Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Alex H > Reviews

Browse

Alex H's Profile

Customer Reviews: 774

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alex H "onyx575" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DII Bone Dry Very Warm, Silky Soft, Morrocan Paw Print Pet Blanket For Couch, Car, Trunk, Cage, Kennel, Or Dog House, 48x67", Blue
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great To Keep Fur Off The Bed!, June 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The DOG BLANKET by BONE DRY is a very soft and plush blanket with one side being smooth like silk while the other side has soft and fluffy faux fur.

Since it's warming up my dog likes to sleep on the silky side. I've taken this blanket with me on a trip to Palm Springs, so that my Shiba can sleep on the bed without getting hair on it (this was a rental home). It folds up nicely and is very light weight.

I've also washed it 3 times already and it shows no sign of fading or falling apart.

The blanket is so soft that you can use it for yourself, too.

FobGuard - Ideal Faraday Cage to Protect Car Keyless Entry Fobs
FobGuard - Ideal Faraday Cage to Protect Car Keyless Entry Fobs
Offered by FobGuard
Price: $29.95
2 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars *BLOCKS* Signal EFFECTIVELY! Extra Security For Key-less Cars, May 22, 2016
It works! The FOBGUARD FARADAY POUCH for keyless car key (or electronic key) does block the signal, so the car can't be started and the doors can't be opened.

I bought this pouch, which is black and has a Velcro closure at the top, because I saw a news report that said thieves can buy an electronic device on the internet that magnifies/extends the range of electronic keys, so your car will think you are in the vicinity. With that device they can unlock your car door (and more than likely start the car to drive off with it) and the news showed surveillance footage of car thieves in action all over the place in underground garages and parking lots, opening cars and stealing the contents. They were in and out of the cars in minutes and gone without leaving a trace since nothing was broken or jimmied or forced. It was quite alarming.

Recently I got a new SUV which uses the key-less entry and push-button start, so I immediately purchased the FOBGUARD. Even though I don't keep anything valuable in my car, have my own private garage, and have a GPS tracking system built into the SUV in the event it does get stolen, I would rather not go through the headache of dealing with all that. You know the saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

I can say that it does the job. Once I received it I put my electronic key in the pouch and put it inside my bag (which is how I normally carry the key). I got into my car to start it and I get the message on my dashboard saying key is not in range and so I had to take it out of the pouch, which then allowed me to start the car, so this little pouch definitely does what it is designed to do.

Needless to say I'm happy with this purchase. The only thing I wish was different about the FOBGUARD FARADAY POUCH is that instead of Velcro I would have preferred a zipper closure, but maybe the Velcro provides a better seal.

So I now store my electronic key in it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2016 1:55 AM PDT

Zinus Deluxe Ultima Memory Foam Shoulder pillow-Set of 2
Zinus Deluxe Ultima Memory Foam Shoulder pillow-Set of 2
Price: $46.25
2 used & new from $46.25

4.0 out of 5 stars I Prefer The FIRMER Tempur-Pedic Pillow, May 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The ZINUS MEMORY FOAM SHOULDER PILLOW is comfortable enough, but I prefer the firmer support of my Tempur-Pedic.

I found the pillow to be smooshy/squishy and very soft, yet still provided support. The pillow didn't trap heat and my queen size pillow cases fit them fine.

There was a slight new car odor coming from them when I first took them out of the box but it went away and wasn't bothersome at all.

I found that you can sleep on your side or back with the ZINUS PILLOW but it didn't really keep me or help me stay in the side sleeping position.

Ministry of Sound: 80s Groove
Ministry of Sound: 80s Groove
Offered by B68 Solutions Limited
Price: $14.99
34 used & new from $6.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Songs Are From The *70s*, May 17, 2016
A great collection of singles from the 80s but some of them aren't from that era.

There are a couple of songs that definitely came out in 70s like Cheryl Lynn's "Got To Be Real," Sly & The Family Stone's "Family Affair," Bill Wither's "Lovely Day," Earth, Wind & Fire's "Fantasy," Odyssey's "Native New Yorker," and Sister Sledge's "Thinking Of You," (although the latter was recorded for the album We Are Family and released as a B-side it was officially released as a single in 1984 according to Wikipedia).

Not that I'm complaining because those songs are classic no matter what era they were released in and stand the test of time, I just think that MINISTRY OF SOUND: 80S GROOVE could've used those slots for actual singles released in the 80s.

Otherwise this 3-CD set is a great buy for the price (if it's under $15) and include a mix of artists and songs. The CDs are housed in their own plastic holder in a cardboard tri-fold case. A couple of paragraphs describe the genre that's on the CDs but nothing in-depth.

Love's Theme (Alternate Version)
Love's Theme (Alternate Version)
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrics Added To "Love's Theme" Sung by Love Unlimited., May 6, 2016
This is the wonderful Barry White song "Love's Theme" with additional lyrics by the vocal group Love Unlimited. It's hard to find as the instrumental version is usually the one that's on compilations and the one that best known.

DII Cleaning, Washing, Drying, Ultra Absorbent, Lattice Microfiber Dishtowel 16x19" (Set of 4) - Teal
Price: $6.99
2 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad But Not As Long As Regular Dish Towels, April 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These DII CLEANING DRYING CLOTHS are nice, soft and super absorbent. I use them to wipe my hands and dishes off and I also use one to wipe my dog's paws after washing them under the water when we come in from outside.

They're pretty soft and for the most part, lint-free. Time will tell how they hold up but I've already ran two of them through the washer and dryer and they look good as new without piling or threads pulling out.

The only drawback is that these are not as long as a regular rectangular dish towel so they tend to slip off of towel racks like the one on the oven door. Aside from that these are pretty good and seem to suck up water.

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 3 [Blu-ray]
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 3 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Essie Davis
Offered by twilightmedia
Price: $23.38
27 used & new from $19.33

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Get Enough Of *Phryne*, March 17, 2016
Another fun season! I'm hooked! I love MISS FISHER'S MURDER MYSTERIES: SERIES 3 starring Essie Davis (Phryne Fisher) and Nathan Page (Jack Robinson). The rest of the cast are back as well including Ashleigh Cummings (Dot), Hugo Johnstone-Burt (Hugh Collins), Richard Bligh (Mr. Butler), Travis McMahon (Burt), Anthony Sharpe (Cec), Miriam Margolyes (Aunt Prudence) and Tammy Macintosh (Dr. Mac) and they all still work well together.

If you haven't seen the show MISS FISHER'S MURDER MYSTERIES is based in part on a character named "Phryne (Fry-Nee) Fisher" who is a flapper and super sleuth, featured in books by Kerry Greenwood (Cocaine Blues: A Phryne Fisher Mystery (Phryne Fisher Mysteries)). The show takes place in Australia, during the '20s and I can't get enough!

This season has Inspector Jack Robinson (Page) and Phryne (Davis) getting closer, with Dot (Cummings) and Hugh (Johnstone-Burt) tying the knot. Of course there's murder throughout and we get to go along for the ride.

There's also 36:27-minutes of special featurettes, with a "play-all" selection or you can just watch one or two, that talk about the sets, costumes, the story lines and the characters. Also included is a 7-minute character clips (these are the actors in character telling you about the shows, probably commercial teasers in AUS TV), an 8-minute long "Mr. Butler's Drink of the Week" (featuring Richard Bligh in character as Phryne's butler "Mr. Butler" making cocktails), and behind-the-scenes photo gallery.

I hope there will be a season 4 for "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" because it's such a fun and likable series. If you like Agatha Christie's Poirot, Series 1, any of the Agatha Christie's Marple: The Julia McKenzie Collection series, or MURDOCH MYSTERIES COLLECTION: SEASONS 1-4, then you'll LOVE "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Timberland Men's Odelay 4-Eye Camp Moc Oxford, Bough Brando, 9 M US
Timberland Men's Odelay 4-Eye Camp Moc Oxford, Bough Brando, 9 M US
Price: $74.29
17 used & new from $72.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable Right Out Of Box, March 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually don't like TIMBERLANDS because the boots always felt strange on my feet. Wearing them and it would feel like I was wearing the wrong side on each foot.

These TIMBERLAND MOC OXFORDS don't have that same problem. They're very comfortable right out of the box and I wore them the first time without socks.

Normally I don't walk for extended periods or stand on my feet for long periods of time, so I don't know how these shoes will feel in those situations, but I did wear them to work and also when I was out running errands (doctor's office, lunch, store etc.) and I had no issues.

The length seems a tad bit long, but the width is okay. I wear a 9 Men's in Cole Haan and Converse Chuck Taylor's, and the size 9 in these fit just right. The color I got the "Bough Brando" color that's listed on Amazon, but the box says Burgundy. The shoe is a nice brownish-burgundy color (see picture).
Comment Comment | Permalink

Old Mother Hubbard Gourmet Goodies Fruit'ins Honey, Apple & Bacon Natural Crunchy Dog Treats, 6-Ounce Bag
Price: $5.99
7 used & new from $5.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Snack For Dogs, March 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a 5-year old Shiba and she's very picky about what she eats.

She doesn't go wild over the OLD MOTHER HUBBARD FRUIT'INS, only meat will do that, but she does eat them.

The biscuits are little crunchy squares and they smell pretty good that I'm tempted to try one. LOL.

No God On Duty
No God On Duty
by Alfred Buschek
Price: $17.95
22 used & new from $7.98

4.0 out of 5 stars No Winners In War!, March 8, 2016
This review is from: No God On Duty (Paperback)
Disclaimer: I'm the author's nephew, however, we haven't been in contact for nearly 3 decades (I was estranged from my father) and it was only recently that we re-connected because of my father's passing. At the time I knew him in the past, my uncle was not an author.

NO GOD ON DUTY is a book about the incredible struggle to survive for a woman whose husband is sent off to war and she is left to care for her four young boys alone in Vienna, Austria, during World War II. The harrowing tale talks about the brutality of the Nazis and how the citizens of Vienna were caught between Hitler's madness and the allied bombings. Many were left without homes and food was scarce. After their one room apartment was leveled by one of the air raids, the family had to leave and go to Weissenbach, Germany, where the woman's father lived. Since they had no car and no public transportation was running, the woman and her sons had to walk, which took them nearly one-month, all the while dodging strafing from Russian planes that shot indiscriminately at the ground. Once they get to Weissenbach, the family lives without electricity or running water and many times they do not have enough food to eat. The mother goes on drinking binges every now and then and the boys are left to fend for themselves. Even after the war ends the struggle continued as Marie and her four boys had to watch out for the Soviet soldiers, poverty, alcoholism, and tried to rebuild their lives from the ground up.

This book really exposes the terrible price that citizens of a country have to pay during a war. There are no winners.

Although the book is fictionalized it's basically a memoir written by my uncle Alfred Buschek as he remembered it of the childhoods of him, my father and my other uncles.

The book could use a good proof-reader, but otherwise it's an honest and unashamed look at survival and has a strong narrative tone (like someone telling you a story). Although the book is about one family, I'm sure it reflects what many people were going through not only in Europe, but in Japan, Italy, and in the former Soviet Union; and probably describes what many families are going through today in different parts of the world where war and civil unrest is going on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20