point it found all your local ones. The new scan could drop some if the signal strength is low in thew new spot. This item is going to save us $80 a month. Well worth the price and the 15 minutes of time where I kept moving it to new positions.

Acer Aspire AS7739-6830 17.3-Inch Laptop
Acer Aspire AS7739-6830 17.3-Inch Laptop

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent laptop, December 11, 2011
Our previous laptop bit the dust last week and I needed something semi-fast. I did the usual research and went with this one. For the price $540 or so it is okay. I like the hard drive size and the size of the screen. It is a bit larger than our previous laptop. There are no dedicated external controls for volume which can be annoying as it is nice to press one button to turn the sound off. There are three USB ports which is good, but two of them on near the front (closest to you) edge on the right side. So if you are using a wireless mouse and have something plugged into the USB ports there the cable gets in the way. Setup to the wireless network was seamless and creating a backup of the system went pretty smoothly. I don't like the fact they don't call the initial discs system restore discs, more of backup so I am little concerned what will happen if I have reinstall windows. The keyboard feels nice, but when using the backspace key and the arrow keys there seems to be a bit of delay. So if using backspace I will often delete more than expected or I need to wait for the cursor to catch up. The arrow keys need to be pressed pretty firmly sometimes to move.

Using Lightroom 3 I have noticed a 'hesitation mark' when using the grid view. A thin black line will appear on the thumbnails from where the thumbnail was 'cut off' by the screen as you scroll. It goes away and doesn't effect your actual image, just annoying when looking at your pictures.

I'm giving it three stars to star with reserving the right to make an edit as I get more used to it and tweak the system.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2011 12:49 PM PST

LG BD670 3D Wireless Network Blu-ray Disc Player with Smart TV
LG BD670 3D Wireless Network Blu-ray Disc Player with Smart TV
5 used & new from $99.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but some annoying quirks, October 7, 2011
We finally decided to get a blu-ray player after our previous DVD bite the dust. We had a high def TV so why not use the capabilities. We also needed one that could connect wirelessly to our network and stream Netflix. This player does all that. And when it works it works brilliantly. But there are some issues that are starting to drive me nuts.

It seems to lose connection to the network randomly. Not often, but at least three or four times a week in the middle of watching a streaming show it drops connection. This wouldn't be so bad but when it happens you can't just turn the player off. You have to unplug it so that whole system reboots.

The other item that is can be really annoying is that it will become unresponsive. Sitting here right now I pushed the button to turn the player off over 5 minutes ago. And it is still trying to turn off. The solution? You guessed it. Unplug and then plug it back in. Doing that once a day or so just gets to be tiring.

The quality of the playback is great. I love the fact that I can stream movies directly from my computer as needed to my TV. It plays just about every format of video file (with some exceptions). It is easy to use. It can just be annoying. I should not have to reset my blu-ray player daily to be able to use it effectively.

Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition)
Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition)
by Matt Kloskowski
Price: $27.52
81 used & new from $13.21

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to learn about Photoshop layers, January 17, 2011
New to Photoshop I wanted to get the most out of the program and learn how to use Layers. Watching Matt Kloskowski on D-Town TV helped make up my mind on this is one of the books that would help me. And I was not disappointed. The book is easy to read and easy to follow along with. As other reviews say there are some instances where I had to go back and read the directions a couple of times to make sure I understood what was going on. But part of that may have been because I was so eager to get on to the next step. You can download the majority of the photos used in the book to follow along with the instructions. Which makes it much easier to learn as many people learn by doing. As you do each step you see the results and how they all fit together.

There also two bonus videos that you can watch on some Photoshop basics which are not 'covered' in the book but are very helpful.

For me the explanation of the blending modes was one of the most helpful things. He goes beyond saying this mode does this, but how they work and why. The whole book is full of useful tips, tricks, hints and knowledge in general.

If you want to learn about layers in Photoshop this is a great place to start.

The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
by Scott Kelby
Price: $34.38
114 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for photoshop beginners, January 17, 2011
I bought this book a few weeks ago and love it. I am new to both digital photography and Photoshop and wanted a book that would teach me the basics of editing photos. This book did that and so much more. Scott Kelby's casual style of writing really draws you into the book and makes it very easy to learn. The layout of the chapters makes it very easy to follow along and learn how to do something, but also the reason behind it so you can use it in other ways. The chapter introductions are fun and engaging. The pictures in each chapter are clear and colorful, and relevant.

What also makes it nice is that you can download most of the pictures Mr. Kelby uses in the book to follow along in order to get the practical experience. To me this is key to the book. You can tell/show me what to do, but until I can do it and replicate the results it doesn't truly sink in. At least for me. And since you are taking the pictures through a variety of stages/steps you can see the results of what each of those steps produces. Which may be an effect you want to use later because you think it is cool.

I have gone back to the book time and time again as I tried to work on my photos and remembered "What a sec, I saw this in Scott Kelby's book." Find the right chapter, look up the steps and produce fantastic results. So beyond just an educational tool it is also a reference book.

If you are using Photoshop to work on digital photographs I can't recommend this book more.

Opteka RC-2 IR Remote Control for Nikon P7000, P7100, J1, V1, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D3000, D3200, D5000, D5100 & D7000 DSLR Cameras (ML-L3 Replacement)
Offered by 47th Street Photo
Price: $5.95
3 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great remote-works at many angles, December 5, 2010
After reading reviews for this product and other wireless remotes I decided to go with the Opteka RC-2. When it arrived earlier this week I was disappointed at first. It took one shot out of the box and then would not take any more. Hoping it was a battery issue I decided to get a new one before I returned the remote. The cost of the battery was just under half the cost the remote. If it didn't work I would return it. Put in the battery, set my D5000 to wireless release and fired away. It works beautifully now. The auto focus works just fine as well with the remote. I set my camera up on my tripod and kept walking away to see how far I could get. I ran out of room at between 25-28 feet and it was still firing. I also stood behind the camera to see if it would trigger the shutter and it did with no problem. You just need to make sure the strap doesn't cover the sensor as happened to me at one point.

A very good remote for the price.

Teva Men's Cardenas Fisherman Sandal,Cigar,10.5 M US
Teva Men's Cardenas Fisherman Sandal,Cigar,10.5 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoe of choice, June 28, 2010
To be honest my first pair of this sandal had a defect in them. The inside of the shoe where your foot rests did not go all the way to the front of the shoe. My toes rested on this 'ridge' so whenever I took a step I could feel it. I didn't wear them beyond trying them on, contacted Amazon CS and had a new pair within 2 days.

The first time I wore the new pair my feet ached a bit. I had them on for about 9 hours. But don't let this discourage you. I don't know if that one day was an adjustment period for myself or the sandals but now they are all I want to wear! They are more comfortable than just about any tennis shoe I have ever owned. Since I have gotten them and unless I can't wear them for some reason (work dress code) these are what I am slipping on to head out the door. They slide on very easily but there is never any worry that they will fall off. My feet don't sweat in them and stay cool. Just this weekend I went to an art festival where I was on my feet for a good 6 hours straight and these sandals held up well. I normally put inserts in my shoes to help with my arches but with these I have not needed to at all. I have no concerns about my foot slipping on whatever I am slipping on or my foot slipping in the sandal as can happen with sandals that may have only one strap around your ankle.

I'm also not a big one about style per se when it comes to shoes (or anything). But I liked the look of these and my wife tells me that they are very stylish.

When these wear out I will getting a new pair from Teva.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, September 7, 2009
While reading this reviews for this product (and other kettles) I was really worried about the smell issues that so many people have mentioned. But this pot has also received top reviews from other sources so I was torn. I finally decided to give it a try. We have had no problem with what so ever. What is arrived we boiled a pot of water and dumped it as suggested. And used it every day since. The water heats up quickly and the handle stays cool. Some mentioned that it the pot was noisy. I find that I like the bit of noise as I can leave the room but I can tell how far along the process is by the noise it make. And it isn't like it the sound is all that intrusive. It is easy to use and very stylish as well. A great product
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2009 12:41 PM PDT

Samsung DVD-1080P9 1080p Upconverting DVD Player
Samsung DVD-1080P9 1080p Upconverting DVD Player
5 used & new from $39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardware compatibility issues, August 20, 2009
I did a bunch of research on upscaling DVD players and decided on this one finally. I also purchased an HDMI cable to use with our Toshiba HD. The player arrived first so we connected it with the cables that came with it and it works just fine. No upscaling but plays our DVDs perfectly. The HDMI cable arrived a few days later so hooked it up and that is where the problems started. The Samsung player hijacks the TV controls of the Toshiba. Even though our cable connection does not run through the DVD player the player MUST be on to watch cable TV. And if you don't turn items on in the correct order than the TV won't function correctly. Sometimes you cannot change the input on the TV and other times you cannot change the channel. Once the DVD player automatically turns off after so long the TV begins to act weird. Sound will go out or become very fuzzy. I have contacted Samsung but they never responded to my questions. I have posted on various forum boards, including Samsungs, and no one seems to know what is happening. The player does have a function that if connected to a Samsung TV you can have it automatically control the TV, but that functionality is off. I have reset both the TV and the DVD player and still no luck. So it is connected back up the standard DVD cables. And that works just fine. I am just disappointed we can't use the upscaling feature since that is why we purchased the player. Be mindful that there could be some hardware issues depending on what you connect the player too.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2009 1:08 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2