Profile for Chucknav > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chucknav RSS Feed

NcStar AR15 QR Weaver Mount/Cantilever Scope Mount Rear Ring/30mm and 1-Inch Inserts (MARCQ), Black
Offered by EXtreme-Tronics
Price: $29.99
8 used & new from $29.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Held up until I put it on a 308, September 11, 2012
I used this mount for a 3-9 adjustable scope that I would occasionally put on my AR 15 for longer range shooting. It worked well while I had it on the AR 15 (maybe 300 rounds). I recently bought a DPMS LR-308 and decided to sight the scope in for this rifle instead of the AR 15. About the time I got it dialed in at 200 yards and was starting to have some fun shooting, I noticed it was loose on the pic rail. After investigation, I saw the set screw had worked loose. I retightened it and tried again. It would not stay tight and had about an 1/8 inch of play that I couldn't get out. Also the little rod that holds it in place on your rail slot was also jarred loose and falling out (never happened before).

Bottom line...This mount worked well on my 5.56, but was destroyed with less than 40 rounds of .308. Not sure if it would have eventually crapped out on the AR 15 with more usage or not. I don't intend to find out because I won't be buying another.

Nikon ProStaff 3 Laser Rangefinder, Black
Nikon ProStaff 3 Laser Rangefinder, Black
Offered by WebyShops
Price: $215.00
6 used & new from $152.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected., August 31, 2012
I bought this product from Gander Mountain because they had it for about the same price as Amazon. They had many units available to try out in their store, so I got to try most of the top brands including Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell and others. Although this is not the top rangefinder out there, it does what I need, and it is well under $200 including tax or shipping. I have no need or desire to have a $400+ rangefinder. My uses are for hunting and mid-long range rifle shooting (200-600 yards). The Prostaff 3 does the job perfectly. It says "550 yard effective range" right on the top of it, but it keeps on working past that on reflective targets. So far the farthest "metal" target return I have gotten is 623 yards and I am getting "tree" returns of over 500 yards. This is better than advertised numbers...I am happy. I'm sure it will go longer distances for metal, I just haven't tried any yet.

As I said, the results of this rangefinder exceed my expectations, but the reason I bought the Nikon over the others had nothing to do with the effective range. As a matter of fact, the advertised 550 yards almost caused me not to buy it (because I wanted a 600 yard rangefinder). As I mentioned, this unit works accurately over 600 yards on "hard" targets, so don't let the 550 keep you from buying. I chose the Nikon because it had the clearest, uncluttered display. The yardage is displayed on the top in large font and is very dark black (easy to see). The yardage displays on some other brands were much smaller and at the bottom of the display and were not as readable. Also, the Nikon gave the most consistent distances with the least false returns. Most of the other rangefinders at this price point gave a lot of false returns that I had to take multiple shots to determine the distance correctly. That being said, I almost bought the Leupold (800i, I think). It did everything well and had a longer advertised range. I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $300+ for it. Some of the pricier units also had red or orange LED displays vs the black LCD displays of the cheaper ones (including the Prostaff 3), but they were all in at least the $400 range. Out of all the LCD display units, the Prostaff 3 was best, even better than the Prostaff 5, in my opinion.

If you need a rangefinder for something other than golf, don't hesitate to buy this product. Now that I know it has a range OVER 600 yards, I wouldn't have struggled as much with the decision. IMO, this is the best (under $200) rangefinder out there.