Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Arvind Mathur > Reviews

Browse

Arvind Mathur's Profile

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Arvind Mathur RSS Feed (Singapore)

Page: 1 | 2
The Garden Primer: Second Edition
The Garden Primer: Second Edition
by Barbara Damrosch
Price: $13.81
109 used & new from $3.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Only good for the US, April 30, 2016
Book seems great for the climate its written for. Was totally useless for me - living in Asia, in an equatorial region.

Earhoox for EarPods - Compatible with iPhone 6/6+/5/5S/5C - White
Earhoox for EarPods - Compatible with iPhone 6/6+/5/5S/5C - White
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but go easy on the branding please, April 30, 2016
Works very well, but I would prefer the brand name printing to be a bit more subtle. I have caught too many people looking into my ear - trying to read the name - just because they can. Probably good for the manufacturer, but for their users, the branding needs to be toned down. I have tried to scratch it, but wont come off. Will try some solvents next.

Panasonic ER-GN30-K Nose Ear Hair Trimmer
Panasonic ER-GN30-K Nose Ear Hair Trimmer
Price: $11.82
161 used & new from $8.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Breaks easily, April 30, 2016
Worked fine for a few weeks, but then once as I was cleaning it, something went wrong and it did not fit back together well, and stopped working altogether. I tried to understand what happened, and concluded that the cutting blade that rotates inside the snout is just too delicate, and any bump distorts it to the point that it catches somewhere inside the snout and stops working. I would expect a product like this to be ready to take a bit more beating for it to have a decent life. Its cheap, so if you don't mind ordering a replacement everytime one breaks - it might be fine while it works, but I would look for something more study.

All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
by Molly Stevens
Price: $25.20
167 used & new from $5.73

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that got me cooking ... The art of making the complex uncomplicated, August 7, 2015
I am a 9 to 5 office job guy who never cooked till I was nearly 40, and I have fallen in love with cooking after reading and trying out recipes from this book. Molly's explanations about the principles, 10 stages, and equipment for braising at the beginning of the book were a brilliant a-ha. Although the book has not been written like the many other Cooking for Geeks books out there, to my engineer brain the 10 stages and the numerous insights on the science and chemistry of meats and braising clicked brilliantly.

All her recipes follow the same basic 4 steps of 1) Browning the main, 2) Aromatics, 3) Braising liquid, and 4) Finish and are very easy to follow. Although there are not as many pictures in this book as some others, the way its been written is actually far more hand-holding than just pictures (and you thought a picture is worth a ....). This makes the individual recipes long, but then you can't get it wrong because its so well explained. I was worried about messing up, but Molly repeatedly explains how tolerant braising is to not getting it exactly right, so that put me at ease.

Although braising seemed complex before I read this book, I found it to be the easiest to understand and execute repeatedly with finger licking success. There are easier forms of cooking out there, but the results of braising are just fabulous. The cooking time is long, but the effort is not that much - as most of the time, the pot is just simmering in the oven. I have used the principles of braising explained so well in this book to create my own recipes - and those have turned out very well too.

I would recommend this book to people who want to understand cooking, appreciate deep flavors, and have the patience to try and hone. This book is not for those looking for quick fix meals - at least initially. But once you get the concepts, you can pull together some awesome stuff incredibly easily.

I wish more cook books have the distilled essence and easy to follow steps, yet the depth that comes from mastery as easily presented as in this book. I also wish Molly would do a YouTube channel to make more folks aware of the simple and yummy art of Braising.

Super Scratch Programming Adventure! (Covers Version 2): Learn to Program by Making Cool Games
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to get kids started on Scratch, May 2, 2015
Scratch is a very powerful language and can be quite daunting for a kid to start and understand how to use all the controls. We got started watching some online videos but soon got stuck. This book is setup very well to pull the reader from the most basic controls through all the ones needed to make very cool looking games with multiple scripts, changing sprites and backgrounds and interactive controls.

The Kindle version looks great on the Fire - just like the book. And the companion downloads make it easy so the kid can focus on the programming and have all the graphics ready.

Wonder Workshop Dash and Dot Robot Pack
Wonder Workshop Dash and Dot Robot Pack
6 used & new from $305.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great motivator for young kids to learn programming, April 11, 2015
My six year old is learning programming thanks to this wonderful device. Its a real pleasure seeing him use loops, counters, action blocks etc to make Dash do little challenges that I give him. He has tried hopscotch before - so was introduced to programming, but Dash really motivated him to learn more and try out the more complex blocks - because he can 'physically see' the effects of his programming.

YONGNUO YN-560 III Bundle With RF-603 Single Transceiver for Canon
YONGNUO YN-560 III Bundle With RF-603 Single Transceiver for Canon
Offered by FotoPal
Price: $79.00
2 used & new from $79.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bundle at the price. Make sure you work the dip switches in case it does not connect., April 11, 2015
Fantastic bundle for the price and works great. The performance is excellent as other reviewers have explained in detail. Taking one star away for a couple of reasons. The manual that comes with the flash (none with the RF-603) is not super clear, but there are good videos on YouTube that helped me set this up. The second issue is that I could not initially get the RF-603 to connect to the flash. The issue was with the channel dip switches - there was probably a contact problem. I tried nearly every channel - some would work and some would not. But finally after all that switching - the contacts seem to be cleaned up and they are all working. Worried that it might get rusty with time again.

HIFIMAN RE-600 Songbird High Performance In-Ear Monitor
HIFIMAN RE-600 Songbird High Performance In-Ear Monitor
14 used & new from $124.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated: Took a loooong time to burn in, and is excellent now. However, the cables dont last, April 11, 2015
Update:
Looks like I did not burn them in enough when I wrote the original review. I don't know what I did, but these buds just opened up one fine day and started singing like a 'Songbird'. I have really enjoyed listening to them since then - very airy, decent base and pleasant overall character. However I have now started having a lot of issues with the cable - specifically the TRRS to TRS adapter - which just does not sit properly in my iPhone socket anymore and causes random distortions in the sound. I tried looking for a replacement, but can't find one.

Original Review:
Had high hopes given all the rave reviews, but quite disappointed. I have had this now for a couple of months and run it in extensively with all kinds of music. The sound feels like its coming through a tunnel. Even comparing with my trusty old Audio Technical CK7, these don't come close. Can't even think of comparing to my Grados. The packaging is impressive - but does not count. I would not recommend it - even at this lower price. It is possible I got a bad piece - given all the good review and comparisons I have seen - specially at the higher price earlier. Unfortunately I am on the other side of the planet from the US, so can't send it back or have it checked up.

The Last Frame; Off Camera Flash 101
The Last Frame; Off Camera Flash 101
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic step by step for newbies, but not sufficient to get going, April 11, 2015
Author does a good job of demonstrating how to setup your first ever off camera flash shoot and some of the basics of how exposure and shadows work as you change shutter, aperture, ISO, flash power, distance and angle. He does this more comprehensively and clearly than other material I have seen. However this short book is not sufficient in itself to get a newbie started on off camera flash photography because it does not explain sufficiently the important relationships between shutter aperture flash power etc. Most importantly it really does not cover the impact of ambient light which is super critical for most such shoots - for example the 3-4 samples at the end of the book. I still recommend a newcomer like me to get and read this book (15 mins end to end - including pauses to think and absorb) because of its low price and good demonstration of the basic setups and effects of changing each parameter one by one. For a more comprehensive explanation of the equipment, techniques, and especially ambient light, search for the Strobist.

Geneva Time Teacher Wall & Desk Clock 10" with Easel (No Alarm)
Geneva Time Teacher Wall & Desk Clock 10" with Easel (No Alarm)

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful face, but very loud tic-toc, May 25, 2014
The clock has nice large printing, and the To-Past design is helpful - my 5 year old has got the hang of reading time faster with this clock. However, it is very cheaply made - thin plastic. Not sure if it would survive a minor drop. Also, the tic-toc is very loud. I got it for the kids bedroom, but its too loud in a silent room.

Page: 1 | 2