Profile for Richard Mercer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard Mercer RSS Feed (Beavercreek, OH United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Northstar 1050 HD Diamond Ripstop Series Duffle Bag (12x24 Inch, Blue)
Northstar 1050 HD Diamond Ripstop Series Duffle Bag (12x24 Inch, Blue)
Price: $17.44
2 used & new from $17.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Just About Perfect, June 21, 2014
I was looking for a simple, inexpensive gym bag and this was exactly what I wanted.
It neither retains or emits odors. I can leave it full of smelly sweaty clothes overnight, take them out the next day, and the bag is odor free after it's had time to dry out. I have sat in meetings with this bag, full of sweaty clothes, a few feet behind my chair, and a friend sitting next to me swore she didn't smell anything.

After 19 months of use (average 5 times per week), the zipper has operated smoothly and without problem, and there is no fraying or wear visible anywhere. The shoulder strap is wide and comfortable, though it does slide off more easily than I would like. No separate pockets, but if you want that I suggest a similar product from the same manufacturer.

Fizz: Nothing Is as It Seems
Fizz: Nothing Is as It Seems
by Zvi Schreiber
42 used & new from $4.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Vast Sweep of Physics History Overcomes Minor Flaws, November 21, 2012
I purchased this book as a Christmas present (not yet given) for a student of mine who intends to become a high school physics teacher, and also purchased the Kindle version so I could read it myself. Having read the book, I'm glad I made this purchase and think she will enjoy the gift. In fact I think *every* physics teacher should read it!

I am very knowledgable about physics, and very few of the physicists or their theories/discoveries featured in this book were a surprise to me. Yet I greatly enjoyed the opportunity to meet them in person! The story of physics is told through the eyes of a naive young woman from the future, inevitably with the use of a time machine. The author uses careful historical research and authenticated quotes to give a personality to each of the physicists she meets, and believe it or not, the discussions she has with them do not seem in any way artificial, dry, or boring. In spite of being aware of the physics in advance, I still learned a lot from reading it.

Don't get me wrong -- the book is not without flaws. The main character was one-dimensional, though understandably so as too much personality would have gotten in the way. It was slightly creepy knowing the young women was being written by a man more than twice her age. The ending was strange - where is an editor when you need one? Some basic orders of magnitude were out of whack to no apparent purpose, for example saying there are "trillions" of atoms in the human body when "trillions of trillions" would have been far more accurate at the cost of only a few letters, or "millions" of stars in a galaxy when "billions" is more appropriate.

But it is hard to imagine a book giving a more readable or more enjoyable overview of physics and its history, and any flaws are gladly forgiven. If you like physics, read it!

The Vault of Walt
The Vault of Walt
by Jim Korkis
28 used & new from $28.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Disney Gold, November 21, 2012
This review is from: The Vault of Walt (Paperback)
Jim Korkis knows more about All Things Disney than anyone alive, and he's a pretty good story-teller too. If you are interested in the basics of Disney folklore and trivia, there are many books you can read to get started. But in this book you will read things that not one fan of Disney history in a thousand knew before Jim Korkis put them in print. We can only hope he publishes more books of this quality.

Prepac Monterey Cherry King Storage Headboard
Prepac Monterey Cherry King Storage Headboard
Price: $139.00
10 used & new from $139.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Quality, Poor Value, October 28, 2012
VALUE: I have always wanted a headboard like this, so when I had to furnish a new apartment, I jumped at the chance to have one for under $200. But as it happened, a few weeks later I bought a Sauder bookshelf and went through a very similar experience. The Sauder item was of comparable complexity and had exactly the same shipping weight. The bookshelf was easier to assemble, looks significantly nicer, and cost $90 instead of $160. This is what I mean by poor value. I can't help but think that if I had purchased a headboard from Sauder, it would have been a better deal. Unfortunately Sauder does not list a King-size headboard on their website. Nevertheless I am happy with what I have and it looks nice.

ASSEMBLY: I had assembled a few furniture kits in the past, but not for 20 years or so, so effectively I was inexperienced. My advice is to ignore the completion times listed in the instructions for each step, and *especially* ignore completion times claimed by other reviewers. Take your time, and take as long as necessary to do it right. If it takes you 3 hours or 5 hours, that sure beats looking at the unfinished edge of the board you put in backwards for the next ten years! At each step check and double-check the alignment of the pieces, including finished/unfinished edges and location of predrilled holes. If you do make a mistake, don't panic -- most steps are reversible. (Mine turned out fine in the end.)

MINOR ISSUES: Some of the various screws turned out to be a problem. The instructions claim that a power screwdriver is not required, but I found I needed a power screwdriver for one type of screw. With another type, a power screwdriver was ineffective and they had to be done by hand. So take it slow and experiment. When assembly was complete, I was disappointed that the headboard did not reliably stand up on its own. In the end it doesn't really matter because the frame and mattress hold it up, but resting stably on the floor doesn't seem too much to ask.

Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse (Black)
Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse (Black)
10 used & new from $29.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective, October 21, 2010
I ordered one of these for my son to use with a laptop. When it arrived, the left mouse button barely worked. It took effort to click it even once, and repeated clicking just didn't work. I'm happy for those who got a good one, but for me it was just a piece of junk. I returned it and won't be trying it again.

Casio Men's Alarm Chronograph Digital Sport Watch #W96H-1AV
Casio Men's Alarm Chronograph Digital Sport Watch #W96H-1AV
Price: $16.07
12 used & new from $14.90

5.0 out of 5 stars The (Almost) Perfect Practical Watch, October 8, 2010
Main display shows time in easy-to-read large numerals, plus day-of-the-week, date, month and year(!) plus alarm settings all on one screen. Also stopwatch, alarm, and dual time modes. Battery lasts more-or-less forever. All for under $20! Only flaw is plastic strap will eventually wear out and break. I leave this watch on literally all the time, which minimizes that problem. If only it came with a leather strap... If you're looking for style, look elsewhere.

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / The Return of the King Theatrical Editions) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by North To South
Price: $33.99
33 used & new from $16.43

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn...Who Needs it?, April 6, 2010
I've been a big Lord of the Rings fan since reading the original US Ballantine Edition (c 1965).
I waited 35 years for the trilogy to be released in movie form, and as C.S. Lewis once said about the books, they were "good beyond hope".
And such a bargain! I would have ever-so-gladly paid five times what I paid to see these movies in the theatre.
I bought the theatrical version DVDs knowing full well that I would be buying extended editions several months later.
But once I did, I haven't touched the theatrical versions since.

I don't mind New Line making money. They made it all possible. But they have to provide a product I want. And I don't want Blu-Ray theatrical versions. Who would? Save your money, or get the extended version DVDs instead if you don't already have them. I'm still very happy with mine; they look great when upconverted through my Blu-Ray player.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire 2nd Edition CD-ROM for PC
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire 2nd Edition CD-ROM for PC
Offered by Greenonlinebiz Inc
Price: $4.50
100 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Experience -- Content Lacking, April 6, 2003
This game does as well as it can to replicate the TV experience. Regis' voice and videos, lifelines just as on the show, the whole works. But you'd better enjoy it, because the "replay value" is minimal. There are only about 600 questions here, and that means that after about 20 games, you will be seeing a lot of repeat questions, enough to really spoil the fun.
On a CD there should be room for many thousands of questions. But the use of audio files for the "phone-a-friend" lifeline likely eats up a lot of the available space. If they were all authentic, some people might judge it worthwhile. But most of them seem to be the silly "psychic hotline" responses, and these are definitely not worth it.
At ..., it still makes sense for fans of the show to give this a shot -- just be aware that you'll only get a week or two of enjoyment out of it. If you want a larger database of questions, consider the board game at ..., which *does* have several thousand questions.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Beyond Hope, December 19, 2001
"Good Beyond Hope" -- This was the featured quote from C.S. Lewis on the back cover of the Ballantine paperback pubication in 1965, and it applies to the first film as well. Of course there are differences between the book and the film; but they are in general tasteful choices and in some cases (dare I say it?) improvements. This film is not a replacement for the book, but a very, very welcome companion to it. I watched it through a veil of tears, and I think many Ring fans will do the same. It's that good.

Miss Congeniality
Miss Congeniality
DVD ~ Sandra Bullock
Offered by SOUTHWEST MEDIA
Price: $9.99
409 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Movie average; Bullock great!, November 8, 2001
This review is from: Miss Congeniality (DVD)
OK, it's nothing special as a movie; the word "fluff" says it all. Even the FBI is portrayed as fluff. The story is so hackneyed that ALL the roles are one-dimensional, but fortunately seasoned actors (Caine, Bergen, Shatner, etc.) milk some substance out of them.
Sandra Bullock is wonderful in this film. I barely knew who she was, but by the end of the film I was a big fan. She makes it all worthwhile. She could have played the part opposite cardboard cutouts and made it worth watching. (Unfortunately the male lead is only slightly better than a cutout.) I just hope she can get ahold of a better script than this one for her next film.

Page: 1 | 2