Profile for Dao Lam > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dao Lam RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Velcro: The Green Lion (The Ninja Kat Book 2)
Velcro: The Green Lion (The Ninja Kat Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book!, April 1, 2014
Velcro: the Green Lion is an action-packed story that follows Velcro: the Ninja Kat. It continues the story of Velcro with more characters such as Vini the talking plant and Shiki the magician. Compared to the first book, there are more twists and turns in this book. It is an interesting journey of Velcro's plan to fight against the Dark Corps. She has gained some power in this book and performed it magnificently in the end. Regardless, as this is a continuation of the journey, I am looking forward to more books to come.

The reason I only give this book a 4-star rating is the language. There are words which may be unsuitable for young children. In my opinion, it is more suitable for teens and beyond.

The Cuckoo's Calling (A Cormoran Strike Novel)
The Cuckoo's Calling (A Cormoran Strike Novel)
by Robert Galbraith
Price: $18.55
402 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!, July 20, 2013
As my luck has it, I've read some incredible books lately. Also, as you might have known, the J.K. Rowling published a book under a pen name Robert Galbraith. "The Cuckoo's Calling" is a book not just for reading but for studying the art of writing novels. This is a very unusual book with all elements of a good novel rolling in one:

1. The main character: Cormoran Strike is memorable as a main character with flaws. He also has a decorated past that we only see the surface thus far in this book. Also, he has an uncommon name, which is what people are aiming for these days when they write novels.

2. The descriptions: excellent descriptions of clothings in this story makes me think the writer should be female (although the name in the cover said otherwise.) Beautifully-written descriptions everywhere in this book tend to slow down the pacing a lot but I didn't mind. This book is meant to read one word at a time, not one page at a glance of an eye.

3. The prose: beautiful, beautiful melodic prose in this story. It's unusual to read books like this nowadays with the market full of fast-pace adrenaline pumping thrillers. As I mentioned earlier, you need to digest the book slowly. Its beauty lies in many ways but the prose surely is one of them.

4. The old-fashion detective story: there's no doubt about it, this book is purely about good ole fashion detective work. Think of Holmes written by Conan Doyle minus the "pray tell" at the end of Sherlock's question. I've read so many of those that I can almost always get the ending about halfway (or even a third) through a book. But not this one. It has a big twist at the end that made me think, "I didn't see that one coming!"

Through and through, "The Cuckoo's Calling" is a great book. I have gained new respect for Ms. Rowling with the use of a pen name. This book, thus far, is the best she's written. Since I can't compare it to the Potter series, I can only do so with "The Casual Vacancy" which it beats by many miles. In retrospect, I think the only element that might hinder sales before it was revealed that Ms. Rowling was behind all this was the cover. It is plain and not very catchy.

If you have to read a book this summer, please read this book. It's a great one!

Velcro: The Ninja Kat
Velcro: The Ninja Kat

5.0 out of 5 stars Velcro: The Ninja Kat is entertaining!, September 8, 2012
I first started reading VELCRO: THE NINJA KAT while traveling. It proves to be an enjoyable companion for the trip. This short novel is the first installment of the Velcro: the Ninja Kat series and I hope there will be more it come. It tells the story of Velcro, a cat who seeks revenge of her father's death. Velcro has some really awesome martial arts skills and the fighting scenes are interesting to read. Since this is the beginning of a new series, there are a lot of set-up pieces, information, and back stories. However, the author is wonderful in creating the Ninja Kat world as well as to personify the the animal characters in this story. This is a wonderful beginning of a new series and I am looking forward to more upcoming books from the author.

The Prospect of My Arrival (2nd Edition)
The Prospect of My Arrival (2nd Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read!, July 8, 2012
I downloaded THE PROSPECT OF MY ARRIVAL when it was free for Kindle Fire users. This book won the 2008 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and after that many years, it is still selling. This is a sci-fi novel about Prospect, a pre-life individual who got a chance to experience life before he decided to be born into the world. The concept and execution of this story are both wonderful and the twist at the end left me gasping for air. I'm glad to have a chance to read it and I can't wait for Dwight Okita's second book to come out.

The Perfect Crime
The Perfect Crime

2.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Crime, May 15, 2012
This review is from: The Perfect Crime (Kindle Edition)
I purchased "The Perfect Crime" by Les Edgerton when it was available for free download on Kindle Fire. Since I just bought my KF, I was happy to have some books to read. I could not finish this book at all. The story was not interesting, the characters sounded like cookie-cutter images. There were grammatical errors as well. On top of that, the author made several mistakes of reiterate details that already stated not so long ago. This book was such a drag to me that I had to put it down and move on to another book. I would not recommend "The Perfect Crime" to anybody since there are better books that we can all download for free from Amazon.com.

Canon G12 10 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.8 Inch Vari-Angle LCD
Offered by Electromax
Price: $605.00
31 used & new from $194.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my G12!, January 18, 2011
I've been a fan of Canon PowerShot. The first one I used was A200 that I borrowed from my friend before buying the A590 two years ago. While I love my A590, I find it difficult to take pictures in low lightning. When I set foot to get a new camera, I was debating between G12 and S95. The two of them have very similar specs, except S95 is smaller and has aperture priority starting at 2.0. However, when I went to Best Buy to take some test shots, the S95 is too small for me. I felt like I could drop it at any moment. Also, I took about 10 shots and about 3 of them were blurry. With the same specs, the G12 did not even fail to take a blurry photo. The images were sharp and it felt right in my hands, despite a bit heavier than my A590. Still, I debated on whether I should get the G12 until I saw it on sale. At the time I purchased it, G12 was slightly cheaper than S95! I ordered it with 1 day shipping and it arrived promptly.

As soon as I took it out of the box, I immediately began to play with it. The G12 is very user-friendly. I tested it under my very bad indoor lightning and it did not fail to take good pictures. Among the 300+ photos I took until the battery ran out, I only found 1 or 2 out of focus pictures. The colors are true and the pictures look very artistic. A lot of people who saw my pictures were surprised at the quality. The extra features such as color swap, fish eyes, and miniature mode are nice and also very easy to use. I took some portraits and my skin looked so smooth.

Despite it being a bulky camera, the G12 is the best camera I've ever used. Again and again, I keep on recommending Canon to people who are looking for new cameras. Although the battery life needs improvement and the lens can be a bit faster, the G12 is a beast. Even in very low lightning and the lens about 1cm to the object, this camera manages to produce some unbelievably sharp pictures. It's like I don't even have to do the work! All I need to do is to click a button. Yes, it's THAT amazing!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
by J. K. Rowling
Price: $22.46
2060 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The story went full circle, July 21, 2007
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" probably is the best book written by JK Rowling so far. The book shows Rowling's maturity as a writer. Unlike "HP and the Order of the Phoenix", the language used in this book is cleaner and the use of vulgar terms was diminished to almost none. Following the trend set from book 4 ("Goblet of Fire"), the book is dark and somewhat violent but Rowling also managed to keep her readers up on their toes.

In this installment, Harry, Ron, and Hermione continued their friendship and loyalty to each other while they continued the mission Professor Dumbledore gave them before he passed away. Also, some secrets about Dumbledore's past emerged in this book which threw a major curve-ball to me as I followed through the story. Many small characters in the previous books also emerged and finally we get to discover who the secret R.A.B is as well as the fate of the locker.

After 10 years and 7 books later, the Harry Potter epic saga is finally over. The ending of this book is a happy and satisfied to me. I will sure feel sad as the series came to an end but nevertheless, rereading the series is always an option.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)
by J. K. Rowling
Price: $22.25
1786 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: The Best of the Series so Far, July 17, 2005
I spent about 5 hours last night and 4 hours today reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. It is a good book and there is no doubt about it. I like the way J.K Rowling developed her character from an 11 year old to a 16 year old teenager. Harry Potter has become braver and more grown up. He lost his temper tantrum that he developed in year 5. He is more independent and as a 16 y/o teenager, he starts to develop the admiration in the opposite sex. Ron and Hermione as always are his trustworthy and loyal friends. They both grow up nicely and do things that normal 16 year old teenagers would do: fall in love for the wrong person at the wrong reason.

There is a new character in this book and instead of the tradiontial plot that a new teacher would fill the Dark Art position, this professor teaches Potion. So Snape got promoted to another position. Draco Malfoy became more involved in the dark side and the relationship between Harry and Malfoy was a rocky one. Meanwhile the Weasley twins were doing fine in their joke shop business at Zonko's.

Although the half blood Prince did not directly involve in the story, his background is kind of a surprise and a big twist in the story. From this book one thing I can learn for sure is you'll never know how a kid will become when he or she grows up. Take Lord Voldermort as an example. He has a wicked trait since he was a kid and grew up to be You-Know-Who. On the other hand, the half blood Prince was kind of a good person who at the end turned bad. The result all came from their mind tortures of trying to be pure blood wizards. All the spells that the half-blood Prince used backfired on him as Harry Potter got the book and learned about them. Some spells are very dark and almost lethal.

This book also marked the returns of many characters from book 4 and 5: professor Lupin, Tonks, Fleur Delacour, Bellatrix Lestrange, and Narcissa Malfoy. Also there is a new Minister of Magic who in a sense is worse than the old one.

The ending was very sad because the one very important character died. I suspected it would happen before I read the book and boy oh boy I was right. After his dead I think Harry Potter will be more matured and eventually destroy Voldermort in book 7. He knew Voldermort childhood and secrets but it will be an adventurous journey for Harry Potter to fulfill his destiny.

Book 6 is unbelievably good, the best of all of the Harry Potter series so far in my opinion. J.K Rowling did not use profanities in this book, a big difference from book 5. I'm looking forward to reading book 7 and I guess it will be about 1000 pages total because it will content a lot of events.

The Emancipation of Mimi
The Emancipation of Mimi
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $10.56
235 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, June 22, 2005
I was skeptical about Mariah's new album until I heard her sing "We Belong Together" in Letterman. All the time my mouth was hanging open and I could not breath. Mariah looked so beautiful and the song was a breath taker. Then I decided to shell out my money and went to Target to get the CD on the first day of release, the thing I had never done before. And to tell the truth, I was not dissapointed at all. The tracks in the CD are very personal, especially the ballads that she sings. It was deep to hear Mariah sing "We Belong Together" especially if you're in or out of love. It's like she's talking about you or to you. Other great tracks are "It's like that", "Get your number", "Circles", "Your girl", and "Fly like a bird" which is very inspirational to me. For other songs I would get tired after hearing for about 2 or 3 straight days but "Mimi" has been in the CD player in my car for a while.

Personally I think "Mimi" is a success because Mariah felt happier in her life, after all those troubles she got from Sony and her ex-husband. The photographs in her CD shows it all. Just compare her frustrated face on the cover of "Charmbracelet" and the proud and glowy one on "Mimi". It does not take an expert to tell how a woman feels. I'm so glad for her that she finally puts herself together.

To all those haters: I'm not a music executive, I'm a poor student who having a CD is a luxury. And I bought Mariah's "The Emancipation of Mimi" because it is undeniably good!

Denise Austin - Power Yoga Plus [VHS]
Denise Austin - Power Yoga Plus [VHS]
VHS
Offered by antelopone2
55 used & new from $0.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really Yoga, January 19, 2005
"Power Yoga Plus" by Denise Austin is not really yoga. It has two workouts: the first workout is called "Power Yoga" and the second one is "Power Pilates". Each part is about 20 minutes with an introduction at the beginning. I find the power yoga part to be fast as Denise does not allow enough time for the pose to sink in. She barely gives instructions before each pose, making it hard to follow. She does not give modifications for each poses either. The pilates part is quite similar to that in the Mat workout based on JH Pilates. And again she does not give instructions before poses. I would suggest you to get Gaiam's "Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss" by Suzanne Deason. In the DVD, you can choose the options to have modified poses and different instructors. For Pilates, my suggestion is Winsor Pilates because Marie Winsor explains better.

Page: 1 | 2