Profile for Michael A. Duvernois > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 962

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael A. Duvernois RSS Feed (Madison, WI)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Black Flag Refillable Mouse Bait Station, Includes 16 Baits
Black Flag Refillable Mouse Bait Station, Includes 16 Baits
Price: $9.97
3 used & new from $9.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Works good in sheds and the like, but I'd avoid it in the house, December 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This works well for a low-level protection against mice in small sheds and inside the garage. There is one bait station and 16 baits to install in the station. I used one of these last winter in a small shed by the garage. I replaced the bait several times during the mouse season, each time finding the previous bait partly eaten. Not sure where the dead mice ended up, so I'd probably not use this in a house where you could end up with dead mice in the walls.

The toxin used is a bromethalin which is a neurotoxin broadly dangerous to all animals, not just rodents. You'd want to make sure household pets don't get into either the bait or the poisoned mice.

The Glow of Paris: The Bridges of Paris at Night
The Glow of Paris: The Bridges of Paris at Night
by Gary Zuercher
Price: $34.78
10 used & new from $30.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed study of the bridges of Paris at night, December 22, 2014
This is a very particular, tightly focused work of photography, capturing the illuminated Ponts de Paris with few distractions, few human elements aside from the very human-scale architecture of the bridges. I'm familiar with the bridges both in day light and at night, but not as seen this way with few people and few vehicles. The gorgeous illumination of the bridges a few hours after I went to sleep is something to behold.

The pre-publication copy of the book that I reviewed (a free copy in exchange for an honest review) was unfinished, but the photos were printed on good quality paper. The book is a marriage of the photography and extensive research into the bridges' pasts. I learned a lot about the bridges that I would casually cross when visiting Paris. No justification is needed for centering such a work on the bridges, they seem like characters on their own as well as means of connection between the two sides of the river, and between the classical architecture of Paris and our modern lives in the city of lights.

GROHE 26126000  Retro-Fit Bundle Power&Soul Shower head and Hand Shower
GROHE 26126000 Retro-Fit Bundle Power&Soul Shower head and Hand Shower
Offered by SMART HOME
Price: $611.10
2 used & new from $509.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice shower fixture!, December 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Grohe is a mid-to-upper tier European plumbing supplier. In a previous home, I had had a Grohe pot filling faucet near the stove. It was a nice, solid piece of hardware. This renovation setup dual shower head for the bathroom is a little less solid in feel, but still pretty hefty and well-built when you first examine it. We went with this to install in our master bathroom as a replacement for a fairly generic, and quite plasticky, shower fixture. The house is recent, so plumbing work is pretty easy with standardized parts, and not a lot of adapting needed. This mated quite easily to the existing plumbing with just a 1/2" NPT nipple and teflon pipe tape for the plumbing end of things. We spent a while thinking about the mechanical mounting since it definitely will mount (somewhat) differently than the existing fixture which was fed from one wall and had the hand shower on the other wall. We figured that out after some measuring, and finished the install. Figure on a good part of a day with one trip to the hardware store.

Probably at this price, many folks will have a professional install it, but it's completely reasonable as a DIY item. Get some additional confidence, and see the differences between a number of very similar setups, at Grohe's website which does have a US section. Includes CAD drawings if you're doing a full redesign of your bathroom... The price is a bit steep which is my primary reason for docking a star. For the money, it could be even heavier and nicer...

iPhone 6 Frame Case - JukeGear Apple iPhone 6 Protective Rim - Ultra Slim Premium Bumper Ring for iPhone 6 with 4.7" Screen - White / Clear - (JBumP6MWH)
Offered by Jukegear
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, nice design bumper case, December 16, 2014
There is no case as simple as a bumper around the perimeter of the phone. It's the simplest and lightest of cases. Over the years with a couple of different iPhones I've generally stuck to either no case or a thin bumper like this one. It protects the edge of the phone which I've found to be vulnerable in bumps and also keeps the screen slightly off of the table surface when it's upside down. There's little extra weight or size when using this bumper case.

The quality is decent and the style is nice and minimal, there's not much that can be said against it!

I received this item free of charge in exchange for an honest review. And the bumper is staying on my iPhone 6!

MeasuPro DCT350 Instant Read Programmable Digital Cooking Thermometer with Stainless Steel Probe, White
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $24.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent oven meat thermometer, December 16, 2014
This is intended as a meat thermometer for oven use with a magnetic back for hooking to the oven, or it can fold and be visible upright on the counter next to the oven. The magnet didn't hold too well on the stainless steel of my oven, but otherwise the ergonomics worked just fine. A more general purpose kitchen thermometer (one for deep frying and candy making as well) would naturally be that much more useful, but roasted meats are high value items that are easy to seriously overcook.

The thermometer has pre-programmed settings for various meats and doneness, though I'd caution the user to just read off the temperatures and think them through. The turkey temperature, for example, is far too high for a nice, juicy bird. And the definition of rare beef for this thermometer is also somewhat high. (These might represent USDA food safety numbers rather than tasty food numbers.)

I received this item free of charge in exchange for an honest review.

MulchLock HG-16000 1 Count Mulch-Lock, 1.5-Gallon
MulchLock HG-16000 1 Count Mulch-Lock, 1.5-Gallon
Price: $24.97
8 used & new from $18.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it is, glue for mulch where it can wash away otherwise, December 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I feel weird reviewing this product in the winter in Wisconsin. It's a staple for summer work with mulch around trees and at the top of our rock wall. This is great stuff, simply spray it on and the mulch holds together and doesn't wash away. The labeling says that it starts to hold immediately and reaches maximum strength in 24-48 hours. It's always seemed pretty strong within a few hours. It does leave some white residue where you use more than a small amount. It's a thin glue, right?

It works best for spots in which the mulch is going to travel if it isn't hooked together a bit. Wouldn't use this on just expanses of mulch that didn't wash (or were exposed to really strong winds, we don't have that here where I live). Claimed to hold for a year, and that seems believable, have generally been adding mulch and respraying on a similar time scale.

iPhone 6 Case - JukeGear [Scratch Resistant] Apple iPhone 6 Cover 4.7 Inch - [Grip Series] Hybrid Case / Cover with TPU Bumper -Gray / Clear- (JCurP6MGR)
Offered by Jukegear
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, basic design case for the iPhone 6, December 16, 2014
This is an excellent iPhone case, especially for the money. I have had a variety of cases on my iPhones over the years, and tend towards the thinnest and lightest of cases which provide some scratch protection at the back and bump protection around the edge. I don't need a bright color or pattern for the phone. It's a minimalist phone design and the case goes along with it. Right now this JukeGear case is on my partner's phone and she's been liking it more than another low cost, but definitely cheaper feeling, bumper case.

If there are any issues, I'll update this listing, for the last couple of weeks the case has been in use on my phone and then my partner's and it looks the same as new. The $40 cases are hard to justify when good, solid protective cases are less than $10.

I received this item free of charge, and am giving an honest review of it.

AYL® Silicone Heat Resistant Grilling BBQ Gloves Set: #1 Best Value ★ Perfect For Use As Cooking Gloves, Baking, Smoking, Or Potholder ★ For Use on Hot Food in High Temperature In The Kitchen, Use As Grilling Gloves, Oven Gloves, Or Even Camping! ★ Protect Your Hands And Avoid Accidents With Insulated Waterproof Five Fingered Grip ★ Far More Protection And Easier to Use Than Oven Mittens!
Offered by Accessorise Your Life
Price: $54.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A different take on the heat resistant gloves, December 15, 2014
I've been using these for barbeque duty recently as well as oven duties. We use silicone pans and silicone scrappers at high temperature, but our oven mitts are often cotton that scorches and which burns through relatively easily. These silicone gloves let you grab hot pans with a fairly thin glove and have good control. The paperwork and the amazon listing mentions 425F maximum temperature, but I bake bread in a cast iron pot in a 500F oven and the gloves work fine pulling that pot out of the oven. If you look up silicone rubber you'll find mentions of 572F (300C). Am not recommending that, but the pair I have does work for baking. Haven't tried it with the pizza oven...

The gloves wash up in the dishwasher (which seems weird when you see them in there, but it works fine), have no aroma, and have small bumps for added grip. I'm a big guy and they fit my hands just fine for a couple of minutes of use. Wouldn't talk about comfort for such a short time, not like winter gloves.

I received these gloves free of cost, in exchange for an unbiased review.

iDevices IGR0009 iGrill2 Bluetooth Thermometer
iDevices IGR0009 iGrill2 Bluetooth Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for winter grilling, December 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I live in Wisconsin, but like to grill with the grill sitting on the breezeway, and myself popping outside from time to time to check on the food. This thermometer works brilliantly in letting me monitor a pair of temperatures from inside (the unit supports up to four thermometers, and ships with two of them). I did my first test run with a pork tenderloin being smoked (apple wood) out on the breezeway while my iPhone kept track of the temperature of the roast from indoors. It worked very smoothly. Details below...

Setup: With my iPhone it took just a minute to download the app onto my phone. I turned on the grill thermometer and the app spotted the bluetooth device and asked to pair. Once paired, I got continuous temperature data to my phone. In the app, you can set temperature alarms based on temperatures or meat type and doneness. The temperature can also be graphed. It was all working within a couple of minutes and the probe was monitoring the pork tenderloin right afterwards.

I didn't immediate spot where additional thermometers could be purchased, but on the other hand it's hard to imagine many sensible uses of more than two channels at a time. You might say, "steaks with different doneness requests" but you need to take the rare out sooner, and you can move the probe over easily enough. Anyway...I like this system, you're paying for convenience for sure, this is a pretty expensive way of measuring a couple of temperatures, but it works well.

Tomcat Kill and Contain Mouse Trap
Tomcat Kill and Contain Mouse Trap
Price: $7.99
4 used & new from $7.17

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a better mousetrap, December 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are pretty expensive if you consider them disposable. Of course they can be reused, just drop the mouse out of it, and rebait it if necessary. Just not sure what advantage these traps have over other styles. A captured mouse is partly hidden (and probably the wound would be mostly hidden) and they fit nicely in confined spaces. I deployed this pair of traps in a small outdoor plastic shed and confirmed that they work as mousetraps. But really am not sure how they're better...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20