Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Profile for JB Reads A Lot > Reviews

Browse

JB Reads A Lot's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JB Reads A Lot "JWB" RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2
New Functional Training for Sports 2nd Edition
New Functional Training for Sports 2nd Edition
by Michael Boyle
Price: $18.03
35 used & new from $15.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Elevating the fitness industry., June 28, 2016
Mike Boyle delivers! If you want to know what one of the brightest minds in the fitness industry is doing to get amazing results, then get this book. He doesn't hold anything back - you get the background info, the theory, the practical application, the programming and even access to exclusive videos on how to coach the exercises correctly. Pretty amazing deal for such a little bit of money.
I've been reading, watching and going to see Mike for over a decade. He is one of the few sources of legit info in our industry because he has been there, done that and is still doing it. He doesn't just train a few folks (or merely himself) and then spin a bunch of articles online to make himself famous. He is the real deal.
Also, I can't believe I'm the first to write a review! 15 years on Amazon and this is the first time:-).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2016 7:24 PM PDT

Slim by Design: Mindless Eating Solutions for Everyday Life
Slim by Design: Mindless Eating Solutions for Everyday Life
by Brian Wansink
Price: $18.57
71 used & new from $6.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Get slim by design - simple, research based hacks to lose weight, June 5, 2016
Get slim by design - simple, research based hacks to lose weight.
How does your kitchen make you fat or slim? How about how you shop, go out to eat, or how you have food displayed at work?
All of these things matter and this book gives you practical ways to mindlessly lose weight.

The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field
The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field
by Mike Michalowicz
Price: $15.14
87 used & new from $9.86

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple, effective plan for growing an awesome business!, June 5, 2016
The pumpkin plan delivers a simple and effective plan for growing the kind of business that most small business owners would like to own - a lower stress (eliminating the bad clients/customers), and higher profit business. He does a great job of creating analogies and providing case studies from a wide variety of businesses so you can get a clear picture of how to apply this to your own business. He also does a good job of providing the specifics of how to implement this, and the worksheets that accompany the book are great.

Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, A.D.D., Dyslexia, A.D.H.D., Depression, Schizophrenia
by Natasha Campbell-McBride
Price: $21.29
122 used & new from $14.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, but life changing results, March 22, 2015
I'm in my mid-30's and I got this book for myself and for helping my own AS symptoms. So far I am 3 months in, and while the protocol is *very* difficult to follow, it's also been very effective. I've spent thousands of hours and dollars on social skills and communication training, and I think that the last 3 months have made a bigger difference in the quality of my relationships and life than anything else.

I don't know if this will work as well for everyone else, but it's been amazing for me both personally and professionally - I'm a better husband, father, son, brother, friend, boss than I've ever been before.

One warning: in my experience you *must* do it 100% with no modifications to get results. Anything less is just frustrating.

Enter the Kettlebell! Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen
Enter the Kettlebell! Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen
DVD ~ Pavel Tsatsouline
7 used & new from $23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars get it from the master, January 28, 2014
If you're looking to learn about kettlebells, why would you look to anyone but Pavel (or somebody he's trained or who has been through his training)? Don't fall for the crossfit nonsense and the "american swing" catastrophe. Get the real deal. Get this and everything else Pavel has ever done.

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
by William Davis
Price: $11.98
825 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really outstanding book on nutrition, June 29, 2012
I read 60+ books per year on exercise, nutrition and health, and this book is the best nutrition book I've read since Good Calories, Bad Calories. This book provides a much deeper understanding of how wheat may be behind many of the weight, skin, energy, other health issues you may be having. I've been experimenting with my own body and with my employees, family and some of our members and it looks like Dr. Davis is right.

This is a great read. Very informative and practical, and actually a bit of fun.

The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series)
by Mark Sisson
Price: $18.53
251 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poor execution, June 8, 2011
It is very, very clear that he doesn't currently make his living working with actual people - especially on the fitness end. If you put out a book with "blueprint" in the title, it should have a real blueprint in it.

So he is correct that our ancestors didn't eat the junk we know call food, and that conventional gym "science" is wrong, HOWEVER; his delivery of how to implement the alternative is almost completely useless and really not much better, and it is just as completely unsubstantiated (in how he presents it, and his actual implementation advice).

He makes so many assertions that have absolutely no evidence to back them up. For example, pg.185, "It's hard to imagine Grok stretching much beyond a yawning feline-style spine elongation upon waking, hanging lazily off a branch, or engaging in the timeless, all-purpose stretch of squatting down to the ground."

Grok is his imaginary caveman (ostensibly from every climate) that we should be patterning out workouts after.

Assumptions:
1. Cavemen didn't stretch (maybe, maybe not, but we have no idea)

2. Since cavemen didn't stretch it is therefore bad for modern humans to stretch. (he does talk about "recent research" that says "the central nervous system is disturbed by such activity [stretching], resulting in what scientists call a neuromuscular inhibitory response." (that is THE point of stretching by the way - it is a tool to inhibit over-active muscles)

3. All modern humans need to address all of their flexibility/mobility needs is to hold a full squat for 20sec (he makes this point on the next page)

N0!

It is safe to assume that paloe-man didn't have a desk job, but modern man does have a desk job nearly all of the time.

That is a BIG issue (I know, I work with actual human beings... currently). That dramatically alters how our body functions. Everyone who works at a desk has tight and over active muscles on the front of the hip; those have a profound impact on most everything else in the body.

Sitting needs to be "un-done", and one of the ways you can do that is with stretching. Sitting for 12 hours a day is a force that our bodies adapt to, and those adaptations are generally bad for us, and generally need to be corrected often because we sit often.

Deep squatting is great, BUT, fully 75% of the adults we get into our gym can't do it. We can get them to do a deep squat, but that requires several things - one of them is stretching certain tight muscles.

That is the only point that I am going to take the time to address.

There are many others.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2014 5:05 AM PST

Just Mobile Mtable Monitor Stand (ST-288)
Just Mobile Mtable Monitor Stand (ST-288)
2 used & new from $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for increasing desktop space, April 7, 2011
I've got a laptop and a big external monitor, before I had someway of putting the laptop under the monitor without crushing the computer my desk had no space left for anything else and I didn't have the office space for more desk. This is a GREAT addition for my office - doubles or triples my desk space and allows me to put all of the computer stuff at the back edge of my desk so I have front for whatever I want.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2012 12:20 PM PDT

Movement: Functional Movement Systems: Screening, Assessment, Corrective Strategies
by Gray Cook
27 used & new from $145.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for professionals, April 7, 2011
Great for professionals... good for "hard core" consumers who just like to know about things more in depth, but not at all for people looking for a "do it yourself" book on fitness (not what it is intended to be). I was initially put off by the price, but I have since purchased 4 copies as it is that good - everyone on my staff needed their own copy. I've come to the conclusion that it costs more because its worth more:-). Additionally, it has links to downloads on certain parts of the material that are very good.

I think that somebody else was upset that Gray didn't include info that was in other products in this book (i.e. corrective exercise strategies for portions of the SFMS, FMS, etc). I guess I can see his/her point, however I am glad that this book is not just a re-packaging of his other work. That is actually one the good things about Gray's (and Lee's) work in general - same underlying philosophy, but each thing actually has unique material. The secrets DVD sets have stuff, the kettlebell DVD's have stuff on them, the lower body performance DVD has stuff on it that is NOT simply a repeat of all previous work.

No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline
No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline
by Brian Tracy
Price: $13.59
100 used & new from $7.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoever you are, you need to read this book, March 9, 2011
Great mostly because it simply reminds you about you already know you should be doing and does it in such a compelling way that you will be prompted to actually DO some of the things you have only been thinking about.

Maybe if you are the sort of person who has never missed a deadline or never been dissapointed in yourself or never failed at anything, then maybe you don't need this book; but for the rest of us humans its a great and fast read.

Page: 1 | 2