Profile for Alex Honda > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 735

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alex Honda "onyx575" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Aussie Instant Freeze Hair Spray, 8.5 oz, 2 pk
Aussie Instant Freeze Hair Spray, 8.5 oz, 2 pk

3.0 out of 5 stars Smells Like Final Net, *NOT* The Same Scent As SCRUNCH SPRAY, April 20, 2015
The AUSSIE INSTANT FREEZE HAIR SPRAY doesn't smell like the "Scrunch Spray" which is the wonderful smell of the original "3-Minute Miracle" conditioner. I really like that original scent and so I purchased this hoping it would smell the same but it doesn't. It's smell OK -- reminds me of the 80s "Final Net" hair spray scent -- but I wanted the other scent.

I only give it 3-stars because the spray nozzle clogs up and you can't use it. I'm not sure if it's getting clogged in the actual face of the nozzle or the stem but this also happened on the AUSSIE SCRUNCH SPRAY. To fix it I took another nozzle spray top from an empty bottle of a different brand and use it on this bottle and the problem was solved.

The hair spray does hold pretty stiff so use it sparingly. I only spray the front of my hair to give my part some lift and I noticed that it doesn't flake and you can wet it to re-stiffen it or reshape your hair when you're out and about.

Agatha Christie's Poirot, Series 12 [Blu-ray]
Agatha Christie's Poirot, Series 12 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ David Suchet
Offered by westcoastmedia
Price: $25.87
16 used & new from $20.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Same Movies As "Movie Collection 6" - But Includes ORIENT EXPRESS., April 20, 2015
If you haven't already bought the "Poirot: The Movie Collection Set 6" and/or the separate Blu-Ray of "Poirot: Murder On The Orient Express," and instead have started your collection with the AGATHA CHRISTIE'S POIROT SERIES like I did, then you should definitely pickup POIROT SERIES 12.

Fellow Amazon reviewer Paul J. Mular does a pretty good job explaining the differences between the Poirot "Movie Collection" set and the Poirot "Series" sets, which really confused me when I started buying the "SERIES" Blurays since many of the more recent episodes weren't available on Blu-Ray and I started finding the "movie collection set" DVDs, but they both contain the same movies/shows that were broadcast, just not in the same order. As long as you started with POIROT SERIES 1 and have continued in sequential order ending with "SERIES 13" you will have all of the episodes; there is no difference between the shows on the "Poirot The Movie Collection" and the ones on the "Poirot Series."

This is the second to the last set of AGATHA CHRISTIE'S POIROT: SERIES starring David Suchet as Hercule Poirot.

I had originally bought the stand alone Blu-Ray of POIROT: MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NPJE6U1T0O9W/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003L80FLC - here's the link to my review for that disc) and was surprised by the different characterization of "Poirot" by Suchet, which was really dark and short tempered. I can't remember which "Series" I had finished I think 4 or 5, while waiting for the Blu-Ray release of the subsequent ones and maybe that's why I was taken aback. I've never watched the shows while they were on the air, so I had to wait for home viewing and would watch back-to-back. When I bought the stand alone "Orient Express" Poirot was very different from what I was used to. According to IMDb the show started in 1989 and "Murder On The Orient Express" aired in 2010, so the show has been on for quite some time with obvious breaks/gaps in between, and during that time the show morphed from a sequential type series to more feature length films.

Interestingly enough as I was able to go forward and watch the episodes in broadcast order, I was not as off-put by the change in character once I got to MOTOE. Perhaps as the show went on subtle changes in characterization was happening and so it wasn't so stark once you get to that episode, but when you watch from the earlier shows and jump to this one it's very different.

Anyway, this includes the special of Suchet on the real Orient Express.

Definitely pick this up if you don't already have the "movie collection" set. If you haven't started with any of the "Poirot" series, you don't need to have seen any of the previous ones to enjoy each of these episodes since they work as stand-alone shows. Also, I don't know if they follow the Christie stories to the letter so I can't comment on that but I enjoyed watching the entire series.

*** SPECIAL FEATURES ***
"David Suchet on the Orient Express" (2009) - 47-minutes:01-second

Follow the actor as he goes on board the real Orient Express, going from the UK to Venice to Prague. You get to see the compartments, the dining car/bar, the porters, and there's wonderful historic footage included as well, and Suchet interviews the train's experts, and real passengers riding on board the iconic train. Suchet even gets to drive the Orient Express on one stretch of track. And you also get to see some beautiful scenes of Venice as David gets to spend some sightseeing time on a quick stop before heading off to Prague.

* Photo Gallery*

Febreze Air Effects Allergen Reducer Air Freshener, Clean Splash 9.7 oz (2 pack)
Offered by Splashdeal
Price: $14.99
9 used & new from $5.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Clean Splash == STINKS!, April 19, 2015
This FEBREZE AIR EFFECTS CLEAN SPLASH spray smells like dried urine to me. I don't know if I got a bad can, I bought this elsewhere because it says it reduces allergens, but the smell is really odd. It's awful!

I don't know if actually reduces allergens but with a smell like this, who cares? It smells like dried urine and feet. And that scent lingers. I like other Febreze sprays so I don't know what's going on with this one, but I had to throw it out.

Midnight Lace
Midnight Lace
DVD ~ Doris Day
Price: $19.98
10 used & new from $19.98

4.0 out of 5 stars *EXTRAS* And Pretty Good Movie With Some Fun Thrills In It., April 1, 2015
This review is from: Midnight Lace (DVD)
I enjoyed watching MIDNIGHT LACE starring Doris Day and Rex Harrison.

The movie is a suspenseful thriller where Day plays this stereotypical "damsel in distress" -- I guess this was the accepted norm for female characters in 1960 who weren't the bad girl femme-fatales in Noir films -- named Kit Preston, a vanilla white newlywed trophy wife who has recently moved to London to be with her husband Anthony Preston (Harrison). Someone starts threatening to kill poor Kit, once in a fog-filled park and then endlessly on the telephone, with this high-pitched, sing-song voice and the poor woman is terrorized to the point of madness! But she looks great clutching her head with both hands with the look of absolute HORROR on her face, crying, as the phone rings incessantly, while things go bump in the dark, and poor Kit is frozen with fear.

In the storyline viewers only hear the threatening voice twice, in the beginning and the end, and the other characters never hear it until the end, so one is never quite sure if Mrs. Preston is actually receiving threatening calls from the same person, what the voice is actually saying, or if she's just becoming unhinged and imagining all of it or worse making it all up because she feels neglected. This plot device is what keep viewers interested in the movie until the end, and where Day really shines in this characterization as the hysterical wife, because one can see all of the above outcomes being possibilities. At times you want someone to kill her, at others you think she's making it all up, still others one thinks that she's losing her mind, and that keeps viewers watching until the truth is revealed.

Anyway, listening to the fabulous intro by TCM's host Robert Osborne and we learn that this movie was so emotionally taxing that Doris Day had a nervous break-down during the filming and vowed to never do another like it.

The picture quality is pretty good, but I do notice a haze around the shots with Day and Myrna Loy (who plays her Aunt Bea), which was probably in the actual source film (I heard that gauze and Vaseline was used as a camera filter on movies from this era as a way to make actresses more ethereal and dreamlike, not to mention ageless/no wrinkles, on the big screen) so that probably couldn't be helped.

I took off one-star because of the above and some viewers might actually have trouble with suspension of disbelief especially with certain scenes in the movie -- of course context is everything -- like when the caller calls, why doesn't Kit hangup immediately instead of listening, crying and shivering and asking "why?" as she continues to listen to him? Of course we wouldn't have a movie in that case, but some viewers will find it hard to believe and quite comical at times. Also, NO SPOILER, but at end, it seems very odd as though some scene was cut-out, but the very end is nonsensical.

Roddy Mcdowall, Hermione Baddeley, and handsome John Gavin co-star in the movie as well. I think Gavin's character is supposed to be British but his accent isn't really there especially when he's in scenes with Baddeley, but with a face like his who's listening?

There's some good extras on this DVD as well:

*** SPECIAL FEATURES ***
* Intro by Robert Osbourne

* "High Style Elegance of Midnight Lace" - Fashion Featurette - 06:32-minutes
More like a fashion show this special has the costume designer, Irene, describing the wonderful clothes that Day wears in the film, as test shots are showed with Day modeling the outfits. This promo was actually played in theaters and the clothes were displayed in department stores according to the text at the beginning of this featurette as a way of drumming up publicity for the movie.

* Stills
Numerous stills from movie posters to lobby cards, fashion sketches to publicity stills, and you can select by category.

* TCM Db Article
This is a text article written about the movie for TCM's site that provides additional information on filming and what the various stars had to say about the picture.

* Radio Interview - 03:59-minutes
Excerpt from a radio interview with Day about the movie.

* Doris Day Animal Promo - 01:02-minutes
Commercial featuring Day asking viewers to consider pet adoption.

* Trailer

As long as you aren't expecting too much from this movie, I think most people will enjoy MIDNIGHT LACE in a cult-like way. I'm not sure why she looks like Dinah Shore on the cover, but Doris Day is pretty good in the movie and it's a shame she didn't do more thrillers! After all, who else but the whitest woman in America could portray such utter helplessness and madness convincingly?

Herbal Essences  Wild Naturals Rejuvenating Conditioner, 13.5 Fluid Ounce
Herbal Essences Wild Naturals Rejuvenating Conditioner, 13.5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $5.39
3 used & new from $5.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely *Scented* Leaves Hair Soft, March 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the CLAIROL HERBAL ESSENCES WILD NATURAL HAIR CONDITIONER.

It has a nice grapefruit scent and leaves my hair nice and soft. I've got very thick and dry hair so I usually have to apply some leave-in conditioner, otherwise my hair will end up looking like a Q-Tip, so this was no different. However, even without that extra step my hair was nice and soft with just rinsing with this conditioner.

There's other stuff in the ingredients like a lot of alcohol derivatives (I assume to stabilize the other ingredients) so be aware of that fact. Also, I haven't notice the conditioner striping out my hair color or causing any scalp irritation so that's also a plus.

Exposure: Deluxe Edition
Exposure: Deluxe Edition
Price: $21.99
28 used & new from $10.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Booklet Comes With *LYRICS* And Additional Info! Great *DEBUT* Album! *Expanded* On 2 CDs!, January 28, 2015
It's about time that Exposé's debut album be given the deluxe treatment. I loved EXPOSURE and so I was overjoyed when I found out that Cherry Pop in the UK was releasing this 2-CD expanded version of it. I'm amazed that it's usually Japan or the UK that does these lovingly expanded re-issues of older soul/disco/r&b music from the USA (look at Universal Japan's reissue of the original Donna Summer "Live & More" album or Big Break Records UK expanded edition of The Pointer Sisters "Break Out" album for example), while the US record companies just keep putting out the same stuff just repackaged (I'm still waiting for a Janet "Miss" Jackson's CONTROL album to get an expanded makeover).

I only know the original album (I actually had it on cassette) and the old CD, so I don't know if many of these remixes have been released before, as another customer stated, and I think I have two remixes that are on a "Free-Style" compilation, but I'm not sure if they're the same as on this edition, so mostly all of these extra tracks are new to me.

On track #6 "Point Of No Return" from the original album, the track listed here on CD 1 is the extended version and runs 6:08-minutes. I no longer have that old cassette tape, but on the previous CD version of EXPOSURE this track is only 3:29-minutes, so that's one difference that I found, but that might be because the CD version had an edited version of the song -- I can't remember if the track was longer on the original.

The remastering sounds fantastic and I think Cherry Pop did a great job.

EXPOSURE DELUXE EDITION comes with a booklet featuring the lyrics to all songs, track annotations by the song-writer Lewis Martineé who talks about the inspiration for each song and how it came about, liner notes by Bill Pitzonka written on Aug 2014 that includes interviews with Jeanette Jurado, Gioia Bruno, and Ann Curless discussing how the group was formed etc., discography, some publicity pictures from back then, and single/album sleeve pictures.

According to the liner notes there was a different group of singers who initially recorded "Point Of No Return" and "Exposed To Love" and featured lead vocals by Alé Lorenzo, who sounds exactly like Jeanette Jurado, and in the credits on lead vocals in the booklet it lists Lorenzo as the singer of both songs that feature the 1985 mixes. Jurado --once the group was formed with the lineup of Bruno, Jurado and Curless -- went back to the studio and recorded her own vocals on the two songs and Lewis Martineé says that if you owned any of the first 125,000 pressing of the EXPOSURE album you have Lorenzo's vocals, and any after are Jurado. I didn't know that so the liner notes were very informative.

However it should've been mentioned that Gioia Bruno was diagnosed with throat cancer (I think that's what it was), which caused her to drop out of the group and be replaced by Kelley Moneymaker, while she recovered, and eventually she rejoined the group. I learned all this when I saw them perform at an LGBT Pride Festival back in either late 90s or early 2000s and Bruno was back in the group, and all were in fine voice.

Another interesting tidbit is the group's performance at the famed Apollo Theater in New York, which you can find on Youtube, when they were touring. They brought the house down and I remember watching this on TV.

Anyhow, if you were a kid in the 80s and went out clubbing you'd know this album and so I definitely recommend picking it up. If you like "High Energy/Free Style" music from the 80s then EXPOSURE is what you need.

Normally, I don't really care for remix versions of songs, but in this case all of the additional tracks are based on the strong hits from the album and the remixes are extended mixes that doesn't change the song around too much.

It Happened One Night [Blu-ray]
It Happened One Night [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Claudette Colbert
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $21.46
36 used & new from $17.70

5.0 out of 5 stars *LOTS* Of Extras on *BLU-RAY*, January 7, 2015
I finally watched IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT after seeing the iconic scene a number of times that featured Claudette Colbert hitch-hiking with Clark Gable and using her leg to get a car to stop. Now I see why this is considered a classic and why it swept the Oscars.

If you haven't seen the film, Colbert plays a spoiled heiress who is on the run --rebelling from her father-- and she crosses path with Gable portraying a reporter; they meet on a night bus to NYC and one thing leads to another and suddenly they fall for one another.

The beauty in this story is the fun that audiences get to share in as the characters go along the journey from being indifferent and almost hostile toward one another to falling in love and that's what makes it a classic. Supposedly IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT was the film that started the genre of the "romantic/screwball comedy" and the chemistry between Colbert and Gable is spot on.

This new CRITERION BLURAY edition of IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT also comes with a bunch of extras that should keep fans happy and has been digitally restored. I was reading another review that said the Blu-ray's picture quality was on par with the DVD release and since I haven't seen that version I can't comment on it, but the image on BR looks good to me considering that this movie is from 1934.

The blacks are black, the image is sharp and clear, and there aren't any visible dust/hair/scratches that I can see.

***** EXTRAS *****

"Frank Capra, Jr. Remembers" -- featurette (11:16-min/ 1999)
Son of director Frank Capra discuses how the movie came about (it was based on a short story called "Night Bus") and was filmed in four weeks.

"Screwball Comedy?" -- featurette (38:36-min/ 2014)
Film critics Molly Haskell and Phillip Lopate talk about the film and how it came to signify the genre of the "screwball comedy" and they also discuss Capra's filming techniques.

"Fulta Fisher's Boarding House" -- silent short film (12:03-min/ 1921)
Capra's first movie that was based on a story/ballad by Rudyard Kipling.

"Frank Capra's American Dream" -- documentary (01:36:02-min/ 1997)
Hosted and narrated by director Ron Howard this full length documentary shows Capra from his humble beginnings to becoming a powerful director/story teller. And it shows the ugly side of America's past as Capra was investigated by the House Un-American Activities Committee during the McCarthy witch hunts. It also talks about Frank's last movie he directed (which was a remake of his own "Lady For a Day" and that was "Pocketful Of Miracles") and it's ironic for me because this remake starring Bette Davis was the movie that introduced me to Frank Capra. He became disillusioned with Hollywood and making films because the studios no longer trusted the director and all movies were now being star driven -- in this case it was Glenn Ford who was calling the shots, I don't know why since I never saw Ford as that big of a star or money maker -- and the "star" was basically telling the director how to make the movie. Another interesting note is that "It's A Wonderful Life" was not a commercial success when it was released, only to be rediscovered years after, which would then become the great Christmas classic we all know now.

"AFI - American Film Institute - Tribute To Capra" -- special (59:11-min/ 1982)
From its 10th anniversary, the AFI salutes Frank Capra and features many of the Hollywood greats that starred in his movies including Bette Davis, Jimmy Stewart, Claudette Colbert, and Peter Falk. There are also many other celebrity cameos as they reminisce and talk about Capra who was present with his wife and children and grand kids. I must say that I was impressed with Colbert's speech: she went up on the stage and gave a touching recollection of working with Frank and Gable and IHON and she did so without cue cards and no teleprompter (most of the other celebs on stage including Davis and Stewart used cards which is why I noticed).

Trailer

Mini Poster with close-up picture of Colbert and Gable along with information about the transfer and liner notes including an essay by Farran Smith Nehme who blogs about classic films.

I think the CRITERION BLURAY of IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT is definitely worth buying for all movie lovers.

Men In This Town: London, Tokyo, Sydney, Milan and New York
Men In This Town: London, Tokyo, Sydney, Milan and New York
by Santamaria, Giuseppe
Price: $14.32
76 used & new from $10.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book on *Men's* Style With Good Range Of Ages & Races, January 5, 2015
Wonderful and inspirational book that features men from all walks of life.

What I really like about Guiseppe Santamaria's book MEN IN THIS TOWN: LONDON, TOKYO, SYDNEY, MILAN AND NEW YORK is that he photographs men of different colors and ages, and with different styles of dress, so you aren't just looking at guys wearing 3-piece suits.

There are several spotlight interviews with a few guys in the book, but for the most part this book has limited text descriptions of the outfits.

The pages are printed on thick, but matte pages and it comes with its own bookmark.

Mommie Dearest, limited-edition CD
Mommie Dearest, limited-edition CD
4 used & new from $41.95

5.0 out of 5 stars *NO* Incidental Dialogue From Movie, But Still Great!, January 5, 2015
I'm a HUGE fan of the movie MOMMIE DEAREST and so when I found out that the soundtrack was released on CD, I had to buy it!

The CD contains the wonderful musical score that was in the movie and fans of it will have no trouble discerning, by the sound, which scenes each track comes from.

Unfortunately there isn't any incidental dialogue from the movie on the CD (like on the Brian De Palma movie soundtrack of "Carrie"), but it's still a fantastic score.

I didn't know that Henry Mancini was the compose of the film's soundtrack.

This limited edition CD contains a booklet with liner notes by author Jeff Bond that provide insightful information on the behind-the-scenes of the movie and synopsis of each track and what was presented in the accompanying scene for those who haven't seen the film. The booklet also contains color pictures from the movie.

I Love Lucy Die Cut Wall Calendar (2015)
I Love Lucy Die Cut Wall Calendar (2015)
by Day Dream
Edition: Calendar
Price: $11.39
3 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Dates Are In The Rectangular Section!, January 2, 2015
Although I like the graphics and the shape of the I LOVE LUCY HEART SHAPED CALENDAR, it's only half the size of my previous "I Love Lucy 2014" wall calendar by Mead.

Because of its unique shape this calendar is folded in half for display purposes meaning that the date part is actually contained in the rectangular-shaped bottom, while scenes from the show are in the heart shaped part (the Mead calendar had the picture on the top half and the dates on the bottom half so it was larger and easy to see). That makes seeing the date or any written in schedules hard to see unless close-up.

Even though I schedule appointments and dates into my phone calendar, I still write them in on the wall calendar as a reminder because I hang the calendar next to my bed and can see the month's schedule.

I should've paid more attention to this detail. It's OK but the small date section defeats the purpose of having a wall calendar.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20