Profile for JLee > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 417

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JLee "JLee" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Crocs Unisex Classic Clog, Black, Women's 7 US M / Men's 5 US M
Crocs Unisex Classic Clog, Black, Women's 7 US M / Men's 5 US M
Price: $32.40
13 used & new from $25.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Crocs Classis Clogs are the best for summer, May 25, 2015
This review is from: crocs Classic Clog (Apparel)
I love the class Crocs clog. My feet swell in hot, humid weather, and these are the only shoes I can tolerate. I also walk several miles a day to and from work, and these are the best.

I buy wear a size six-and-a-half, and I order the Crocs in size seven to give my feet room to swell. In cooler weather, I wear socks; hot weather, no socks. Also, putting the strap on the back of my heel holds them on when my feet aren’t swelling. When they swell, I push the strap up to the top of the shoe.

They provide excellent arch support. I have very high arches and a very high instep and I am very comfortable in these shoes.

The main drawback is that if it is raining and you walk into a store with smooth floors, swoosh, slip, slide. You have to be very careful. Usually, there is a mat to wipe your shoes at the entrance. Use it.

Also, I have a friend with MS who tells me these shoes do not provide enough lateral support, so if you are unfortunate enough to share that need, these shoes are not sufficient. For everyone else, they are terrific, very, very comfortable.

You can wash your Crocs, best to use a damp cloth, but you can put them in the sink if they get filthy. Most of the time, an occasional swipe along the inside with damp cloth or paper towel is all you need to prevent them picking up odors. If they start to squeak, put some vegetable oil on them overnight and then wipe them off in the morning with a paper towel.

If they are too big, put them in the dryer with a damp towel for a few minutes. If they are too small, do the same, but take them out and put them on and walk around in them to stretch them.

Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900
Honeywell TurboForce Fan, HT-900
Price: $12.79
89 used & new from $11.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fan for the price, May 25, 2015
I bought this fan at a dirt-cheap price on Amazon to replace a much more expensive fan. This fan is comparable and much cheaper, and I am very happy with it and plan to buy another.

The Honeywell has one drawback, and that is the knob to turn the unit on or change the speed. It is very small and slightly difficult to reach and turn. I can handle it, but I know my mother, who had bad arthritis in her hands, could never have managed it. So that might be a consideration.

All of this deep-style fans are hard to clean. My older, more expensive fan started making weird noises, and it’s possible it could be fixed by a good cleaning, as the motor and blades are covered in filth, but it’s hard to reach in to clean because of the depth. I see the same problem happening with the Honeywell.

It is not very noisy. I don’t think it is loud enough for a white noise machine unless you turn it up to high. I can run it on low or medium in the same room as television or music without disturbing.

Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers, Pair, Black
Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers, Pair, Black
Offered by Clear&Honest
Price: $119.99
10 used & new from $65.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers, May 25, 2015
You really can’t go wrong with Polk speakers, and these are a good value for the price. They are about 10 inches tall and very heavy and sturdy, being of solid wood. The sound is good and clean. They are nice for a small to midsize room.

You do need to buy speaker wires. As usual, they do not come in the box.

And, of course, you need a music source as these are only speakers. There are no controls, no power source, no on/off switch. All that is handled through the source. I am using mine with a Denon PMA-50 amplifier.

By the way, these do come two to a box, so the price is for the pair. I actually went to a brick and mortar store to buy these, wanting to hear the sound. The salesperson tried to sell me two boxes of speakers, insisting the price was for a single speaker and that only one was in each box. I decided to leave and check online, as that did not sound right. Sure enough, two to a box, one price, and if I had listened to the sales guy, I would have gotten home and found I had four speakers. So, of course, I bought them on Amazon.

FUSION by Rayovac High-Performance AA Alkaline Batteries, 8-count
FUSION by Rayovac High-Performance AA Alkaline Batteries, 8-count
Price: $5.69
3 used & new from $5.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Batteries, May 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Rayovac claims these Fusion batteries are extremely long lived, lasting 35% longer than Energizer Max. Sounds like a great improvement. I have no way of testing that, being a consumer, but I have to say that so far I have been very happy with their performance. I've used them in a few products that eat up batteries, and they do seem to last and last.

I like that they are guaranteed in storage for ten years. So if you buy a pack to use in a camera on vacation and don’t use them all, you can put them aside for your next vacation.

Rayovac seems eager to back up their claims, offering a money-back guarantee.

Now, this is not, certainly, any part of my rating, but I have to say the batteries and packaging look very impressive. They scream "power." I like that. Of course, that's just advertising, but still, it inspires confidence.

The Space Between Us
The Space Between Us
by Thrity Umrigar
Price: $13.17
561 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, May 21, 2015
This review is from: The Space Between Us (Paperback)
This is a beautifully written and engrossing story, very well done . . . that is, until the end. Oh, the ending.

This book is disturbing, heartbreaking — not a fun read — but one I couldn’t put down. We meet two women in India, each in very different economic and social situations, but both suffering from a lack of power and control in their lives. One appears to have it all, the other appears to have nothing. Both have been through very hard times, and there are more bad times to come. They have been friends for many, many years, but one is the other’s lowly servant. In common they have their survival instincts, their resiliency, and their friendship. They will have choices to make, but in the end, really, they have no choice. Each must continue to be who she has been all along.

This is a shocking and painful story, very sincere, very real. It is impossible not to care for and care about these two women. I very highly recommend it, but I must warn in advance that the ending is unsatisfying and unrealistic. Still worth reading? Yes, emphatically, yes. The fact is, I don’t know how else to end the book. People’s stories don’t end as long as they are living, so perhaps the book really shouldn’t have an ending either.

The Light In The Forest
The Light In The Forest
DVD ~ Artist Not Provided

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good movie for any ages, May 20, 2015
This review is from: The Light In The Forest (DVD)
How nice to see this old (1958) movie available again! I saw it ages ago and never forgot it. I’ve looked for it on DVD for years.

This movie is quite typical of the sort of entertainment Disney made in the 1950’s, along the line of Davy Crockett and Zorro (the Guy Williams TV show). It is an intimate movie, easy to be viewed by a family watching on a small screen. There is a good effort into having the setting, language, costumes and props be authentic. It doesn’t look cheap, but it’s not some big, loud special-effects movie. It resolves its issues of identity, trust and belonging quite quickly and simply. It is sincere and heartwarming, and it can be enjoyed by anyone of any age.

A very young James MacArthur plays Johnny, a teenage boy who was adopted by a Delaware Indian chief, and known in the village as “True Son.” The British seek a treaty with the Delaware, part of which requires them to return all white captives. In return, the army will keep white settlers out of the Indian territory. (All this takes place in 1764, between the French and Indian Wars and the American Revolution.) True Son regards himself as a true Indian and does not want to leave his tribe, but his father insists he abide by the treaty. True Son dislikes the whites, especially because of a group of whites, known as the Paxton Boys, recently slaughtered a group of Indian women, children, and old men. This, unfortunately, was a real event. True Son learns that he will be living among the Paxton Boys. One in particular, played by Wendell Corey, is quite the villain.

True Son is aided in his transition by an army scout named Del Hardy, played by the ever-charismatic Fess Parker. Del Hardy had lived with the Indians as a child, and understands True Son’s nature. True Son’s white mother is played by Jessica Tandy. She has a relatively small role, and at first seems strict and unyielding, but apparently she is simply as uncomfortable as is True Son – now known as Johnny – at their reunion.

Johnny makes one other friend, the Wendell Corey character’s indentured servant, played by Carol Lynley. It would have been easy to predict the impact she would have in later screen appearances. She’s very good and very likeable as an innocent young girl in a bad situation.

True Son/Johnny is torn back and forth, but, of course, we know what will happen in the end. The Indians are treated with respect, and the bad guys learn their lesson. It’s all very comforting and enjoyable, except for one truly embarrassing character. Poor Joanne Dru is forced to portray a man-hungry, desperate husband-hunter, and her character is so two-dimensional and forced that her scenes are painfully awkward. After a day’s filming, I’m sure her face hurt from being stuck in that eager, simpleton grin. I cringed through each of her scenes.

I purchased the only copy of this movie I have ever found on DVD, and it is the “classroom edition.” It includes some suggested activities for teachers. There are also additional learning aides on the DVD, but they must be accessed on a computer. I did not check those out.

I highly recommend this very pleasant movie.

Griipa Stainless Steel Corner Bin
Griipa Stainless Steel Corner Bin
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $10.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Holding Tight, May 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am very happy with these bins. I have had them up on the tiles around my bathtub/shower for well over a week now, and they are staying in place, tight and secure. Each is holding several bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. One is set up as a corner shelf, against two walls. The other is set at the edge, with the bin only touching one wall.

I followed the instructions for attaching to shiny tiles: For each one, I first thoroughly cleaned the tiles and let them dry. Then I measured where I wanted to put them, making sure I had the spots for the two holders level. Then all I had to do was peel the backing off the holders and place them on the wall. I double-checked to make sure they were even and level, then slid the bin onto the holders. Each bin has two parallel bars at the top a short distance from each other for that purpose and the holders fit between the two bars. That’s it.

The holders are flat and tight against the wall and have not budged since I put them up.

I used two holders for each bin, so for the bin where only one side is against a wall, I had two side-by-side holders. I was worried that that bin might not hold up, but so far, it is just as tight against the wall as when I first put it up.

If you do not have a shiny surface to adhere the holders, the package comes with adapters. Those would be applied to the dull surface and then the regular holders attached to them. I did not use and cannot further comment on them.

I did notice one small issue, and that is why I am giving these four stars and not five. When I went to slide one of the bins into place, I noticed that the two bars were not quite in line. One protruded slightly. In other words, both bars would not set flush against the wall. It was a very small, but noticeable, difference, and I thought it might affect the shelf’s staying power. However, in this case, it did not bother me, as I was using this particular bin at the side of the wall, not in a corner, so only one side had to be flush against the wall.

Sing in the Morning, Cry at Night
Sing in the Morning, Cry at Night
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful novel, May 15, 2015
A beautiful and affecting novel, with sincere and real characters. This book affected me deeply. It chronicles the after effects of the death of a young girl, but it truly is about the entire family and a way of life. Each of the main characters is fully drawn, with a personality, a history, faults and fine points -- they don't just appear for the sake of the deceased needing a mother or a father or a sister or whatever, as in so many lesser novels. They have reasons for doing what they do, saying what they say. The town they live in also is portrayed so that I could really imagine living there. We see neighbors, co-workers, store owners, and church ladies as real people, some likeable, some not so much. And the mine! Believe me, I felt the dangers of working in a coal mine, especially for the young children.

I have to say that many years ago, a young girl in my family died in a similar manner, although in her case, it was done purposely by some boys for fun, and I know how it affected the girl's mother, especially. This happened before I was born, but my mother was present and told me about it many times. The girl's mother was taunted and harrassed by the boys (who, of course were never punished, just "boys being boys") for months afterwards, and she slowly lost her grip on reality and finally killed herself. I found myself, as I was reading this book, picturing her facing her Grief. It was heartbreaking.

This is a beautifully written book with unforgettable characters, and I highly recommend it.

ICUP Disney Frozen Elsa Be the Character Apron
ICUP Disney Frozen Elsa Be the Character Apron
Price: $16.66
7 used & new from $11.22

4.0 out of 5 stars How cute! Needs pockets, May 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Isn't this the cutest thing? Okay, I'm officially a grown-up but that doesn't mean I can't have fun. I got this apron is for me. It could be for anyone who loves Frozen -- isn't that just about everyone? It's just about a one-size-fits-all as the "ties" are really one very long piece. That means you can adjust the neck area and pull it up or lower, as you please, and I really like that feature. Then the ties around the waist are very, very long. A smaller person can wrap them around twice, but a plus-size adult will still easily be able to fasten it.

The one thing I would add is a large pocket or two. This is the only apron I own that doesn't have pockets, and they are so convenient for a paper towel or holding a spoon or a spice jar until you need it. I really miss not having a pocket.

Silk'n Electronic Pedicure File and  Callus Remover
Silk'n Electronic Pedicure File and Callus Remover
Price: $29.49
4 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've tried, May 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had others of these electronic callus remover devices before, and I have to say, the Silk'n is the best one I’ve used. It is the fastest and gave me the best results.

I walk several miles a day, and my feet show it, especially the dreadfully dry and cracked skin on my heels.

I was able to get very good results with one try with this device. Granted, my feet at this point (early May) aren’t as bad as they will be during the summer, but still, to be able to get them smooth with initial use is really amazing.

Be sure to put a lotion on your feet afterwards. I use either Badger foot balm or Vaseline Intensive Repair lotion. I use the device once a week and put the balm or lotion on my heels every night before I go to bed.

This device comes with two batteries, but I would recommend getting some rechargeable batteries when they wear out.

It comes with two rollers, a coarse and a fine. I usually just use the coarse. It does not hurt at all, but don’t use it more than a few seconds in any spot as it will take off skin and you don’t want to go deep.

According to the manual, the rollers should last about a year. That is my only concern. My other devices came with extra replacement rollers, and they did not last a year. It’s impossible for me to say at this point how long the rollers on the Silk'n device will last. Not only does it not come with any replacement rollers, but you actually need to replace the entire top part – the rollers themselves are not removable. Instead, the entire head removes (as you would do to switch between the coarse and the fine) and so the entire head must be replaced, not just the rollers. I could not find any replacement heads for sale, so I assume that essentially, this is a toss-after-a-year product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20