Profile for S. Hathaway > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Hathaway RSS Feed (CT)

Let Our Children Go: Steps to Free Your Child from Evil Influences and Demonic Harassment
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Let Our Children Go, November 11, 2012
While I did get some helpful information from this book, at the same time I was a bit turned off by the author's views. She's obviously a born-again Christian and with that often comes judgment and condemnation toward those who do not hold the same views. To me, this was a distraction, detracting from the message of the book.

The author specifically names Hinduism, Buddhism and Wicca as religions to turn away from as they can promote evil influences in children. However, one can still retain a Christ-like mind when practicing these particular religions. Christianity is not the only one right way to attain closeness with God or enlightenment. If anything, there needs to be respect and tolerance toward other religions of the world.

I did manage to pick up on some things worthwhile in the book; for instance, the effects of certain music and video games on children. I picked up this book with the thought that maybe it would shed some light on my daughter's behavior. She was exhibiting an anti-social personality, but maybe it was just negative influence. Because of the atrocious behavior, she was denied radio privileges and limited video game usage in our home. Of course, she wasn't restricted access to these things while at school as her friends would lend her their electronics, so the exposure was still there.

I found the chapters on trauma, abuse, peer pressure and bullying insightful. There are so many things that can influence our children, and we must take action to protect them. The author provides her way of dealing with these issues. If you're Christian, this is the book for you. Overall, some useful information despite the religion that dominates these pages.

Life Is Worth Living
Life Is Worth Living
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great content but not entirely readable on Kindle, September 28, 2012
I gave this four stars only because I cannot view all the text on the screen of my Kindle Fire 2d Gen. The words cut off on the right and I cannot see them no matter how much I try to adjust the settings. If someone has suggestions as to how I can view it all without it getting cut off, I'd greatly appreciate it.

As for the content of this book, it's excellent. Basically, when we allow Spirit to work through us for the glory of God, this is what makes life worth living. Fortunately, I can view the text in its entirety when read from the cloud on my computer. I'd recommend it for its content but not to be read from the Kindle device.

On Death and Dying (Scribner Classics)
On Death and Dying (Scribner Classics)
by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Price: $18.97
128 used & new from $4.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Do I have to give this even one star?, March 23, 2009
I agree with the other writer who gave this book a one-star rating. It is definitely not for the sick. Although I'm not terminally ill, this book turned my stomach reading it. I had to read this as part of my coursework toward my Ph.D. Basically, Kubler-Ross states that if a person is dying, he/she needs to come to terms with his/her finality. Also, the patient should not be encouraged to think of happier times. Why ever not? Patients labeled as terminal should be able to deal with it any way they choose, even if their choice is one of denial. Kubler-Ross also discusses a certain Christian Scientist woman in one of her case studies. Although I'm not a Christian Scientist, it is clear that Kubler-Ross has no idea what this is about. Being a true Christian Scientist means that one knows (and not simply believes) that he/she can be healed. It does not mean a person denies dis-ease and leaves the rest entirely up to God. There must be a change in outlook as well. With so many health care workers focused on dis-ease, it is very difficult for anyone to maintain a healthy mentality in the hospital environment. Labeling a person as terminal or dying only helps to reinforce this condition. This is especially negative when he/she does not wish this as opposed to someone who is ready to pass on.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2013 6:49 PM PST

Fangs for the Memories (The Young Brothers, Book 1)
Fangs for the Memories (The Young Brothers, Book 1)
by Kathy Love
91 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Excellent!, December 19, 2006
Kathy Love immediately drew me in with the intriguing characters of Rhys and Jane (what brought them to the bar in the first place). Then, why was Rhys' brother, Christian, so miffed with him that he wanted to kill him? Nothing gets told right away (exactly what happened with Rhys and the woman Christian thought he loved?), but just enough to keep me interested. The characters had depth and were actually believable (vampires, believable?) -- and likable. Rhys' other brother, Sebastian, was hilarious with all the stunts he pulled on the amnesiac Rhys (a vampire with amnesia who forgets he's a vampire?).

The love scenes were mesmerizing. I've read several romances and the love scenes got to the point where they were tedious; I thought I'd become jaded. Kathy Love's love scenes were highly original and I read with bated breath. When I thought she couldn't possibly throw in another love scenario, she did. Personally, I like the bathtub scene the best.

A great book to read when you have enough time set aside. Don't expect to be able to easily set it aside and get back to it. I made the mistake of starting to read this book at night. I had a hard time putting it down as it's such a page-turner. Needless to say, I lost a lot of sleep.

This was the best vampire romance book I've read so far as it had wonderful characters, plot and suspense. I will definitely be purchasing more of Kathy Love's books.

Meditating with Mandalas: 52 New Mandalas to Help You Grow in Peace and Awareness
by David Fontana
40 used & new from $0.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful mandalas and highly useful content, July 13, 2005
In "Meditating with Mandalas," David Fontana talks about how you can incorporate your experience of meditation with mandalas into your everyday life. You can better realize love and practice kindness as well. Prior to reading this book, I did not understand the point of mandalas, and I have read other books on the subject. What really attracted me to the book was its original, colorful and intriguing mandalas. These are not typical mandalas one may be accustomed to seeing. Some include dolphins, an octopus, a waterfall, and a water garden. A truly beautiful book of mandalas that makes sense of this meditation practice. I highly recommend it.

Aura Reading for Beginners: Develop Your Psychic Awareness for Health & Success (For Beginners (Llewellyn's))
by Richard Webster
Price: $10.05
132 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Webster makes aura reading ACCESSIBLE, May 31, 2005
I found Webster's "Aura Reading for Beginners" informative without being overwhelming. Since I'm a beginner at reading auras, this book provided me with the tools to get started. It was presented in a matter-of-fact tone and had very clear instructions. The author goes through step by step how to start seeing your own aura and others' auras, then he progresses to seeing ground and radiant colors of the aura. There's also a section on aura clearing using various methods.

I've been trying to get started in taking the alternative path, but many of the books I've come across were either obscure or provided an overload of information. Webster makes aura reading accessible. My only suggestion to Webster would be to include in the next printing the types of music recommended for all chakras rather than just the first chakra. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone learning how to read auras.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2007 11:27 PM PST