Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for Jessica F > Reviews

Browse

Jessica F's Profile

Customer Reviews: 128

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jessica F RSS Feed (Fairfield, CT United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Up, Up, and Away!
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Up, Up, and Away!
by Sheila Sweeny Higginson
144 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for Mickey lovers, teaches some concepts..., December 7, 2015
Good book! Bright, colorful, and fairly durable for a softcover, staple-bound book. I like that this book teaches some concepts. The characters identify shapes seen on the ground and use sequential numbering to decide in what order they climb down a ladder to get off the balloon (first, second, etc). It also talks about shadows and how shadows and the sun relate to time of day. My 2.5 year old actually learned from this book and loves to point out shadows (and has no fear of them). The last page shows the characters enjoying a large meal together with a variety of foods, and as silly as it sounds, this has been very helpful for my painfully picky eater. We have nearly a dozen of the Clubhouse books and this is one of the better ones. My only gripe is that I wish it came with stickers, like some of the other Clubhouse books e.g., Mickey and Donald Have a Farm, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Super Adventures.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Mickey and Donald Have a Farm (Disney Mickey Mouse Clubhouse)
by Bill Scollon
Price: $4.95
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fans!, December 7, 2015
Great book! Adapted from an episode of the same name. Story line is similar, but not exact - like most Clubhouse books. Kindle version seems to have issues, but the paperback version is bright, colorful, and fairly durable for a softcover, staple-bound book. Plus it comes with two full pages of stickers, which my 2.5 year old daughter LOVES. I ended up using some clear plastic packing tape to "laminate" the stickers. Now she can carry them around, talk to them, play with them & continue to enjoy them - as only a 2 year-old could. We have nearly a dozen of the Clubhouse books and this is one of our favorites. Wish they all came with stickers!

Child Footed Tights 3 Pack,BT5400CLSNT,Light Suntan,Toddler
Child Footed Tights 3 Pack,BT5400CLSNT,Light Suntan,Toddler

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor fit and durability so far..., December 3, 2015
Glad it's a 3 pack as one pair has both a pull and a run just from trying them on. Other dance tights are the same price for a single pair. Bought these as a requirement for a recital. My daughter is 2.5 years old, 36 in tall and about 27 lbs. I ordered the toddler size based on package information. These are not tapered at all, meaning the thigh circumference seems to be the same as the ankle circumference and there is no foot shape at the bottom. Because of this they are baggy in the ankles - very baggy. And in the one pair we tried on, it looks like one ankle is much baggier than the other. The crotch also hangs low, although her costume will likely hold it in place. The light suntan color is nice and not too dark or orange, more like a neutral nude color. My daughter complained that they were itchy, although she is not used to wearing tights (we live in South Florida). Overall, I'm not impressed. I'd say these are average and slightly overpriced, although I've never bought other brands and have nothing to compare to. Disappointed in both the fit and durability so far. Hopefully with 3 pairs, we can make it through the recital.

Bright Starts Get Cookin' Kitchen Toy (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Bright Starts Get Cookin' Kitchen Toy (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Juvo+
Price: $33.81
17 used & new from $20.06

2.0 out of 5 stars I've grown to hate this toy! It's a lesson in frustration for tots & parents!, October 8, 2014
First of all, I bought this in March from Amazon for sixteen bucks. To spend anything over 20 bucks is a total rip off - shop around for a better price. (Its a shame, but you can no longer assume that Amazon has the lowest price)

I already owned (and loved) the Bright Starts Having a Ball Activity table Bright Starts Having a Ball Get Rollin Activity Table. I bought extra balls for that that I assumed would work with all toys in the "having a ball" line, but they don't. Bright Starts Having A Ball Toys, Bunch of Balls The fridge door has an ice cube (ball) dispenser. When a red button is pushed, the balls drop down, one at a time, directly onto your child's hand and out into the room (One of the only good features of this toy that my daughter loves and worth one star). However, the balls that come with this are slightly larger, so the extra balls just fall through the front of the fridge. Of course, they look identical, so I had to mark the 5 balls that came with this toy with a sharpie so I could tell the difference. Seriously, why not make the balls interchangeable? The 5 balls that come with this toy always end up under the couch or roll across the room in about 5 minutes and parental intervention is required to retrieve them. It would be nice to have more than 5 balls total.

The toy looks like it can be closed up for storage when not in use, but it can't. The fridge door doesn't stay closed and always swings open, even when the toy is just sitting there. The fridge door is not long enough to touch the ground (I guess so you can open it easier). Because the door is slightly higher than the rest of the toy, when the fridge door is open, the toy is off-balance and very easily tipped, especially if your kid puts any weight on it.

The burner on the stove makes bubbling and sizzling noises, however just placing the "pot" on top of the burner is not heavy enough to activate the button, even with a ball inside. The pot ends up tossed aside and my kid uses her finger to push the button down with the required force. Sends the wrong message, as I'm trying to teach my kid NOT to touch a hot burner.

The mixer bowl spins a ball around via a spring-loaded sliding lever on the front. This also takes a good amount of finger strength to use, and the tight spring causes the lever to snap back on tiny fingers. Not very fun at all.

The faucet and sink don't make any sense. The "sink" is just a hole. You put a ball in the top and it just falls straight through the faucet and sink into the oven(?) It would be much better if turning on the faucet actually released the ball and/or the ball stayed in the sink, rather than dropping into the oven.

My biggest gripe: The oven door is nearly impossible for a kid to open. My daughter gets so angry and frustrated trying to open the stupid oven door. I have to open it for her nearly every time she plays with it (MORE parental intervention). And, once the door is open, it opens too much. If your kid moves the toy around (as all kids do to play with the other side), the open door gets "stuck" under the toy, making it off-balance and usually causing the whole thing to tip over.

The fridge has a soda/ pop bottle shaped area that holds balls and is visible from both sides, but you can only access the balls from ONE side. My kid can't understand why she can see the balls, but can't get to them. Stupid design and frustrating for her.

The "book" on the fridge sides is only one page that flips back and forth, but it looks like there are more pages. My daughter is always trying to turn the other pages, ending in even more frustration.

The fridge side is really boring. There are shelves and other places to put the balls, but that's it. No cause-and-effect action and not really fun. My daughter likes the apple door that leads to the oven, but that's about it.

The only two doors that open and close both lead to the same compartment (the oven) and are at the very bottom of the toy, as low as you can get. Its very difficult to look inside the oven without lying down on the floor or putting this up on a table. Why not put the only opening parts higher up? Again, really stupid design flaw.

The music and noises are really random. I still can't tell exactly what does what, but my daughter doesn't care. She loves the noises and music this toy makes and its not terribly loud or annoying, so that's worth a star. The rest of the toy is a real PIA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great features & My 18 month old loves it!, July 6, 2014
Awesome pool for my 18 month old! Inflated fairly quickly & easily with a mini portable air compressor. Each part inflates separately, which is cool, plus it has a drain plug on the bottom. It comes with several small inflatable colored balls that my daughter loved playing with. The blue dinosaur on the side of the pool acts as a basket to throw the balls through. There is an adjustable waterfall with a small palm tree water sprayer next to it. The slide has an inflated waffle-type "landing mat" at the bottom for easy landings. (My daughter used this as a little seat). The bottom of the pool is not padded or inflatable. We had ours on a wood deck with a tarp underneath and it was fine for us. The plastic is nice and thick, no off-gassing or PVC/vinyl odor noted, graphics are nice and bright. I would suggest shopping around for the best price as Amazon is NOT the cheapest and/or use the camelcamelcamel app to track prices and wait for a price cut. (It's a shame, but you can no longer assume that Amazon has the best price)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, high-quality tights (run a bit big, though), January 2, 2014
I really did NOT want to spend 18 bucks on tights, but I"m glad I did - these are just GORGEOUS! I ordered the 6-12 month size for my 11-month-old 19 lb/ 28 inch daughter. They were slightly baggy when I first put them on my LO, but the excess material kind of spread-out/evened out throughout the leg, and didn't bunch up at the knees or ankles. These are very, very thick and kept her nice and warm on our 20 degree Christmas day. The cotton is super-soft, not scratchy or rough in the least. No sweating, chaffing or skin irritation at all. The waist band is nice and wide, lays flat, left no marks. She creeped, crawled and rolled around all day in these and they held their shape. I washed these before and after she wore them and they still look new - no pilling or stringiness. (Unlike the other pairs of pricey Mud Pie tights we own). The ruffles looked adorable and are very well done. They're a nice eyelet-style cotton with pretty scalloped edges - they looked soooo cute peeking out under the dress! These also have the non-skid grippies on the bottoms in the same black color as the bottom of the tights, so they didn't stand out and take away from the Mary Jane look. All in all, I am very happy with these tights and will most likely get many more wearings out of these - due to both the generous sizing and the high quality. Great buy!

Fisher-Price Light-Up Lion Stacker
Fisher-Price Light-Up Lion Stacker

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh...not as great as I'd hoped, December 21, 2013
I was so happy when this toy was recently marked down to 6 bucks. My 10 month old daughter loves anything that plays music, plus I figured the added educational value of it being a stacker toy made buying it a no brainer. Overall, this toy is just not that great - it's just not designed well. On the top of the center post is a raised button, which activates the different songs. Because if this button - and a too shallow opening on the underside of the lion's head - the lion's head cannot sit flush. It wobbles from side-to-side and is constantly falling off. (IMHO - the lion's head is a little creepy looking, kinda reminds me of a distorted looking Wizard of Oz lion. This is just my opinion, however, and does not affect how the toy works).

There is also a button on the side of the post that is activated when a ring passes over it. This button makes sounds that are similar to a casino slot machine, but doesn't activate the music. All my daughter wants to do is push the button on top and play the music. There is little incentive for her to stack the rings on the post. Also, the center post is one continuous size so the rings can be put on in any order. This kinda defeats the purpose of a ring stacker since it doesn't teach how to stack the rings in order by size. The songs are pleasant and my daughter really enjoys the music, but there is no on/off button or volume control, and the music is pretty loud. I am considering putting a piece of tape over the speaker. It has nice colors and sounds, thats about it.

My daughter ends up playing with this as two separate toys. The first thing she does is knock off the lion's head (which usually ends up under the couch), then she dumps the rings off onto the floor and plays with the post. She presses the top button and dances to the music. Eventually, she'll go back to the rings and play with those - banging them together, chewing on them, etc. The rings are pretty cool and seem to be well made - smooth edges, brightly colored, flower-shaped, some ridges and bumps for gripping and texture, etc.

For mom, this is just one more toy with pieces that will end up scattered all over, eventually lost, usually stepped on (by me or my hubby -ouch!) - similar to the shape sorters and regular stacker we already own. The differences are that this toy is loud, requires batteries, and (unlike shape sorters and regular stackers) offers little to no educational value. I'll keep it because my LO likes it, but if I'd paid more than 6 bucks for it, I would've returned it for something better.

Brown Legging Set with Turkey Applique (5T)
Brown Legging Set with Turkey Applique (5T)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously adorable and very well made!, December 2, 2013
My daughter wore this adorable outfit for our first Thanksgiving. It was a huge hit! Like most of Mud Pie's clothing, it is very well made. The tunic top is a very soft, medium-weight cotton with tiny pom-pom trim sewn along the bottom. The top stayed crisp-looking and wrinkle-free the whole day. The ruffles on the shoulders and big blue bow on the back are a nice touch, without being too over-the-top. The turkey is really, really cute! It's a combination of felt, fabric, grosgrain ribbons and ric-rac trim with tight, evenly spaced stitches and matching thread colors. Another plus is that it washes really well. We ended up with some sweet potato smears on the front that came out completely in a cold water gentle cycle (with a little pre-treatment).

The leggings are a little thin - more like thick tights, but very soft & stretchy. I spent an extra 3.50 and bought this pair of chocolate-colored leggings to wear underneath ---> Jefferies Socks Baby-girls Infant Capri - mostly because it was a only 30 degrees outside. The diaper does show through a little but the top is long enough to cover it.

I didn't find the sizing to be too far off. The pants seem slightly smaller vs. the top. My 10-month old is 28 inches tall and weighs 18 lbs & the 9-12 month size fit her perfectly. (She was a 4lb premie and is only in the 25th percentile). If you have a baby with really chubby legs, you may want to size up - but then the top may be a little big. It cost a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm glad I bought it. The quality, fit and cute-ness factor made it worth every penny!

Kiscords Baby Safety Cabinet Locks For Knobs Child Safety Cabinet Latches For Home Safety Strap For Baby Proofing Cabinets Kitchen Door RV No Drill No Screw No Adhesive / Color Black / 5 Pack
Offered by Kiscords Childproof Cabinet Locks
Price: $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a hazard than using nothing, October 24, 2013
I really, really wanted to like these - mom invented, USA made, etc., but there are many concerns I have re: the usefulness & safety of this product. The cord is essentially a thicker, round shoelace like this --> Round Shoelaces 3/16" Thick Solid Colors for All Shoe Types Several Lengths, complete with the little plastic tip covering the ends. These are the main problems I've found:

1) The cord is tied into a knot at each end and the knot is covered by a plastic cap. This is VERY attractive to my 9 month old teething baby. Even in black against brown cabinets, it catches her eye (as it dangles exactly at mouth height and all of the materials have a slight sheen). And there are a lot of textures to chew on - the plastic tip (made of God know's what with adhesive too), the knot in the cord and the plastic cap (which is thick and rounded/tapered but still has a sharp edge). My daughter is more attracted to the cabinets than she ever was before. I only have these on certain kitchen cabinets. I intentionally left others accessible, so she can safely explore. She has no interest in that, however, only the Kiscords.

2) For some reason, I cannot get a tight enough fit with these cords. I pull as hard as I can, secure with both plastic pieces and I still have some "give" which enables the door to open slightly - just enough for my daughter to stick her arm through (1.5 inches to be exact.)

So here is my scenerio - Hanging out in the kitchen, Kiscord spotted by baby, she pulls on free end to chew on cap/knot/tip, notices the door is slightly ajar, sticks her arm through the gap, reaches inside and blindly swipes/paws/grabs whatever she can reach OR reaches inside, releases her grip on the cord and has the cabinet door close on her arm (no injuries, of course, just a little pinch - but scares her and she occasionally cries).

3) Because I have to pull the cords so tightly, I have the slightest bit of fraying from the friction of the cord rubbing against the edges on the base of the metal knobs - similar to these --> Amerock BP55271-G10 Blackrock Satin Nickel Square Cabinet Hardware Knob, 1-3/16" Inch Square - 25 Pack. With enough use, this may eventually wear a weak spot or hole in the cord. Maybe a stronger or non-stretch type of cord would work better.

I was really hoping these would work, as there seems to be no other product available with as many glowing reviews. Too bad :(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 12:56 PM PDT

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable! And a real bargain..., October 19, 2013
I got a pair of these in pink and they are sooooo cute! To be honest, I wasn't expecting much for the price. These cost little more than a pair of fancy baby socks like these --> Mud Pie Princess Megan Pastel Pink Sock The quality of the materials is not great, but again - you can't expect Uggs for this price. However, I am impressed with the quality of the stitching - everything is tight & even, no loose stitches or threads. The embroidery is very, very nice as well and perfectly centered on the midline. (I've paid much more for adult shoes that weren't done this well - and look at the HORRIBLE stitching on these Rugged Bear Baby Girls Faux Fur Lining Pink Suade-like Ankle Boots (Sizes 0-12M) for twice the price). The material(s) of these boots are made to look like Uggs, however the "suede" upper is 100% cotton and the faux sheepskin lining and footbed are 100% polyester. This means they're machine washable (yay!). They are also thin, like a slipper sock and not as warm as they look, so you will need socks or even a footed outfit underneath. They close with nice and securely with velcro, but the velcro is sewn on in a vertical strip so it won't make the shoe any tighter. Like an Ugg type boot, it has a straight, rather than tapered shaft. If your baby really wants these off of her feet, she'll get them off. However, because they are lightweight and not too bulky, my daughter doesn't pay much attention to them. These are definitely NOT for walkers. They do have grippy dots on the bottom - similar to footed pajamas - but no support and a bright white sole. The one negative (which I find to be a plus) is that these DO run big. My daughter is 9 months old and a little small for her age (she was a preemie). The 6-12 month size is HUGE on her- I could fully press the width of my thumb between her toes and the shoe. She could've probably fit into the 0-6 month size. The extra room allows me to put a decent layer between her foot and the thin polyester lining. I bought the pink, but will definitely buy one of the other colors, if they're still in stock. I posted some pics as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13