Profile for Mary Sheridan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mary Sheridan RSS Feed

Stumbling on Happiness
Stumbling on Happiness
by Daniel Todd Gilbert
Price: $10.27
436 used & new from $2.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Stumbled on a fascinating, funny, memorable book - ordered 2 more, October 6, 2014
This review is from: Stumbling on Happiness (Paperback)
I ordered Stumbllng on Happiness because I'm going to hear Dan Gilbert speak on October 24 and based on skimming a few reviews, it sounded interesting. I'm hooked. I got to page 9 before I stopped to order two more copies because I know I'll want to share it and keep mine.

My husband is accustomed to my reading quietly, but by page 9, I've already laughed aloud enough to interrupt what he's trying to do. I can't vouch yet for how valuable the rest of the book will be, but the writing is fascinating, humorous, fun. I clearly won't finish what I am supposed to be doing this evening.

I wouldn't normally have bought a book with this title because I don't think happiness is something you stumble on, but as I think about it, I must confess that in spite of myself and whether or not I deserve it or planned it this way, I am already happy and most of my dreams have come true, and a lot of good things have happened that I never dreamed might happen.

This book seems very likely to join such favorites of mine as those by Richard Lederer, whose books have given repeated pleasure to this "verbivore" - The Play of Words, Adventures of a Verbivore, etc. I'll review it again when I've finished it. In the meantime, I must call a couple of people tonight.

One dream does remain unfulfilled - there's a someday book in me about some of the serendipities that have made my life in real estate so interesting. Maybe I should get someone with Daniel Gilbert's flair for language to tell my stories.

The relate guide to better relationships
The relate guide to better relationships
by Litvinoff Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Old and still useful help for building better marriage, August 31, 2014
I bought this used for next to nothing, to add to the books I have to lend on a variety of subjects. Although it's old - my paperback was published in 1992 in London - I'm surprised it isn't more widely read and available - Amazon has only one used one at this time. I almost gave mine away and then decided if I couldn't replace it, I'd better keep it to share with more than this young couple. Much of its content is similar to what one reads in the books that are now widely read, in one convenient book that covers a huge range of suggestions to help get off to a good start, cope with learning to communicate better, family dynamics, handling emotions and differences, cementing relationships, coping with changes through life, etc. The questions and exercises are thought-provoking and useful. Like other older books, the format is slightly smaller print, narrower margins, a whole lot less white space, and a lot of information in concise form. A very practical book.

An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness
An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness
by Kay Redfield Jamison
Price: $10.24
610 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable and moving, December 2, 2013
I had never known someone with serious mental illness until recently. I was led to this book when a dearly beloved young woman who is very intelligent, creative, vivacious and warm suddenly (at least as far as we knew) experienced the dark side of being bipolar. It has been sad, frightening, enlightening, and hopeful – she now seems to be comfortable and in control of her life.

In the last few months, when I have occasionally happened to mention our concern to friends, I have discovered that several people could understand far more than I would have expected since they too had been through this – were going through it because the battle is never completely won – and could offer valuable understanding, advice, and hope, and the warning that the medication must never, ever stop, no matter how tempting that is or how little at any time it seems to be needed. Over and over.
I’ve never met a psychiatrist except one whose house I sold.

But the experiences of this exceptional psychiatrist who writes so movingly of her experiences of mania and depression help me understand and feel even more concern and sympathy for a young woman whom I love deeply who is learning to cope with being bipolar. Like Jamison, and the people I know who have some kind of mental illness, she is exceptionally smart, creative, enthusiastic, and the various manifestations of her disease are alternately frightening, frustrating, painful and hopeful for those who love her and would do anything to help her stay within the range of emotions that she can control and that enable her to balance her life.

Just as the pediatrician whose child has Downs syndrome, the radiologist whose wife has breast cancer, the psychiatrist who is bipolar is in a unique position to understand and treat others who face what she has faced, fought and come to grips with.

This book is memorable and I strongly recommend it on several counts. People who are bipolar, people who want to help them, medical professionals, and anyone needs to re-evaluate their perceptions about mental illness so that the stigmas can be outweighed by compassion and understanding that with appropriate treatment and if necessary supervision, people can cope and have productive lives, and even make enormous contributions.

Dr. Jamison makes a valuable contribution to understanding in this book and It’s one of those I will buy in multiple copies to share

Proverbs
Proverbs
by Timothy R. Botts
47 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Timothy Botts treasures, February 11, 2012
This review is from: Proverbs (Hardcover)
The talent of Timothy Botts and the wisdom of the Psalms make a great combination for a beautiful book. My other favorite of his is "Joy in the Journey" which he illustrated for Michael Card's songs. Both are good to have on hand for gifts for any occasion. I keep thinking I should get an extra for me so I can cut out favorite pages for framing. I should see the others - I'm sure they're all beautiful. Joy in the Journey Proverbs

Just Get Me Through This! : The Practical Guide to Breast Cancer
Just Get Me Through This! : The Practical Guide to Breast Cancer
by Deborah A. Cohen
54 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical easy-to-read, also good for friends and family, July 30, 2001
This is the most helpful book so far - recommended by several in support group. When I got this, I�d already read several useful books which were very helpful in understanding the jargon and in weighing the alternatives. They were necessary reading for me, but this is so far the one I�ll go back to, the one I want my friends and family to read, the one I wish I�d read much earlier so I�d have been a better supporter for friends coping with breast cancer. The advice is practical, thorough, well-presented, and a good combination of no-nonsense "this is how it may be" and warm reassurance. The organization is logical and comprehensive. She includes good advice for family and friends, concise technical sections by doctors, a good index, and a very useful list of resources (good after the impossibly long lists which in some other books gave you no idea of what to expect from each).
I�ll be asking people to read this, putting it in church library and recommending it to people who want to help others get through this, as well as to friends who "just need to get through this."

Make Any Block Any Size
Make Any Block Any Size
by Joen Wolfrom
Price: $27.50
57 used & new from $0.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Geometry made easy, for quilters, January 18, 2001
This is a book to keep coming back to, although the method is so simple that now that I've played with it for a little while, I won't feel so frustrated by the need to change block sizes. I stumbled on it after trying to figure out how to work with a 12-inch repeat with a kalidoscope design that called for rotary cutting from strips 6.25 inches wide. So near and yet so far. We graphed it several times and got the desired result, but it would have been far simpler with her technique.
There were several far more experienced quilters in the class, and their comments during the graphing process make me think that a lot of quilters would benefit from this book.
I also appreciated that it will make designing your own patch or adapting something from a picture a simpler process.
I'll buy it when I order some more books in a couple of days - I spent a bundle on fabric already this week. I say that I can either have fun while I make money selling houses or have fun while I spend money quilting. Hard choice.

So That Your Values Live On: Ethical Wills and How to Prepare Them
So That Your Values Live On: Ethical Wills and How to Prepare Them
by Jack Reimer
Price: $15.86
79 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Passing on values - and thinking about them, December 11, 2000
People of any religious background will find value in these suggestions for carrying out the Jewish tradition of leaving, in addition to a will that bequeaths material possessions, "a letter or will that attempts to sum up what parents have learned, what they want most for, and from, their loved ones."
The examples are from a wide range of people in various times - immigrants to America, Holocaust victims, novelists, rabbis, ordinary men and women. They are poems, letters, legal-sounding documents, rambling notes often amended - some examples eloquent, some prosaic.
Some parents give them as children are growing up, at marriage, or some other milestone in the life of the parents or the children, and then again at the parent's death. Some were written on a battlefield or in a concentration camp, with death imminent and little likelihood that the writing would get to the person addressed. The value of writing this kind of will is probably as much in the thought that goes into it and the changes that makes to one's life as in the benefit to those who read later.
The Bible study group to which I talked about this idea were struck by the rabbi's saying that some people are reluctant to put these things on paper because thinking about the values they want to "bequeath" makes people aware of how far they have fallen short of what they wanted to be. How distressing it would be to have the children say, "I didn't realize that was important to him..." instead of "That's what I would have expected, since he said it all his life and we saw him live it." It's worthwhile, if painful, to think about this while there is time to do something about it.
Many of the examples quoted scriptural reasons for the writing, such as David's charge to Solomon: "I go the way of all the earth; be thou strong therefore, and show thyself a man; and keep the charge of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep His statutes...." Then the writer gives his own charge to his children.
Their suggestions for topics are useful: formative events, background, important lessons I've learned, people who influenced me, stories behind possessions I value, Scriptural passages, causes that mean most to me, my definition of success, what I regret, how much I love you.
Although the book would be most meaningful to someone with a Jewish background, it has value for anyone who is serious about passing one's values to the next generation, and is probably most useful for people to consider before a time of crisis arises.
Another good book with similar intent is "Put Your Heart on Paper; Staying Connected in a Loose-Ends World" by Henriette Anne Klauser.

Basic Course in American Sign Language
Basic Course in American Sign Language
by Tom Humphries
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $36.51
42 used & new from $21.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help for beginners, April 5, 2000
For a beginning ASL student, this is an excellent aid. The illustrations of signs show positions and movements clearly. Sentence structure examples are concise and clear, with good practice dialogues and exercises. Vocabulary words are well-indexed and so far everything I've looked up has been in the index. Vocabulary might grow faster if related terms were presented together, but each lesson introduces clearly all the words needed to practice the concepts just introduced.
As a beginner, until I got this book I didn't trust my memory and was afraid I was practicing some signs inaccurately. The illustrations are a great help in reinforcing what I saw in class. (In re-reading this, I notice that I used "clear" too often. But that's the main benefit of the book, so I'll let it stand.)

Teach Yourself Microsoft Excel 2000
Teach Yourself Microsoft Excel 2000
by Dennis P. Taylor
Price: $18.40
62 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction, easy reference, February 29, 2000
For someone who needs quick answers to very specific problems, illustrated in great detail, and indexed very thoroughly, this will be hard to beat. Everything I tried to do was successful on first try. My homebuying clients will appreciate the attractive sheets of financial info. I'm also using it for quick entry of information which I download to my Palmtop.