Profile for Irina Patterson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Irina Patterson RSS Feed

Feminine Feminism (Entrepreneur Journeys Book 6)
Feminine Feminism (Entrepreneur Journeys Book 6)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick educational read full of practical insights, November 12, 2013
In full disclosure, I work with the author really closely at her 1M/1M initiative.

This book is a collection of in-depth interviews with successful women entrepreneurs.
Each interview is a detailed study on how a particular business was built and how each entrepreneur managed to balance her personal and professional priorities.

A quick educational read full of practical insights.

Also a great read for those women contemplating options like family, corporate career, entrepreneurship, being a full-time mom, etc.

Entrepreneur Journeys v.3: Positioning: How To Test, Validate, And Bring Your Idea To Market
37 used & new from $3.17

5.0 out of 5 stars This book rocks as Sramana's two previous books, January 1, 2010
I wrote this review in January 2010... when I was just Sramana's fan. In full disclosure, I am now working for the 1M/1M Initiative and 1M/1M Premium Program that Sramana launched in late December 2010.

I have been Sramana's fan for about a year, since I came across her website: [...] Sramana is passionate about entrepreneurship. She is a tireless entrepreneur advocate and coach through her writing and online strategy round tables.

This book rocks as her two previous books:[...] And although this book is intended for entrepreneurs, I see at least five groups of people who should read this book. Here they are:

1) As intended, budding entrepreneurs with ideas. Read the book slowly to refine your ideas or possibly discard them all together and get much better ideas.

2) Of course, people who are in business. Borrow some ideas for your growth. Although the book doesn't have step by step instructions, with little brain work you can adopt many ideas to your own situation.

3) Looking for a new job? The book can prompt you to interesting employment opportunities.

4) Have money to invest? The book points out quite a few areas of rapid growth.

5) Love consumer tech? Learn about innovation in self-publishing, or new things you can now do with your photos, etc.

As for the intended audience, namely entrepreneurs, here are a few points I gleaned for myself.

1) Define your customer. Most entrepreneurs fail to define the user for their product and run out of steam before they reach profitability.

2) Ask yourself, what other ways already existing product or services could be used?

3) Don't sell tool sets, sell solutions.

4). Analyze the market and look for a gap.

5) Look for established businesses where you can plug in and add value.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am off to re-read the book. :o) It is so idea rich, I couldn't possibly get it all in one pass through.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2011 6:00 PM PDT

Entrepreneur Journeys: Bootstrapping: Weapon Of Mass Reconstruction
Entrepreneur Journeys: Bootstrapping: Weapon Of Mass Reconstruction
28 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I tell every entrepreneur I counsel to buy this book first, August 12, 2009
I wrote this review in August of 2009 when I was just Sramana's fan. In full disclosure, I am now working for the 1M/1M Initiative and 1M/1M Premium Program that Sramana launched in late December 2010.

I tell every entrepreneur I counsel to buy this book first and read it so they can get a broad overview of possible bootstrapping strategies. After they are done with reading this book, we are going chapter by chapter and review how similar strategies can be applied to their particular situation.

It doesn't matter to us that sometimes it is a different market or different business model, we just use this book for base ideas and thinking directions. Then we twist and turn the ideas and make them our own.

I realize that not everyone reads business books that way, but I challenge you to try it. Go slow, take one chapter, list all strategies that were used in it to grow the business, see if this is something you can do.

This is a book that I recommend to read slow and take notes, so you can get the most out of it.

I also can see how Sramana's passion for doing things right could be contagious. Waste of money and resources is painful to her, don't do it! Once you read this book, you kind of want to help and stop waste on any level you can.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2011 6:02 PM PDT

Entrepreneur Journeys Volume 1
Entrepreneur Journeys Volume 1
50 used & new from $0.81

5.0 out of 5 stars I speak for myself: Sramana changed the way I think, view businesses, August 2, 2009
I wrote this review in August 2009, when I was just Sramana's fan. In full disclosure, I am now working for the 1M/1M Initiative and 1M/1M Premium Program that Sramana launched in late December 2010.....

There are a lot of smart how-to books and blogs written on entrepreneurship. I read daily. I always learn something new, or at least refresh some old rules I already know.

But I can't name a book that I read lately that introduced me to a solid system of business thinking, in a way Sramana's Entrepreneur Journeys.

I mentor start-ups in Miami, Florida and I always refer them to Sramana's writing, along with Paul Graham's Essays of YCombinator's fame.

If you are an entrepreneur,you can turn this book into a very practical how-to guide.

Don't just read it. Read a chapter, write key points, see if you can extrapolate the ideas and apply them to your own business. It is like having a mentor in your pocket.

Hold a table discussions with your buddies based on this book. Argue, if you have to. It is a wonderful brainstorm starter.

From my experience many young start ups look for easy steps or lists of things to do or some magic. This book is only a half of magic, the other half is your brain. Put them together and you'll be way ahead.

It is 2:50 am in Miami.. I will probably add more to this review tomorrow...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2011 6:04 PM PDT