Profile for Charles Arehart > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Charles Arehart RSS Feed (Alpharetta GA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
I Left Something Turned on at Home (In the Style of Trace Adkins) [Karaoke Version] - Single
Price: $1.98

3.0 out of 5 stars No screen lyrics., January 1, 2015
No screen lyrics.

Anker® 2 x 3100mAh Li-ion Batteries for Samsung Galaxy Note 2/II, N7100, I605 (Verizon), I317 (AT&T), T889 (T-Mobile), L900 (Sprint), R950 (U.S. Cellular), fits EB595675LA with Anker® Travel Charger, and 18-Month Warranty
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $49.99
3 used & new from $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, June 9, 2014
It was great to get two batteries for my Note II at such a relatively low price. I'd been looking all over for them in stores, to no avail.

They seem to be as good as the original. So far the charger seems to be working fine, too.

My biggest challenge (and it's merely a personal one!) is just remembering that I have these spares now. I swapped out one of the new ones for my old, but I'm just so used to just putting up with the battery running low after a day that I have to remember now to keep the other charged and in my pocket to swap out if/when needed, and then to recharge that each night. That's just a process thing, and a good problem/option to have!

Railo 3 Beginner's Guide
Railo 3 Beginner's Guide
by Paul Klinkenberg
Price: $40.49
25 used & new from $40.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Written as in intro both to CFML and Railo, but still with value for experienced CFers, March 3, 2012
This book is aimed at those interested in the open source CFML server, Railo. It introduces readers to both the server and the language, CFML (ColdFusion Markup Language, in the form of both tags and script, popularized by the commercial product, Adobe ColdFusion.) Railo is perhaps the most popular of the open source CFML engines. The book presumes you have no prior experience with either CFML or Railo.

I've written a fairly comprehensive review of the book, at my blog, carehart.org (Amazon removed the direct link I'd offered to the review when I first posted this here). That's written more to my blog's audience, experienced CF developers (and is much lengthier than the typical Amazon book review), so it doesn't seem appropriate to just duplicate it here. In that review I do go over the specific chapters, identify some of the key things discussed in the book, and evaluate the level at which content is written. I also explain that I was given a review copy of the book by the publisher.

But here's a snippet from my conclusion, slightly modified to stand on its own here:

"Is this a book for you? It really depends on where you are in your understanding of Railo, and indeed CFML. It's not really geared toward those already having prior CFML experience, in that it starts from square 1, but then it also covers a lot of ground way beyond square 1. For those with prior CFML experience willing to dig through, they may not only learn things new to Railo (compared to Adobe ColdFusion, aka ACF) but also things existing in ACF that perhaps they've not paid attention to. Then again, some readers may wish it covered more about what is specifically different between the two (or may wish that it was made more clear). Still others will think it's great that it just "rolls with Railo", which suits a reader not coming from CF at all."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2012 11:56 AM PDT

Active Life: Extreme Challenge Bundle with Mat - Nintendo Wii
Active Life: Extreme Challenge Bundle with Mat - Nintendo Wii
Offered by HappyHome Products
Price: $48.98
17 used & new from $28.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as fun as reviews led me to expect (Adult perspective), January 5, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not happy and will be returning this game. Like "Rick" below, I bought it based on the reviews here, when it was offered at a bit of a discount as a an Amazon "Deal of the Day". Having bought a couple other Wii activity games before (Wii Fit and EA Active), I was looking for some new variety.

But the Extreme Challenge was just not that enthralling, and was often more annoying than fun. First, even at the basic levels, some of the games were frustrating (like kite surfing, where the controls and needed actions weren't intuitive). It kind of felt more similar to traditional (non-Wii) games where there's an expectation that it SHOULD be tricky and only those "in the know" or who can figure it out should have the most fun. That didn't suit me, as an adult, and it's not what I've come to expect from Wii games.

Second, besides the mat not being wide enough for two adults (as others had commented), I was also annoyed to find that it tends to slip as you jump, especially in the jump-roping (but also other games). Given that landing accurately is key, yet you have to look up at the screen to know where to land, the movement of the mat was really frustrating. And having to play without shoes also added a bit of strain to the action.

Then, as others have noted, it just didn't feel like I was always really exerting physically, which was my main goal. Perhaps later levels or other games I didn't play would have gone better.

Clearly, others have enjoyed it, so more power to them. There will be one more available in the warehouse for you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2010 8:47 PM PST

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God
Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God
by J. I. Packer
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $17.08
27 used & new from $6.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great explanation of why and how we should evangelize--God's got our back!, October 13, 2007
When we as Christians try to reach out to others to share the good news of the Gospel, it's so easy to fall into a trap of relying on our abilities and techniques (our own or those we learn from others). In this book, J.I. Packer lays out a clear case for why all such efforts are doomed to fail, unless we recognized that it's fruitless without God also moving in the life of a new believer.

So what does that mean? That we need not bother? Far from it! Further, if only the elect are saved, does God really need us? He does, and we need to understand why. It's all in the Bible, but just as good commentaries help us to understand the context of a passage, and relate it to systematic themes throughout the Bible, so too does Packer's book do the same to explain Evangelism and our role in it.

The book is divided neatly into 4 parts: Divine Sovereignty, Divine Sovereignty & Human Responsibility, Evangelism, and Divine Sovereignty & Evangelism. Though I was listening to an unabridged audiobook version, the presenter spoke the clear breakdown of the book's sections into numbered sections and subsections (often a few levels deep). This is a very clear, well-organized, and cogent work. Call it, "The Case for Evangelism". :-)

Of course, along the way, we're washed with lots of other essential truths that bear repeating. It's a classic, timeless, valuable book, and with the audio format I look forward to listening to it again and again, just as I have with Mere Christianity and other foundational books. Just like good sermons that press key points over and over in our lives, we can never hear enough of such expository truth. I recommend it for all.

Server-Side Flash: Scripts, Databases, and Dynamic Development
Server-Side Flash: Scripts, Databases, and Dynamic Development
by William R. Sanders
20 used & new from $7.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Note: Book is about Flash 5, not FlashMX or Flash Remoting, January 29, 2003
This isn't a criticism of the book, but pay attention that it's from 2001 and covers Flash 5, NOT the latest Flash MX and its available Flash Remoting technology which offers far easier server-side integration.
Still, the info in the book still has value today to those who have not yet bought Flash MX. Indeed, even if you have Flash Mx, if your server is Perl, PHP, CF5, etc, then the approaches here will work since the new Flash Remoting only works on CFMX, ASP.NET, and select J2EE platforms.
Then again, MX users who do get the book should check out the newer LoadVars object as an alternative to the older but still supported LoadVariables. The approach to processing XML is also vastly improved in MX.
Of course, the book can't be faulted for having come out prior to MX. It's just that since the title doesn't say Flash 5, if you buy the book thinking it's about the latest and greatest ways of doing Flash/server integration, you'd likely be disappointed. Just offering this as a caution.

Performance Analysis for Java¿ Websites
Performance Analysis for Java¿ Websites
by Stacy Joines
Price: $40.19
37 used & new from $2.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book--and for more than just Java web app developers, November 9, 2002
What a great, pragmatic, deeply informative book. As a web application developer for 5 years and enterprise application developer for 20, I came to the book with considerable experience, yet I still learned a lot. And as a trainer and writer, I'm always looking for good books to recommend and this is one I do most highly.
Important to note is that it's also valuable for those developing ASP, ColdFusion, or PHP web sites, because the performance analysis approaches used by the authors (and tool discussions) are rather generic. You don't really need to understand Java to benefit considerably from their excellent explanations of the fundamentals of web application performance analysis and tuning.
That's not to take away from its unique value for Java developers. Clearly there are many specific aspects for them, but other developers will find that 80% of the book is perfectly useful and deeply informative.
I rate a book by how many notes I take as tidbits of useful info. And though I've used several load testing tools and even given seminars on the subject, I still learned much in every chapter.
/charlie

Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages (JSP)
Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages (JSP)
by Marty Hall
92 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, made better in follow-on "More Servlets and JSP", January 26, 2002
Some reviews have suggested that this excellent book is due for a face-lift. The good news is that this can now be found in Marty Hall's follow-on book, "More Servlets and JSP" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130676144/). The book takes the topics in this book much further adding several topics, updating them for the servlet 2.3 and jsp 1.2 standards, and even showing how to do things in 3 different servers (Tomcat, JRun, and ServletExec).
Interestingly, it also digests most of this older book into its 2nd and 3rd chapters (about 200 pages), so some readers may just want to jump to that book. There's more detail on basic subjects in this book though, so it certainly still has value.

Making Patriots
Making Patriots
by Walter Berns
Price: $20.43
69 used & new from $1.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Published just in the nick of time, September 21, 2001
This review is from: Making Patriots (Hardcover)
It's hard to believe that so timely and appropriate a book could arrive in the face of the horrors of September 11. Rather than offer my own pithy praise, let me quote Senator John McCain from the book's dustjacket:
"Making Patriots is an extremely timely and important work. Walter Berns brilliantly and gracefully explains how our nation's future depends upon the patriot's understanding that freedom must serve the great cause of 'government of, by and for the people' and not only our own individual interests. Though patriotism, as Berns shows, may require sacrifice, it enlarges our hearts and minds, and forms a great and necessary bond among ourselves and with generations past and future."
I hope people will pardon my offering this quote rather than my own. It's just that he--and this book--offers a sentiment that is so right for our time. I wanted other readers considering the book to know that it's been so highly regarded by one of America's true and well-known patriots.

Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes
Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes
by Ben Forta
77 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good job at its intended job, January 16, 2000
Ben Forta has done a great job distilling the most pertinent basic SQL concepts into simple, easy to read form. Befitting its "10 minute" moniker, this is a wonderful book for new SQL programmers. But it's also subtly different in a way that will particularly suit folks coming into SQL for the first time as part of their involvement in using web database development tools such as ColdFusion and Active Server Pages.
One one level, any new SQL programmer using any DBMS will appreciate the easily digested coverage of the fundamental query and update basics. The books is well-written, an easy read, and goes beyond those basics without going too far.
Even moderately experienced readers will be well-served by the clear, simple discussions of important topics (like data manipulation and aggregating functions, grouping data, subqueries, views, etc) that can be easily forgotten, as well as other topics (such as using transactions, constraints, triggers, etc.) that can get lost in wading through other more voluminous tomes. Ben presents a very nice balance of fundamental topics.
But there's more to this book than being a simple intro to SQL. That audience of web db developers is an exploding one, and they bring some unique needs for which Ben provides a valuable perspective. Most SQL books have some DBMS-specific bias, despite SQL's purpose as a tool for accessing any kind of database in a consistent manner. Web application development environments like ASP and CF are also similarly database-agnostic. There are subtle points about using SQL in such environments that are different from using it, say, in a query builder or in a client/server environment.
Ben, who was lead author of the highly regarded ColdFusion Web Application Construction Kit, presents the subjects in a manner suitable to such programmers and the way they'd code SQL and use its results, and he also sprinkles in discussions of how to take care of cross-platform issues on particular tasks, and often offers specific solutions for the most popular DBMS's used by that audience, such as Access, SQL Server, and Oracle.
On still another level, other books also get bogged down in issues of database design, creation, administration, security, etc. Important though those topics are, most development shops are growing to a point where those tasks are being handled by different people, and the developer who simply wants to code retrieval and update applications is challenged to find a good intro sql book that doesn't wade into detail on topics that they may not yet be able to understand, let alone ever need to perform. There are other great books that do cover those subjects, and readers would do well to seek those out as they progress in their learning.
It certainly makes it challenging to find (and no less to write) a SQL book. There are just so many potential audiences. For its intended purpose though, "Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes" is very well done. As in his previous books, Ben is right on the money--and for a very low price, at that!

Page: 1 | 2