Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes
Profile for Jason J Hyatt > Reviews

Jason J Hyatt's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason J Hyatt RSS Feed (Batavia, NY United States)

Frieling Polished 18/10 Stainless Steel French Press, 23-Ounce
Frieling Polished 18/10 Stainless Steel French Press, 23-Ounce
Offered by Modern Everyday
Price: $65.54
18 used & new from $59.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow and a half., June 15, 2004
I had the opportunity to try French-pressed coffee recently and I was sold immediately. The increased character and complexity just blows even the most carefully drip-brewed coffee right out of the water. The first time I saw a sheen of rich oil (normally removed by paper filters) shining back at me from a piping hot cup, I knew I was in for a treat. I wanted to be able have that wonderful French-press taste at work, but the glass carafe of the other models on the market prohibited the rough transport. Enter the Frieling. Holy moose. This thing is amazing. Even decaf has more character and body (which is great for me since too much caffeine just kills my stomach). It's built like a tank so it can withstand a good tumble in a backpack (just toss that ancient enamel percolater you used to take camping right out the window) and the insulated carafe keeps your perfect cup steaming hot. The carafe holds about 3 standard coffee mugs worth which I found ideal. If you're new to French press, do yourself a favor and purchase a good quality burr grinder with a "very coarse" or "French press" setting. They're expensive, but you're wasting your time if you just drop in some generic-grind supermarket grounds; you won't get the proper extraction from the beans and you'll have a lot of icky sediment. Blade grinders just don't give you a consistent grind and they tend to be a bit "dusty" which will leave you with even more sediment. I should note that sediment is a part of a French-pressed cup anyway, but the Frieling has a superfine steel mesh that removes all but the nearly microscopic grounds, which really just adds to the body of the coffee rather than anything unpleasant, and is an essential part of French-press coffee. This is a fantastic buy for anyone who takes their coffee seriously. The Frieling is also outstanding for loose tea so even if you're not a coffee fanatic you can take advantage of this high-quality piece of brewing equipment. I would also reccommend the Vacu Vin coffee saver to store your fresh ground beans so you can savor the perfect cup just about anywhere.

Cooking the Dutch oven way
Cooking the Dutch oven way
by Woody Woodruff
19 used & new from $6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good info, but missing a certain something..., January 21, 2003
Overall this book is just fine for someone interested in cooking with a DO. The mix of recipes is fine, but they just seemed to be missing something. They were all more or less of the "huck a good sized hen into the pot and cook for a while until done" variety. All of the recipes look tasty, though I would have liked to have seen a few more meat dishes, especially some more creative ones. Let's be honest, when you pay for a book you'd like to see more than "...put a 5 lb beef roast into a preheated Dutch oven, salt and pepper to taste, cook until done." Give me a little something to work with here! Inspire me! I can already cook a roast like this in the oven. Having said all of that, I would still reccommend this book. The vegetable dishes and desserts look fantastic and I can't wait to try some of them. As an aside, this is the only Dutch oven book I've seen with heart-healthy recipes as well as more traditional fare. Given that the average DO book requires the use of a metric ton of lard, this will probably appeal to a wider range of cooks.

Cooking in Cast Iron
Cooking in Cast Iron
by Mara Reid Rogers
Price: $14.09
79 used & new from $2.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, not exceptional, January 20, 2003
This review is from: Cooking in Cast Iron (Paperback)
I absolutely adore cast iron and I have purchased a few books on the subject as well as experimenting on my own. I found most of the recipes in this book to be just fine but a little "out there" for your average chef with a big black pan and a pile of burning wood. "Souffleed Bittersweet Chocolate Omelet with Hot Fudge Sauce" and "Sauce Remoulade" are great and all, but where's the "Biscuits and Sausage Gravy?" In all fairness, there is a recipe for biscuits which I haven't tried yet. Overall there seems to be a plethora of recipes which are cute and interesting but likely won't be used very often and a there is a dearth of down-home cookin'. I liked "Cast Iron Cooking: from Johnnycakes to Blackened Redfish by A.D. Livingston" much better.