Profile for S. A. Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. A. Johnson "misterscooter" RSS Feed (Bay Area, California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
NFL Pro 2013
NFL Pro 2013
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars sucks, August 31, 2014
This review is from: NFL Pro 2013 (App)
Won't let me play one game

Cassette Adapter
Cassette Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars It Does the Job Very Well, January 29, 2007
This review is from: Cassette Adapter (Electronics)
Both cars that I use have a tape player and CD changers. For a long time, because we could play CDs in the cars, we didn't need any kind of adapter. However, now in the age of iPods and other MP3 players, adapters have come back with a vengeance. There is no lack of options out there for adapters. With all the different types of music players available, I wanted an adapter that would not only work with my current iPod, but any future versions that I might buy, not to mention friends and family who might be carrying a completely different model.

So, in the interest of simplicity, I decided to go "old school" and try the Cassette Adapter first. The main reason was because it will work with any MP3 player (unless of course it doesn't have a headphone jack and that's just crazy talk).

I also didn't want to spend much because I figured there couldn't be much difference between one that costs $10 and another that is twice as much or more. And if the cheaper one really was garbage, I wouldn't be out much.

I have to say that I am very happy with this product. It works just as I expected. Because it is using a tape head, you can expect some hiss on different tape players. The way to avoid that is to turn down the car stereo volume a bit and use the volume on the MP3 player instead. It might take a bit of fiddling to find the right combination but it wasn't hard to figure out. Now I have no problems with tape hiss and it sounds great. Of course, I have an average stereo system in the cars. Someone who has upgraded to bigger and better speakers/amp/etc. might notice more hiss but I sure don't.

The only downside with this or any other cassette adapter is you are limited to using it in cars that still have a cassette player. But that has nothing to do with how much you paid or the quality of the adapter.

Wüsthof 2-Stage Knife Sharpener
Wüsthof 2-Stage Knife Sharpener

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth picking up for your fine knives, October 18, 2006
I knew that my sharpening steel skills were not ideal. I was able to get a sharp blade but it didn't seem to hold very long. When I saw that Wusthof had a sharpener, I knew it would be worth having. Already knowing the quality of their products, I was certain this would be the same.

After passing my knives through a few times, the sharpness was back. No fuss, no muss. Easy to hold when placed on the counter and no angle to figure out.

The only down side is that there are no instructions or advice included. I don't know if this should be used every time I want to sharpen my knives or just occasionally. Also, I question whether I am sharpening my scissors correctly since I had to figure it out on my own. Perhaps the Wusthof Web site has more information. Otherwise, it is great.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2011 8:27 PM PDT

What Is Beat
What Is Beat
47 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Beat. Dance., October 18, 2006
This review is from: What Is Beat (Audio CD)
I grew up on the English Beat and they are still one of my favorite bands today. There is something about the ska from that era that really appeals to me. My first exposure to them was in the early '80s when my brother was in college and the Beat were a college radio staple.

When I finally purchased "What Is Beat?" on tape, their first compilation album, I was in heaven. When my music collection converted to CD "What Is Beat?" was one of the first CDs I purchased. It was a slight disappointment, though, because the CD could not hold as much music as the tape did and a few songs had to be cut. Bummer.

When I found "Beat This!" a few years ago, I was thrilled. Even though there were many repeat songs, it also included some that were cut from the "What Is Beat?" CD and a few that were never included such as "Click Click" and "Drowning." I still have both CDs and each fulfills a different purpose.

Ultimately, though, these Best Of albums will never tell the whole story but they are a great start to this ska band. If you like "What is Beat?," be sure to check out their original albums as well for other gems that just didn't fit with the time limitations.

Beat This: The Best of English Beat
Beat This: The Best of English Beat
Offered by Treatspree
Price: $19.07
38 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a Great Beat, October 18, 2006

When I finally purchased "What Is Beat?" on tape, their first compilation album, I was in heaven. When my music collection converted to CD, "What Is Beat?" was one of the first CDs I purchased. It was a slight disappointment, though, because the CD could not hold as much music as the tape did and a few songs had to be cut. Bummer.

Ultimately, though, these Best Of albums will never tell the whole story but they are a great start to this ska band. If you like "Beat This!," be sure to check out their original albums as well for other gems that just didn't fit with the time limitations.

The Best of the Beat
The Best of the Beat
Price: $27.01
11 used & new from $0.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, October 18, 2006
This review is from: The Best of the Beat (Audio CD)

When I finally purchased "What Is Beat?," their first compilation album, on tape, I was in heaven. When my music collection converted to CD, "What Is Beat?" was one of the first CDs I purchased. It was a slight disappointment, though, because the CD could not hold as much music as the tape did and a few songs had to be cut. Bummer.

When I found "Beat This!" a few years ago, I was thrilled. Even though there were many repeat songs, it also included some that were cut from the "What Is Beat?" CD and a few that were never included. I still have both CDs and each fulfills a different purpose.

Little Scarlet (Easy Rawlins Mysteries)
Little Scarlet (Easy Rawlins Mysteries)
by Walter Mosley
176 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, August 24, 2006
This book was loaned to me because someone thought I might like it. I've read most of Robert Parker and Elmore Leonard's novels and I enjoy a good mystery. I had heard of Walter Moseley but didn't know much about his books.

I'm not quite old enough to remember the Watts riots. I only know what I've read and heard from people who watched it on TV or were sent there with the National Guard. I realize that this is a novel and that there are parts that are fictional but there is some history in it.

Moseley's Easy Rawlins has to figure out who killed a woman and why this one person, out of the many who died in the riots, is so important in the bigger picture. Easy has been in and around Watts for years and you have to figure that Moseley was just waiting to write a book with this backdrop. Since reading Little Scarlet, I've gone back and read the first four books in the series. In all of the books, there is always a sense of the times for a black man in the U.S. and in Los Angeles but this story gives us one specific, important instance to build a very compelling story.

For the mystery, the characters, the perspective and the history, this is a great novel. I know people who don't read a lot of mysteries who really liked this book because it is so much more.

Of course, if you haven't read the earlier books first, you will have some plot points revealed in Little Scarlet that will take away from the previous stories when you do read them. Maybe this isn't best of his novels but if you only read one Easy Rawlins novel, I think this should be it.

Body of Evidence: A Scarpetta Novel (Kay Scarpetta Mysteries)
Body of Evidence: A Scarpetta Novel (Kay Scarpetta Mysteries)
by Patricia Cornwell
191 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same for better or for worse, June 5, 2006
After reading the first book in the series, I felt good enough to want to read the second book sooner rather than later. Book two is fashioned out of some of the basic framework as the first but with enough changes to the facade that it really doesn't detract too much from the story.

Most of the same characters are back for this installment with some new players thrown in. The forensics play along and provide physical clues to go along with the psychological clues. Like the first book, we are given plenty of clues to figure out the twist and don't feel like we've been cheated when it is revealed. As with the first book, I like that we only see what Kay sees and nothing more or less.

Kay Scarpetta, we learn, will always be very *involved* with her work and that will always play havoc with her personal life. Even this early in the series, that thread is obvious. Fortunately, even though this running thread is becoming concrete and will remain in future books, it doesn't overwhelm the main story.

The plot of this one is a little more convoluted than the first. There are several interweaving plots that connect or seem to connect and they provide us with quite a bit of depth in the mystery. What starts out fairly straightforward quickly becomes messy and confusing (on purpose) but comes together fairly nicely at the end.

For a second novel, this one does well and doesn't fall into many of the traps and pitfalls that are out there and because of that, I'll be reading the third.

Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta)
Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta)
by Patricia Cornwell
247 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising debut novel, June 3, 2006
Before CSI and all the current fornsic shows on TV today, this one was fairly unique. It takes you into the coroner's workspace and gives you details not really seen before. While the mystery itself and the use of a serial killer was not new, the method of working on and solving the case gives us some new angles.

Kay Scarpetta is the chief medical examiner in the Commenwealth of Virginia. Thus, she gets involved in any high profile case. When several seemingly unrelated victims are killed by the same person, she comes in, with the help of the police who she works with, to try and catch this madman before someone else is murdered.

While some of the themes are familiar to those reading modern thrillers, one nice change is that everything is from the perspective of our heroine. There are no first person accounts from inside the head of the killer. We don't get clues to his motivation unless Scarpetta gets the same clues. We see everything she does, nothing more, nothing less. And the clues are there for us to deduce the solution. I didn't feel like the answer was cheap in any way and I bought the reasoning for the connection between the victims.

As a first novel, a lot of characters are introduced that will appear for many books to come. It is hard to tell if Cornwell even knows what is really important to the future of this series but as a whole, this book does very well and made me want to pick up the next book as soon as possible. A fairly quick read that can get bogged down with details at times but not overly so. If you like thrillers with a medical twist to go along with the police procedures, check this one out.

Draw Me a Star (Paperstar Book)
Draw Me a Star (Paperstar Book)
by Eric Carle
Price: $7.99
110 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites to read, May 14, 2006
The paintings/illustrations in this book are classic Eric Carle and are actually on a bigger scale than many of his books. They are glorious and beatiful and in his completely unique style.

The story flows really well and can easily be seen as a religious tale. But, like the Chronicles of Narnia, it can be read just as a straightforward story, too.

Yes, the first time you read the story, if you aren't ready for it, the picture of the naked couple will catch you off guard. That isn't the usual fare for a children's book (although potty training books have no problem showing the same thing on children). The drawing is not highly detailed and almost impressionistic. So, if you are worried about that, be sure to preview it before you buy it and read it to your child. If you aren't aware of it, your reaction might only emphasize it more for your child and then they will focus on it, possibly in a way you don't want.

If you like Carle and his style, you'll probably like it, especially the drawings. The story is simple but can lead to discussion with older children about its meanings.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5