Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Jaylia > Reviews

Browse

Jaylia's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1072

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jaylia RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
for LG G4 Purple Quilted Faux Leather Pouch Case Cover Stylus Pen ApexGears (TM) Phone Bag
Offered by ApexGears USA
Price: $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Darker color and too large for LG G4, May 23, 2016
The case I received is much darker than shown in the photo--I thought at first it was black--and it is about half an inch too tall for the LG G4 so the phone slide around in the case.

The Translation of Love: A Novel
The Translation of Love: A Novel
by Lynne Kutsukake
Price: $16.79
91 used & new from $2.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving and deeply interesting, May 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Translation of Love is both moving and deeply interesting. My favorite fiction opens up some part of the world that I knew little about, so I enjoyed this well written historical novel centered around two young girls in post-WWII Japan. The backgrounds of the two girls are very different. Aya has been deported to Japan from Canada with her father and feels like an outsider, while the always hungry, headstrong Fumi is hoping to find her missing sister. Fumi bullies Aya at first, but their relationship changes as the story goes on. The author does a great job of weaving together all of the book's storylines.

Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge: A Singaporean Mystery
Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge: A Singaporean Mystery
by Ovidia Yu
Price: $12.80
87 used & new from $0.73

5.0 out of 5 stars More interesting than your average cozy!, May 16, 2016
This is my third adventure in Singapore with Aunty Lee, a motherly sleuth who runs her own cafe and reasons through clues with a sort of food inspired philosophy. As was the case with the first two books, I enjoyed the story and characters of this one so much I was sad to have the book end. Since the books are set in Singapore they have an international multicultural cast, including characters who are Chinese, Indian, Malay, Eurasian, Filipino, European and American, which makes the stories a lot more interesting than your run of the mill cozy. There are always plenty of woven-into-the-plot tidbits about life in Singapore, including its laws, culture, family dynamics, and, of course, food, which also makes these mysteries stand out.

The books are told from multiple points of view, with transitions handled smoothly. Auntie Lee, a wealthy widow, makes a wonderful main character. She’s highly observant, loves cooking for and being around people, is curious to the point of nosiness, and is determined to be of service, even when her “services” aren’t exactly appreciated. This episode involves animal rights activists and--of course--murder, and though Aunty Lee’s investigations should be hampered because having twisted her ankle she’s limping, Aunty Lee knows how to work with what she has and the injury really doesn’t slow her down much at all.

I read a complimentary advanced review copy of this book, supplied to me by the publisher through the website LibraryThing. Review opinions are mine.

The Light of Paris
The Light of Paris
by Eleanor Brown
Price: $20.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Talented author, May 16, 2016
This review is from: The Light of Paris (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Light of Paris is a beautifully written and moving story that includes transporting glimpses of Jazz Age Paris, but I did not love it the way I do The Weird Sisters, the author's previous book. That book is one of my all time favorites and I've re-read it several times, so it would have been hard to live up to.

The two main characters in this book, Madeleine in 1999 and Madeleine's grandmother in the 1920's, are bullied by their families (and in Madeleine's case by her husband and his family also) but Madeleine seemed to me too old to need to learn that she should live her life her own way, not as her mother and husband dictate, especially since she is living in almost contemporary times. But Eleanor Brown is a talented author and I suspect the main issue for me is just a matter of personal preference, and that this story line didn't appeal to me as much as The Weird Sisters. I look forward to her next book.

IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Kitten Dry Cat Food 3.5 Pounds
IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Kitten Dry Cat Food 3.5 Pounds
Price: $7.49
9 used & new from $7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for them kitten food that's fairly tasty, May 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our kittens like but don't love this. They eat it, but don't rush over when we open the bag the way they do for some other cat food products. I like that it doesn't upset their stomachs, and it's a product I'm happy to serve them because the ingredients are relatively good, especially compared to many other brands.

IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Lively Senior Dry Cat Food 3.5 Pounds
IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Lively Senior Dry Cat Food 3.5 Pounds
Offered by Devereux Sales
Price: $18.93
2 used & new from $11.32

5.0 out of 5 stars A big favorite of our cats, May 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I did not expect my cats to like this "it's good for them" senior cat food, but they love it. We currently have several brands of food for them, but this is the one they are craziest about--they even rub up against the bag to let us know which option they want.

Reese's Snack Mix Tubes, 2 Ounce (Pack of 10)
Reese's Snack Mix Tubes, 2 Ounce (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible!, May 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're a fan of chocolate, peanuts and Reese's candy this is an irresistible sweet/salty, creamy/crunchy snack in convenient portion size packaging that I hope will prevent over indulging. Each "tube" of is 280 calories, so while it's not diet food it's also not too far off, assuming you can keep yourself to one portion.

COLOR WOW Color Security Conditioner, Fine to Normal Hair, 8.4 lb.
COLOR WOW Color Security Conditioner, Fine to Normal Hair, 8.4 lb.
Price: $23.00
2 used & new from $23.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good results, April 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a light conditioner, but a little goes a long way and it left my hair with body and shine without making it feel heavy or greasy. The scent isn't overly strong. It's on the expensive side, but you don't use a lot at a time so the tube will last longer than you would normally expect.

Eligible: A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice
Eligible: A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice
by Curtis Sittenfeld
Price: $15.60
91 used & new from $11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, gripping and thoroughly modern, April 21, 2016
This thoroughly modern and completely fun Pride and Prejudice update has Liz as a New York City magazine writer, Jane as a yoga instructor, Mary as a perpetual student accumulating online graduate degrees and Kitty and Lydia as exercise fad obsessed partiers. The Bennets hail from Cincinnati Ohio and as the book opens Liz and Jane are called back home because their father has had a heart attack. Things at the house are falling apart so Liz and Jane end up staying for the summer to (hopefully) straighten everything out. While back in their hometown they meet two newcomers, Chip Bingley, a charmingly sheepish reality star from a TV dating show, and his stuck up friend Fitzwilliam Darcy, who is (of course) a neurosurgeon.

Since I know the plots of these Austen Project updates stay close to the original novels, I wondered how Curtis Sittenfeld would incorporate P&P’s decidedly 19th century elements, like the entail on the Bennet estate and Lydia’s scandalous elopement, but Sittenfeld succeeded brilliantly on all counts. Both funny and moving, it took me about a chapter to be drawn in, but then I couldn’t put this lively, gripping book down--which is especially impressive since I already knew the basics of how the story would turn out. Eligible’s first line makes an au courant nod to Austen’s iconic opening sentence and is a perfect start for this unapologetically up-to-date retelling.

I read an advanced review ebook copy of Eligible supplied at no cost to me by the publisher through NetGalley. Review opinions are mine.

Wellness Complete Health Hairball Control Chicken & Rice Natural Dry Cat Food, 11.5-Pound Bag
Price: $37.99
7 used & new from $37.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconclusive results, April 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Some cats are hard to please. I love the non-junky ingredient list of this hairball reducing cat food, but while our younger cat is enthusiastic about eating it the two older (pickier) cats aren't interested and won't do more than sniff it. Since the hairball issue is mainly with one of the cats who refuses to try the food I can't report on how well it worked.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2016 12:40 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20