Profile for H. Huang > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. Huang RSS Feed (Portland, OR)

Dental Orthodontic Silicone ORTHOSIL Pack of 9
Dental Orthodontic Silicone ORTHOSIL Pack of 9
Offered by Orthomechanics
Price: $8.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, December 12, 2012
This works much better than the standard paraffin dental wax. It's less noticeable because it's clear, doesn't fall apart when you eat food, doesn't melt when you drink hot liquids, and it comes off cleanly in one piece without crumbling. So much better I wonder why the paraffin is even used at all except that it is much cheaper. And that's the only reason I dinged it for one star.

PREMIUM Extra Long 6 Foot USB Sync & Charge Cable for All iPod & iPhone Models (Black)
2 used & new from $4.65

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: cannot play music through this cable, March 30, 2012
When I first got the cable, I was pretty happy. It looked well made and I don't know if it was exactly 6 ft, but it was long enough for what I needed - my car. When I used it just to charge my iPhone at home, it worked well enough. In my car, I had been using the original 3 ft long white cable that came with the phone. It worked fine, but I had just got a window dock for my phone and now needed a longer cable. That's when I found a problem. When I connect my iPhone 4S in the car, my car switches over to USB mode to play music. Well, with this cable, it switches for a few seconds, then disconnects, and then a few seconds later connects again, and cycles back and forth like this non-stop. It's only when I switch my car stereo to radio that it starts charging. But I cannot get music on my iPhone to play. The only way to get it started is if I leave it plugged in before I start the car up. But then when it starts playing, I can't select any other songs, and after a few minutes, the music becomes completely garbled like there's static which baffles me since it's a digital connection. When I disconnect the cable and reconnect, it goes back to the connect/disconnect cycling.

I wrote to the seller about the problem thinking I got a bad cable. But I only got a response that apologized but acknowledged that I won't be able to play music through this cable. I'm confused. Are there certain cables that are not supposed to be able to play music through them?? If they won't give me a refund, I guess I'm only out a few bucks. But I wanted to warn everyone, if you want to play music through your cable, don't get this one.

Onkyo UP-A1 Dock for the iPod (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Onkyo UP-A1 Dock for the iPod (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
4 used & new from $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great..., December 25, 2009
Not sure how so many people can have such problems getting this to work. If your Onkyo receiver has the port, you just plug it in. Done. On your iPod/iPhone, make sure your video is set to Widescreen and NTSC and you're all set. Works great and looks nice. My only criticism is the price. I got it included with my purchase of the Onkyo TX-SR707. But if I hadn't, I'm not sure I would have bought it just because the price is so high for a mere dock. For $29, you could buy the "official" Apple dock and have an extra USB port. Plus, it'd be more versatile since it uses a standard audio out plug and you can plug it into some small battery powered speakers for a portable solution to playing your music out loud. The advantages of this dock are that it uses a single cable for power and audio/video out, and the glossy black is nice looking if you want it to blend in with the rest of your equipment. If you can get it for under $50 or in some deal which includes it, sure get it. At full price (or obviously if you don't own an Onkyo receiver with a compatible port), I'd pass. Or at least wait until you come across a good deal.

Lexicon IONIX U22 2-Input USB 2.0 Desktop Recording Studio
Lexicon IONIX U22 2-Input USB 2.0 Desktop Recording Studio

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work well with Snow Leopard, September 28, 2009
On paper, the specifications had everything I was looking for, plus a rather clever form factor, and a reasonable price. A reasonable price assuming it works. And it did work for the first month I had it. Then I upgraded my OS X to Snow Leopard and that's when my U22 simply died. It simply won't come up as a device option under preferences, and it won't work under any kind of application I've tried it with. On top of that Lexicon's "support" won't respond to anyone's e-mails asking for an ETA on updated drivers. I'm not the only person. All you need to do is Google "lexicon u22 snow leopard" and you'll see how many people have had problems with this product (as well as the entire lineup of ionix products). My advice - stay away from Lexicon until they show a little more willingness to communicate with their customers and put a little more effort into working on drivers. Without working drivers, this is a worthless piece of metal and plastic.

EDIT: As commented below, some updated drivers have been put out. However, the drivers are still problematic. The sound sometimes doesn't "engage" until you turn up the volume high. And if you set it too low, sometimes it just cuts out. Furthermore, I still haven't been able to get the audio to work in certain programs, notably VLC player. The U22 simply doesn't appear as an device option. So while the drivers partially work, it's still less than satisfactory for a piece of hardware that is less than a year old. I've bumped it up 1 star. The greatest problem that I have with this product now is that the company does not communicate very well with its customers. It's a good way to lose customer loyalty when you keep silent about driver compatibility issues and don't issue any kind of statement even acknowledging the problem. I don't think this is unreasonable to expect from a company that supposedly caters to the professional musician crowd.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2009 11:38 AM PST

Sony Cybershot DSCT30 7.2MP Digital Camera with 3x Super SteadyShot Stabilization Zoom
5 used & new from $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Response to "sunshine lover", August 20, 2006
Amazon needs a commenting feature for reviews so that we don't need to actually submit a whole review to make a comment about another review.

Anyhow, just wanted to say that the reason why "sunshine lover" has had problems with a dark face is not the fault of the camera nor because of color balancing. EVERY camera will do this when using matrix or scene average type auto exposure. The problem is that a camera does not have the dynamic range to capture details in BOTH a dimly lit object (face in shadows) AND a bright background. So it has to choose one of them to properly expose. Since the overall scene is bright, it sets the exposure (aperture and shutter speed) as such. Even if you "spot" expose or use exposure compensation, to properly expose the face, the background would then be overexposed and show up as bright white.

The only way to really "solve" this problem is to either set up the shot so that the face gets more light, or turn on the flash so that the face is bright enough to match the exposure of the bright background scene. Use the flash - it's a very common technique for getting proper exposure of shaded faces.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2006 8:26 AM PST

Sony NW-E107 Network Walkman 1 GB Digital Music Player (Silver)
Sony NW-E107 Network Walkman 1 GB Digital Music Player (Silver)
Offered by LWOutlet
Price: $99.68
3 used & new from $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Previous review is mistaken about file transfers..., April 29, 2005
It's true that you need to use SonicStage in order to be able to PLAY songs on this player. However, when you attach the NW-E107 to the USB cable, it is recognized as a USB drive. You can, in fact, drag and drop files onto it, as well as off of it.