Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more
Profile for R. Smith > Reviews

Browse

R. Smith's Profile

Customer Reviews: 164

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Smith "New Mom!" RSS Feed (United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Around the Fire: Recipes for Inspired Grilling and Seasonal Feasting from Ox Restaurant
by Greg Denton
Price: $21.87
68 used & new from $16.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee Table Book, but Recipes Are More Sophisticated Than I would Prepare on a Regular Basis, April 13, 2016
This is an absolutely gorgeous book. Full page photographs, and lots of them. I would definitely place it in the coffee table book category. I found the information at the beginning about the different types of grills, about Argentinian cooking, and just general grilling 101 type information to be really well written, both interesting and informative, particularly not being familiar with the authors and their style previously. As far as actual "cookability" of the recipes, I can't say that most of them are something that I would actually get my grill out and prepare; there is definitely a 'style' to the recipes that is a bit more sophisticated than I'm going to be preparing regularly, but I did enjoy learning from the cookbook, and perusing the photos! I received the book free for my honest review.

Tasting Rome: Fresh Flavors and Forgotten Recipes from an Ancient City
Tasting Rome: Fresh Flavors and Forgotten Recipes from an Ancient City
by Katie Parla
Price: $20.12
66 used & new from $14.46

4.0 out of 5 stars especially combined into a beautiful book with gorgeous photography, March 29, 2016
Having never visited Rome, but loving both cookbooks and travel, especially combined into a beautiful book with gorgeous photography, I was interested in Tasting Rome. It didn't disappoint in those areas. Even the inside front and back covers are full spread photographs, and there are many full page photos, both close-ups and photos of the whole dish of food, as well as smaller photographs throughout. The feel of the book is nice, the pages are a thick matte paper, and the cover is actually a printed hardcover, which I find much more appealing than a book jacket. I loved the introduction of the book, including the Rome: Then and Now, and the About The Book sections. I actually found them to be my favorite and most compelling parts of the book. The recipes that comprise the bulk of the book seem interesting, and well written, but not something I would necessarily cook in my own kitchen. I found myself most drawn to the exquisite travel photography that is, fortunately, peppered throughout the recipes as well. All in all, a beautiful coffee table book, or a great study for someone with a deep interest in learning to prepare the foods of Rome.

I received this book free, for an honest review.

The Whole Coconut Cookbook: Vibrant Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Recipes Featuring Nature's Most Versatile Ingredient
by Nathalie Fraise
Price: $14.26
97 used & new from $0.96

4.0 out of 5 stars I love that it is dairy & gluten free, March 1, 2016
I have a son with many food allergies, so I was excited to try this book. I wasn't sure at first, because of it being the "Whole Coconut" and "whole coconuts" of any decent quality is near impossible here in Arkansas. I found upon further investigation that the book doesn't actually use "whole coconuts" for most things, but is rather advocating for the use of the various coconut products available, of which there are many! I love that it is dairy & gluten free, although the use of almond flour in most of the baked type goods make them unfeasible options for my son. Although every recipe does feature coconut fairly prominently, from feeding someone with a very limited diet, I wish the ingredient list wasn't long on most of the recipes. Several of the recipes feature items I would definitely consider to be specialty type items that I'm familiar with, but wouldn't be able to get without ordering them online. That being said, the book is a nice size, with beautiful photos, and I have a couple of recipes marked to try; I'm particularly excited about the Vanilla Rosemary Creme Brulee on page 102! Even though it is focusing on featuring one ingredient, it has the full table of contents of recipes, everything from soups to main dishes and desserts.

Lucky Rice: Stories and Recipes from Night Markets, Feasts, and Family Tables
Lucky Rice: Stories and Recipes from Night Markets, Feasts, and Family Tables
by Danielle Chang
Price: $16.79
70 used & new from $11.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Memoirs and cookbooks are two of my favorite types of books, February 20, 2016
Memoirs and cookbooks are two of my favorite types of books, making Lucky Rice a book I was excited to try; it does not fail. I wasn't familiar with the author before receiving the book, but was pleasantly surprised. I love that each chapter has a longer anecdote from the author, a page or two, and every single recipe also has personal stories, notes, and memories attached. The photography is beautiful, the book has a nice feel in the hand also, and is a nice size; not too small, but not gargantuan either. There is a huge range of recipes here, everything from making your own rice wine, ice pops, and whole fish, along with an assortment of other dishes. I don't live in a huge metropolitan area with great shopping, but was actually surprised at the number of recipes that called for ingredients I can easily locate, the majority of them. Yes, several did call for some really unique ingredients that I would likely have to order online or phone a friend in a much larger area than me to obtain, but that's to be expected I think when sharing recipes from a different culture, and trying to get unique flavors and tastes into your food, and I appreciate that every other recipe doesn't call for things that will cost me a fortune, and a lot of time to track down. I think it makes a great coffee table book too, and I can't wait to start trying recipes out of it this week!

I received this book free to review.

The Homemade Kitchen: Recipes for Cooking with Pleasure
The Homemade Kitchen: Recipes for Cooking with Pleasure
by Alana Chernila
Price: $16.61
73 used & new from $11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I like to look at cookbooks, January 22, 2016
I like to look at cookbooks, as one might read a book. The Homemade Kitchen actually is part book, part cookbook, a genre I've explored plenty, and expected more of the same from this book. However, I was pleasantly surprised. First, the book is gorgeous. Full page spreads of produce, matte pages and cover, plenty of photos of recipes. Secondly (and yes, this matters to me), it feels nice in my hand. High quality, but not to heavy. The content inside I found to be a pleasant surprise as well. I loved that things like pickle brine, jams, and yogurt were explained very simply, as they really are quite simple, but overlooked by most American home cooks. Alongside pizza sauce, breads, etc. this is truly a complete cooking school in a book. However, it is so well done, and simply done, that it is very approachable. I plan to have my oldest daughter start reading the book; it's the kind of book I wish I had as a beginning home cook. I would highly recommend, and plan on purchasing additional copies as gifts.

Ages 6-9 Fun-Schooling Journal - Do-It-Yourself Homeschooling 1st - 3rd Grade: Learning Activities For New & Struggling Readers (Home Learning Guides) (Volume 3)
Price: $21.81
4 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars He loved the intricate designs, January 6, 2016
Length:: 0:33 Mins

Flip through the book video included in this review!
My son was actually really excited to start in this journal, which was a surprise to me; he isn't typically a huge fan of many things non-Lego, especially if it involves holding a pencil. However, he actually was choosing different shades of green for leaves, and gray for stones, after dinner the day this arrived. He loved the intricate designs, especially the super intricate pencil drawings where the student then is able to trace a lighter printed version of the same art, on the next page. The actual guided journal prompts fit well with our homeschooling and life goals, and I look forward to having a good record all in one place, instead of scattered in random papers I try to keep up with, as well as having a few new inspirational ideas as well. I loved that there was a place for recording facts and things learned from watching a documentary, all the way to doing a realistic nature study, and 'designing something' with the printed graph paper inside.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Big Sister & Little Sister - A Coloring Book for Two: Adorable Critters, a Secret Garden, and a Forest Full of Wonders -  A Sweet Way to Inspire Friendship, Sharing and Creativity
Big Sister & Little Sister - A Coloring Book for Two: Adorable Critters, a Secret Garden, and a Forest Full of Wonders - A Sweet Way to Inspire Friendship, Sharing and Creativity
Price: $12.50
2 used & new from $7.01

4.0 out of 5 stars My older daughter loved that several of the pages had room to write ..., January 6, 2016
Length:: 0:48 Mins

Flip through the book video added!
I cannot tell you how excited my girls (8 years apart in age!) were to have this coloring book. Many of the pages are blank on one side, so you don't get marker bleed through, and can remove them to display without ruining another coloring page. My older daughter loved that several of the pages had room to write a scripture, or note, either to display or send to a friend. The drawings are absolutely beautiful, and most are incredibly intricate. My only reason for 4 stars, is that several of the illustrations we do have in another homeschooling journal. I'm still giving it 4 stars, because their excitement, and seeing them work together, discuss colors, and the drawings, is priceless ;) I feel like the subject matter of the drawings is appropriate and applicable for a wide variety of ages of girls also, something that is quite difficult to find. I actually would even enjoy coloring the pages, they are so gorgeous.

Homeschooling for Girls - Winter Homeschooling Journal - Eclectic Curriculum for Artists and Writers: This 60 Day Homeschooling Workbook Covers Eight ... Ages 9 to 17 (Homeschooling Girls) (Volume 3)
Edition: Diary
Price: $32.50
7 used & new from $28.18

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a beautiful book. Although this seems somewhat trivial, January 6, 2016
Length:: 0:15 Mins

Video of a book 'flip through' added!
My daughter audibly gasped when this arrived and I flipped through it for her. It is a beautiful book. Although this seems somewhat trivial, it is important and of note to both her and me, so I will mention that the colors are vibrant, and the cover is a soft, almost velvety feeling cardstock that I love. It is much, much nicer feeling to me than the high gloss cardstock that is normally used on workbooks. The book is also huge (in a good way), with over 300 pages! The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous, particularly the coloring pages; she is working at a 7th/8th grade level in homeschool, and has never been one for coloring, but could not wait to start on the first coloring page, of all things. The date page begins each segment, followed by 6 pages that repeat some, but not super frequently, I think it's actually an ideal amount, and I was initially worried, before actually receiving the book myself and looking through it, that it would be too repetitious. The guided prompt pages include anything from reviewing a video (documentary, youtube, etc), to doing a nature study, making a meal plan, finding a good paragraph for copywork, sketching from a library book, writing a true story, finding 20 words with ___ number of letters in them, etc. Both she and I are excited to incorporate the journal into our homeschool day, it is something exactly like I had been looking for, to help her focus on HER interests, but for me to be able track the educational value as well, and give her some organization.

Bible Time Kids - A Quiet-Time Handbook for Creative & Active Children: Devotional Journal and Coloring Book (Keep Your Kids Calm & Quiet in Church)
Price: $11.25

4.0 out of 5 stars like people to pray for, January 6, 2016
Length:: 0:12 Mins

Video "Flip Through" the book added!
This book is 100 pages; the first section is composed of 4 pages that go together. The first is a full page guided journaling exercise for their devotional time, including sections for making notes on what they read, their prayers, goals, what they're thankful for, etc. The next page has a coloring page, and corresponding scripture reference, usually a chapter at least, sometimes longer, and a question to think about after you've read it. The backside of this is blank, presumably so markers don't bleed through, and so you can tear out & display the coloring page without losing a page of the journal. The last page of the quartet is a collection of cute doodled boxes with various topics to write and draw about, like people to pray for, etc. Different topics on different pages. This repeats 20 times, for a total of 80 pages, with the remaining pages being devoted front and back to the guided journaling exercise pages.
The reason for 4 stars, for me, instead of the 5 stars I give the other journals I purchased at the same time from Thinking Tree, is that the stories aren't quite in chronological order (perhaps this is a mistake, with the first edition printing that will be corrected), so Jesus is born with Luke being quoted, before 1 Samuel and David and Goliath. I also think that, personally, by the time my kids are old enough to be able to really do the guided journaling in particular, the Bible stories are ones they have heard dozens (if not more) times, and they are ready to move on to deeper, and more divergent topics. Overall, it is a great book, and I am modifying the journal from its original intent to work for us, just not my absolute favorite of the journals!

Homeschooling Handbook for Moms: How to Teach by Example (Do-It-Yourself Homeschooling Activity Books, Doodle Books, Handbooks, Journals & Planners for Moms) (Volume 1)
Price: $32.50
5 used & new from $32.50

5.0 out of 5 stars and I'm so glad I did, January 6, 2016
Length:: 0:20 Mins

I added a video 'flip through' the book!
I actually used birthday money to order this and some gel pens for myself, after much deliberation, and I'm so glad I did. After my kids received their own journals today, we actually sat down and all worked on the 'intro' page of our journals after dinner, it was so nice. We have decided to make our normal afternoon audiobook time into a coloring time, at their request! I love the chance to not just jot down random lists, but have some purpose, guidance, and intention added into MY days, not just my kids, and make it pretty, while relaxing by coloring, too.
The one thing I wasn't sure about was the repetition of pages, but I feel like it is a good balance, and they are well spread throughout. I wasn't sure from reading other people's review and seeing the pages online, if it was the same pages every day, and that is definitely not the case.
Comment Comment | Permalink