ARRAY(0x99d5e660)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 888

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alex Honda "onyx575" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Gillette Body Razor 1 Count
Gillette Body Razor 1 Count
Price: $7.97

3.0 out of 5 stars With Some *Tweaks* This Could Be 5-Star Razor!, April 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although it was a great idea, the GILLETTE BODY RAZOR FOR MEN needs some improving.

Yes, it was much easier to shave the boys because of the rounded corners of the razor head, but for some reason it seemed to get clogged faster than my regular razor. At first I thought it was because the head was smaller on the body razor, but that's only an optical illusion; it appears smaller when looking at both the body razor and my Mach 3, but on closer inspection the razor is exactly the same size (see pics above).

If GILLETTE made the razor's head longer, while keeping the rounded edges, I'm sure it wouldn't get clogged so fast.

Another issue is the cheap feel of it! It really feels like a disposable razor rather than one you can buy refill heads for. I don't know if this was due to trying to keep the razor light-weight, but it feels really delicate.

Likewise, the release button for the cartridge feels very flimsy, not at all like the Fusion or Mach 3, and so I'm not sure how long the handle would last.

And it doesn't come with a holding case or cover for the head, just the cheap plastic it came in (see photo), so none of this screams a razor that you'd want to keep and refill. I did double check to make sure this was NOT a disposable razor and it isn't; there are razor cartridges that you can purchase.

Aside from these issues, the GILLETTE BODY RAZOR does the job and makes it a lot easier to shave downstairs. When Gillette makes those fixes above this razor will be a 5-star game changer -- at least for the body. The razor itself is reasonably priced, but until those fixes are in, I'm not sure if the upgrade is worth it? The cartridges still cost double the price of the razor.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2014 9:20 PM PDT

King Oscar Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Hot Jalapeno Peppers, Double Layer, 3.75 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Price: $35.27
2 used & new from $35.27

5.0 out of 5 stars *Medium-Heat* Tasty Even With Olive Oil!, April 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I find the KING OSCAR SARDINE WITH JALAPENO delicious! The jalapenos give it a nice kick and the spiciness cuts down on the unctuous taste of the olive oil, so it's a good combination. Normally I buy my sardines packed in water because I'm not too fond of that oily olive oil taste, but with the added cut jalapenos I like it.

Even though the jalapenos are cut and layered on top of the sardines, the fish have picked up some of the heat, so picking the peppers off won't help if you're giving them to someone who doesn't want any hotness on their tongue or is sensitive to spicy foods.

To me the hot scale is medium-hot, whereas something like Sriracha Hot Sauce I consider hot, so keep that in mind. I like spicy foods so what might be medium-hot to me maybe too hot for those who only want mild heat.

Anyway, these sardines are great for snacking on. Here's a tip: add some soy sauce to it to further reduce the oiliness of the olive oil.

Waggin' Train Chicken Jerky Tenders Dog Treats
Waggin' Train Chicken Jerky Tenders Dog Treats
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells Like *Fried Chicken* And Made With Only *CHICKEN BREAST* & Glycerin., March 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Great tasting and you can smell the chicken! My furry child loves the PURINA WAGGIN' TRAIN CHICKEN JERKY TREATS that she gobbles them up even though she has a small mouth and normally doesn't like to eat large things (I usually have to break snacks into smaller pieces, but in this case she makes an exception).

The WAGGIN' TRAIN CHICKEN JERKY TREATS are made with just chicken breast and glycerin, so no by-products or any other fillers and that's great for those who are trying to eliminate that stuff from their pet's food and treats.

I give two jerky sticks for her weight and she loves them! Might I also add that my dog is very PICKY about what she eats -- snacks included -- so if she goes wild for these snacks, I'm sure your pooch will, too.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2014 2:28 PM PDT

Topeak CageMount
Topeak CageMount
Price: $9.00
15 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I Bought This With The *Topeak Water Bottle* Cage, March 14, 2014
I bought the TOPEAK CAGE MOUNT to use with the TOPEAK MODULA CAGE EX WATER BOTTLE HOLDER to hold my Polar Water Bottle on my bike.

When I was installing it, I thought that the mount wasn't going to hold securely to the bike's frame because when I adjusted the metal strip (you can't see the strip until you take it apart) to the hole that was closest to the frame it wasn't shut all the way and the next hole was too small. But as I tightened the nut inside the body of the mount, the ring did tighten nicely.

There's a piece of rubber/plastic that keeps the metal strip from coming into contact with the bike's frame and it keeps it held flush and securely.

I took one star off because you have to buy these things (water cage AND the mount) separately! You can't mount the water cage without it so I don't know why Topeak sells them this way.

From Out of the Woods - Expanded Edition
From Out of the Woods - Expanded Edition
Price: $14.98
23 used & new from $10.42

5.0 out of 5 stars *Exquisite* Voice With Top Notch Production!, March 14, 2014
I never knew that Ren Woods had released a couple of albums since they weren't commercial hits. However I remember her from her acting work in the movies "Car Wash" --even though she had such a small role-- and in her dynamic vocal performance in Milos Forman's screen adaptation of the rock musical "Hair." Again Woods only had a tiny role, she sang the opening song "Aquarius" in the movie and that was it, but it left an indelible impression on me. She also had small acting roles on television.

Anyway, when I came across this re-release I was excited and turned to YouTube to hear some samples (I don't know why you can no longer sample songs on Amazon for certain CDs) and I was again blown away by that wonderful voice.

This album came out in 1979, which was at the beginning of the backlash against disco music that eventually spun out of control and ended in Comiskey Park's "Disco Demolition Night," so I can see why this album gained no traction or attention and it wasn't because of a lack of talent or shoddy slap-together material.

It has an excellent disco sound, but not the overly lush orchestrations like the Andrea True Connection (More, More, More) or repetitive chants like Silver Convention (Fly, Robin, Fly). The sound on this album is more along the lines of Donna Summer with full lyrics and choruses and actual singing.

The album was produced by Earth, Wind & Fire's guitarist, Al McKay, and it does have that sort of flavor, too. Most of the tracks are upbeat and danceable grooves, but there are a couple of ballads on here including the heart-aching "I Need Someone To Touch Me," and "I'm In Love With You" that sounds a lot like Deniece Williams's "I Found Love" and "Cause You Love Me."

Incidentally, Ren Woods sounds like a cross between Deniece Williams with shades of Stephanie Mills, but retains her own unique song styling and she can sing! Whether on ballads or the uptempo disco numbers, Woods handles both with ease. And the producers of the album allow that voice to shine, which is why I say that this album had top notch production.

I can't express how many times I've been disappointed by finding re-released material that contained one strong single while the rest of the album tracks were filler! I found none of that on Ren Woods OUT OF THE WOODS EXPANDED EDITION CD. I enjoyed the CD from start to finish, including the bonus tracks.

The CD contains liner notes written by music journalist Alex Henderson (Oct '13), which provides information on Woods, this album, etc. and why she hasn't been a more prolific recording artist.

According to the liner notes, Woods is back in the recording studio and doing a cover version of the Cherrelle and Alexander O'Neal's duet hit "Saturday Love."

It's too bad that bad timing is to blame for this album tanking commercially because had it been a hit, there would've been more output from this wonderful singer.

PetSafe indigo Fresh Floss Bones, Medium
PetSafe indigo Fresh Floss Bones, Medium
Price: $19.99
21 used & new from $14.07

4.0 out of 5 stars My Shiba *Ate* 1, March 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The PETSAFE INDIGO FRESH FLOSS BONES MEDIUM might've been too big for my 3-year old Shiba. She's about 20lbs and the medium is recommended for dogs between 25-60lbs, which I didn't know when I chose them for my Vine selection.

Anyway, I've got a picky dog! She did eat the first one, which took her a while, licking it, whimpering, licking it, and then finally gnawing on it like she should, but maybe because of the size she didn't want to be bothered by them again. I'm sure if they tasted more like meat she would've made the effort, but I guess the payoff wasn't worth it.

I tried to break one of the FLOSS BONES in half so she could chew it easily, but they're really hard and rubbery, so it wasn't possible. They also give off a sour type of scent, which might be the blueberry juice in them, I'm not sure, but my dog won't eat them anymore.

I think this has to do with the size rather than the taste, but like I said I've got a picky dog when it comes to dental cleaning treats. She loves Greenies and Bully Sticks, but won't touch Terrabones, so go figure.

Anyway, the medium size is for bigger dogs 25-60lbs and the bag says that these treats are NOT recommended for dogs under 5lbs or under 6-months of age.

Clear Scalp and Hair Intense Hydration Nourishing Shampoo, 12.9 Ounce
Clear Scalp and Hair Intense Hydration Nourishing Shampoo, 12.9 Ounce
Price: $5.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Works *Nicely* My Hair is Soft!, March 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using the CLEAR SCALP AND HAIR INTENSE HYDRATION SHAMPOO every other day for several weeks and I like it.

The shampoo has a pear-scent (reminds me of the Bath and Body Works "Marshmallow World" body lotion) and it instantly foams and softens the hair! I've got coarse and dry hair and with the CLEAR SCALP SHAMPOO, I can use it and I don't have to do a separate conditioning step. But I do use a scalp oil as a leave-in treatment, even still the shampoo left my hair nice and soft in the shower.

* Pear Scented
* Velvety Foam
* Rinses Clean
* Hair Feels Soft

I haven't tried the conditioner but I'm sure it works great if used in combination with each other.

TP-LINK TL-WR710N 150Mbps Wireless N Mini Pocket Router, Repeater, Client, 2 LAN Ports, USB Port for Charging and Storage
Offered by Network Giant
Price: $29.99
68 used & new from $20.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Work As *Repeater* ! But That Might Be My Fault! UPDATE!!!, February 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After reading the product description, I was hoping to use the TP-LINK TL-WR710N MINI ROUTER as a Wi-Fi booster in "repeater mode" because the reception in my home-office is somewhat weak.

I'm not an IT expert but I have been able to configure another portable mini-router before, which I use when I go on vacation, so I figured that I could do the same with this one but I couldn't get it to work in that mode.

First of all the Ethernet cable that is supplied is so short that it makes it difficult to set-up the TP-LINK MINI ROUTER for any use other than the default setting of wireless router. For the other selection modes (client-repeater-access point-WISP client) you have to have the mini router connected to your computer and an AC outlet, so that you can change the configuration from the default setting. Also, in the instructions it says that the light on the device is blue, but it was green on mine, and there's no legend for other colors; it's either a solid light or a blinking one, so that was a little confusing.

BTW, I did this on my Sony Vaio laptop, Win 7 (OS-Operating System)/64-bit.

I followed the instructions for "repeater/client mode" and everything went as outlined: I was able to sign into the TP-LINK setup page, set the router to "repeater" and then have it search for available Wi-Fi networks. It found mine and I selected it, put in the SSID password, and then clicked "reboot," which restarts the router with the new settings.

I removed the Ethernet cable and I looked down at my Wi-Fi settings in Windows and saw that the signal strength was indeed boosted and described as 'excellent,' but when I tried to access the internet I got nothing. No connection at all, so I tried to do the entire process again and as soon as I plugged in the Ethernet cable to my lap top, I was able to access the internet, but if I removed it I got nothing -- even though the Wi-Fi signal was full strength.

According to the instructions, once you reboot you must sign on to the Wi-Fi using the "instant wireless connection" instructions, which says that you must select the TP-LINK's SSID and sign on that way, but I don't see it in my list of available Wi-Fi networks! So I went through the same set-up process a few more times, thinking maybe I missed a step, but to no avail. The TP-LINK MINI ROUTER doesn't show up for me to sign on, and if I sign on using my regular SSID, I get nothing! It connects but then I have no internet use whatsoever.

Since I don't want to screw everything up on my computer, I'm going to leave it alone for right now until I can ask our IT guy when he comes around again.

I give it 3-stars because it did boost signal strength and it did work while tethered to my laptop's Ethernet port, which means it was receiving the Wi-Fi signal from my office network (I checked my computer settings that confirmed that it was receiving the Wi-Fi signal through the MINI-ROUTER, which was then transferring it to my laptop through the Ethernet port giving me an internet connection, and not through my normal Wi-Fi port on my laptop), so it might be a user error (on my part) type of situation and the fix could be really simple, but I don't know what it is.

The process should be a lot easier if you're only using the device as a router like in a hotel room since it should be plug and play.

If I do find the solution I'll update this review, but in the meantime I better leave well enough alone because I don't want to really screw up my office network.

UPDATE 03/05/14
I have upgrade my review to 5-stars. Thanks to another Amazonian, C B, who suggested I try using IE in the comments section, I was able to get the device working as a repeater by using Internet Explorer to set it up! I knew it might've been something simple, but I didn't know what! I was using Firefox initially and although it allowed me to set-up the TP LINK I couldn't get a connection unless it was connected to my computer. Now, it's working like it should and boosting my existing router's signal strength to full and I don't have it hardwired.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2014 2:57 PM PST

Baxter of California Night Cream AHA, 4 fl. oz.
Baxter of California Night Cream AHA, 4 fl. oz.
Price: $24.00
4 used & new from $24.00

5.0 out of 5 stars HYDRATING and **NON-GREASY** RENEWAL Cream For Men!, February 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm slowly but surely becoming a BAXTER OF CALIFORNIA convert! I really like the BAXTER OF CALIFORNIA NIGHT CREAM AHA (Alpha-Hydroxy-Acid) because it goes on thick and velvety, but has absolutely NO GREASY feel or look, including the next day!

Normally when I use a night time facial cream that moisturizes, my face will end up looking like a grease pit in the morning -- but not with this cream. I have combination, oily with dry areas, skin and I occasionally breakout, but experienced no adverse reaction to this cream; it left my skin feeling nicely hydrated and soft.

I don't have deep wrinkles, but I do have some fine lines on my forehead and in-between my eyebrows and after using the BAXTER OF CALIFORNIA NIGHT CREAM for nearly a month the lines have softened a bit. I'm sure with continued use they'll be almost non-existent.

This cream, like all other BAXTER OF CALIFORNIA products, is supposed to be specifically formulated for men's skin, which tends to be thicker and oilier than women's, according to research, and so perhaps that's why it works better than the average night cream that you find in the drugstores.

Although it's described as an Alpha-Hydroxy Acid cream it won't leave you red with burned and peeling skin like a prescription one (i.e. Retin-A), so don't worry about that unless you have the most sensitive of skin. You should also wear a sunscreen in the daytime after you start using this cream because AHA creams leave the skin ultra-sensitive to sunlight and UV rays, and so your skin is more susceptible to getting burned (even when you'd normally tan).

I highly recommend this cream to guys of all ages! Although the price might turn some men off you're really getting a lot for your money because you only need to apply a little bit and it is a fairly large sized tube. Most men should definitely add products to their hygiene routine, other than soap and shaving cream, so that they can look their best no matter what age they are and BAXTER OF CALIFORNIA can help with that.

PLUSES
* Safety-Sealed
* Thick, Velvety Texture
* Slight Scent of Soap(?)
* Non-Greasy
* Large "Tooth-Paste" Size

MINUSES
* None

Baxter of California Oil Free Moisturizer, 4 fl. oz.
Baxter of California Oil Free Moisturizer, 4 fl. oz.
Price: $20.00
4 used & new from $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Provides *MATTE* Finish With *HYDRATION, February 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was really surprised at how well the BAXTER OF CALIFORNIA OIL FREE MOISTURIZER performed on my skin. I have combination oily and sometimes dry skin, but mostly oily in the "T-Zone" area, which is the forehead, nose and chin.

This moisturizer immediately absorbed into my face and my skin felt hydrated. It left no oily shine or texture and it doesn't feel oily or leave your face with a greasy after feel. And my face was pretty much shine-free for the rest of the day at work.

BAXTER OF CALIFORNIA OIL FREE MOISTURIZER has no scent and is formulated for men's skin. I don't know if I really believe that there's that much of a difference between guys' and gals' skin (research says that there is and men tend to have thicker, oilier skin than their female counterparts) but this moisturizer works much better than other "oil-free" ones that I've tried.

I'm also experiencing better performance from other BAXTER OF CALIFORNIA products like the body lotion, so maybe there is some difference in how a product is formulated and whether it's designed for male or females.

The only reason I don't give a full five stars is because the moisturizer doesn't contain a sunscreen so you'll have to do an extra step if you're going to be out in the sun at all. Also, for those with really dry skin, or patches of dryness caused by chemical peels or acne medication, this moisturizer won't be able to do the job on those areas.

I break out occasionally and use acne products that contain Benzoyl Peroxide, which my skin can handle most of the time, but every now and then the medicine will cause me to get extremely dry patches of skin and the BAXTER OF CALIF OIL FREE didn't help in those areas.

Other than those two issues this is a great product line for men!

PLUSES