Profile for Hank Hancock > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 81

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hank Hancock "Hank" RSS Feed (Las Vegas, NV USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
GE WB13K21 Igniter for Oven
GE WB13K21 Igniter for Oven
Price: $26.27
15 used & new from $19.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Before you buy a new oven, try replacing the igniter., November 25, 2014
As Murphy's law would have it, our oven stopped heating Monday morning - only three days before Thanksgiving. The igniter was glowing bright orange which made me believe there was some other problem. Doing some reading on the Internet, I learned that the igniter can glow bright but develops an internal resistance that prevents the safety gas valve from opening. Our oven is 13 years old so based upon my reading I concluded the igniter was likely the problem.

I ordered a new WB13K21 igniter from Amazon Prime and had it sent overnight. It arrived this afternoon. It took 20 minutes to replace the old igniter and VIOLA - the oven works again! A $27 part vs. a new $800 oven. Murphy must be very disappointed.

All this to say it was indeed an old igniter that developed resistance. The new igniter was an exact replacement and solved the problem. Thanksgiving is on in our home!

DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start
Price: $399.97
7 used & new from $399.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A good generator for the price., November 8, 2014
I have a Honda 2000i generator. I used it for emergency lighting and keeping the refrigerator and freezer running during power outages. However, it wasn't large enough to run my evaporative cooler in the summer too. Power outages have been becoming more frequent and lasting longer so I figured it was time to get something larger and with a key start so my wife can start it if I'm away.

After looking at reviews on various generators, I finally decided upon the DuroMax XP4400E. It arrived well packaged and was relatively easy to assemble. I knew before it arrived that it didn't come with oil so I picked up a quart of Mobile 1 synthetic and filled up the crank case. I hooked up the battery, filled up the gas tank, closed the choke, and turned the key. After turning over for maybe 15 to 20 seconds, it started right up.

I let it run for awhile then changed the oil and put the battery on a small battery tender to keep it topped off. Several months have passed since purchasing the DuroMax XP4400E. We had a power outage lasting several hours just awhile back. It started right up and did a great job keeping everything powered.

Because the desert heat can turn fresh gasoline stale quickly, I always add a little Stabil gas stabilizer. I also change the oil after each few hours of runtime.

Overall, I'm pleased with the generator. If my experience with it should change, I'll update my review.

Monoprice 100647 50-Feet 3.5mm Stereo Plug/Plug M/M Cable, Black
Monoprice 100647 50-Feet 3.5mm Stereo Plug/Plug M/M Cable, Black
Price: $8.79
5 used & new from $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A great 1/8" (3.5mm) male/ male cable for the price, November 4, 2014
I did a computer controlled Halloween "experience" this year using a professional stage lighting board, lights, and controller. I needed to run audio from the lighting board to a powered set of speakers outside, which was close to a 50' run. After reading comments on other cables I decided upon the Monoprice 100647 50-Feet 3.5mm (1/8 inch) Stereo cable, which had the highest reviews compared to the others.

The cable is built better than I expected and I'm pleased to report that it had sufficient shielding that there was no buzz or static coming from my outside speakers. It worked out well for me. I'm pleased with how it performed and with the purchase.

Manchester Tank 10054 5# ACME/OPD Vertical LP Tank
Manchester Tank 10054 5# ACME/OPD Vertical LP Tank
Offered by Life and Home
Price: $64.99
18 used & new from $50.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A great LP tank that packs tight and offers flexibility, October 31, 2014
I have an off-road tent trailer that I use for research in the Desert Southwest. I go out for four to five (sometimes up to 10) days at a time. Space is at a premium so I found a mounting kit for this Manchester Tank 10054 5# ACME/OPD Vertical LP Tank to mount it to the outside of my trailer. It provides me enough propane to cook without taking up space. It's the perfect size for my needs.

I purchased three of these tanks. In the winter, I need additional LP for heating and will pack two of them inside the trailer cargo area if needed. One might ask why not pack a larger tank? These pack tighter and I like the flexibility of bringing one, two, or three tanks according to my need.

Neiko 01924A Ultimate Self-Adjusting Wire and Cable Stripper
Neiko 01924A Ultimate Self-Adjusting Wire and Cable Stripper
Offered by California Tools
Price: $10.01
10 used & new from $10.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better wire strippers in its price range., October 30, 2014
I've used many wire strippers in my career. They all have types of wires or cables they work very well with and some not so much. While the Neiko 01924A does occasionally fail to strip some smaller gauge wires, it seems it is the insulator material more than the stripper. Using a manual stripper I still had problems with a particular wire that the Neiko 01924A also struggled with. It seemed the insulator was glued to the wire conductor rather than coating it. I don't think it is possible to design a wire stripper in this price range that handles every insulation material perfectly.

Overall, I found that the Neiko 01924A is one of the better automatic wire strippers I've used. It has become my "go to" wire stripper in projects where I need to do a lot of stripping. It is adjustable for smaller gauge wires and it doesn't knick the conductor (a real plus in my book).

URC MasterControl RF20 Universal Learning Remote with RF Capability
URC MasterControl RF20 Universal Learning Remote with RF Capability
2 used & new from $45.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great remote once you figure it out, some quirks with macros, an instruction manual that could be better., October 30, 2014
My Sony Commander with touch screen learning remote finally kicked the bucket after more than 10 years of excellent service. Unfortunately the whole Commander series was discontinued so I went looking for its replacement. After reading the reviews on many learning remotes, I finally decided to purchase the URC MasterControl RF20 Universal Learning Remote.

I have a Sharp LCD television monitor. For some reason, this remote could not learn all of the keys from the remote control for the Sharp despite trying every distance, angle, and whatnot. For everything else, it had no problem. I'll chalk that up to something odd about the Sharp remote. There's other oddities about the Sharp LCD I won't belabor.

The macro functionality is a bit more limited compared to the Sony Commander as the URC MasterControl RF20 Universal Learning Remote, while it will allow you to assign macros to main menu keys, it still thinks those keys belong to the default device that was originally assigned and will display the sub-menus for that device while executing the macros when that's not what I wanted. I was never able to figure out how to override that behavior.

I was eventually able to get the macros programmed for one-touch convenience with a few work-arounds and a few resets back factory default settings to start over and try different ways. The manual, although informative, didn't provide the level of information I was hoping for. At the end of the day, and following some effort, it is now working like I want so it's a keeper.

I knocked one star off because the instruction manual didn't provide the level of detail I needed. Otherwise, it meets my need.

120-Inch Spandex Projector Screen. 5'x9', 16:9, 3D DLP Ready, Portable, Lightweight, Wrinkle Free with both Front & Rear/Backlit Projection (Compare to: Favi, Epson, Da-Lite, Goo Systems, Elite Screens, Camp Chef, Mustang, Black Out Fabric...)
Offered by EZ3D
Price: $79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but a little overpriced for what it is, October 28, 2014
I'm a DIY sort of person. I purchased this 120-Inch Spandex Projector Screen to build a 9' x 5' homemade outdoor rear projection screen. It's a bit pricy for what it is but I have to say it worked out well for my intended use. You do have to make sure the projector is either above the viewing angle or below as the bright light from the projector lens can be seen through the cloth. Since my projector has keystone correction it's an easy matter for me. I simply set the projector slightly lower than the screen and it's not a distraction.

The spandex comes in a small bag folded up. I was concerned that the folds would be visible after set-up. They're not - they come right out once the fabric has been stretched per instructions.

I knocked one star off because I think this kit is a bit overpriced for what it is. That said, it's less expensive than purchasing rear screen projection screen materials designed for professional use.

Transparent Glass Stain 2 Ounces-Green
Transparent Glass Stain 2 Ounces-Green
Price: $8.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for recoloring Christmas lights too!, October 28, 2014
Every Christmas, I set up a Christmas Lights to Music (and video) light show. The show choreographs 18,000 solid colored lights using 212 light controllers and stage lighting software to music and video show content.

It is expensive to replace an entire light string because you have several bulbs that have lost their color coating and almost as expensive to purchase replacement bulbs. So, each year, I hang each light string from a special made rack and recolor any bulbs that have lost their coating and showing white instead of the color it's supposed to be. I use several different colors of DecoArt Transparent Glass Stain. I leave the lights on for an hour and the heat from the bulb cures the stain. It works great and holds up better to the elements than the original bulb coatings. I rarely need to re-color a bulb that has been previously re-colored with this stain.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2-Pack - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters)
AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2-Pack - 6.5 Feet (2 Meters)
Price: $7.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HDMI cables, October 28, 2014
Having purchased a new Sharp monitor with HDMI input, I needed some cables. The AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2-Pack is an excellent bargain, they are well built, and deliver an excellent picture quality.

ViewHD Premium Five Port HDMI 5x1 Powered Switch (Best Compatibility | Best Auto Switch)
Offered by J&R Galaxies

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent solution displays with one HDMI port, October 28, 2014
I have a Sharp LCD monitor that provides only 1 HDMI port. I needed additional ports for my Blu-Ray player and laptop (for playing rented iTunes movies). The ViewHD Premium Five Port HDMI 5x1 Powered Switch works perfectly. I especially like that it will automatically switch to the latest device that is powered on. I programmed the remote control into my learning control so I can switch ports manually if it want.

I'm very picky about picture quality. Curious if it caused any degrading of picture quality, I compared the picture going directly from my Blu-Ray player to my Sharp then again from my Blu-Ray player through the ViewHD Premium Five Port HDMI 5x1 Powered Switch to my Sharp. I'm pleased to report there was no noticeable degradation of quality.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this little box. It offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9