Profile for A. Oertel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Oertel "Wood Guy" RSS Feed (Illinois)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sony ICFC1PJ Alarm Clock Radio
Sony ICFC1PJ Alarm Clock Radio
Offered by redonedeal
Price: $79.89
22 used & new from $23.99

2.0 out of 5 stars It's so small because..., December 18, 2014
One of the things l liked about this unit was it's small footprint until I found out why. It does not have a conventional AC plug. Instead it has a huge transformer (aka a "wall wart") on the end which makes it impossible to thread through the cord holder on my night stand. The cord does not unplug from radio end like many other items and is hard wired into the unit. To get it to work, I would have had to cut the wire, thread it through the cord holder and splice it back together. No thank you.

InSinkErator QCB-AM Anti-Microbial Quiet Collar Sink Baffle, Black
InSinkErator QCB-AM Anti-Microbial Quiet Collar Sink Baffle, Black
Price: $11.58
31 used & new from $5.70

4.0 out of 5 stars This is so much better than the old baffles because this one comes completely ..., September 18, 2014
This is so much better than the old baffles because this one comes completely out of the drain with a simply tug making it a snap to clean or if you need to retrieve something from teh disposal. The only complaint as others have said it that it drains very slowly unless you enlarge the two little vent holes with scissors or an exacto knife. They are a fraction of the size you see in the picture so unless you modify them, which takes all of 5 minutes, the sink drains very slowly.

Fluidmaster 400AK Complete Toilet Tank Repair Kit
Fluidmaster 400AK Complete Toilet Tank Repair Kit
Price: $19.06
50 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install if you read instructiion, August 13, 2014
I was a little put off by some of the negative reviews but ordered it anyway and was glad I did. It was easy to install and I was done, start to finish in about 90 minutes. If you've done this sort of thiing before it will help but is not absolutely necessary. Some people complain there are only two bolts, but the instructoins clearly state if you have a three bolt tank you should reuse one of the old bolts which are brass anyway. All parts are clearly labeled and my only complaint is that the replacement flush handle is very cheap and looks like it. However I simply reused the handle and lever I had which worked great. If you have never done this before, just sit down and read the directions FIRST before you start. Leave yourself plenty of time and proceed slowly. You'll be glad you did.

Songs From St. Somewhere
Songs From St. Somewhere
Offered by Goldlight
Price: $7.92
70 used & new from $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the Buffett-phile, August 8, 2014
Standard Jimmy Buffett fare. Don't worry if you don't hear these on top 40, but if you're a Jimmy devotee, you 'll need this for your collection

Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS
Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS
Price: $171.20
111 used & new from $167.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning curve, but simple to use once you use it for a few days., August 8, 2014
I ordered this in anticipation of a mission trip to Nicaragua but that has been postponed until January where I will need to record location information out in the boonies. Instead, I tried it out on our trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. Like everyone says, there is a learning curve. To really use it, you need to get it out of the box and play with it. My best learning experiences were after I had carried it around hiking for a day, then sitting down and watching You Tube videos from other people who had used it too. In fact, the Wife said I was paying more attention to it, than I was to her, but what the heck, it was my birthday. You can expect significant differences in elevation readings since it is barometric pressure based. I went to the same spot in the mountains on two separate days and got elevation readings that differed by 50 ft or so. One day was high barometric pressure with sunny blue skies, and the next day was cold, snowy and rainy. Granted, these elevations I used to measure my elevation were around 12,000 ft. or so, but it always seemed to be consistent within that range. My daily readings where I was staying, varied around 8200 to 8250 or so. It will get you in the ball park, but it is not a substitute for an expensive GPS unless you need absolute accuracy and precision.

BAFX Products® - 2 Pack - Anti Shock Hiking / Walking / Trekking Trail Poles - 1 Pair
Offered by BAFX Products
Price: $23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good study poles, easily adjustable, August 8, 2014
After we loaned out our old set to friends who lost them, I wanted new poles for our vacation. They work great and are very adjustable.. Was a little worried about the springs, but they don't interfere and only provide marginal shock absorption. Just FYI, a "2 pack" means you only get two poles; it does not mean they are a "set". If there are two of you and you want two poles each, you will need to order two "2 packs".

Kreg KMS8000 Precision Trak and Stops Kit
Kreg KMS8000 Precision Trak and Stops Kit
Price: $124.00
17 used & new from $124.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system with a few minor quibbles, August 8, 2014
I really, really like this system. Contrary to some reviews, I found it rock solid and simple to install. Perhaps it varies on your own particular skill level. As with anything, there is "some assembly required." You must drill your own mounting holes and if you want the screw heads flush, you must bore your own countersinks as well. The holes can be drilled by hand, but you really need a center punch and a drill press to do a good job. These are not requirements, but it's much easier if you do both. The had two issues with the hardware. The kit I ordered only came with the metric tapes but one email to customer service resolved that and I had new tapes in a couple of days. The other issue is with the clear plastic pieces that magnify the numerals on the tape. They fit anywhere from extremely tight to sloppy-loose in the aluminum holders but seem to stay put once I tightened them down. The other item I would recommend is that Kreg make this kit available with either two or four extruded aluminum rails. I use mine on either side of my chop saw which has a pretty wide base to start with so I only needed a 2 ft. extension on either end. The other two extensions are just sitting there waiting for another use. So all those little issues aside, I think it works great. Smooth operation, great finish and it offers you precision and accuracy you just can't get with anything else homemade or shop built.

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $5.70

3.0 out of 5 stars LIke it will never end, August 6, 2014
LIke it will never end. The most tedious of the books, but if you're hooked and you've read book 2 and want to read book 4, you have to choice but to plow through it and keep going.

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars If you've made it this far in the series, you might as well read Book 5, May 20, 2014
I started reading the series over a year ago and only read a few page a day, so it seems like I've been reading this series forever. GRRM could have made just as much money off of the franchise by using half the words, but what the heck. If you've suffered through the Red Wedding, delighted youself in Jofferey's wedding and plodded through Book 4 Feast for Crows, then Dance With Dragons will utterly thrill you. GRRM, you got me hooked. In for a penny, in for a pound as they say.

Norpro 1 Gallon Ceramic Compost Keeper, White
Norpro 1 Gallon Ceramic Compost Keeper, White
Price: $23.27
40 used & new from $18.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice but there's better options. IMHO, May 4, 2014
I've used this for a couple of years but am getting rid if it. I use the degradable liners to keep it less messy but the problem is that it has an inner rim that makes removing the bag very difficult when it's nearly full. I'd going to look for something in stainless steel with a snug fitting lid that I think will work better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3