Profile for Xmarc999 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Xmarc999 RSS Feed (Half Moon Bay, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
CrazyOnDigital Auto Car, Home Wall Charger and USB Data Cable For Samsung Galaxy S3 S III (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon) AT&T SGH-I747 T-Mobile SGH-T999 Verizon SGH-I535 Sprint SPH-L710 Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Black)
Offered by CrazyOnDigital Corp.
Price: $6.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to charge your Samsung phone, April 1, 2014
Everything you need to charge your Samsung Galaxy III. (I presume it works for other Samsung phones, but you will need to check for yourself). Car and wall charger. USB cable. Life is good.

Sowden Oskar SoftBrew Coffee Maker with Scoop, 4-Cup
Sowden Oskar SoftBrew Coffee Maker with Scoop, 4-Cup
Price: $49.95
13 used & new from $49.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes a mellow cup of coffee, March 28, 2014
A stainless steel filter means no need for endless supplies of paper filters. The SoftBrew can be used to produce a very mellow cup of coffee. The 4-cup (I haven't actually measured, but it's around 20-25 ounces brewed coffee) is very nice for one person or even two.

I knocked off a star because the instructions that come with it are nearly useless. It says to grind the coffee anywhere from fine to coarse, to use 3 to 5 scoops of coffee, to brew 4 to 8 minutes. What?? First, with a minimum brewing time of 4 minutes, the coffee should be ground medium at least (definitely not fine). Based on my own taste, and the wonderful Corby Kummer's The Joy of Coffee, the grind should basically be the same as for a French Press. The starting point should be 2 tablespoons per 6 oz of water (Some may prefer a bit weaker). And 6-7 minutes of brewing.

I don't know why the taste is different than a French Press, but it is, maybe because there is no pressure on the grounds. You just pull out the filter (as soon as brewing is done!), dump the grounds, and rinse it off. The ceramic pot keeps the coffee hotter than a French Press (at least longer than my glass and stainless steel press).

This could be your only coffee maker, or definitely one to add to the collection. Lovely for a weekend morning.

The Joy of Coffee: The Essential Guide to Buying, Brewing, and Enjoying - Revised and Updated
by Corby Kummer
Price: $13.04
88 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Really get to know coffee, March 28, 2014
This is a clear guide to making, buying, and loving coffee. From espresso machines to vacuum pots, this covers the whys and wherefores. Why is Dunkin Donuts the epitome of "East Coast Roasting," and Pete's/Starbucks the champions of "West Coast Roasting"? It's all here. My only wish would be for a newer edition; I would love to see a discussion of the SoftBrew Coffee Maker or the Aeropress (which the author has covered in some New York Times articles).

ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Burner with USB 3.0 BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS, Black
ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Burner with USB 3.0 BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS, Black
Price: $114.99
82 used & new from $62.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on OSX, High Speed CD Ripping, February 1, 2014
I actually bought this for ripping, as it uses USB3 and is quite quick internally. The blu-ray is a bonus as I don't use that side of it much. Many CD readers are quite slow, and may hit 20X tops. This reader seems to take a couple tracks to get up to speed, but still gets to 39X, making it nearly twice as fast as, for example, the Apple SuperDrive, for about 30% more money. Definitely not as sleek as the SuperDrive, and may be more suited for home use rather than travel.
The included software seems strictly for Windows, but my iMac instantly recognized the device (even listing the model number), and I have had no issues using it. The box does not mention Mac, only Windows, but I assure you it works smoothly.
I haven't burned/ripped enough DVDs to comment yet, but will update when I have a little more experience. Highly recommend if you are looking for fast.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 8:13 PM PST

Twelve South HiRise for iMac - Adjustable stand for iMac and Apple Displays
Twelve South HiRise for iMac - Adjustable stand for iMac and Apple Displays
Price: $79.95
6 used & new from $72.12

5.0 out of 5 stars A few quibbles but really the only good alternative, February 1, 2014
First, I think it unfortunate that Amazon has listed three separate products under the same product name. They really are different and it is not always obvious from the review which one is being reviewed.

This review is for the iMac stand.

The stand allows for a higher position for the iMac, with several heights available. Forget the suggested slot, which is really recommended to align the iMac with the Apple Cinema display. Ergonomically you need to have your eyes no more than 1/3rd of the way from the top of the lit part of the display, and ideally around 2 inches below the top of the lit part. Aligning the displays could simply mean you have two poorly placed displays. This all depends on how tall you are in the chair and how you sit. This stand allows for a number of positions so it's very good for getting to the right height.
I have my USB3 hub tucked away in the back, so kudos for that as well. An Apple Superdrive can sit on top of the stand without looking out of place.

Now for the quibbles. Others gave this stand 4 stars while saying they wish they could give 4.5. I also want to give 4.5 but will balance them off with a 5. Anyway, the front piece can be held on with built-in magnets. But I knocked the front plate off a few times before I realized I had put it on backwards. There are some countersunk holes to line with the magnets. If you make sure the "HiRise" logo is to the front, the holes will line up. I still went ahead put the screws in, which are included.

Streamlight 73001 Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight, Black
Streamlight 73001 Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight, Black
Price: $7.19
131 used & new from $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy, January 27, 2014
Small very useful light. It does exactly what I wanted. It is even smaller than I thought. Using the little carabiner is probably necessary to clip inside your pouch or wherever you put it, as I could see misplacing it. Uses a couple watch style batteries, so I wouldn't necessarily go for long walks in the woods, but adding to your keychain, or your travel kit is a great idea.

Trudeau Drivetime Travel Mug, Stainless Steel
Trudeau Drivetime Travel Mug, Stainless Steel
Price: $16.18
6 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Lot of things to like, January 27, 2014
Holding 18 oz rather than 16 means you can easily pour your 16oz coffee into this mug with no spilling. It keeps liquids hot for as long as I need; I don't take 2 hours to drink a cup of coffee. I like the click open/close top. I can glance at it and see if it is open or not; and have knocked it over when closed and nothing spills. For that matter, not much spills even when the top is open (yes, I do have a knock-it-over problem, but that is not the fault of the cup, sad to say). I've had it about a month, and I will see how I feel about it in a year, but so far so good.

Screwpop 4-in-1 Keychain Tool Chrome with Black Tool Bit
Screwpop 4-in-1 Keychain Tool Chrome with Black Tool Bit

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, January 27, 2014
The hotel put a screw in so you wouldn't open the window? Well nuts to that. I have to have fresh air when I sleep. Need to open a bottle? Here you go. Takes hardly any room.

Travel Smart by Conair Sundry Bag
Travel Smart by Conair Sundry Bag
Price: $6.99
6 used & new from $4.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop messing around with cheap plastic bags, January 27, 2014
I travel regularly, and while grabbing a 1 quart zipper bag is easy, it gets beat up quickly. This bag is solidly made, and doesn't turn opaque like the cheap bag. Highly recommend. This is actually my second one, as I bought one for my wife, who loves hers.

Cummerbund, Bow Tie, And Pocket Square Set With Box (Black)
Cummerbund, Bow Tie, And Pocket Square Set With Box (Black)
Offered by JCG Collection
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality set, January 27, 2014
The tie and cummerbund both have a high quality look. The price is very good; it would not take very many rentals to justify buying this set. After a number of years renting, I finally wised up and bought my own tux on sale. This set gives me a traditional, classy option, as I got a European style tie and vest with my tux purchase.

Shipping was very quick, so if you need a tie/cummerbund in a hurry, I can recommend this on that front as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4