Profile for Cyn E. Clarfield Esq > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cyn E. Clarfield Esq "(antigenius)" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)

Friends With Kids
Friends With Kids
DVD

2.0 out of 5 stars What did I just watch?!, September 20, 2012
How can a movie with such an all-star cast be such a disappointment? Even Kristen Wiig's character was a tragic one, with zero comedy moments. What.

The movie had a couple funny instances, but a lot of "seriously?!" and "Is it over yet" and "I am so embarrassed that I suggested we watch this" moments, so be prepared. It isn't *really* funny, i would hardly classify it as a comedy, or even a romcom. It was misleading and unfortunate. The ending was bizarre. The other reviews pretty much covered it, but basically it's like "What?" and "sweet jesus, PLEASE END BEFORE IT GETS WORSE." The writer also did "Kissing Jessica Stein" and that ending had a similar feeling of "oh. that was kind of a bummer." It sort of seems like this is what happens when women get to be funny (yay!) except they have to operate and corral their humor into a man's world so as not to make the movie un-enjoyable for dudes (boo!). blah. Now it is un-enjoyable for everyone. Wish the writer could just stop writing like she is always worried about what men think.

SO, basically, this movie was a no go for me. Sad.

Hot Thought: Mechanisms and Applications of Emotional Cognition (Bradford Books)
by Paul Thagard
Price: $20.90
53 used & new from $1.05

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful awful awful, August 22, 2011
Hi! Do you like feeling insulted by terrible authors' attempts to circumvent their readers with pretty words? do you enjoy wasting hours translating self-congratulating terminology, only to find out the meaning is absurdly simplistic and asinine? THEN THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU!

It ACTUALLY SAYS THIS: "the calculated valence of an element is like the expected utility of an action, with degrees of acceptability analogous to probabilities and valences analogous to utilities" WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!

Oh it means that when we make decisions, we attribute inferences to what we are considering based on our goals and we do this by considering previous experiences or learned information. Basically that when we consider things, we take things into consideration! WASNT THAT FUN?? :D

Please avoid this book. If you have to read it for class, I'm so so so sorry. :(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2012 10:11 AM PDT

Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Multifunction Chair, Black
Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Multifunction Chair, Black
Price: $164.95
37 used & new from $153.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Yo, Shortie!, August 4, 2011
So if you are under 5'5", It might be best to keep looking. This chair is a monster with levers like a space ship and it weighs about 50+ lbs (which, for an awkwardly shaped item is weird). Most importantly, though, is that my feet can't touch the ground, even at the seat post's lowest setting. No thanks. So I'm returning it. There's great squish in the seat (too much for me), assembly was easy to follow, but there is lifting and shifting of heavy parts. Shipping back has proven to be nightmarish...the company (not amazon) is kind, but somewhat aloof, and the process of taking the chair apart and fitting it back in the box has totally sucked. If actually shipping the chair causes any more problems, I will update.

Oh well. Nice looking chair. Wish it worked out for me. :(
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 9:34 AM PDT

So Many Ways to Sleep Badly
So Many Ways to Sleep Badly
by Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore
Price: $13.36
46 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I dunno, October 22, 2009
For some reason, I didn't like this one as much as Pulling Taffy. Not sure why...

Potential: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag (High School Chronicles of Ariel Schrag)
by Ariel Schrag
Price: $13.94
83 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best One, October 22, 2009
In my opinion, POTENTIAL is the best of all four books. Maybe I'm biased because I read it whilst coming out and it instilled a sense of confidence that really helped me get laid. Or maybe because it's fun and personal. It's got enough high school drama to be interesting, but not enough to become REAL high school drama (the kind you can't even relate to anymore). In fact, POTENTIAL is extremely easy to relate to, even now. So, basically, the reason is not important. It's just really good at making you feel re-attached to some part of you that you left behind.

Tweak - Growing up on Methamphetamines
Tweak - Growing up on Methamphetamines
by Nic Sheff
35 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for friends/family of addicts, October 22, 2009
First things first, while the content is graphic, the novel does read like a young adult book. So the 4 stars are actually for how much this book helped me, personally. Nic's a lot like my own family member and hearing his story from his point of view really helped me realize how best to navigate a relationship with an addict and what's reasonable/realistic to expect or hope for. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend reading this AFTER reading "Beautiful Boy". Nic has really given us something vital--the crucial and oft missing piece of the addicted family circle: the side of the story no one knows how to understand. It is only understanding that will allow us to forgive. This book helps you get closer that that. Thanks, Nic.

Asterios Polyp
Asterios Polyp
by David Mazzucchelli
Price: $22.79
129 used & new from $14.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Visually Appealing, October 22, 2009
This review is from: Asterios Polyp (Hardcover)
Great art, great lines, great characters, great story!

I've never read this man's work before, but it is really impressive. I love the story breaks and its little details such as font and expression of emotion via color and texture.

bright and vivid.

I'm also a fan of: Tatsumi, Tomine, Matt, Schrag, Jason, Satrapi, Paping, and Sacco among others.
This was a very DIFFERENT type of read, but i really liked it for breaking up the routine. You could REALLY tell how long it took him to draw all of the pages. I really appreciated that. I'd say it is a MUST for any collection. Especially those of the eclectic comic reader.

Likewise: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag (High School Chronicles of Ariel Schrag)
by Ariel Schrag
Price: $13.16
98 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A More Serious Year than Expected, September 12, 2009
Well, after reading Likewise, it's evident that it is highly likely Ariel is reading this review herself. The book let's the reader in a LOT more than Potential, Definition, or Awkward. It lets us in so much, in fact, that we begin to feel the loss and panic that Schrag may have been experiencing herself. The difference is that the reader may be lost in the text and confused by our changing and growing narrator. At points, it is not even clear what is going on anymore and Schrag's sketches represent these times by becoming thinned out or even appearing to have been drawn with her other hand. This is not to say that the book is incoherent, just that at times it is confusing because it is SO detailed. This book begins a lot like Potential, but soon the reader starts to feel deeper into Schrag's psyche than before. It becomes difficult to navigate between what is real and what is Schrag's obsessive paranoia or twisted humor. It feels a lot like being inside the mind of an extremely intelligent, well read, teenage scientist in the midst of a mental breakdown that alters her world forever. Flashbacks, dreams, fantasies are all drawn in different styles so they seem easier to follow, but again, it becomes tedious to try to remember when you are still in a flashback or present since the entire book focuses on the creation of Potential in the "present" by looking into the "past" as well as recording, writing, thinking, for the "future" creation of Likewise itself.

I enjoyed the depiction of trying desperately to understand homosexuality, while struggling to feel proud. I appreciated her exploration of gender and particularly, the way it is seen in queer women; Being a hip queer Vs. a butch dyke and the inward homophobia that results in knowing that the whole world thinks you're the same thing anyway: a degenerate. I also enjoyed the self-loathing ala "poor bastard" joe matt and the fact that she pairs it with an overcompensating teenage narcissist narrator that is aware of her level of fame in the world. It's like being so sure you are awesome, yet fearing that you are not good enough. This is why AP Literature classes are dangerous! heh.

ALSO: I would read it more than once. Schrag becomes enmeshed in Joyce's Ulysses during the course of this book, so I would advise having read that or reading it and then reading Likewise again. She uses a lot of stylistic elements that she takes from Ulysses as well as allusions (so much so that we now need an annotated Likewise and probably Potential as well).

IN SHORT, Likewise is not like the others. It is graduated and requires more of your attention than you may expect for a high school chronicle. BUT, it is GOOD. I think, having had my own queer identity grow up with Potential to thank, I was hoping for something more like the self-discovery and representation captured in her previous work, but Likewise is like getting to know yourself again after some (seemingly) great tragedy changes you forever. You're different; everyone notices that you may be losing your mind, but you don't really care because there is no going back. It is hard to use the word "existential", but I will say that it is the most existential of her works. Be prepared.