Profile for Mark Nielsen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Nielsen RSS Feed

Classy Kitty Tunnel Tower 25 in.
Classy Kitty Tunnel Tower 25 in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality scratching post, May 27, 2013
This scratching post is made of cheap materials in every respect. The carpet sheds little cloth pieces almost immediately upon contact with the cat's claws. The nylon weave under it also breaks down into 3 inch long white strands. A cat could eat these pieces (my cat was chewing on them) and do their system no good.

The pole is light plastic, with no heft at all and it is attached to the base with a single central screw which will not tighten to full capacity. As a result, the pole is mobile and loose in the socket. The base is made of pressed particle board. However, I won't complain about that because this choice of a cheap material doesn't make much difference in the direct performance of the post. They have succeeded on the level of making an adequately functioning board designed to sit on the ground.

Do not buy this item. There are slightly more expensive scratching posts on Amazon that are much better engineered and produced than this mistake in physical form.

If you can't afford or won't buy the slightly more expensive scratching posts which are available, get an inexpensive flat cardboard scratcher (or use the cardboard inserts for other systems just by themselves). They don't take up much space and the investment is minimal. My cat loves them and they are a great alternative.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 2:47 PM PDT

Outdoor Research Men's Adrenaline Gloves
Outdoor Research Men's Adrenaline Gloves
Price: $47.70 - $200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gloves for price, October 14, 2011
This won't be a comprehensive review, because the season doesn't warrant glove wearing yet, so I can't speak to how warm (or not warm) they are. I do have some comments based on my first impressions, though.

These gloves are true to fit according to Amazon's sizing charts. My hands are "large" in the sense that they are just on the upper edge between the "large" and the lower edge of the "extra large" category. This made me nervous that I had chosen the correct size when I chose "large" for my shipment. Size-wise, the gloves are precisely as advertised in respect to size and fit to form.

These gloves are attractive and well made. I chose the all black version and am well pleased.

I tried glove liners (bought separately) which I plan to use to increase hand warmth on particularly cold days, and the gloves were only marginally tighter... they are, I estimate, with good liners, still flexible enough to use one's hands for most basic activities.

Previously, I ordered another brand of mid-price gloves on the Internet and they were the opposite of this pair in every respect (ill-fitting, unattractive colors, and cramped).

I think that Outdoor Research is a good brand for mid-priced winter wear (I also have an OR hat) in that they are true to fit and seem to be well enough crafted. I don't think these pieces necessarily match the premium gear that's out there, but these gloves are better made than most ready-to-wear stuff that's more readily available. These gloves are, in my opinion worth the extra few bucks, for fit alone.

Alki'i Plush heavy gauge mens/womens warm beanie snowboarding winter hats - 6 colors

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable one size fits all hat, September 24, 2011
Look elsewhere on Amazon and the 'Net and you'll find many hats that seem promising but stand on the side of "kind of expensive". This particular hat is a good deal because of its low price and value as a one size fits all.

I tried another one-size-fits-all hat that I previously ordered over the Internet, and it was way too small for my (admittedly expansive) noggin. This hat fits better and looks better. There is a small degree of stretch in the weave which helps it to fit on craniums of different sizes and orders, but this is no fancy high tech material... it is more reminiscent of the hats of my youth in the 1970s/1980s.

The hat is cozy, but I can't speak to its effectiveness in extreme conditions, simply because I haven't tried it out in hard weather. I think it at least would be effective under most moderate autumn and winter climes.

SOFT LEATHER CASE SMALL
SOFT LEATHER CASE SMALL

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, attractive case, August 16, 2009
This review is from: SOFT LEATHER CASE SMALL
I actually am using one of these as an inexpensive (and not unattractive) way to corral the cords on my window blinds. However, seeing how well the item is made, I am buying an additional one to store my collection of small dice. In my opinion, it would be useful for the storage of small sturdy items, but there is no hard internal reinforcement, so items that are brittle or fragile (such as pencils or pens) might not be protected (if stepped or sat on). On the other hand, the soft leather of its substance is both functional and attractive.

Noisy Songs for Noisy Kids
Noisy Songs for Noisy Kids
8 used & new from $10.88

4.0 out of 5 stars "Noisy songs" accurate title, February 15, 2009
These days, heavy metal is splintered into many genres and sub-genres that run from melodic to abrasive, inspired to formulaic, and simple to profound. Now one can add "silly" and "fun" to that dynamic.

This CD is kid friendly metal (song lyrics include: an ode to dirt, a musical reminder to be polite to others, and an encouragement to eat one's vegetables) with shouted vocals and brief, kinetic songs. In some respects the music is closer to a child's version of well produced punk or hardcore music than the complexities that modern or classic heavy metal may involve.

If your kid has a lot of pent up energy, this album may be a good way to help him or her express it in a positive way. However, I guess it is possible that some kids may be overwhelmed by the guitar noise and shouted vocals and miss the fun.

Still, as it's a brief listen, it might be okay to let them hear it at least once and let them decide if its their thing. I think I would have loved this CD as a kid.

Shot to Hell
Shot to Hell
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $11.43
83 used & new from $1.59

3.0 out of 5 stars More Book of Shadows than Hangover Music, November 4, 2006
This review is from: Shot to Hell (Audio CD)
There has been much made here of how this album is not as intense as some Black Label Society CDs. I would agree that is the case. However, some of the best songs of BLS have always been the ballads. Zakk is a fine rock songwriter no matter if he chooses to slow things down or not.

Speaking of the album in question (Shot to Hell), however, the songwriting is not as tight as on some previous albums. Bluntly put, I find this work to be mostly an inferior copy of what has gone before.

For casual or new listeners, I suggest picking up 'Mafia' if you like BLS's rockers and 'Hangover Music' if you prefer the ballads.

This album isn't a total wash and I will listen to it in the future, but what it does best is point the listener to the rest of Black Label Society's excellent back catalogue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2009 3:49 PM PDT

Duel
Duel
by Richard Matheson
Price: $12.87
78 used & new from $1.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what it is marketed as, July 23, 2003
This review is from: Duel (Paperback)
Besides the title story (written in the early seventies) these are essentially science fiction stories written in the 1950's (rather than the straight horror that the book's cover seems to indicate). While these stories are fascinating as a product of their time, don't expect them to read as anything other than very dated.
Matheson does include an element of horror in each story and that is generally the least dated, most successful aspect. If you don't mind the seriously lame 50's B movie sci fi trappings and the humorously outdated mores that appear in this collection, you can really see why Matheson would come to be a well regarded horror writer in later days.