Profile for Calif Guy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 149

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Calif Guy RSS Feed (CA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Sunlite FC16T9/WW 40-Watt FC T9 Linear Fluorescent Lamp 4-Pin Base, Warm White
Sunlite FC16T9/WW 40-Watt FC T9 Linear Fluorescent Lamp 4-Pin Base, Warm White
Price: $16.36
2 used & new from $16.36

4.0 out of 5 stars nice bulb, slight purple hue, December 12, 2012
This is a standard size FC19T9 bulb. It is 19" in diameter and uses 40 watts. According to the package it produces 3100 lumens with a 10000 hour life. The color temperature is 2700 Kelvin however I find the light to be slightly purple. The light is pleasant for a fluorescent bulb, just not the slightly yellowish 'warm white' I expected.

I knocked the rating down because the color temperature does not seem to be 2700K. Despite this I would buy this product again.

Block Struggle Free
Block Struggle Free
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good game, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Block Struggle Free (App)
PROS:
The game is easy to learn and fun to play.
It is a connect the dots style gem/block grouping game. The various block points and multipliers add to the complextity and therefore the learning curve.

Every time I chose to challenge a random opponent the game was very quick to search and return with a new opponent to play. You can play multiple concurent games so you are not waiting for a slow opponent to play.

The Cons:
Security and Privacy. The game requires access to the Phone State and Identity. This is not uncommon and they probably do this to suspend the game during phone calls, none the less I prefer to not allow access.

Tips:
The point multipliers are the most significant way to achieve a high score. Early in the round clear out as many number blocks as you can leaving the multipliers. Towards the middle point of the round focus on a single color. As you get below 45 sec you want to start planning a route to make sure you can connect all of the multiplier blocks of a single color that you have accumulated.

Since this is a turn based multiplayer game sometimes the opponent will not respond for a long period of time. To minimize the impact of this on your enjoyment always have more than one game going at a time and do not let the game go idle when it is your turn so your opponent does not get bored and leave.

UPDATE
------
I edited the review to give the app 5-stars and removed a couple of the cons as the issues have been resolved.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking lights, only four bulbs and very short cord, December 12, 2012
PROS:
- These lights are very large, each 'bulb' is almost a foot tall.
- The color and clarity of the plastic is good.
- The threaded part of the bulb is covered with reflective flake so it sparkles. This is a nice touch.
- Each bulb is lit with four clear white mini christmas lights (not LED).

CONS:
- There are only four of these giant bulbs on the string.
- The length from the first bulb to the last is only about 4'.
- The length of cord from the plug to the first bulb is only about 2' so you will need to use an extension cord in most cases.

Although these bulbs are attractive I doubt I would buy this again. The total cost with taxes and shipping is nearly $40, that is close to $10 per bulb.

River City Clocks 805-108 Indoor / Outdoor Thermometer with Minimum / Maximum Temperature Indicators, 4.5 Inch Diameter

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cheap min/max thermometer for greenhouse, December 10, 2012
I bought this to monitor the temperature in my greenhouse so I know how effective my auto-opening vents are on hot days and how low the overnight temperature inside the greenhouse dips in the winter.

Construction/Quality:
The plastic housing and clear plastic cover are reasonably made and the materials seem to be fine for a low cost plastic thermometer. I think the references to the device being 'flimsy' are because the reset dial that is used to reset the high and low temperature readings is VERY easy to turn. However I believe it is built this way so that the high/low indicators can easily move and do not restrict the primary temperature reading. If the reset dial were stiff and not 'flimsy' I doubt the gauge would work properly.

Operation and Accuracy:
The gauge is easy to read. The plastic case has a slot on the back so it can be easily hung on a wall. To reset the high or low temperature readings you simply turn the center know clockwise or counter-clockwise. The operation of the dial is extremely light so you just need to turn it very gently. I have not done any detailed or scientific calibration, what I have observed is the accuracy seems to be pretty good, it has matched or been within a degrees.

This product meets my need to monitor high and low temperature readings so I can plan any modifications to my greenhouse. It does this very simply and came at a very low price.

Boston Round Bottles, 2 Oz Pack of 12
Boston Round Bottles, 2 Oz Pack of 12
Offered by Campers Haven
Price: $10.19
8 used & new from $7.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little bottles, includes cap with inner plastic seal, December 7, 2012
I am using these to bottle some homemade extracts. They are a great size and shape for this, plus the amber color should protect the extract from UV light.

The only reason I took off a star from the rating is the product information is not very complete. It does not clearly state if these are safe for food use, and I do not know if the alchohol will damage the cap or plastic seal.

I will try to update the review after the extract has been bottled for a few months.

I would buy this product again.

UPDATE
------
After a year the bottle caps and seals have held up just fine to the high alcohol content of the extracts. If I need more bottles to make additional extracts I will purchase these again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2014 1:20 PM PST

KingWin Esata Bracket Cable (ESAC-02)
KingWin Esata Bracket Cable (ESAC-02)
Price: $3.99
22 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, needed a minor adjustment to bracket, December 7, 2012
PROS:
This simply extends open SATA ports on your motherboard to the back or your PC and converts the internal SATA port to an eSATA port. If you need extra external SATA ports and have open internal SATA ports this is perfect.

I bought this over competing options because for the same price or less you get 2 ports instead of one.

CONS:
I had a minor issue with the lower port. It was slightly misaligned with the hole in the bracket, this prevented me from plugging a SATA cable in. To fix this I simply loosened the screws on the bracket, plugged in the eSATA cable, then with the cable plugged in I retightend the bracket. A super easy fix and the only reason I rated this 4 starts instead of 5.

I would buy this product again.

StarTech 1-1/4-Inch Self-Adhesive Rubber Feet for PC Cases RUBBERFEET - 4 Pack - Black
Price: $3.99
39 used & new from $0.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to upgrade the look and improve airflow., December 4, 2012
These are great for an HTPC case or anytime you want to flip a PC or other device from vertical to horizontal use. They are great for this because they protect the bottom, raise the device to allow better airflow, and help transform the look. For me they helped change the look of a PC Case to a Consumer Electronic Component.

I flipped a Raidmax R4 Micro ATX Case from vertical to horizontal use. I needed feet for this to work well and the large diameter and tall height was really important to look good, protect the bottom of the case, and to provide ample airspace underneath.

Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 1600 MicroATX - BOXDH77EB
Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 1600 MicroATX - BOXDH77EB
Offered by Mega1Comp
Price: $125.00
3 used & new from $125.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect HTPC Motherboard, December 4, 2012
So far I am very happy with this Media Series motherboard. It has all of the key features I needed for a multi-media Home Theatre PC.
Some key features:
- HDMI output.
- HD audio
- Dedicated internal header for Infrared adapter. I bought the Inteset CIR receiver.
- Low power
- Plenty of expansion through USB, SATA, PCIe

This is my forth Intel motherboard and the DH77EB has the same high level of build quality I have become accustom to. Everything has worked perfectly straight out of the box.

I am very happy with my purchase and would buy this product again.

UPDATE
======
After over four months of use it continues to perform quietly and reliably while performing much faster than my previous system. All of features worked as expected and were properly configured out of the box. When using a remote control with the CIR receiver the system shuts down and powers up with one touch. All of the media functions respond instantly and the picture quality on my 1080p TV is outstanding.

I continue to be extremely happy with this motherboard and would absolutely buy this product again.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2013 7:57 AM PDT

Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 Ultra Slim External Hard Drive Enclosure(EC-25HSU)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $12.99
28 used & new from $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but effective, November 30, 2012
If you are looking for something that is nice looking with a solid feel look elsewhere. However if what you need is a cheap and effective 2.5” enclosure that does eSATA and/or USB 2.0 this is perfect.

I bought this to house a 2.5” SSD so I could move files around quickly therefore I really needed the eSATA interface. Although this does not come with a eSATA cable it does come with two other cables. It comes with a 2:1 USB cable, this is for connecting over USB and makes sure that 2.5" drives that require extra power are supported. It also comes with a USB to power cable that pluges into the round power connector on the enclosure, this needs to be used when you connect the enclosure with eSATA.

One other consideration. This device is not designed to regularly disassemble/reassemble to change the internal 2.5” drive. Look at the center picture that shows the disassembled product and I will explain how it is assembled and why it is not suited for that type of use.
1) The plastic cover that houses the electronic portion of this product is pushed onto the SATA ports on your 2.5” drive
2) Both are slid into the metal enclosure
3) Two small tapered self-threading screws are inserted through the holes in the metal enclosure and bored into the plastic cover that houses the electronics and connectors.
These are not machine screws, the cover is not metal or pre-threaded. I suspect you will only be able to unscrew and re-bore these screws a few times before the plastic wears out. As long as you do not plan to disassemble/reassemble the enclosure frequently this will not be a problem.

The issue I note above is not a problem for me, I point it out because I know some people regularly change the drives in enclosures for diagnostic and troubleshooting.

I am very ahppy with my purchase and would buy this product again.

Lysol No-Touch Kitchen System Dish Soap Dispenser Starter Kit, Tangerine, 8.5 Ounce
Offered by Tytoona
Price: $17.50
8 used & new from $12.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought two, they both broke, November 27, 2012
At first I was very happy with my purchase; great price worked reasonably well. Then after a couple of months it started dispensing soap when no one was in the kitchen. This not only wastes soap it makes a mess with a puddle of soap on the counter. I assumed the placement of the soap dispenser was causing some false reading or perhaps I had bad batteries. After replacing the batteries multiple times and moving the soap dispenser to a few different locations with no success I gave up. I threw out the dispenser and ordered a new one. After only a couple of weeks the second dispenser started exhibiting the same behavior.

If these soap dispensers worked properly and did not dispense soap for no reason I would have rated it much higher.

I would not buy this product again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15