Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for Been There > Reviews

Browse

Been There's Profile

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Been There "World Traveler" RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Curious Feast: 100 Postcards by 10 Artists
Curious Feast: 100 Postcards by 10 Artists
by M. Sahin
Edition: Card Book
Price: $15.86
59 used & new from $10.49

1.0 out of 5 stars If food looked THIS bad...well, we'd all be thin!, July 10, 2016
There were some interesting cards but the norm (at least 80%) were terribly boring. The finish on the cards was also boring/awful; maybe if they had a shiny finish it would have added cachet and perked them up, but it was just a "blah" collection. Sorry I bought it; the handful of cards that were intriguing showed that this collection could have been so much more if it had been handled/curated differently. I would definitely not buy this again at more than 8 cents/card; that is the max these would be worth to me. The very max.

Shadows in the Vineyard: The True Story of the Plot to Poison the World's Greatest Wine
by Maximillian Potter
Price: $13.36
82 used & new from $5.45

1.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read but Author May Have Had Ulterior Motives/Goals, November 1, 2015
Fascinating story purportedly setting forth the history/background of the most expensive Burgundy wine in the world. It is definitely not a crime story. There were maybe 10-20 pages in the book devoted to the "crime", while the rest of the book was clearly a paen to personalities (current & historical), including French vignorons (winegrowers) and USA wine distributors.

The author's decision to include superfluous information at the end of the book was perturbing and dismaying. Skip that and you'll be much happier with the story. I am not a wine drinker and still enjoyed the book which is why I gave it 5 stars, but then subtracted 4 stars. It added nothing to present the reader with summary case studies on wine tastings that seemed to prove tastings/ratings are a waste of time since they invariably are prejudiced by the perceived price of the wine being tasted. The author also didn't need to share that he was (3 years after publication) one of the select few to receive a coveted invitation to a rarefied wine tasting. It made this reader think that the book's goal was to ensure the author would be loved and adored by these rarefied folks and accepted in their select group. You be the judge. It just left a bad taste in my mouth that he accepted freebies, thereby completely compromising his journalistic independence. It's still a good read, but one wonders what was edited out (or in) to achieve his personal goal(s).

Hand to Mouth: Living in Bootstrap America
Hand to Mouth: Living in Bootstrap America
by Linda Tirado
Price: $11.00
96 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Funny Here..and Sense of Entitlement is Nothing Short of Breathtaking, October 20, 2015
The whole premise of this book is that poverty is unfair. Having been there and having relatives that are still poverty-stricken, I thought this would be an interesting read on someone else's experience(s). I grew up in an era when there was belief that one could pull oneself up by their bootstraps, and apparently this person grew up in a far different era, the last 7 or so years of which have been under a commander in chief whose diatribe is "life is unfair, woe is me".

This author doesn't make the connection between the flight of manufacturing jobs from the US (thank you Democrats and environmental activists), leaving only service-type jobs which are usually meant as starter jobs for teenagers. Dooming millions of workers to the service jobs to try to eke out an existence.

If you want to buy this book and thereby support this author, listed below is the attitude/outlook that you are supporting/condoning. I wished I had taken a quick read before buying it but I was in a hurry.
1. A person who tries to shame the rest of us by her gratuitous use of the f-word. How creative. And this from an author who claims to have "college level reading and writing skills".
2. A person who channels what leftover energy she does have to indulge in low-income-not-fair online blogging instead of taking online courses to obtain a degree/better herself.
3. A person who believes that "rich" people can go to the doctor and get Valium and any other drug they think THEY need to get through life, while the poor cannot.
4. A person who believes they can just not go into work because they wake up depressed with the hopelessness of life and job.
5. A person who believes that her life is destroyed because she can't afford gym memberships, cable television and a host of other things she envisions that...if ONLY she had...her life would be at least bearable because the "rich" have these. (Excuse me, but I have never been able to afford cable television and I don't feel at all deprived...yet she does?).
6. A person who claims to read at the college level but fails to read the fine print in a serious auto accident when accepting her settlement, thereby dooming herself to significant lifelong problems with her mouth (destroyed in the accident but she was more concerned about getting the settlement money to get a new car).
7. A person who believes there is shame in eating "expired" foods. Hello. Haven't she or her editors (whom I am sure are quite illustrious despite being taken in by this "woe is me" tale) heard that the government has said foods are good at least 18 months beyond expiration date and would we wasteful Americans quit throwing this stuff out? I regularly drink milk at least one month BEYOND the expiration date and have never had a problem. I drink it until it looks or smells curdled. I also have no qualms about eating lettuce with rust, nor partially shriveled/dried fruit (which has lost some water but is still food).

I can't feel sorry for this author. I feel enormously sorry for her 2 kids, with her as a mother. She has taken every drug but meth (claims she wouldn't stoop that low). Yet has been taught, and believes, that as a "citizen" she has a right to money, health care, dental care, drugs etc. with no questions asked. What is wrong with this picture? I hope she doesn't get a financial windfall from this book or any other - there are MUCH more deserving poverty-stricken folks who have a positive outlook on life regardless of their circumstances. Life is what you make it. The poor will always be with us. Nobody ever said that life was meant to be fair. Life isn't fair. Get over it already.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2016 2:06 PM PST

Kitchi Products Battery Operated Fabric Shaver
Kitchi Products Battery Operated Fabric Shaver
Offered by FRH LLC
Price: $10.49
2 used & new from $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Gadget, November 18, 2014
This worked extremely well on the "pills" that were all over a sweatshirt. I was very pleased that it did not grab the fabric. I have not tried it on sweaters yet...just the cotton sweatshirt. It did the job quickly and efficiently compared to the other shaver that I have been using and I am sure glad I bought this one!

RCA 252115 Projection TV Assembly with High Quality Original Bulb Inside
RCA 252115 Projection TV Assembly with High Quality Original Bulb Inside

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT the original bulb! Don't waste your money., May 29, 2014
Though the part number matched the recommended part # in the owner manual, the bulb was too low wattage and was NOT the original bulb at all. After installation, the picture was very dark and not watchable. Before spending any more money (i.e., calling a repairman) we decided to check and see if the bulb in the new assembly matched the old bulb. Too bad we didn't think to do it BEFORE we installed it. Sure enough, comparison of the new with the old showed that wattage was lower on this "new, original bulb". We found another site, talked to them, and ordered the original bulb. An actual RCA bulb with the proper wattage. And guess what...the TV picture is its' stunning vibrant self again.

Backyard Garden Pros 65VW Do It All Prohoe Rogue Garden Hoe Tool
Backyard Garden Pros 65VW Do It All Prohoe Rogue Garden Hoe Tool
Offered by 2NDGOAROUND
Price: $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hubby loves this!, May 29, 2014
He was so impressed with the quality that he also ordered another one for his brother, who admired his - saying it was perfect for planting furrows. Very, very sharp! Made in the USA~~~~!!!!

The Man with the Golden Arm
The Man with the Golden Arm
DVD ~ Frank Sinatra
Offered by Magic SuperCenter
Price: $8.39
62 used & new from $0.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Dated and Too Predictable, March 16, 2014
This review is from: The Man with the Golden Arm (DVD)
Bought this because had read somewhere that Frank Sinatra considered this his best performance. I don't recall having seen other Frank Sinatra films so decided to start with the "best". There were some good scenes and Frank did do a good job. After it ended (interminably marching on) I was glad I hadn't paid much for this DVD. And I sure wished I could have the wasted 90 minutes back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 2:24 AM PDT

A Guided Tour Through the Museum of Communism: Fables from a Mouse, a Parrot, a Bear, a Cat, a Mole, a Pig, a Dog, and a Raven
by Slavenka Drakulic
Price: $11.14
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stories!, March 8, 2014
Wasn't quite what I expected but I was totally charmed and blown away. I grew up during the Cold War, so not sure if anyone that didn't would understand or appreciate these stories.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2014 11:55 AM PDT

Bayer Headache Relief Coated Tablets - 50 Count (Pack of 6)
Bayer Headache Relief Coated Tablets - 50 Count (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost identical to Cope!, March 8, 2014
I was discouraged when Cope (aspirin & caffeine) was discontinued. It was the only thing that helped my migraines. And now Bayer has this product so I am very happy. It works just as well as Cope. And it doesn't contain anything other than aspirin & caffeine, which is exactly what I wanted.

Oktapodi
Oktapodi
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story..., March 8, 2014
This review is from: Oktapodi (Amazon Video)
A wonderful short animated film. I can't believe this didn't win the oscar for animated shorts (it was nominated in 2009 and that is how I became aware of it! It is so amazing - from story line to animation. It is set in Santorini (Greece) and is great fun.

I'm waiting for the sequel!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7