Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Profile for Alex H > Reviews

Alex H's Profile

Customer Reviews: 748

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alex H "onyx575" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
No Show Socks For Men By Jays, 3 Pack, Quality Cotton, Lge Silicon Heel Pad - Size XS
Offered by Totem Accessories
Price: $17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars These Stay On, But If You Wear Smaller Than 9 Men's Shoes Might Be Too Long, October 1, 2015
These NO-SHOW SOCKS have a very large silicone pad on the heel so it stays on, unlike some other brands with the small dot or strips on the back, since it has more of a gripping surface .

I got the size XS-Mens because I wear a size 9 in loafers and dress shoes (Cole Haan, John Varvatos Star, also 9 in Chuck Taylor Converse) -- in sneakers I wear between 9 1/2 -10 1/2 (Nike, Adidas) -- so I went with the XS according to the Stomper Joe size chart and these fit just right. In fact they could be a bit smaller length wise for a tighter more secure fit because the back part of the sock I have to tuck down a little because my Cole Haan ZeroGrands push the sock a touch above the rim, so some of it shows until I push it back down. Otherwise the fit is on point.

If you wear a smaller size than a Men's 9 the XS may not fit well, and that's the smallest size for Men, so if I were you I'd look for the comparable size in the Women's section of the same sock.

Walking around this past weekend to dinner and bar hopping, these STOMPER JOE'S NO-SHOW SOCKS stayed up. Normally when I wear the other brands the heel will slip off inside my shoe and I have to stop and take off my shoe and fix it, which is a pain!

I also got these in the tan color and I've washed the pair I wore. Since the silicone pad in the heel was a solid piece (oval shaped) I thought it might become loose or something after I threw them in the washing machine, but there was no change.

Nexxus New York Salon Care Shampoo, Oil Infinite 13.5 ounce
Nexxus New York Salon Care Shampoo, Oil Infinite 13.5 ounce
Price: $9.99
8 used & new from $9.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes Hair *Soft* But Contains SLES & CB, September 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
NEXXUS OIL INFINITE SHAMPOO does make my hair soft and manageable. I find that I don't have to use a conditioner after shampooing and after showering, I don't have to use a leave-in conditioner (except a little on the ends so that my hair doesn't look too wiry) .

It has a perfumey scent something like Frankincense incense and one of those inexpensive perfumes that they sell in the drugstore, which might be the oil in the shampoo. The scent is strong when you put it on, but after rinsing off it's not bad.

Another reviewer said that this shampoo didn't lather up well enough, but I didn't have that problem. It does contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Cocamidopropyl Betaine, which are chemicals used to make products like shampoo and facial/body cleansers foam up, so it lathered up very nicely for me. Those ingredients also cause some people who are allergic to them or have sensitive skin, get skin irritation; some even say that it causes negative reactions to those who have no allergies or sensitivities, but who knows?

As long as you're fine with those ingredients and you don't mind the scent, the NEXXUS OIL INFINITE SHAMPOO should be good for use.

EasyClip 2-Speed Nail Grinder, Pet Grooming, ANG-1 (65880)
EasyClip 2-Speed Nail Grinder, Pet Grooming, ANG-1 (65880)
Price: $38.78
47 used & new from $31.19

5.0 out of 5 stars No More *Jagged* and *Sharp* Nails!, September 22, 2015
I like the ANDIS PET NAIL GRINDER even though I still use the manual nail clippers on my Shiba.

I found that by cutting with the manual clippers her nails get jagged and rough and they hurt when they come into contact with my skin. So the Andis helps with that issue.

Normally I clip her nails after her bath, her nails get really long, and then the next day I'll use the ANDIS to further shorten the nail (since I keep far from the quick) using the sanding head. I then follow that with the polishing stone head, which smooths out the nail and keeps them smooth even after they grow out. I couldn't be happier since her nails no longer scratch when they come into contact with human skin.

I initially had the Dremel Nail Grinder but after a couple of years the battery wouldn't hold its charge (and it didn't come with a polishing stone). The ANDIS PET GRINDER is corded so I don't have to worry about that.

The kit comes with a case, instruction sheet, extra sanding bands, polishing stone head, 1 large drum head, 1 small drum head, wrench, and a silicone covering that you can use on the unit for better grip, but I don't use it.

Clara Ward Gospel Concert: The Ward Singers Record
Clara Ward Gospel Concert: The Ward Singers Record
Price: $14.99
34 used & new from $7.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Recorded *LIVE* At The *Apollo*, September 20, 2015

According to the liner notes on the back of the CD insert, the concert took place at the famed Apollo Theater in '63, and sounds like two different sets because there's a break/gap between some songs, but that might be due to having to change the recording equipment. It's very short only 37-miutes, but they pack a lot of energy into that half-hour. These are all (for the most part) up-tempo foot stomping gospel numbers and Clara sounds like she's conducting the singers egging them on with "sing-sing-sing- SING!"

Most of the Ward Singers are doing the leads, but Clara does take on some of the vocal duties. Ward has a very distinct voice much like Petula Clark, Barbra Streisand, or Donna Summer, so you can hear it very clearly even though she's surrounded by other very well-toned singers.

The audio sounds pretty good being from 1963 and it does sound like a concert with the audience hooting and clapping.

Since this is a Japanese import the updated liner notes from 2014 are in Japanese.

Hershey's Caramels in Milk Chocolate Stand-Up Bags, 7.2 Ounce (Pack of 15)
Hershey's Caramels in Milk Chocolate Stand-Up Bags, 7.2 Ounce (Pack of 15)

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft & *Chewy* Caramels, September 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The HERSHEY'S CARAMELS IN MILK CHOCOLATE are really good. They're soft and chewy and perfect for when you want a sweet treat.

The caramels aren't overly sweet and the chocolate on the outside gives it just a hint of flavor, so you still get the caramel taste.

I'm not sure if these are good for those who wear dentures, though. The caramel is soft and chewy and a bit sticky so these candies might stick or pull dentures out. Otherwise these are pretty good.

Three pieces equals one serving which is 220 calories.

I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season One [Blu-ray]
I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season One [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ I Love Lucy
Price: $33.38
33 used & new from $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars More Stuff For I Love Lucy Fans! "Call For Philip Mor-Ris!", September 15, 2015
It's hard to believe that so many classic episodes came from I LOVE LUCY SEASON ONE but you get the Vita-Meta-Vega-Min (Lucy Does A Commercial), Lucy as "Carmen Miranda" (Be A Pal), Lucy Bakes A Giant Bread (Pioneer Women), Frozen Lucy (The Freezer), and Lucy torturing Ricky's scalp (Ricky Thinks He's Getting Bald) episodes, which are some of my favorite.

Even though I already owned season one on DVD, I was curious as to how they could possibly improve on the picture. On the Blu-Ray, the image looks as though it's almost in 3D where the foreground really comes into sharp focus. I seem to notice more detail in the pattern of the furniture, walls, and the characters' clothes that I didn't seem to notice on the DVDs. There's a definite improvement in picture quality from watching I LOVE LUCY on video tape and even on reruns on television (when you jump from that to the DVDs), but it's a little harder to discern the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray.

You probably don't need to do the upgrade unless you're like me a die-hard I LOVE LUCY fan because the real difference in image quality is just that the foreground really pops on Blu-Ray, whereas on DVD the image is clear in both foreground and background.

I believe all the extras are ported over from the DVDs and this time the Blu-Ray allows you to watch with the actual sponsor commercials throughout. This is really interesting. I don't know if this is how it was done originally but the sponsor (in this case Philip Morris) is introduced in the beginning presenting the show and then talks about the product. During the first commercial break it goes back to talking about how great it is to smoke Philip Morris cigarettes, and then there's one more before the end of the show. I'm wondering if this is how I LOVE LUCY was shown back then, not just ILL but all shows, with one sponsor who gets to plug their product solely throughout the show.

It's entertaining and you get a kick out of the misinformation that Philip Morris was telling the audience. If you don't want to listen to the whole thing you can press the "Next" arrow on your remote to skip it and continue on with the show. You also have the option of just playing the "hear on satin" opening, which is what we're all used to, but then you don't get the cute animations and there's some toward the end of the season where Ball and Arnaz take part in the promos.

The Blu-Rays come housed in a regular sized clamshell case that holds all 6 discs, each Blu-Ray on their own holder, and the insert cover comes out so you can read episode information, synopsis and air date, for those who are looking for a certain episode.

Another great addition, I don't remember this on the DVDs, but on the special features here they discuss the supporting cast most were recurring actors/actresses who didn't have lines but were in almost every episode of I LOVE LUCY (like Hazel Pierce who Lucy fans will instantly recognize as she's in most of the background shots) so that was great to know.

I posted some pictures that I took of the TV screen showing the comparison in the special features of how the restoration has improved the video quality from what is being played on television now. The right side of the image shows the restoration, big improvement, while the left shows the image untouched.

Now that the price is almost half, I think any fan of I LOVE LUCY would love ULTIMATE SEASON ONE!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Echoes of an Era
Echoes of an Era
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $14.32
46 used & new from $8.06

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pre-Cursor To ClassiKhan! It's FABULOUS!, September 15, 2015
This review is from: Echoes of an Era (Audio CD)
This CD of Chaka Khan and company, ECHOES OF AN ERA, is sublime! It's wonderful and sounds spectacular.

I didn't even know about this album (issued in 1982) until I read about in the liner notes in the recently remastered release of Live: Stompin at the Savoy. Anyway, from my understanding while Chaka was still in transition from being Rufus front-woman to being a solo-singer she recorded this album with some musical legends.

The ECHOES OF AN ERA album contains all classic jazz songs, mostly uptempo, and Khan is in EXCELLENT voice taking to the material like a fish to water. Her voice blends perfectly with the music especially with her phrasing and the way she makes her voice sound like a trumpet. She scats and swings on the fast songs and doesn't compete with the musical bridges, only to come sliding right back in. It isn't just Chaka that shines on the songs but the other musicians on the album as well. They all have the spot light shone on them during the tracks.

And even though Khan is singing songs that have been associated with some of the greatest jazz singers of all time, she makes them all her own.

This really could've been a double length LP with more material because it's that good.

I didn't realize that this was an import from Japan (they seem to be better at preserving gems like this), so the inside booklet is in Japanese, but the back-cover is in English from the original album jacket, I'm guessing. I haven't read it yet because the typeface is teeny-tiny.

If you love Chaka Khan and/or jazz music in general get this CD. BTW, don't stop listening after the end of track 9 "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most" because after a few minutes of silence there's a hidden bonus track of interviews with the band members and Khan.

Dominate Salon Series Rok Waxx Hair Styling Wax With Beeswax, Extreme Hair Hold With A Defined Wet Look, 85g (3 oz)
Offered by Shopping Moa
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I'ts OKAY, August 25, 2015
The ROK WAXX STYLING WAX makes my hair greasy (hence the "wet" look name).

I've got really coarse and dry hair, straight, that's a bit difficult to manage and the ROK WAXX didn't hold my hair in place very well. Maybe this would work better on shorter hair, but it didn't do much on mine.

My hair style is shaved on the sides and longer on top and tapered long in the back (pseudo mohawk) so maybe the weight of my hair made it tough for this wax to hold but it's listed as the strongest hold factor for this brand.

Wellness WellBites Soft Natural Dog Treats Made in USA Only, Lamb & Salmon Biscuits, 8-Ounce Bag
Price: $9.15
19 used & new from $7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My Picky Shiba *LOVES* These!, August 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a 5-year old Shiba and she loves the WELLNESS WELLBITES LAMB & SALMON snacks. They're soft and can be broken into little pieces for training treats.

The first ingredients are lamb, salmon, brown rice, and oatmeal, so they're not loaded with fillers as the main thing.

Anyway, my Shiba is pretty picky about dog food/snacks and she loves these so I'm sure your dog will too.

Season of the Witch: Enchantment, Terror and Deliverance in the City of Love
Season of the Witch: Enchantment, Terror and Deliverance in the City of Love
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An *AMAZING* City With An *AMAZING* PAST STORY!, July 30, 2015
I don't know how factual David Talbot's book SEASON OF THE WITCH: ENCHANTMENT, TERROR AND DELIVERANCE IN THE CITY OF LOVE is, but I was riveted to my Kindle reading it.

It's basically the story of how San Francisco, CA, became the liberal breath-taking (and very expensive) city that we know today. I had no idea that there were some seriously opposing factions both ultra-conservative and ultra-liberal that were at war with one another in this city for quite sometime before it become known as a liberal place. Reading the book and it could have very easily gone the other way, become an ultra-conservative city, because during the time it was anyone's guess as to which way it could've gone.

Talbot writes in an engaging style and it's like a soap-opera unfolding before your eyes. He guides the reader in with an introduction to a character who would rise to power in SF and he covers all the players from Dianne Feinstein to Jim Jones; Harvey Milk to Patty Hearst, and more.

There are three explosive decades that Talbot focuses on and they're the 60s, 70s and 80s. He covers the hippie invasion and the rock scene from the Haight district in the 60s, including the push back from conservatives, while also talking about a serial killing gang that was going around killing white people, at the same time that the Zodiac killer was on the loose. This was also about the same time that a charismatic preacher named Jim Jones started making a name for himself and moved his "Peoples Temple" to the city.

Talbot then takes the reader into the 70s where the gay movement starts taking form with the election of Harvey Milk, and then the horrific assassination of Milk and Mayor Moscone, which then forced Supervisor Dianne Feinstein to takeover as mayor of the city and try and pull it together (she did beautifully and revived an political career that was all but dead). As if that weren't enough, almost immediately after that double killing, while the city was reeling, the mass suicide of Jim Jones and his cult (many now known to have been murdered) happened in Guyana, which wouldn't have been much of a connection to SF, but Jones had amassed political power in the city by helping certain politicians get elected. Because of this influence, many calls for investigations into the "Peoples Temple" fell on deaf ears, while it was in the city and when it moved out of the country.

And just when it seems that the city has seen its last darkest days, a mysterious disease starts popping up among gay men, which brings us into the 80s. The disease was AIDS and it was killing off the men in alarming numbers and it also threaten to derail all the progress for equality that the gay community had secured up to that point.

You won't be able to put this book down. The only thing that would've been the icing on the cake for this book would've been too include pictures.

After reading SEASON OF THE WITCH..., I now realize why I have always felt an affinity with San Francisco.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20